Shooting a gun that hasn't be fired in years - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Shooting a gun that hasn't be fired in years

I have a Remington 700 .30-06 that's about 7 years old. The gun has seen maybe 100 rounds in it's lifetime. I haven't fired the gun in 5 years or so but I'd like to take it to a range soon. Are there any precautions I should take before firing it? Should it be cleaned?

ZYouL8R is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 08:44 AM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
I'd just run something through the bore to make sure it's clear.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
I'd hope the firing pin spring wasn't kept in the cocked position, Any time i store a rifle even for just a few weeks, I put an old used case in and drop the firing pin against the primer. Another thing is I hope you cleaned it before storage, the bore and bolt could both be corroded if not.

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn
 
ZYouL8R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Laughlin AFB
Posts: 5,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
I'd hope the firing pin spring wasn't kept in the cocked position, Any time i store a rifle even for just a few weeks, I put an old used case in and drop the firing pin against the primer. Another thing is I hope you cleaned it before storage, the bore and bolt could both be corroded if not.
I've never cleaned this gun. Before I stored it I removed the bolt. I'm not sure if the pin is cocked or not.

ZYouL8R is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 09:38 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I've never cleaned this gun.
That's a bad choice period.

Slowhand is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Forney, TX, USA
Posts: 1,359
Checking it for operability is a good idea. Look down the barrel, work the action, chamber and un-chamber a few rounds in a safe environment. Perhaps run a bore snake or other cleaning instrument down the bore. Dry fire. Oil the action and bolt.

Go over the metal on the gun and check for rust and wear.

I've asked a few people that shoot a lot more than me and most guns are safe to dry fire.

For prolly less than 20$ or even less, a gunsmith can go over it.

Koning's in Terrell has been really great to me and my family's guns.

It's cheap insurance.

What was the status of the gun when it was put up?

"Don't taze me, bro."

Last edited by GT98SVO; 11-28-2007 at 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
GT98SVO is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
The token Asian guy
 
propellerhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SBRacing
Posts: 8,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO
For prolly less than 20$ or even less, a gunsmith can go over it.
That's probably your safest bet. Most gun ranges have a gun cleaning service for under $50. I had one of my pistols cleaned professionally when it got to the 10,000 round mark.

propellerhead is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the place that I am
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R
I've never cleaned this gun. Before I stored it I removed the bolt. I'm not sure if the pin is cocked or not.

On the remington bolt-actions, when you remove the bolt, it cocks it. I don't reccomend manully de-cocking it after you remove the bolt from the gun as it will not go in willingly unless the bolt is cocked and its a bitch to get back cocked by hand.
Red Shadow is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
I'd hope the firing pin spring wasn't kept in the cocked position, Any time i store a rifle even for just a few weeks, I put an old used case in and drop the firing pin against the primer.
You do realize that these instructions might result in an accidental shooting?

You probably mean that the firing pin needs to fall on an empty chamber
03trubluGT is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 05:15 AM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
You do realize that these instructions might result in an accidental shooting?

You probably mean that the firing pin needs to fall on an empty chamber
You sure you read that right?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 AM
PAN
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 20,154
I'd just run something through the bore to make sure it's clear.
Fox466 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT
You do realize that these instructions might result in an accidental shooting?

You probably mean that the firing pin needs to fall on an empty chamber
Nope I meant exactly what I wrote.... I try to keep the firing pin spring from being under tension for too long. I put a USED (empty, previously fired and not reloaded) case in the chamber and drop the pin. I have a couple of rifles with aftermarket titanium pins and stronger springs to reduce lock time and really don't want to go through the expense of replacing them sooner than necessary. I never drop the pin on an empty chamber, the most delicate part of your pin is the protrusion that fits through the bolt face and inertia alone has been known to snap the tip off and render your gun useless. A gunsmith that tells you it is ok to dry fire your weapon just wants your money from repairing it.

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
You sure you read that right?
DOH, nope. I didnt.....
03trubluGT is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 AM
duh...duh....duh
 
ceyko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: ES BEER
Posts: 9,543
I'd find some guy that you really don't like to tag along and have him pull the trigger first.

Since you said you never cleaned it, I'd take the gunsmith route. otherwise, I'd just clean is as good as possible, reoil and go to town.

My '03 Sold.
ceyko is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 AM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
Nope I meant exactly what I wrote.... I try to keep the firing pin spring from being under tension for too long. I put a USED (empty, previously fired and not reloaded) case in the chamber and drop the pin. I have a couple of rifles with aftermarket titanium pins and stronger springs to reduce lock time and really don't want to go through the expense of replacing them sooner than necessary. I never drop the pin on an empty chamber, the most delicate part of your pin is the protrusion that fits through the bolt face and inertia alone has been known to snap the tip off and render your gun useless. A gunsmith that tells you it is ok to dry fire your weapon just wants your money from repairing it.

snap caps are good too.
momo stallion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome