silencer for pistol legal? how hard to make one? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
silencer for pistol legal? how hard to make one?

Ok ive done a little reading but its still unclear to me. Can you legally "own" one but just not "use" one?

And how hard are they to make? The ones on the internet are going for $600-$1000

Questions, comments, concerns...

Of course any discussion here about this topic is for educational purposes only.
240m3srt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: drrty south
Posts: 4,003
Yes they are legal but have to be registered. I think it's like $200. Why would you want one anyways? You've gotta be using a small caliber weapon for it to be a true silencer.
ruffdaddy is offline  
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Silencers are legal to own and purchase. The way to purcahse is very different than normal weapons and accessories. I briefly explained the purchase method.

Fill out 2 Form 4s(application to register a firearm, supressor, DD, in your name), attach 2 passport photos, and have a Chief Law Enforcement Official sign the back of the Form 4s. Include 2 FBI fingerprint cards and a $200 check for the tax. Wait 3-6 weeks.

If you cant get the CLEO signoff, you can create a trust and purchase the items through the trust. NO CLEO signoff, no passport photos, no fingerprints to be done.

If one wants to build a silencer, they fill out a Form 1 instead of a Form 4. How difficult they are to make I have no idea, never tried probably never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
You've gotta be using a small caliber weapon for it to be a true silencer.
Not true, the term silencer is a little misleading. They're technically a supression of sound. While they dont "silence" the total weapon to what we see in movies, you can buy a can that will make an AR hearing safe and even .308. Of course running them dry over wet will also determine the quietness.

The only supressors that sound movie quie are .22 cans. My pilot I could shooti in my back yard. Only noise is a click and the ound of the slide.

My M4-2000 can Im waiting for transfer on makes my AR sound like a nail gun.

Last edited by Good_Ole_Red; 11-26-2007 at 12:48 PM.
David is offline  
 
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,801
8 post? and u wanna know about silencers
blackjack is offline  
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hurst
Posts: 288
Books

Hey man,

go grab a copy of "soldier of Fortune" or some such would-be hero magazine. They have all kinds of literature you can order on how to shop build silencers and compensators. I built one in high school (1984) with steel pipe and aluminum baffles with steel wool. It worked fantastic! It was huge though, about 18 inches long. I had it on a 22-250 and then on my Ruger 22. The threaded adapter was a bolt on so I didn't have to tap the baprrel of my Weatherby 22-250.

Catch is, the sonic report is going to happen. Muzzle blast can be squelched; sonic boom is not. On the .22, it made squirl hunting a whole new world. They would actually watch their buddy fall off the tree while I sighted the next fool tree-rat in :-)

Alright people, pay attention:
"To Many " is an address like in a toast or tribute while "Too Many " is an implication of excess.



I think I am the only non-fox guy out here!
To Many Mustangs is offline  
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
BIG BALLS MAGOO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Out in the boonies
Posts: 80
just use a potato

http://www.myspace.com/GrandMaster_B_
BIG BALLS MAGOO is offline  
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hurst
Posts: 288
Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BALLS MAGOO
just use a potato
LOL but it works!

Alright people, pay attention:
"To Many " is an address like in a toast or tribute while "Too Many " is an implication of excess.



I think I am the only non-fox guy out here!
To Many Mustangs is offline  
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
2-7 and still a fan!
 
BOOSTED32V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In a place that has become a ghost town...
Posts: 16,954
Yeah I made one with a 2 liter bottle for a .22 auto rifle, pretty simple too. I'm sure you can google it and see how it's made, it only works for the first several rounds and then the newspaper was catching on fire and then it started getting noticably (sp?) louder ...'H'
BOOSTED32V is offline  
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Forney, TX, USA
Posts: 1,359
22 short are pretty quiet. Basically, pellet gun loud.

But not many guns that shoot 22 short anymore.

"Don't taze me, bro."
GT98SVO is offline  
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: drrty south
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
Silencers are legal to own and purchase. The way to purcahse is very different than normal weapons and accessories. I briefly explained the purchase method.

Fill out 2 Form 4s(application to register a firearm, supressor, DD, in your name), attach 2 passport photos, and have a Chief Law Enforcement Official sign the back of the Form 4s. Include 2 FBI fingerprint cards and a $200 check for the tax. Wait 3-6 weeks.

If you cant get the CLEO signoff, you can create a trust and purchase the items through the trust. NO CLEO signoff, no passport photos, no fingerprints to be done.

If one wants to build a silencer, they fill out a Form 1 instead of a Form 4. How difficult they are to make I have no idea, never tried probably never will.



Not true, the term silencer is a little misleading. They're technically a supression of sound. While they dont "silence" the total weapon to what we see in movies, you can buy a can that will make an AR hearing safe and even .308. Of course running them dry over wet will also determine the quietness.

The only supressors that sound movie quie are .22 cans. My pilot I could shooti in my back yard. Only noise is a click and the ound of the slide.

My M4-2000 can Im waiting for transfer on makes my AR sound like a nail gun.
So by not true...you mean true...then go on to prove my point? Yes it is a supressor with larger caliber weapons...You will still be able to hear a shot going through something like a 9mm or 45. It just wont be as loud.
ruffdaddy is offline  
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.
 
Slowhand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Howard Johnson's Earthlight Room
Posts: 12,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
So by not true...you mean true...then go on to prove my point? Yes it is a supressor with larger caliber weapons...You will still be able to hear a shot going through something like a 9mm or 45. It just wont be as loud.
haha, noticed that as well.

Slowhand is offline  
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
So by not true...you mean true...then go on to prove my point? Yes it is a supressor with larger caliber weapons...You will still be able to hear a shot going through something like a 9mm or 45. It just wont be as loud.
Meh, I guess the point I was getting at was that a 9mm and a good wet 45 can will sound like a 22 at most. While they're not gonna totally silence the weapon, they are gonna make it much more quiet to use as whatever ones tactical advantage might be.
David is offline  
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
Meh, I guess the point I was getting at was that a 9mm and a good wet 45 can will sound like a 22 at most. While they're not gonna totally silence the weapon, they are gonna make it much more quiet to use as whatever ones tactical advantage might be.
I thought that regardless of caliber the main thing was that the round must be subsonic(less than speed of sound) in order not to create the sonic boom. So 380, 9mm, or 45 as long as the round isnt supersonic the weapon could be silenced....not just supressed....

But im probably wrong....haha. Thats just what a gun buddy told me

Sorry i only have 8 post im working on that
240m3srt is offline  
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei
 
PooterWS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mozambique
Posts: 19,759
Suppressor.
Silencers are for movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

Quote:
Suppressors are also popularly known as "silencers", though no suppressor completely eliminates the noise of discharging a firearm.[1]

The muffler for internal combustion engines was developed in parallel with the firearm suppressor by Hiram Maxim, using many of the same techniques to provide quieter-running engines.


I had to chuckle at the gunshow this weekend overhearing a guy telling his buddy how easy it was to make a "silencer", just stick a 2liter bottle over the end of the gun...

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

PooterWS6 is offline  
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt
I thought that regardless of caliber the main thing was that the round must be subsonic(less than speed of sound) in order not to create the sonic boom. So 380, 9mm, or 45 as long as the round isnt supersonic the weapon could be silenced....not just supressed....

But im probably wrong....haha. Thats just what a gun buddy told me

Sorry i only have 8 post im working on that
A gun will never be truly silenced. It's more or less, will the other guy be able to hear you or pick you up from their vantage point. I was always taught, they're not made to be silenced to you, just to who/what you're shooting at.
David is offline  
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
i was looking at those lil walther p22's with the can.pretty cool little pistol
01YZ2NV is offline  
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01YZ2NV
i was looking at those lil walther p22's with the can.pretty cool little pistol
I have a P22 with an AAC pilot can. .22 silenced pistols/rifles are the only guns that I have ever experienced that will be movie screen quiet.

They're so quiet it's laughable, literally it's a click and a puff.
David is offline  
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Baller
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: drrty south
Posts: 4,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt
I thought that regardless of caliber the main thing was that the round must be subsonic(less than speed of sound) in order not to create the sonic boom. So 380, 9mm, or 45 as long as the round isnt supersonic the weapon could be silenced....not just supressed....

But im probably wrong....haha. Thats just what a gun buddy told me

Sorry i only have 8 post im working on that
Yeah your friend didn't know what he was talking about really. The typical 220 grain (I think) .45 ACP round is subsonic. Try and silence that bitch. There's just more that needs to be done to lower the firing volume of a supersonic bullet because it's not just the round that makes the crack.
ruffdaddy is offline  
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
I have a P22 with an AAC pilot can. .22 silenced pistols/rifles are the only guns that I have ever experienced that will be movie screen quiet.

They're so quiet it's laughable, literally it's a click and a puff.
click...click....click.

A couple weeks ago there was a a guy at the range with a full auto 9mm suppressed AR and it was pretyy f'ing quiet.

ALLAN is offline  
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 AM
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
A gun will never be truly silenced. It's more or less, will the other guy be able to hear you or pick you up from their vantage point. I was always taught, they're not made to be silenced to you, just to who/what you're shooting at.
if you only have 1 target and its a lethal shot, they wont hear it anyway.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Horsepower Extractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Welding in shorts and a t-shirt.
Posts: 4,738
I need to silence my .357 magnum.
66Deuce is offline  
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 AM
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Deuce
I need to silence my .357 magnum.
i think you need a 3 liter bottle for that one, not a 2 liter

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 7
i need a new toy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlZhpZsbh4

Last edited by 240m3srt; 11-27-2007 at 09:59 AM.
240m3srt is offline  
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6




I had to chuckle at the gunshow this weekend overhearing a guy telling his buddy how easy it was to make a "silencer", just stick a 2liter bottle over the end of the gun...
worked for this dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAi9J...eature=related
DOHCTR is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
I have a P22 with an AAC pilot can. .22 silenced pistols/rifles are the only guns that I have ever experienced that will be movie screen quiet.

They're so quiet it's laughable, literally it's a click and a puff.
Use subsonic rounds? My 10/22 with subs is almost a joke to shoot, The bolt cycling is as loud as the report. I can only imagine what a can on it would do....

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
Use subsonic rounds? My 10/22 with subs is almost a joke to shoot, The bolt cycling is as loud as the report. I can only imagine what a can on it would do....
Nope. My understanding from talking with people, the P22 doesnt have a long enough barrel for the bullet to reach it's top velocity so it already stays under the sound barrier. Im sure with subsonic ammo it's even more quiet, but I dont know if you could run it in a P22.

On the 9mm and .45 cans with subsonic ammo and running the can wet make a huge difference.
David is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei
 
PooterWS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mozambique
Posts: 19,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
Technically the guy at the gunshow was talking about his 9mm, but yeah, it does seem to suppress the sound some on that .22

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

PooterWS6 is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Lifer
 
topher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Arlington
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
i think you need a 3 liter bottle for that one, not a 2 liter
that's what we used to use in da hood...they make nice throw away cans and are very quiet with a 22 and sub sonic ammo.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

topher is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Gunga galunga
 
jakesford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pimpin the West Side!! (Benbrook)
Posts: 7,544
This would be pretty cool to have

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=3150881

"Apres moi le deluge"


jakesford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome