silencer for pistol legal? how hard to make one? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

silencer for pistol legal? how hard to make one?

Ok ive done a little reading but its still unclear to me. Can you legally "own" one but just not "use" one?

And how hard are they to make? The ones on the internet are going for $600-$1000

Questions, comments, concerns...

Of course any discussion here about this topic is for educational purposes only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Baller

Yes they are legal but have to be registered. I think it's like $200. Why would you want one anyways? You've gotta be using a small caliber weapon for it to be a true silencer.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Lifer

Silencers are legal to own and purchase. The way to purcahse is very different than normal weapons and accessories. I briefly explained the purchase method.

Fill out 2 Form 4s(application to register a firearm, supressor, DD, in your name), attach 2 passport photos, and have a Chief Law Enforcement Official sign the back of the Form 4s. Include 2 FBI fingerprint cards and a $200 check for the tax. Wait 3-6 weeks.

If you cant get the CLEO signoff, you can create a trust and purchase the items through the trust. NO CLEO signoff, no passport photos, no fingerprints to be done.

If one wants to build a silencer, they fill out a Form 1 instead of a Form 4. How difficult they are to make I have no idea, never tried probably never will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy
You've gotta be using a small caliber weapon for it to be a true silencer.
Not true, the term silencer is a little misleading. They're technically a supression of sound. While they dont "silence" the total weapon to what we see in movies, you can buy a can that will make an AR hearing safe and even .308. Of course running them dry over wet will also determine the quietness.

The only supressors that sound movie quie are .22 cans. My pilot I could shooti in my back yard. Only noise is a click and the ound of the slide.

My M4-2000 can Im waiting for transfer on makes my AR sound like a nail gun.

Last edited by Good_Ole_Red; 11-26-2007 at 12:48 PM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:26 PM

8 post? and u wanna know about silencers
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Time Served

Books

Hey man,

go grab a copy of "soldier of Fortune" or some such would-be hero magazine. They have all kinds of literature you can order on how to shop build silencers and compensators. I built one in high school (1984) with steel pipe and aluminum baffles with steel wool. It worked fantastic! It was huge though, about 18 inches long. I had it on a 22-250 and then on my Ruger 22. The threaded adapter was a bolt on so I didn't have to tap the baprrel of my Weatherby 22-250.

Catch is, the sonic report is going to happen. Muzzle blast can be squelched; sonic boom is not. On the .22, it made squirl hunting a whole new world. They would actually watch their buddy fall off the tree while I sighted the next fool tree-rat in :-)

Alright people, pay attention:
"To Many " is an address like in a toast or tribute while "Too Many " is an implication of excess.

I think I am the only non-fox guy out here!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

just use a potato

http://www.myspace.com/GrandMaster_B_
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Time Served

Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BALLS MAGOO
just use a potato
LOL but it works!

Alright people, pay attention:
"To Many " is an address like in a toast or tribute while "Too Many " is an implication of excess.

I think I am the only non-fox guy out here!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 12:57 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Yeah I made one with a 2 liter bottle for a .22 auto rifle, pretty simple too. I'm sure you can google it and see how it's made, it only works for the first several rounds and then the newspaper was catching on fire and then it started getting noticably (sp?) louder ...'H'
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Old Fart

22 short are pretty quiet. Basically, pellet gun loud.

But not many guns that shoot 22 short anymore.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
Silencers are legal to own and purchase. The way to purcahse is very different than normal weapons and accessories. I briefly explained the purchase method.

Fill out 2 Form 4s(application to register a firearm, supressor, DD, in your name), attach 2 passport photos, and have a Chief Law Enforcement Official sign the back of the Form 4s. Include 2 FBI fingerprint cards and a $200 check for the tax. Wait 3-6 weeks.

If you cant get the CLEO signoff, you can create a trust and purchase the items through the trust. NO CLEO signoff, no passport photos, no fingerprints to be done.

If one wants to build a silencer, they fill out a Form 1 instead of a Form 4. How difficult they are to make I have no idea, never tried probably never will.

Not true, the term silencer is a little misleading. They're technically a supression of sound. While they dont "silence" the total weapon to what we see in movies, you can buy a can that will make an AR hearing safe and even .308. Of course running them dry over wet will also determine the quietness.

The only supressors that sound movie quie are .22 cans. My pilot I could shooti in my back yard. Only noise is a click and the ound of the slide.

My M4-2000 can Im waiting for transfer on makes my AR sound like a nail gun.
So by not true...you mean true...then go on to prove my point? Yes it is a supressor with larger caliber weapons...You will still be able to hear a shot going through something like a 9mm or 45. It just wont be as loud.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
So by not true...you mean true...then go on to prove my point? Yes it is a supressor with larger caliber weapons...You will still be able to hear a shot going through something like a 9mm or 45. It just wont be as loud.
haha, noticed that as well.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Meh, I guess the point I was getting at was that a 9mm and a good wet 45 can will sound like a 22 at most. While they're not gonna totally silence the weapon, they are gonna make it much more quiet to use as whatever ones tactical advantage might be.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Meh, I guess the point I was getting at was that a 9mm and a good wet 45 can will sound like a 22 at most. While they're not gonna totally silence the weapon, they are gonna make it much more quiet to use as whatever ones tactical advantage might be.
I thought that regardless of caliber the main thing was that the round must be subsonic(less than speed of sound) in order not to create the sonic boom. So 380, 9mm, or 45 as long as the round isnt supersonic the weapon could be silenced....not just supressed....

But im probably wrong....haha. Thats just what a gun buddy told me

Sorry i only have 8 post im working on that
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Suppressor.
Silencers are for movies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suppressor

Quote:
Suppressors are also popularly known as "silencers", though no suppressor completely eliminates the noise of discharging a firearm.[1]

The muffler for internal combustion engines was developed in parallel with the firearm suppressor by Hiram Maxim, using many of the same techniques to provide quieter-running engines.

I had to chuckle at the gunshow this weekend overhearing a guy telling his buddy how easy it was to make a "silencer", just stick a 2liter bottle over the end of the gun...

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt
I thought that regardless of caliber the main thing was that the round must be subsonic(less than speed of sound) in order not to create the sonic boom. So 380, 9mm, or 45 as long as the round isnt supersonic the weapon could be silenced....not just supressed....

A gun will never be truly silenced. It's more or less, will the other guy be able to hear you or pick you up from their vantage point. I was always taught, they're not made to be silenced to you, just to who/what you're shooting at.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Lifer

i was looking at those lil walther p22's with the can.pretty cool little pistol
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01YZ2NV
i was looking at those lil walther p22's with the can.pretty cool little pistol
I have a P22 with an AAC pilot can. .22 silenced pistols/rifles are the only guns that I have ever experienced that will be movie screen quiet.

They're so quiet it's laughable, literally it's a click and a puff.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240m3srt

Yeah your friend didn't know what he was talking about really. The typical 220 grain (I think) .45 ACP round is subsonic. Try and silence that bitch. There's just more that needs to be done to lower the firing volume of a supersonic bullet because it's not just the round that makes the crack.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-26-2007, 02:27 PM
Meeeeooowww

Quote:
I have a P22 with an AAC pilot can. .22 silenced pistols/rifles are the only guns that I have ever experienced that will be movie screen quiet.

click...click....click.

A couple weeks ago there was a a guy at the range with a full auto 9mm suppressed AR and it was pretyy f'ing quiet.

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:12 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
A gun will never be truly silenced. It's more or less, will the other guy be able to hear you or pick you up from their vantage point. I was always taught, they're not made to be silenced to you, just to who/what you're shooting at.
if you only have 1 target and its a lethal shot, they wont hear it anyway.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Horsepower Extractor

I need to silence my .357 magnum.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:13 AM
600 plus a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Deuce
I need to silence my .357 magnum.
i think you need a 3 liter bottle for that one, not a 2 liter

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

i need a new toy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlZhpZsbh4

Last edited by 240m3srt; 11-27-2007 at 09:59 AM.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6

I had to chuckle at the gunshow this weekend overhearing a guy telling his buddy how easy it was to make a "silencer", just stick a 2liter bottle over the end of the gun...
worked for this dude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAi9J...eature=related
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Saved

Quote:

Use subsonic rounds? My 10/22 with subs is almost a joke to shoot, The bolt cycling is as loud as the report. I can only imagine what a can on it would do....

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 09:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
Use subsonic rounds? My 10/22 with subs is almost a joke to shoot, The bolt cycling is as loud as the report. I can only imagine what a can on it would do....
Nope. My understanding from talking with people, the P22 doesnt have a long enough barrel for the bullet to reach it's top velocity so it already stays under the sound barrier. Im sure with subsonic ammo it's even more quiet, but I dont know if you could run it in a P22.

On the 9mm and .45 cans with subsonic ammo and running the can wet make a huge difference.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
Technically the guy at the gunshow was talking about his 9mm, but yeah, it does seem to suppress the sound some on that .22

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket
i think you need a 3 liter bottle for that one, not a 2 liter
that's what we used to use in da hood...they make nice throw away cans and are very quiet with a 22 and sub sonic ammo.

1989 coupe
2006 R6S

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 07:25 PM
Gunga galunga

This would be pretty cool to have

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=3150881

"Apres moi le deluge"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement