A little luck - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
A little luck

Here's a 5 1/2 year old taken off my lease yesterday evening.... Guy could only see his head as it lurked in the brush, hit him with a 22-250 right behind the ear....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Big buck.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	80722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Buck 2.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	80723  

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 04:48 AM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
cool
grove rat is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
You know that 22-250 is to small for deer just like the .223 is.
You have to have a 7 mag or bigger.

Nice kill man.

ALLAN is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
You know that 22-250 is to small for deer just like the .223 is.
You have to have a 7 mag or bigger.

Nice kill man.
I'm not gonna get in the argument of what caliber is best, but, I've taken everything from Bobcat,turkey, coyotes, whitetail, desert muley, Rocky Mountain muley, and elk with a 25-06..... Joe has a very nice kimber in 22-250 and was waiting for a turkey to come in when that beast came in through the brush, I rough scored it tonight at a net of 154 3/8" and it had a broken right G2 that cost him at least 4 inches..... not quite a 160 class buck, but bad for a low fence Coleman County deer.

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
yea well i hit one the other day in my van doin 55 with the headlights on and the horn a blowin,,,,,,they are an elusive creature!! nice buck
01YZ2NV is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
I'm not gonna get in the argument of what caliber is best, but, I've taken everything from Bobcat,turkey, coyotes, whitetail, desert muley, Rocky Mountain muley, and elk with a 25-06..... Joe has a very nice kimber in 22-250 and was waiting for a turkey to come in when that beast came in through the brush, I rough scored it tonight at a net of 154 3/8" and it had a broken right G2 that cost him at least 4 inches..... not quite a 160 class buck, but bad for a low fence Coleman County deer.
Just F'ing with you. My grandfather use to get them with .22hornet.

ALLAN is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 03:30 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In the place that I am
Posts: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01YZ2NV
yea well i hit one the other day in my van doin 55 with the headlights on and the horn a blowin,,,,,,they are an elusive creature!! nice buck



Slow the bullet down, add a little horn and they will start jumping in front of the bullet
Red Shadow is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Adrift at Sea
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN
You know that 22-250 is to small for deer just like the .223 is.
You have to have a 7 mag or bigger.

Nice kill man.
No way, 300mag. is bare min.

Capt. Quint is my hero

Mama Tried, Mama Tried
MACH '69 is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 726
can't go wrong with the ole 50 cal BMG
srt-4_i_swear is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM
In the field
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Terrell, TX
Posts: 1,280
Nice deer!

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"
Pewter Y2K Z28 is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: naked on the bean bag chair eating cheetos
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Stallion
Here's a 5 1/2 year old taken off my lease yesterday evening.... Guy could only see his head as it lurked in the brush, hit him with a 22-250 right behind the ear....
Make me depressed I shot over the back (bow) of a 140 class opening weekend of rifle season . Nice free range kill .

******If you can't feed em don't breed em******
SOLOW55 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 299
556

Yesterday at the range a .223 rd fmj went through 1 inch of solid steel and kept on going. Who ever thinks a .223 is to small needs to check it again.

Also we used an old K98 German Mauser 7mm I belive and it would not penetrate it.I thought that big ass round would for sure.It just put a big dent and gash in it.
sanddragger28 is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 726
the problem with the 223 is not its penetrating power, but instead its energy. With such a small grain bullet you may hit the deer but there is also chances of traveling through without a fatal shot. I believe thats why the poster shot the deer in the head wanted to be sure it would fall with a small round. Not saying to have to go crazy with caliber size but you have better chances with a bullet with a must higher energy level down range.

Last edited by srt-4_i_swear; 11-12-2007 at 05:51 PM.
srt-4_i_swear is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 05:49 PM
next...
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: In little mexico
Posts: 545
nice rack, i don't think i would have hit him in the head tho. mount that biotch
stroked_gt is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Saved
 
Wild Stallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Moving to the Big House!
Posts: 1,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear
can't go wrong with the ole 50 cal BMG
I actually have a nice little M95, but can't get that damn thing in the blind with me.....

Quote:
the problem with the 223 is not its penetrating power, but instead its energy. With such a small grain bullet you may hit the deer but there is also chances of traveling through without a fatal shot. I believe thats why the poster shot the deer in the head wanted to be sure it would fall with a small round. Not saying to have to go crazy with caliber size but you have better chances with a bullet with a must higher energy level down range.
Ding Ding! we have a winner, actually a high neck shot... Joe is one of a very few that I have seen follow my lead and shoot turkey in the head....

Quote:
nice rack, i don't think i would have hit him in the head tho. mount that biotch
At the taxidermist now

"Conform to his image" Romans 8:29
Wild Stallion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome