A rebutal to "D*mn. Know Your Weapon" - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

A rebutal to "D*mn. Know Your Weapon"

I guess it's one thing to have a safety on a weapon and remember to take it off before firing. It's an entirely different thing to have a loaded firearm and NOT have the safety on. Senseless death that could have been prevented if they practiced some gun safety (and some common sense).

Quote:
Accidental gunshot leads to head-on crash

Pickup driver killed; vehicle crossed median and collided with another truck

11:00 AM CST on Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Associated Press

ABILENE, Texas – A pickup driver was killed by the accidental discharge of a hunting rifle held by his friend, causing a head-on collision that injured five people, authorities said.

James Michael Edwards, 22, of Abilene, died after a high-caliber rifle held by a back-seat passenger accidentally fired and sent the bullet through the front seat, Justice of the Peace Mike Pueschel said.

Pueschel said he determined the Sunday night shooting was accidental after talking to one of the three men injured in the pickup and a sheriff's deputy who had spoken with the passenger believed to be holding the rifle.

"That boy's life is going to be changed," Pueschel said, referring to the victim's friend holding the gun. "You can't imagine what they're going through."

The Taylor County Sheriff's Office requested Sunday night and Monday that an autopsy be done, but Pueschel declined, saying it was not necessary because there was too little evidence.

Sgt. John Cummins said detectives are investigating the case as an accidental shooting but have not ruled out filing charges, such as criminally negligent homicide. He said an autopsy is routine in any type of death investigation.

The pickup driven by Edwards crossed the Interstate 20 median near Tye and collided head-on with another pickup, sending its driver and passenger to the hospital.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Lifer

That's how my dad got one of his bullet wounds.

Him and some friends were shooting rats and racing cars around a junkyard. Kid in the backseat was playing with a .22 rifle. It went off and through the seat into my dad. Dad wound up driving straight to the hospital.

It's also one of his coolest/meanest scars. Looks like he was cut in half by a chain saw.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 03:23 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose
I guess it's one thing to have a safety on a weapon and remember to take it off before firing. It's an entirely different thing to have a loaded firearm and NOT have the safety on. Senseless death that could have been prevented if they practiced some gun safety (and some common sense).
Man that is so sad. Thoughts and Prayers to all involved.

But no that is not what a safety should be relied upon for. The firearm should
have the action open and clear and then held in a safe direction at the very least.

Capt. Quint is my hero

Mama Tried, Mama Tried

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Lifer

That is terribly sad.
I guess I just don't see the relevence to the other story.
This is a ND negligent discharge from someone not even carrying a concealed weapon for instance.
They were driving down an interstate witha loaded rifle. Heck it's bad enough hunting fromthe bed of a pickup truck, but this is even stupider.
this is not related to defensive purposes at all.
I guess it proves it stupid to turn the safety off and pull the trigger while point ing a rifle in an unsafe direction but I don't see how this has any relevance to carryin ga weapon with no safety such as a glock.
As sad as this is, it was an easily avoided accident. Unlike say my button on my jeans say catching the trigger of a glock because I decided to mexican carry or something without a holster.
Safetys are great but when you really need your gun , it's one second too late to click it off.
It inevitatibly happens no matter how much you hunt. Sometimes you forget to click it off.

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH '69
Man that is so sad. Thoughts and Prayers to all involved.

But no that is not what a safety should be relied upon for. The firearm should
have the action open and clear and then held in a safe direction at the very least.
I should have worded it differently. Your correct, action open and clear and pointed in a safe direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant
That is terribly sad.
I guess I just don't see the relevence to the other story.
This is a ND negligent discharge from someone not even carrying a concealed weapon for instance.
They were driving down an interstate witha loaded rifle. Heck it's bad enough hunting fromthe bed of a pickup truck, but this is even stupider.
this is not related to defensive purposes at all.
I guess it proves it stupid to turn the safety off and pull the trigger while point ing a rifle in an unsafe direction but I don't see how this has any relevance to carryin ga weapon with no safety such as a glock.
As sad as this is, it was an easily avoided accident. Unlike say my button on my jeans say catching the trigger of a glock because I decided to mexican carry or something without a holster.
Safetys are great but when you really need your gun , it's one second too late to click it off.
It inevitatibly happens no matter how much you hunt. Sometimes you forget to click it off.
My reason for posting this was to show an extreme case of not having a safe weapon can cause injury. In comparison to the "D*mn. Know Your Weapon" thread where the guy had the safety on and it got him killed.

Anyway, interesting story and I thought I'd share.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 03:05 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose

My reason for posting this was to show an extreme case of not having a safe weapon can cause injury. In comparison to the "D*mn. Know Your Weapon" thread where the guy had the safety on and it got him killed.
On the flip side, that has saved a few cops that carry weapons with safeties.
Some one grabs their gun and can't figure it out for a few seconds giving the
cop time to pull a backup or shotgun.

Capt. Quint is my hero

Mama Tried, Mama Tried
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 04:35 PM
EW
Procrastination Racing

Any safety course is going to tell you to unload before getting in vehicle and before crossing fences like that story last week. Gotta follow the rules.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Painting Your House

I ended my duck hunt early the other day when having an accidental discharge. I had some duck coming in and I slipped the safety off and started to get ready for aim. At that time, the duck took a turn, so I pulled my duck call out to try getting them to turn back around. I let go of the call and as I picked up my gun, somehow the call got in the trigger guard and set off the gun. It made me plain sick to my stomach to think of all the possibilities that could have taken place. I unloaded my gun and went out to gather the decoys and headed home.
I have always been a very careful gun handler and hunter. Safety always off, gun always pointed away and shoot only in a safe direction. It really put a bad taste in my mouth and has made me twice as cautious as I have ever been.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Wonder if these morons were out shooting road signs from the back seat? Why else would you have a loaded rifle in your hands with the safety off while sitting in the back seat going down the highway?????

Sounds like they were fucking around and ended up fucking up.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
Wonder if these morons were out shooting road signs from the back seat? Why else would you have a loaded rifle in your hands with the safety off while sitting in the back seat going down the highway?????

Sounds like they were fucking around and ended up fucking up.
Could be but still da** sad, esp. for the families. And that one guy will be screwed
in the head for a long time.

Capt. Quint is my hero

Mama Tried, Mama Tried
Sponsored Links
Advertisement