SKS questions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Old Fart

SKS questions

What does milled receiver mean? Why is it milled?

Is there any way to accurize the trigger? Would be a good hunting rifle if the trigger could be cleaned up.

What mods are done to the SKS?

"Don't taze me, bro."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 PM
Factory Issue

Milled means it was created from a single piece of metal, either a billet if it was forged, or a casting if it was cast, on a mill. Stamped means they took a pre-cut piece of sheet metal, and pressed it into the shape they needed on a stamp & die. Milled receivers have a lot more rigidity, and therefore strength. Stamped receivers are crazy field expedient, meaning you can (with an AK even more so), fix what you need to in the field to keep it going if something gets bent/broken. Some VC actually made all their own parts, short of a barrel.

I'd get a moisin nagant if I was hellbent on a cheap surplus rifle for hunting. You'll spend less getting it to shoot straight. Others disagree, but semi-auto is not necessary for hunting situations.

Give me a dollar.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Time Served

You can improve the trigger, but it's never going to be an AccuTrigger or anything.

This guy mods the trigger group for you if you don't want to do it yourself. http://www.kivaari.com/index.cfm/SKS_trigger_info

There are lots of mall-ninja mods for them, but as far a performance mods/accurizing there's not much to do except for new springs, smoothing everything out, and if it's a Yugo, making sure the gas system works properly. (The Yugos have a grenade launcher that shuts off the gas tube, these quite frequently leak and cause feed issues, but it's an easy fix.)

As for being a good deer rifle, they say the 7.62x39 is ballistically comparable to a 30-30, and that is viewed as an acceptible (albeit entry level) caliber for deer. Some states have magazine size restrictions, so look ino that if you're heading out of state. I've seen 5rd mags for them online. They usually shoot 3-4 MOA, so if you're at 100yds or less, that's still a kill.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeabeer
I'd get a moisin nagant if I was hellbent on a cheap surplus rifle for hunting. You'll spend less getting it to shoot straight. Others disagree, but semi-auto is not necessary for hunting situations.
I missed that part the first time I read your post. I'd hunt in a heartbeat with my 91/30. The 7.62x54R is ballistically comparable to a .30-06, so it'll pack a whallup. You might get sneered at by some of the equipment snobs, but they won't be able to argue with the results!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Old Fart

Not sure about a 60$ trigger job for a 125$ rifle.

This is a Norinco. According to our gunsmith, it has the "preferable" screw-in barrel, not a pinned one.

Takeup is bad. The trigger pull weight is not so bad. No glass break to be sure, more like pushing a brick across a floor.

I got some bulk JHP for hunting. Wolf 123gr JHP.

I shot pretty well at 50 yards after having the magazine changed from the small one to a "swappable" 30 rounder. The 4-5 shots grouped pretty well together, but about 4-5 inches high. We have the front sight adjuster. I didn't bench rest shoot it to test accuracy. Maybe a bi-pod might be in order.

I prefer bolt-action hunting. But I think stalking pigs with a carbine would be great.

I like semi-auto. Love to have a BAR or Winchester Super X in 325WSM or a AR rifle.

"Don't taze me, bro."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement