Muzzleloader assault rifle! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Thumbs down Muzzleloader assault rifle!

Another reason to wish New York would self destruct.

(New York - WABC, Oct. 18, 2007) - An Eyewitness News undercover investigation reveals just how easy it is, and perfectly legal, for anyone to get their hands on a deadly firearm -- no background check needed, no drivers license even needs to be shown.

The Investigators Jim Hoffer has more on this exclusive story.
New York state has some of the toughest gun laws in the nation. But after the gun scare at St. John's University in Queens, we decided to take a closer look at the law as it applies to a specific type of rifle
-- one that panicked a campus and nearly killed a state police trooper.

Hoffer: "You get a whole kit? .. do you sell a lot of these?
Gun clerk: "Yes"

In the time that it takes to purchase a pair of socks, one can buy a deadly rifle.

Eyewitness News went undercover at Dicks Sporting Goods store in Upstate New York and with less information than is needed to borrow a library book, we bought a 50-caliber black powder hunting rifle. We just counted out the cash, about $200 and walked away with a brand new, highly powerful weapon.

So, 10 minutes inside this store, I was able to get a gun identical to the one the St. John's student had. I got this with no questions asked, no background check, no identification needed -- all perfectly legal.
Let's make no mistake, this isn't a toy, it's a very lethal weapon.

A weapon's expert with the Harrison police department demonstrated for us its power.

Sgt. Michael Olsey: "Highly accurate, really very powerful able to take down large North American game.
Hoffer: "Even a bear?
Sgt. Olsey: "Bear, grizzly, black bear ... you name it."

"I didn't really see him, all I saw was the barrel of a gun and he shot me," said state trooper Amanda Reif.

State police trooper Amanda Reif has felt the power of the black powder rifle when she was shot by one last summer while responding to a domestic call.

"This one hit my vest and it mushroomed, it was the first shot. The second shot just hit a little higher," she said.

She has battled back from near death spending hours each week in rehab.
The gunman whom she was able to shoot and kill was a convicted rapist -- a felon who obtained the rifle because of a gaping loophole in New York state's gun laws.

That is, blackpowder firearms are considered "antiques" because they are muzzle loaded. State and federal gun laws do not include antique firearms, so they are exempt from any permits or background checks.

"I'm not anti-gun by any means, I grew up with weapons and I believe everyone should be able to carry one if they're legal to possess one but you shouldn't be able to have ready access to them like that," Reif said.

Just a few weeks ago, a St. John's student with a history of psychological problems had ready access to a black powder rifle, buying one with no questions asked and then creating a panic when he walked onto campus with the gun loaded.

But to expose the enormity of this loophole, The Investigators purchased another black powder rifle, this time on the Internet. In just four days, it was delivered directly to my house all for under $200 dollars.

"Any convicted felon can just walk into a store, purchase this weapon and be on the street in 10 minutes ready to ... kill," Olsey said.

Police Commissioner Ray Kelly is not happy about the antique gun loophole. He says it should be done away with immediately.

We have a call into the governor's office to see what can be done about it.

If you have a tip about this or any other investigative story, give our tip-line a call at 877-TIP-NEWS.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=5714222

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

You can I could just walk in a store and buy a muzzle-loader? If I practiced a lot, I could have a sustained rate of fire of like 10 shots in half an hour. Something has GOT to be done!

DFWMustangs.net
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Meeeeooowww

Exclamation

This should be a wake up call that they want all the guns gone, not just the so called"assault rifles" and handguns.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 AM
Worship me

I'm just laughing that they called it deadly accurate. And nowhere did they mention that the rate of fire is about .3 rounds per minute.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Num say'n? (tm)

It never stops. No matter absurd the argument becomes.

DFWMustangs.net
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

lmao I have one of these guns

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Fuck those liberal douchebags. In 5 years, they'll be arguing for felony screening on knife purchases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

no crap

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
Musician for the deaf

I'll say it again, there will soon be a push to classify muzzle loaders and BB guns and even airsofts as firearms.

This is actually the case in Illinois.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

what!^

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Musician for the deaf

I'm blocked from here, but google chicago BB gun law.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Lifer

seems like some horseshit to me when are they gonna outlaw baseball bats or cars or reinstate prohibition or even ban cigarettes doesnt secondhand smoke kill more people thanfirearms????

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

WELCOME TO TENNESSEE THE PATRON STATE OF SHOOTIN STUFF
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Lifer

they want everyone to live in this false sense of security like some toddler in padded cage

people like that would make everyone a bunch of noaccount pussies

93 coupe 351/t56

In the words of President Teddy Roosevelt, " We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

ive never been good at keeping directions i believe schedules are one of lifes worst infections

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 09:43 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

wow in new jersey bb guns are considered firearms

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Osh10
wow in new jersey bb guns are considered firearms
They are in most places. Neighbor called the police to ask them if he could discharge a pellet gun in town and they said NOPE! Don't know if that's by the letter of the actual law but if your neighbor complains that you are shooting squirrels with a pellet gun I am sure the cops will find a way to call it "discharge of a firearm"....

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Lifer

pretty gay

93 coupe 351/t56

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Lifer

I can get off 3 moderately aimed shots in 1 minute. If you're holding back a police force at that rate, maybe that town just needs to be taken over.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:12 AM
tear'n asphalt in the 68'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
I can get off 3 moderately aimed shots in 1 minute. If you're holding back a police force at that rate, maybe that town just needs to be taken over.
LOL...greatness

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

yea there is no way I could load fast enough to keep someone from just running up and stabbing me I only think I can get off 2 a min

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 09:24 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P
I'm just laughing that they called it deadly accurate. And nowhere did they mention that the rate of fire is about .3 rounds per minute.
you'd be better off throwing bars of soap at people.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Lifer

OMFG!

These people will over dramatize anything to sensationalize themselves or thier cause.

I would like to see the nationwide stats on black powder rifle homocides in the last 30 years. I bet there would be under a dozen.

Then compare that number to knife related homocides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement