Should I Carry? CHL's and Instructors - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I Carry? CHL's and Instructors

The question is should I carry into a CPS office? I am licensed and legally I know I can unless they have the 30.06 sign posted, but should I really carry to my visit tomorrow? I carry everywhere else that I can so why not right? CPS is a state agency so would the building be consider that of a court house or similar building? If you don't want to read the whole thing, skip to the last paragraph!

Here's the situation. First off let me start by saying that the kids (twin 3 yr old girls) in question are not mine. Without going into a lot of detail, CPS wrongfully took the kids for medical neglect. We have been fighting to try to prove our case while also jumping through their hoops. This is the first time that they have asked my g/f to come into the office for a meeting. Since they have drug me into this she told them that I would be attending. Its kind of funny b/c they called her this morning asking for her to come in immediately, but once she told them that I would be attending they suddenly switched it to "well we can't do it today afterall we will call you back." My g/f was playing it smart by getting them to go ahead and schedule a meeting for tomorrow morning! They like to drag their feet and never call back. They didn't really give her any info on the meeting just that they wanted to meet with her.

This is where I come in. My g/f and I have been together for about 14 months. CPS came into our lives in the beginning of the year. We had no idea this was going to happen and have since been working to sort it all out. Since this time I kicked out my roommates, moved her in, and have been working to show that she/we have a solid foundation for the girls.

This was my first mistake! CPS has been doing everything from background checks (passed two so far) to requiring me to attend parenting classes even though biologically they aren't my kids. I have been compliant up to this point. When they ran my first background check they hit on my CHL. They were also surprised that I had a clean record ! They have made references many times that they aren't comfortable with putting the children in a home with firearms. They also want to come into my house to evaluate the situation and make sure that my house is safe. All the things they are doing right now are outside of the courts. They have yet to go to court, take us to court, or even provide any kind of court documentation for the things they are requiring.

Back to my concern. They know that I am coming and they also know that I am a CHL holder. They are smart enough to put 2 and 2 together to figure out that more than likely I will be carrying my concealed weapon on me. With that being the case I'm sure they will have some kind of officer (PD, constable, etc) there when I show up. Should I even be concerned about this? What would you do? I know its as easy as just leaving it in the car right? I ride a bike and there isn't room under the seat in the bike. My g/f will be in her car, but that's her car in her name. It would be one thing if it was my car. I am leaving right after the meeting to go to work and don't ever leave my gun at home. This would be the one time exception!

Last edited by kc280zx; 10-23-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Lifer

Why do you feel the need to carry while in their offices?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut
The offices might be in a real shitty part of town, since thats typically where most government offices are...

Id carry if im going into a shitty part of town, and unless its posted, id carry it in as well.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:02 PM
AHMO!

Leave the gun in the car and not worry about it.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

B/C I carry everywhere I go. Why do I feel the need to carry at all. It is a right that I earned! It has nothing to do with feeling safe or not feeling safe. Hell I carry in my Grand parent's house and my grand dad has enough firearms to fight off a small militia.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty Nate
Leave the gun in the car and not worry about it.
Sorry I edited while you were posting. I won't be in a car and the one car that I could isn't my car so technically can I do that?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Lifer

I carry when I want to also, but under HIS circumstances, it's a valid question: is he willing to take the risk of his girlfriend not getting her kids back due to his desire to prove he can carry anywhere it's "legal"? It's his "right" to carry, but it's their "right" to disagree with it.

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 02:08 PM
Lifer

If it were me I'd leave the damn thing in the car. CPS is already a pain in the ass to deal with. Why make it more open to discussion?
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Rolling with the homies

I would be careful about carrying into any state offices (30.06 or not). Why risk it.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Horsepower Extractor

I would definitely carry. That is exactly the type of place you could end up needing a gun for. Is it possible that a disgruntled parent/relative could come in and seek revenge for CPS taking a child away? If it is not posted otherwise, definitely carry to protect yourself and possibly others. I would appreciate backup if I were in the office too and the balloon went up!

Did you get the license to leave the gun in the car or to CARRY it?

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
I carry when I want to also, but under HIS circumstances, it's a valid question: is he willing to take the risk of his girlfriend not getting her kids back due to his desire to prove he can carry anywhere it's "legal"? It's his "right" to carry, but it's their "right" to disagree with it.
If he's carrying it right, nobody will know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino
If he's carrying it right, nobody will know.
True. Then why is he so worried about it?

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 04:36 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Banned

They know I am licensed to carry and that I own a handgun thanks to my g/f's Mom. She saw it one night as I bent over to pick up one of the girls and about had a shit fit. The next day CPS knew about it.

Its not that no one will know if its concealed, its the fact that they know more than likely I am carrying. They can only assume and if they ask I'm just going to play it off like "what gun?" In the off chance that they have an officer there, I can't lie to him about it.

The whole purpose of this was a what should I do kind of thing. Thanks guys!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Painting Your House

This is a good question. The thought is to comply with their feelings and leave it this one time. But then you have to ask yourself, will you comply completely and get rid of the gun? No! It would seem to me that you should just live life as it is and make sure its concealed.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc280zx
They know I am licensed to carry and that I own a handgun thanks to my g/f's Mom. She saw it one night as I bent over to pick up one of the girls and about had a shit fit. The next day CPS knew about it.

Its not that no one will know if its concealed, its the fact that they know more than likely I am carrying. They can only assume and if they ask I'm just going to play it off like "what gun?" In the off chance that they have an officer there, I can't lie to him about it.

The whole purpose of this was a what should I do kind of thing. Thanks guys!
So the GF's mom busted your ass to CPS? Knowing it could affect you guys getting the kids? This is no good, and you should RUN AWAY from that right now.

post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

just to be over cautious (and to make sure I knew where I was going), I drove up there to night to see if they had a 30.06 posted any where that could see from the glass front door. of course there isnt a sign posted any where that i could! the girl friend was telling me though that her Mom said there are metal detectors to screen you before you can go back into the rooms or offices to visit with your case worker! what to do about that? i guess they win, cause i will definitely be busted!
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsMach03
Better to have a gun and not need it, then to need it and not have it.
I know all the cliches..."tried by twelve than carried by six", "happiness is a warm gun", etc...I meant under his circumstances.

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

looking in my book right now. instead of reading the actual law, I am reading the questions in the back.

Q. Where can I not take my handgun?

A. Handguns and other weapons cannot be carried at school or on school buses, at polling places, in courts or court offices, at racetracks, at secured airport areas or within 1000 ft of the premises of an execution on the day of the execution. The law also specifically prohibits handguns from businesses where alcohol is sold if more than 1/2 their revenue is from the sale of alcohol for on-premises consumption, and from locations where high school, college or professional sporting events are taking place. You may not carry handguns in hospitals or nursing homes, amusement parks, places of worship or at government meetings if signs are posted prohibiting them. Businesses also may post signs prohibiting handguns on their premises based on criminal trespass laws.
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:41 PM
Time Served

IMO, A CPS office would be more prone to attack from a disgruntle parent more so then other places. Why shouldn't he carry. Is the CPS office going to protect him if someone comes in blasting?

Nobody can say this would or wouldn't happen. People have had their life taken in stranger places. Maybe it is a cliche, but I try to carry everywhere unless otherwise posted. Nobody is going to protect you but you.

2009 STRYKER BLUE pontiYACK G8 GT stock for now

03 AZURE MACH1 305 rwhp, 325RWTQ TUNED BY [email protected]<----------------------------SOLD

06 TRUEBLUE SUPERCREW F150 5.4L
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Banned

i found enough verbiage in law book that i am discouraged from carrying on in the building. i guess i will be leaving it at home tomorrow. strike up another for the government.

PC 30.06 (e)
It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035.

Maybe I will try calling the helpline in the morning. It opens at 8am and maybe ill have enough time to call.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-24-2007, 06:20 AM
Lifer

If you are worried that carrying to this one meeting could negatively affect your girlfriend's children, they why carry to it? Sure, it is your right and something might happen, but the odds are against it and I would think that the children are more important. I would just leave it at home on this one or in your girlfriend's car (it is legal to do so). If you end up having to go again you will have a better idea of what to expect.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:40 AM
Horsepower Extractor

Whatever your decision, if anyone gives you shit about being able to carry one, remind them of the thorough background check you had to go through to get licensed and that proves you have a history of being a good citizen. You also had to pass one of the toughest concealed carry qualifying tests in the nation (if yours is from Texas.)
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Deuce
You also had to pass one of the toughest concealed carry qualifying tests in the nation (if yours is from Texas.)
You're joking right?
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:48 AM
Got Lateral G's??

dude, I suggest getting rid of the G/F....sounds like way too much trouble to be under the watchful eye of CPS till the kids are 18. Throw in the crazy Mother in law and you are automatically signed up for the guest list on Jerry Springer....

Run.

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97
dude, I suggest getting rid of the G/F....sounds like way too much trouble to be under the watchful eye of CPS till the kids are 18. Throw in the crazy Mother in law and you are automatically signed up for the guest list on Jerry Springer....

Run.
Refer to post #16...

post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Horsepower Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
You're joking right?
Bout what?
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Deuce
Bout what?
About Texas having one of the toughest concealed handgun course in the nation....

If that's true, Id have to laugh and then Id have to laugh at the other qualifying states even harder.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Lifer

Is our CHL course tough? I've taken it 3 times, and didn't really notice.

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Is our CHL course tough? I've taken it 3 times, and didn't really notice.
The thing is a fucking joke is what it is.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Horsepower Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Ole_Red
About Texas having one of the toughest concealed handgun course in the nation....

If that's true, Id have to laugh and then Id have to laugh at the other qualifying states even harder.
I believe so. I believe it's Florida that has to only fire 1 shot.

I didn't think it was challenging, but if someone gives you lip, it may be good to educate them that ours is tougher than others.

Last edited by 66Deuce; 10-25-2007 at 07:52 PM.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 11:20 AM
Factory Issue

Just leave it at home if you can't leave it in the car. I'd also make sure I had all the locks/safes I needed to comply to the state laws on firearms and children, then let them come and look your stuff over. Play their game until they can't throw anything else at you. Also, tell your gf's mom she's a cunt.

Give me a dollar.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

cps

hell, just call cps and ask them if they have a legal prohibition on concealled carry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement