DFW Mustang Forums banner

MTU Setting for ATT Cable

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  MoonDog 
#1 ·
What do you guys use/recommend to get the best speed possible.

#3 ·
evil jose said:
1500 is default right?
Currently thats what I have mine set at. You didnt have my box to find out did you, jose? ;)

#4 ·
AbecX said:
Currently thats what I have mine set at. You didnt have my box to find out did you, jose? ;)
We have to configure various routers for an MTU of 1492 sometimes when people have trouble accessing our website at work. Weird issue. How much of a difference are you expecting from playing around with the MTU setting?

#5 ·
Well it can fix certain connectivty issuse and speed up transfer rates, just ask whitelightning about his issue he had a while back ;)

I just want to make sure its set as optimal is it can be since I play a lot of diablo 2 and a I hate lag, I hate lag with a vengeance, just a few seconds of it can kill experience points I racked up over the course of an hour or two period :mad:

#6 ·
At the command prompt type in

ping -f -l [packetsize] [www]

packetsize= start at 1500 and work your way down until you stop seeing "Packet needs to be fragmented, but DF set". Add 28 to that number (exclude 20 bytes for IP and ICMP which is 8 bytes headers).

the -f flag stops it from fragmenting, the -l is the packetsize. Thus the largest packet going through is what you set your MTU to.

#8 ·
I personally like DSL Reports better. Take the Tweak test http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and it will tell you what needs to be changed to best optimize your settings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.