ESPN reporting Cam Newton solicited money for commitment... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
davbrucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,841
ESPN reporting Cam Newton solicited money for commitment...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

I wonder if Auburn paid?
davbrucas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:25 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 398
I would say yes they paid.

It says in the article that his dad was the one who made his
decision for him???
WhoaTX5.0 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:58 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
This is not a suprise. This is an every day occurrence. These kids should get paid something.
mstng86 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
I bet Florida still wishes he hadn't stole that computer so they didn't have to kick him off the team
bert89coupe is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I bet Florida still wishes he hadn't stole that computer so they didn't have to kick him off the team
No shit.

I bet Urban is like WTF, he shoulld be here at Florida
WhoaTX5.0 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
This is not a suprise. This is an every day occurrence. These kids should get paid something.
They already do. It's called a scholarship.
Lone Sailor is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
They already do. It's called a scholarship.
Oh, so they are going to guarantee them a degree? They still have to go to class and pass. Yes, they get a chance for an education, but we all know alot of these players aren't educated enough to finish college. So, alot of these schools are making tons of money off of players they know don't have a chance at graduating. Sure the players can take some responsibility in that, but some college heads are playing the system in their favor.
mstng86 is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:46 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mesquite
Posts: 2,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Oh, so they are going to guarantee them a degree? They still have to go to class and pass. Yes, they get a chance for an education, but we all know alot of these players aren't educated enough to finish college. So, alot of these schools are making tons of money off of players they know don't have a chance at graduating. Sure the players can take some responsibility in that, but some college heads are playing the system in their favor.
Who said anything about graduating? You're talking about they should be getting paid. I don't think half of them care about graduating anyway. It's going pro and getting paid that they are more concerned with. However, that really doesn't rebut that they are already getting paid essentially since they aren't PAYING to go to college when they have a free ride scholarship.
Lone Sailor is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
Who said anything about graduating? You're talking about they should be getting paid. I don't think half of them care about graduating anyway. It's going pro and getting paid that they are more concerned with. However, that really doesn't rebut that they are already getting paid essentially since they aren't PAYING to go to college when they have a free ride scholarship.
You stated a scholarship as if it is enough incentive/compensation for them to play. Obviously a scholarship means dick if you don't actually graduate.
mstng86 is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
except for the fact that it is the only way to the NFL, to get paid. College is nothing more than the minor leagues for the NFL. The kids get enough incentives in fame, free school and possible fortune at the end. College football is a business, the kids get paid plenty. It isn't a hard decision really, play and go to school for free (what they do with it is up to them), or just be a regular old student and get a shitty part time job to pay for books and tuition like the rest of us.
So your perfectly happy with the schools making millions on the backs of players they are fully aware will not take the scholarship and get an education, and in most cases end up working dead end jobs?

The colleges priority is to make money off of these guys, not to give them an education. And your right, it is up to the players to take advantage of their opportunity. You know the colleges play off these players emotions and dreams about playing in the NFL.

Your right about college being a minor league system for the NFL. It needs to be formally setup that way. Everyone is making money but the players, legally anyways. That is a whole other subject.
mstng86 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome