Rangers Postseason Moves - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Rangers Postseason Moves

They said locking up Wash for the future was the first move and that will probably be done tomorrow.

Both our catchers (Treanor and Molina) are free agents and Taylor Teapot is a decent AA catcher at best.

Arbitration will take its toll on the team with Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy and Wilson topping the list.

There are obvious holes at the back of the rotation and with Lee's final destination up in the air we still need a bona fide #1.

The postseason money we brought in and the FSN contract should push the annual payroll well past the 55 million we spent last year but I don't know how it will be spent.

I think Derrek Lee will be a huge value this year and I would love to see the Rangers go after him. Moreland was alright this 2nd half but you really need a legit 3,4,5 stick at first base.

This off season will be a great one and hopefully they will address the issues that need fixing and strengthen up some soft spots.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

I thought I heard earlier Hurdle got offered a job elsewhere. Was I dreaming?
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Resident Epicurean

They have already waived the option on Vlad's contract as well. Doesn't necessarily mean he is going anywhere, but I doubt they bring him back.

I think Moreland needs to stay. Of course he was better in the second half of the season. Kid is a rookie, and shows a ton of promise. Huge stick in the post season, and great defense.

I thought they don't have to move on Hambone this year?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
They said locking up Wash for the future was the first move and that will probably be done tomorrow.

Both our catchers (Treanor and Molina) are free agents and Taylor Teapot is a decent AA catcher at best.

Arbitration will take its toll on the team with Hamilton, Cruz, Murphy and Wilson topping the list.

There are obvious holes at the back of the rotation and with Lee's final destination up in the air we still need a bona fide #1.

The postseason money we brought in and the FSN contract should push the annual payroll well past the 55 million we spent last year but I don't know how it will be spent.

I think Derrek Lee will be a huge value this year and I would love to see the Rangers go after him. Moreland was alright this 2nd half but you really need a legit 3,4,5 stick at first base.

This off season will be a great one and hopefully they will address the issues that need fixing and strengthen up some soft spots.
I think Moreland is the 1st baseman for this team. You might "need" a 3,4,5 stick, but "needing" and "getting" that bat are two different things. They don't have the money to cover all the arbitrations as it is.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
They have already waived the option on Vlad's contract as well. Doesn't necessarily mean he is going anywhere, but I doubt they bring him back.

I think Moreland needs to stay. Of course he was better in the second half of the season. Kid is a rookie, and shows a ton of promise. Huge stick in the post season, and great defense.

I hope they give Moreland a shot. I think the kid has some great D and his bat wasn't too shabby either. It's hard to ignore Vlad's 120 RBIs or so, but MY knees hurt watching him move. I would also like to see them keep at least one of the veteran catchers to help with pitching. I don't think good catchers are really that easy of a pick up.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post

Moreland's debut wasn't until July 29, after dicking around with Chris "I can't hit my weight" Davis.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I thought I heard earlier Hurdle got offered a job elsewhere. Was I dreaming?
I heard he was interviewing for the Pirates job.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Texan

The only upside about filling the catcher spot is that the free agent class is full of them.

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
The only upside about filling the catcher spot is that the free agent class is full of them.
Is it? I need to go see who is all out there.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Time Served

Get Cliff Lee to re sign with the Rangers.

Vlad $9m option was declined. So more than likely he will be go some where else.

I think people will be surprised at how much the Rangers are going to spend.
Nothing around the Red Sox or Yankees will spend.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Texan

If someone else signs Vladdy we get 2 draft picks from them so it's not all bad, but they said they're not ruling out the possibility of him coming back next year.

And here are the free agents.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/11/02/2...b-free-agents/

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 PM
dead

get adrian beltre as your 3rd baseman and move young to DH.
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
x11000000000000000
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Hunt James for President

the payroll will be around 95MM next year.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Is it? I need to go see who is all out there.
Victor Martinez or A.J. Pierzynski sound nice to me.

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Lifer

It sounds like Bengie Molina is going to retire, which is good cause he has had a great career.

Resign Cliff Lee, but only for a 4 year deal. He is 32 so you have to look at his age, at some point he is going to decline.

Try to bring back Vlad, and he could only be a DH.

Adrian Beltre yes had a nice year, but it was contract year. He had a great year in his final year as a Dodger, then got his big contract to play for the Mariners and didnt do squat.

I think if we can bring back Vlad and Lee and also sign a catcher like a Victor Martinez, then we are heading in the right direction. Also I think we need to work on our bullpen this offseason.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:01 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Moreland had a great postseason. He didn't play in the first half of the season. IMO, first base is his until he loses it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
Or Young back to second and DH Kinsler, or platoon them. Young was a Gold Glover at short and has a .987 fielding percentage at second. He has a good glove, he just doesn't have the reflexes or instincts to play third base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 PM
Time Served

Resign Lee, trade or release some from the bullpen like Oliver ect.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I'm pretty happy with the roster, but I would also like to move Young to DH and get a good defensive 3rd baseman. Was also wondering if Andres Blanco could move to 3rd, I liked him filling in for Kinsler. I would keep Moreland at first, he showed alot of guts in the WS, I think he's going to be a good player for many years to come.

I'd love to keep Lee here, but don't want to get in a bidding war with the Yankees. If signing Lee is going to cost us keeping some of the other guys (CJ, Cruz, Hamilton, Murphy, etc.) then I say let him go. I'd also like to se Ogando or Feliz get a shot at one of the starting ptiching positions, if Feliz becomes a starter, I'd be happy with Ogando as the new closer (or Ogando starter, Feliz stays closer).

As far as catcher goes, we need to address that ASAP, especially if Bengie is going to retire. I wouldn't mind him sticking arround and mentoring a youngster, but we need to get the future backstop in here now.

I think a lineup consisting of:
Andrus, Young, Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, Murphy/Borbon, Bengie/?, Blanco/?, Moreland would be great, good power and great defense.

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:30 AM
MFFL!

Yeah, Moreland deserves a shot for th way he finished the regular season and played in the postseason. Even if he only hits .260 for the year...that's miles ahead of Crash Davis or Justin Choke, err umm, I meant Smoak.
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

We have Feliz, Ogondo, Sheppers, Holland, Hunter, Harrison, Nippert and of course Feldman who could all be starters on top of the obvious CJ and Lewis plus Lee if we can get him back. Our pitching is good next year! I think we should sign a bonafide closer like Rafael Soriano in case Feliz makes the move. That and maybe it'd pressure Francisco enough to get in shape and stay healthy, he's a good pitcher when he can play.

I'd also like some more off the bench power. Carlos Pena comes to mind, sure his average sucks but he has lots of power. Make him compete with a proven rookie for a job and maybe that average will come up? Or Berkman is also available, he'll be expensive though.

That and figure out a way to get Harper away from the Nationals. He's a Josh Hamilton quality player but without the history, and he can catch. They are just going to throw him in the outfield and probably try and bat the kid cleanup.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Time Served

I think that the 2011 season will be the start of the Michael Young at DH era.

I know Vlad was expensive and he wasn't fantastic in the playoffs but he was a big reason for the Rangers winning the West. The numbers he was putting up before the all star break were phenomenal. Good luck to him though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 AM
Lifer

Who is going to play 3rd if they move Young to DH? Is there a solid 3rd baseman on the market?
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Who is going to play 3rd if they move Young to DH? Is there a solid 3rd baseman on the market?
As I mentioned earlier, I'd like to give Blanco a shot. He stepped up when Kinsler got injured, and was pretty good... he's also a much better defensive player than Young.

post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
gear jammer

First of all, i have to know how much the new owners are going to increase payroll. My hope is they double it. Cliff Lee will get more than 4 years starting with the Yankees and a few other big teams. If the Rangers don't go 6 they can forget it which they may already be doing. If they lose him, i would like to see them make a play for Greinke. He needs out of KC and could be a bonafide #1 on the Rangers. Wilson and Lewis are locks but behind them it's a toss-up. Hunter is ok at the #5 spot but can't carry it at 4 as the playoffs showed. Your #4 guy will be needed to win 2-3 big games in the playoffs and Hunter's stuff isn't good enough.

I am down with Feliz getting a shot in the rotation if some other options fall through. That is where he was originally pegged to be anyways. That would move Ogando/Francisco back into the closer role and maybe one of them and O'Day as your setups.

I can't even think about the offense yet as pitching to me takes precedence. Moreland showed me enough on offense and defense to be comfortable going to camp with him #1

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Texan

It's tough to take someone who was 40 for 43 in saves out of the closer role.

I was really confident about the rest of the bullpen going into the playoffs but after the fact I think a rehaul is in order.

At least O'Day's arbitration value went down a ton.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 11:23 AM
May the Force be w/you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
I'm pretty happy with the roster, but I would also like to move Young to DH and get a good defensive 3rd baseman. Was also wondering if Andres Blanco could move to 3rd, I liked him filling in for Kinsler. I would keep Moreland at first, he showed alot of guts in the WS, I think he's going to be a good player for many years to come.

I'd love to keep Lee here, but don't want to get in a bidding war with the Yankees. If signing Lee is going to cost us keeping some of the other guys (CJ, Cruz, Hamilton, Murphy, etc.) then I say let him go. I'd also like to se Ogando or Feliz get a shot at one of the starting ptiching positions, if Feliz becomes a starter, I'd be happy with Ogando as the new closer (or Ogando starter, Feliz stays closer).

As far as catcher goes, we need to address that ASAP, especially if Bengie is going to retire. I wouldn't mind him sticking arround and mentoring a youngster, but we need to get the future backstop in here now.

I think a lineup consisting of:
Andrus, Young, Hamilton, Cruz, Kinsler, Murphy/Borbon, Bengie/?, Blanco/?, Moreland would be great, good power and great defense.

I like this insight. It makes a lot of sense.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 03:16 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Warsh just got a 2 year extension.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
gear jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
Warsh just got a 2 year extension.
Thats the first order of business and he deserved it.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Lifer

If Cliff Lee does return, who is the #2 guy? CJ Wilson or Colby Lewis?

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Texan

That's tough. They're both good #2s but neither is a #1

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:12 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

I'll say that Lewis can be a number 1 if they don't bring Lee back. He was 3-0 with a 1.71 ERA in 26 innings in the post season (better than Lee and Lincecum). He had a bad run at the end of the season (3.72 ERA) but still won 12 games (couldve/shouldve won at least five more if he'd had any kind of run support), and had more strikeouts in fewer innings than Cliff Lee

Quote:
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:49 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

They will need to evaluate more over the off season and then see who the best of the best is when spring training comes around.
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 03:51 PM
gear jammer

Quote:
It's tough to take someone who was 40 for 43 in saves out of the closer role.

I was really confident about the rest of the bullpen going into the playoffs but after the fact I think a rehaul is in order.

At least O'Day's arbitration value went down a ton.
Yep that's true but Soriano is available from the Rays and i bet he would be alot cheaper than Cliff Lee

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
That's tough. They're both good #2s but neither is a #1
I disagree with that. Lewis has turned out to be an ace. Who would have thought he'd be where he is now, when he was in Japan a year ago? These guys get better every year, with a few exceptions. Young, Vlad, Lee, etc.
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
They will need to evaluate more over the off season and then see who the best of the best is when spring training comes around.
Spring training doesn't mean that much. Scott Feldman was their number 1 pitcher, and Mitch Moreland was in AA.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement