Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Steelers LB Harrison mulling retirement after $75K fine for hit

James Harrison believes the NFL's crackdown on dangerous hits is cramping his style. And, unless Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin can convince him otherwise, the 32-year-old linebacker claimed Tuesday night that he might consider retirement.

Hours after the league fined him $75,000 for his concussion-causing hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi, Harrison appeared on Fox Sports Radio's "Into The Night with Tony Bruno" and told guest host Jody McDonald that his first stop Wednesday morning will be in Tomlin's office.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach tomorrow and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison said. "If not, I may have to give up playing football."

Harrison was one of three players punished Tuesday by the NFL for helmet-to-helmet hits. Hee was fined $25,000 more than New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather and Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson were because the league considered Harrison a repeat offender. He was fined $5,000 for slamming Tennessee Titans quarterback Vince Young to the turf during the Steelers' Sept. 19 victory.

Harrison, the 2008 Associated Press NFL Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time Pro Bowl pick, rammed headfirst into Massaquoi as the receiver tried to complete a catch during the second quarter. Massaquoi briefly crumpled to the turf but was soon on his feet, although he didn't return to the game.

Earlier in the game, Harrison sidelined Browns wide receiver Joshua Cribbs with a helmet-first hit that caused a concussion. The NFL said Monday that tackle was permissible because Cribbs was a runner on the Wildcat play, and that hit didn't factor into Harrison's fine. He wasn't penalized on either play.

Tomlin publicly backed Harrison on Tuesday morning before the fine was announced, saying the linebacker made "legal hits, not fineable hits." The coach also downplayed Harrison's postgame comments that he tries to hurt, not injure, opponents because it increases the Steelers' chances of winning.

"I didn't see those comments, but I know James," Tomlin said. "James says a lot of things he doesn't necessarily mean. He's a tough talker, like a lot of guys that play the game at this level. If you want to get to know James, catch him on a Tuesday when he's walking through the building with his son. He's a big softie."
Carucci: Former safety's solution
The NFL fined three players Tuesday for helmet-to-helmet hits, but former safety Rodney Harrison believes only suspensions will stop the trend, he told Vic Carucci. More ...

Blog: NFL Network analysts' reaction
Blog: Some say Robinson's hit was legal
Watch: Debate about league's response
Watch: Davis, Mora talk tackle technique

Now Tomlin must talk down Harrison, who sounded frustrated by a punishment that his agent, Bill Parise, called "staggering." Parise said Harrison would appeal the fine.

"I really truly hope it's something that can be done," Harrison told Fox Sports Radio. "But the way that things were being explained to me today and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Harrison later added that if a solution can't be reached, "I'm going to have to try and find a way that I may possibly get out of whatever agreement I agreed to with the Steelers."

That agreement is a six-year, $51.175 million contract that he signed last year and contains low base salaries in the early portion. Harrison is making $44,411.76 in base salary per game this season, so the $75,000 fine equates to nearly two checks.

Massaquoi's agent, Brian Ayrault, doesn't believe even that's enough.

"Harrison has made $20 million over the past three years, and they only fined him $75,000?" Ayrault said. "To me, that's not going to be a deterrent. The Browns are probably going to be without a starter this week. I don't think that fine is a deterrent or fair to competitive balance.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Typical lookatmeit'snotfairI'mgoingtotakemyballandgohome cry baby attitude.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Lifer

With what he's making I doubt he will quite over a $75k fine.

If you can't play by the rules, then GTFO.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:05 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

Quite right.

The rules are changing. Schlereth had a pretty decent rant on sportscenter this morning regarding the hypocrisy of the NFL and their stance on big hits while selling videos of nothing but big hits.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:09 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:

It's not the $75k that he's quitting over, it's the fact that he will now have to play differently and he doesn't want to change.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Quite right.

The rules are changing. Schlereth had a pretty decent rant on sportscenter this morning regarding the hypocrisy of the NFL and their stance on big hits while selling videos of nothing but big hits.
That fool is fired. You don't question the shield if you work for ESPN.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:

He was playing by the rules. He's still being a little girl about it, but the NFL doesn't have any ground to stand on here other than "it looked violent."

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
That's the truth right there.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Quite right.

The reality is that players are getting faster and stronger every draft. Pre-1984, there was never more than 8 guys on a team, at one time, that weighed 300lbs. In 2006, there were approx. 560 in the NFL. In the next 20 years, will there be 300lb. linebacker's running 4.5 40's? Maybe. Even with a clean hit, the impact can be catastrophic. The players should be grateful the league is doing things to extend career's.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I hope so... I am SOOOOO sick of hearing him talk about his 13 surgeries every time he is on TV. I got it the first 20 times I heard it!!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:56 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
The reality is that players are getting faster and stronger every draft. Pre-1984, there was never more than 8 guys on a team, at one time, that weighed 300lbs. In 2006, there were approx. 560 in the NFL. In the next 20 years, will there be 300lb. linebacker's running 4.5 40's? Maybe. Even with a clean hit, the impact can be catastrophic. The players should be grateful the league is doing things to extend career's.

As a fan, I think it's bullshit. I watch football, in part, due to the violence. I like aggressive playing styles. I like the Roy Williams of old, "Imma knock a mother fucker out". I like big hits. It's part of the attraction to the sport. If they want prolonged careers, perhaps they should look in to accounting, or ballet. Fucking pussies.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I would be pissed if I was Harrison as well as both hits he laid on Cribbs and Mossaquoi were perfectly within the rules. I hope more people get behind this bullshit, as that is exactly what the NFL is turning into now: bullshit.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
I would be pissed if I was Harrison as well as both hits he laid on Cribbs and Mossaquoi were perfectly within the rules. I hope more people get behind this bullshit, as that is exactly what the NFL is turning into now: bullshit.
I also don't understand why Harrison got slapped with the biggest fine, when Meriweather's hit was clearly intentional, and far more damaging from what I could tell. I guess it's just Goodell's usual gentle stroking of Bob Kraft's cock.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I also don't understand why Harrison got slapped with the biggest fine, when Meriweather's hit was clearly intentional, and far more damaging from what I could tell.
Merriweather should be sitting out a few games for his hit. I didn't see it until yesterday, but that was clearly 100% intentional. Harrison's hit he got fined for was a straight up hit with the shoulder pads that just rocked the dude's world.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
As a fan, I think it's bullshit. I watch football, in part, due to the violence. I like aggressive playing styles. I like the Roy Williams of old, "Imma knock a mother fucker out". I like big hits. It's part of the attraction to the sport. If they want prolonged careers, perhaps they should look in to accounting, or ballet. Fucking pussies.
It's all about money, brother. Guys like Jack Tatum, Mike Ditka, and Hacksaw Reynolds are gone. Violence isn't "hip" anymore. Those days are gone. Maybe we should go back to the days of no face mask?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Merriweather should be sitting out a few games for his hit. I didn't see it until yesterday, but that was clearly 100% intentional. Harrison's hit he got fined for was a straight up hit with the shoulder pads that just rocked the dude's world.
Exactly. Looked to me like Harrison hit in the pads, and drove up. Which is EXACTLY what you're taught to do from Pop Warner on.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
It's all about money, brother.
I realize this, but I don't understand how changing rules on helmet to helmet hits is going to gain them any more money. In fact, I see it losing more money than anything. It is what it is. People like the NFL because of the rugged, raw violence. They go changing what attracts people to the sport, and they are going to lose fan base, and in turn lose revenue. The douchebag on ESPN has a great point. They are profiting off the violence of the league, and now they want to change the rules midstream. Fuck that.

People don't watch NASCAR for the racing. I'm just saying....
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 AM
Fear the Stashe

Football is a violent sport period , the NFL is going soft.

Not intentional after the whistle blow hits are due for a fine.. but you honestly cant predict where a guys helment will be when he's running a route or trying to doge other players while tryin to pass/run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Time Served

The fact is the Nfl is turning into carebears. I watch for that dreadful hit. That hit on the QB that was taken away. Thats entertainment. I have no sympathy for anyone who is making millions getting hit. Its what used to be part of the game, now, it might as well be flag football. I don't watch much anymore. I have gotten more into hockey and basketball.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:34 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Just got this text: "Following a morning meeting between James Harrison and Mike Tomlin, Harrison was excused from Wednesday's meetings and practice."

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
Football is a violent sport period , the NFL is going soft.

Not intentional after the whistle blow hits are due for a fine.. but you honestly cant predict where a guys helment will be when he's running a route or trying to doge other players while tryin to pass/run.
Exactly, if anyone has ever even played football at the highschool level you know that its hard to control if you helmet to helmet anyone. Everything happens so fast. The excessive celebration penatly is also a joke. Fans loved that and they took it away.... Why???

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Fear the Stashe

not my fault Desean Jackson weighs 160lbs and got leveled by a shoulder pad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
See this is all you got. You're just a little bitch. I'll be in lewisville tonight if you want to meet up and see if you would like to talk shit to me. But I know I know your a pussy and won't show and I'm trying to e-thug but you're the one continues to try to insult me. So if you want to be a real man and back this shit up I'll be at the lewisville bowling center off of main st tonight at 6. Not far at all from highland village. Just for you I'll be wearing a Texas shirt.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Lifer

Quote:
not my fault desean jackson weighs 160lbs and got leveled by a shoulder pad.
qft!

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
not my fault Desean Jackson weighs 160lbs and got leveled by a shoulder pad.
This!

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM
Lifer

I dont have a problem with the Jackson hit cause it happen so fast that I dont think Robinson could've avoid the hit. Both of those guys were closing on each other fast. The Merryweather hit I do have a problem with. He clearly went for the head and that where I think the line needs to be drawn. Some of these plays are unavoidable cause these are 2 guys and if one makes a little move then helmet to helmet contact will happen.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 PM
dead

if the NFL really cared, they would just replace the exterior helmet shells with a slightly more forgiving material.

hell, schutt made a safer helmet (it's still a hard shell but has better internal components).
no one cared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement