Head to Head Suspensions - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Head to Head Suspensions

... start effective next week according to the news reports. I'm hoping that there is referee discretion on the calls. There are plays that occur when head to head contact is unavoidable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

And I'm sure this partly stems from what happened in the Army/Rutgers game this weekend, but there were still a couple of questionable head shots in the NFL as well. I know the shot Josh Cribbs took was probably avoidable. Not saying that Harrison intentionally took the shot, but he probably could have made near the same play without giving a nigga a concusion.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Lifer

Harrison needs to be suspended this week for his two hits in that game.

How are they going to dictate a head to head collision is intentional? Or when is it ok? I mean, a running back can lead with his head, is that legal? Are they just saying defense players can't lead with their head?

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Lifer

Might as well put some flags on them from now on and play touch....

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:28 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I know if the league has really thought this through enough to immediately impose this rule. They are getting a lot of heat about all the concussions and are making a knee jerk reaction to quiet the peanut gallery.

I guess we can go back to the days of no helmets, like Ditka mentioned, and just use a leather cap and see how well they play. Sure won't be getting the same massive hits like they are now since the person initiating the hit isn't going to want to get knocked the hell out either.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Harrison needs to be suspended this week for his two hits in that game.

How are they going to dictate a head to head collision is intentional? Or when is it ok? I mean, a running back can lead with his head, is that legal? Are they just saying defense players can't lead with their head?
He had one head to head hit, the other was just a brutal hit. Anyway, I'm surprised the ref didn't throw a flag on that and I'm even more surprised that the NFL wasn't chomping at the bit yesterday to levy a $25,000 fine on him.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
He had one head to head hit, the other was just a brutal hit. Anyway, I'm surprised the ref didn't throw a flag on that and I'm even more surprised that the NFL wasn't chomping at the bit yesterday to levy a $25,000 fine on him.
Giving him a fine doesn't do anything. Wasn't his contract HUGE after the super bowl? You have to hit this guys where it hurts, and make them ride the pine.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Giving him a fine doesn't do anything. Wasn't his contract HUGE after the super bowl? You have to hit this guys where it hurts, and make them ride the pine.
It was quite a nice contract. 51 million in six years. Had to look that number up.

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

"The NFL will announce by Wednesday that, effective this weekend, even first-time offenders face suspension for "devastating hits" and "head shots," according to Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations."

So basically they can suspend whoever they want whenever they want. Who determines what a "devastating hit" is? What is the definition of a "devastating hit?" It is fucking football, not tennis! I'm good with the head shots deal, but the devastating shot part is fucking lame.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Time Served

Anderson on flagrant hits: No new rules, just more enforcementNFL.com
While harsher fines and possibly suspensions for flagrant hits could be coming immediately, NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson clarified Tuesday that the league is not considering changing existing rules.

"We need to get our players firmly in line with the current rules," Anderson said, appearing Tuesday morning on ESPN Radio. In particular, Anderson said the focus is on defenseless players.

There's no need to fret about missing any games. You can watch every contest again with Game Rewind. Get more information here.
"What we're trying to make sure our players understand is that you should know the rules," Anderson said. "The coaches know the rules, the players should know the rules. And so if you are in violations of the rules -- particularly one of those trying to protect against head, neck injuries -- we're going to hold you to a higher standard."

Anderson said there is no intent to change any rules. "We are just going to enforce the existing rules much more to the letter of the law so we can protect our players," he said.

"If it's an illegal hit under the rules, then you're going to be held accountable. We get the pushback all the time that, 'What's a defender to do?' Well, we, in these situations, have to say the defender has to adjust his target area. The player has to wrap up. He has to do the things more fundamentally that we used to do when we used to tackle back in the day. We would like them to do more of that. But with the seriousness of the head and neck trauma and concussions generally, we've got a responsibility to just make sure that players understand and adapt."

Anderson was asked specifically about the helmet-to-helmet hit in Sunday's Ravens-Patriots game, in which New England safety Brandon Meriweather left the ground to lay a hit on Baltimore tight end Todd Heap.

"That in our view is something that was flagrant, it was egregious," Anderson said. "And effective immediately, that's going to be looked at at a very aggressive level, which could include suspension without pay."

Anderson noted that game officials have the authority to eject players in those situations, and that the league plans to talk to officials, "so their authority to eject will be clarified."

Anderson acknowledged that the league's intent to limit flagrant hits has met with some criticism from those who fear it will change the game of football. He said he is confident players can adapt, and that it is the league's responsibility to protect its players.

"We understand this is not just about the NFL," Anderson said. "This is about safety at our level, at the college level, at the high school level, at the pee wee level, because we are the standard bearer and we are committed to safety at the highest level.

"So we will take all the criticism and all the backlash against those that say we are acting too aggressively in this regard. We are not going to be apologetic. We are not going to be defensive about it. We are going to protect our players and hopefully players at the lower levels as well by example."
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Time Served

Meriweather aimed for Heaps head, if anyone needs to be suspended it's this fucking guy.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Time Served

All this shit is gay IMO. They really should just start wearing flags. We are taught through junior high to hit in the torso area and drive upward. Sometimes your helmets will slam, but that's why you wear helmets. With this rule being "more strictly" enforced, get ready to see half of the NFL with ACL/MCL injuries from the all the low tackles.

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cde21 View Post
All this shit is gay IMO. They really should just start wearing flags. We are taught through junior high to hit in the torso area and drive upward. Sometimes your helmets will slam, but that's why you wear helmets. With this rule being "more strictly" enforced, get ready to see half of the NFL with ACL/MCL injuries from the all the low tackles.
Then they'll put an end to that, at which point, they really WILL need flags.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Then they'll put an end to that, at which point, they really WILL need flags.
probably!

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Resident Epicurean

I'm wondering when they are going to come out in pink tutus.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I'm wondering when they are going to come out in pink tutus.
I hope not. The sight of Ben Worthlisberger trying to rape his tight end on the field would be pretty hard to watch.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Merriweather and Robinson fined $50k. Harrison fined $75k. I thought the Harrison fine was bullshit as his hit on Massaquaoi was 100% clean.

post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
I say fine their ass and suspend them for 3 games for first time offenders, if the hit is head to head on a defense less reciever or someone gets ear holed.
now if its a second offence then a fine and half of the season.

I like physical football but you have all seen what these head to head hits do and it has to stop
What a bunch of BS I want to see somebody get fucking de-cleated, that's why i watch football. People like you are why they are pussying up the NFL. You ought to be ashamed of yourself for being a Ravens fan and wanting less violent hits.

Powdered doughnuts make me go nuts!
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Lifer

How about this hit? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYL5ltBZZlg

Was it devastating? Yes. Was it legal? Yes.

This is the type of stupid call that will come of this rule. IMO no penalty there.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I say fine their ass and suspend them for 3 games for first time offenders, if the hit is head to head on a defense less reciever or someone gets ear holed.
now if its a second offence then a fine and half of the season.

I like physical football but you have all seen what these head to head hits do and it has to stop
that comment sounds like its coming from someone who has never played any real football... that shit happen so fucking fast its not like these guys tke a sec to analyze exactly where the are going to lay a hit, they just fuckin do it at a 100 miles an hour as hard as they can.. its fucking football..

most of the people for all this fine bullshit are fucking pussies

My whipped ice dairy drink brings the attention of females to my place of residence and/or employment, and it far surpasses that of yours. Absolutely, it surpasses yours. I can convey to you this recipe, but I have to demand compensation.
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 10:12 PM
Time Served

ITS FOOTBALL.ITS MENT TO BE PLAYED 100%...THAT INCLUDES HITTING!!! you can't ask these guys to hit half ass.....the game dosen't work that way........you tackle to put that guys lights out.......its the whole art of tackling...you hit him so hard he thinks twice about running the crossing or running hard between the tackle's........all these panzy ass reports have never put a set of pads on and played the game.......its a damn shame to see them asking these guys to play defense half ass......total BS!!!! you don't like getting hit, don't play.........if i was a owner i'd tell my players you go ahead and kill that qb, running back, wide reciever...every fine you get i'll cover it........big hits are game changers!!!!!! its why we watch the game to see that kill shot that brings 70,000 fans to there feet....sorry ranting on.

89 Lx- HP-458
TQ-448
she is slow.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
fuck you I said yes to the head to head rules but no to the "devastating hits" do you know there is such a thing as a good hit without helmet to helmet contact
Ray lewis would punch you in da mouf if you said you wanted him to be less "devastating"

What a bunch of

post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownStroked89Lx View Post
ITS FOOTBALL.ITS MENT TO BE PLAYED 100%...THAT INCLUDES HITTING!!! you can't ask these guys to hit half ass.....the game dosen't work that way........you tackle to put that guys lights out.......its the whole art of tackling...you hit him so hard he thinks twice about running the crossing or running hard between the tackle's........all these panzy ass reports have never put a set of pads on and played the game.......its a damn shame to see them asking these guys to play defense half ass......total BS!!!! you don't like getting hit, don't play.........if i was a owner i'd tell my players you go ahead and kill that qb, running back, wide reciever...every fine you get i'll cover it........big hits are game changers!!!!!! its why we watch the game to see that kill shot that brings 70,000 fans to there feet....sorry ranting on.
A-fucking-men

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 AM
Time Served

Quote:
I have played football from pee wee to high school on my freshman year I was on varsity and I was a starter on both sides of the ball. DE and RB until my sophomore year when I got a helmet to the side of my knee tearing my acl to hell. This was as far as my football playing days went. I made alot of great tackles and never once hit anyone in the head because I was coached well enough not to. I love hard hitting football and yes its entertaining. Do you really want to see someone get killed, paralysed, or brain dead from a hit to the head?
If they would've aimed high instead of low, you would've gotten the wind knocked out of you and still played instead sitting on the bench with an injury....

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement