Serious thread: How do you get a team to stop committing penalties? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Serious thread: How do you get a team to stop committing penalties?

This is absolutely fucking ridiculous. I am already so angry right now and we're barely into the 2nd quarter.

What do you do to make your players stop fouling your team into oblivion? One-on-one with the players? Coaching changes?

I feel bad for Romo, Witten, Austin, etc. after watching so many drives squandered, TDs brought back, and the insane amount of tipped-ball interceptions.

Luckily right now the Vikes just really suck and can't move the ball much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Time Served

Yeah no shit!! Me and my dad were just talking about that. I say fine them for commiting penalties.

"What we need are critical lovers of America - patriots who express their faith in their country by working to improve it." - Hubert H. Humphrey
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Texan

False start Witten.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
False start Witten.
No shit, we're watching the game.

This thread, while somewhat of a rant, has a main purpose... what are your thoughts? how do you stop this team from constantly getting penalized?

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:09 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Either get Wade Phillips to stop being a creampuff coach and start jumping on his players when they fuck up, or replace him with somebody that will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:16 PM
Time Served

Rex Ryan pulls guys out for commiting blatantly stupid penalties, it's a technique but if you lack depth you could shoot yourself in the foot. I am with danny46 on the fine idea.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
The Medium Kabuki

A: A coaching staff that will not tolerate undisciplined players.

What do I win? Hopefully, it is the firing of Wade... (and/or the whole staff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relinquished
tou must think i am dumb or returded
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldecharmoy
i know what a long block is and i know what a short block is
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:11 PM
T-MINUS

$50k fine per penalty (preventable) - for the entire team.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Moved to dfw mustangs.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post

Ouch.

That would definitely fix that shit.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowthreeohz View Post
Ouch.

That would definitely fix that shit.
Yeah, but Wade doesn't have the stones to implement or enforce tough decisions. Wonder how busy the suicide lines in Dallas are right now?

Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 05:54 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Here's my post from the other thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
There are multiple areas that need to be addressed. That said, you have to have a coach('s) in position to actual address these issues like a man amongst men and if they don't perform, pull them, and give someone else a shot to make something happen. The same old song and dance just doesn't work. I think Einstein said it best, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
Lifer

Quote:
This is the most sensible. These guys play for money, so you hit them in their fat-ass wallet.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:37 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Either get Wade Phillips to stop being a creampuff coach and start jumping on his players when they fuck up, or replace him with somebody that will.

This
Is
The
Solution

See what I did there?
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM
PAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kris View Post
I donth think all the blame can be placed on the coaches for example look at Flozel Adams you could count on at least 15yards worth of penalties they got rid of him he went to the steelers and he still is getting called for being deaf

What?
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Lifer

this team is undisiplined, and yea i misspelled that word. Wade Phillips dosent have it in him to be mean or a guy that will get in his players face. They are their own emeny right now.

If I was Jerry Jones Id fire Wade Phillips and make Jason Garrett the head coach for the rest of the year. If Garrett did good then Id keep him but if not then Id hire another coach. Bill Cowher, Brian Billick, John Gruden, a guy that will get in this teams ass. Fix the offensive line, and get another kicker

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:48 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
I don't think the union would stand for that. You can fine for misconduct, but I don't believe you can fine for penalties.

post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Banned

A head coach that doesn't sound like Hank Hill and the $50k fine for the whole team would be a great start.
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
this team is undisiplined, and yea i misspelled that word. Wade Phillips dosent have it in him to be mean or a guy that will get in his players face. They are their own emeny right now.

If I was Jerry Jones Id fire Wade Phillips and make Jason Garrett the head coach for the rest of the year. If Garrett did good then Id keep him but if not then Id hire another coach. Bill Cowher, Brian Billick, John Gruden, a guy that will get in this teams ass. Fix the offensive line, and get another kicker
Fire Wade and put the Offensive coach in, the same offence that is getting the penalties. Garrett is the guy in charge of the offence and they are the problem, so why would making him head coach help at all?

Photobucket
post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:19 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
Fire Wade and put the Offensive coach in, the same offence that is getting the penalties. Garrett is the guy in charge of the offence and they are the problem, so why would making him head coach help at all?
Agreed. It's crazy, the team has so many issues at the moment. There is no way to really fix anything now, the season isn't salvagable. And who could get they right in the middle of the season who wouldn't do the same thing already happening? It's just so frustrating to watch this team fall apart.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 11:24 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
I don't think the union would stand for that. You can fine for misconduct, but I don't believe you can fine for penalties.
Misconduct can also be defined as mismanaging or wrong behavior.

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:31 PM
None

Another stick in this fight is the adjusted placement of the officials. Previously with the umpire behind the defensive line, his view of the offensive line was hampered. Now with the ump behind the offensive line, they are seeing a 23% rise in offensive holding calls alone.

Thing is, that is what these guys learned and it's a freaking habit for them now - they weren't getting busted with it, and now it's kicking everyones ass.

The helmet to helmet / spearing tackles are getting out of hand though. I like a good defensive tactical hit, but a 250 lb defensive back running full out and taking someones head off with a flying leap is just uncontrollable carnage. They've threatened to eject players who've commited these massive hits - it's about damn time they enforce the rules that are already there and start popping off players.

Just fining someone isn't going to make a damn bit of difference when they are pulling down 300-400k+ a game (or more in the case of the multi million dollar star players). I've heard some of the more prolific defensive backs admit to putting aside fine money so they can go out and hurt someone. That's a sign the system is broken.
post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
This is what people who have no clue about football say. It's all Wade, and Romo. Fire Wade, release Romo! It's a broken fucking record around here. These people will never change, because they don't know shit from shinola.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Very Interesting

The team doesn't respect their coach or each other. There is no accountability for mistakes.

Under Parcells this crap didn't happen long. As soon as he took control players knew they would be held accountable for their actions, be it fines, sitting out, etc. Wade just isn't that guy. His defense plays well, but he's not just the DC, and to me that's the problem.

A Head Coach takes ownership, and corrects problems, not just admits to problems.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
This is what people who have no clue about football say. It's all Wade, and Romo. Fire Wade, release Romo! It's a broken fucking record around here. These people will never change, because they don't know shit from shinola.
And you know everything right? Why don't you call Jerry and ask him to hire you if you know so fucking much, and you know exactly what the cowboys should do to get back to winning super bowls. Oh that's right you won't cause you know they will tell you the same thing you tell us that we don't know anything about football. All you are is a wannabe talk show host. You don't have the first clue of coaching or running a professional football team. So why don't you just shut the fuck up and just bitch about how the cowboys suck right now.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
And you know everything right? Why don't you call Jerry and ask him to hire you if you know so fucking much, and you know exactly what the cowboys should do to get back to winning super bowls. Oh that's right you won't cause you know they will tell you the same thing you tell us that we don't know anything about football. All you are is a wannabe talk show host. You don't have the first clue of coaching or running a professional football team. So why don't you just shut the fuck up and just bitch about how the cowboys suck right now.
I'm no longer entertaining your 4th grade education. Find someone else stupid enough to argue with you.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:46 PM
4 Cams are better than 1

<--------After Sunday jumped on the NYJ ban-wagon
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm no longer entertaining your 4th grade education. Find someone else stupid enough to argue with you.
What's wrong you know I'm right? I mean you know SOOOO much about football how come you don't have a career in it? You were a scrub football player in high school weren't you? So now you try to learn everything you can to make up for that pathetic player you were. Wade needs to be fired plain and simple at the end of the season. Bring in a coach that the players will have respect for. But I know Jerry won't do that cause that will be the smart move. So like I said call up Jerry and you will solve all of his problems with the cowboys.

post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced4V View Post
<--------After Sunday jumped on the NYJ ban-wagon
Rex Ryan is a badass coach. After watching hard knocks I have a all new look on him.

post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Lifer

the reason why I said make Garrett the head coach cause Jerry Jones sees Garrett as the coach of the future. So let him coach and see what happens. Your not going to get a Bill Cowher or a Brian Billick in the middle of the year. But after this year then you can.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
the reason why I said make Garrett the head coach cause Jerry Jones sees Garrett as the coach of the future. So let him coach and see what happens. Your not going to get a Bill Cowher or a Brian Billick in the middle of the year. But after this year then you can.
I think the ship has sailed on Garrett. It's been pretty obvious to me since a out week 6 in 2006 or 2007 that he was not HC material. Luckily, this year, people are finally starting to question his moves.
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:41 PM
duh...duh....duh

Still been better years to be a Redskins fan, but the Cowboys are making me happy.

Now, onto my opinion starting with the OP. I've not watched the Cowboy games, but in general I noticed (in general with sports) a lot of penalties occur when a player/team is out matched. i.e. the desperate, aggressive, illegal plays (false starts, interference...etc...etc) Is that the case here?

I mean, maybe the players were lazy during the off season and are being out performed play after play and are trying to cheat/gain an advantage?

My '03 Sold.
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Worship me

Quote:
I think the ship has sailed on Garrett. It's been pretty obvious to me since a out week 6 in 2006 or 2007 that he was not HC material. Luckily, this year, people are finally starting to question his moves.
Oh you don't like his screen pass play he ran about five times that netted a total of about ONE FUCKING YARD? I seriously don't know what the fuck his deal is.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Oh you don't like his screen pass play he ran about five times that netted a total of about ONE FUCKING YARD? I seriously don't know what the fuck his deal is.
Badass2000GT gives me a hard time, but seriously, I could do ten times the job Garrett is with that talent. I mean really... It's awful. Painful to watch. And you can predict what he is going to call, just by knowing down, yards to go, and field position. I've seen him adjust mid game one time, in the whole time he has been here. It was last week, just for the record.
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Worship me

I like when they were pinned in the end zone, refused to take any sort of gamble to get out and then gave up the points anyway.

Seriously, pinned in the endzone and they ran it fucking twice. And at least one of those times that was straight up the middle.

I have never had offensive play calling really "bother" me before but this guy rubs me the wrong fucking way anytime I watch a Cowboy game.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Badass2000GT gives me a hard time, but seriously, I could do ten times the job Garrett is with that talent. I mean really... It's awful. Painful to watch. And you can predict what he is going to call, just by knowing down, yards to go, and field position. I've seen him adjust mid game one time, in the whole time he has been here. It was last week, just for the record.
your not the only one, i think i could do better. I've told all my cowboys fans that the guy that can run this offense is Mike Martz. He can run an offense, and yea Culter has been getting sacks but Romo is more mobile than he is. Dallas has receivers that are talented and has RB's that have talent.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

My wife and I were watching the highlights of Wade's press conference. She said, "He looks like Charley Brown with hair. He's just as wishy washy too..." I think that pretty much nails the problem.

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
Still been better years to be a Redskins fan, but the Cowboys are making me happy.

Now, onto my opinion starting with the OP. I've not watched the Cowboy games, but in general I noticed (in general with sports) a lot of penalties occur when a player/team is out matched. i.e. the desperate, aggressive, illegal plays (false starts, interference...etc...etc) Is that the case here?

I mean, maybe the players were lazy during the off season and are being out performed play after play and are trying to cheat/gain an advantage?
No, that's the infuriating part! They're stupid, pointless penalties 75% of the time. Just seriously dumb, pathetic childish BS penalties. Absolutely infuriating

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 PM
dead

fixing false starts:
snap the ball on 1. i don't recall us causing a single offsides/encroachment penalty on the other team all season. i think we hover around 4 drive killing false starts a game.

fixing delay of games:
(coaches) get your damn plays straight and send the right personnel out faster. call the formation with options. countless times i see barber/jones/bryant/bennett running into a huddle late.
also, throw in a couple of no huddle/hurry up plays every now and then, especially when you have a big change in yardage situations to catch the defense off guard.
(players) listen to the play. get your ass on the line faster.
(romo) assess the defensive package and run the damn play. don't "kill" so many pass plays from the gun.

illegal formation:
either teach the TEs wtf a legal formation is or stop calling crazy shit.

holding (the biggest problem) :
hard to fix now. camp cupcake really did its number on the o-line the last 2 years. no endurance, poor hands = lazy o line = holding.
if an o-lineman makes a mistake in game, make his ass do bear crawls in practice. that's how we did it middle school at least.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Time Served

Dallas will never go to another Superbowl until Jerry Jones is gone. Period. End of discussion. He's the reason they suck. How do you NOT renew the contract of a head coach (Jimmy Johnson) who was winning you superbowls? How do you NOT let your most prolific/talented/all-around badass STAR runningback (Emmit Smith) NOT play his last season with his team, and instead force him to play his last season with Arizona? Seriously?? He needs to keep his ass in seculsion like most of the other owners in the league, stay in his little pressbox, and let the coaches do what they do, instead of sticking his old asshole nose in their business by coming down to the field when his team is sucking, and making things worse. Seriously, he thinks he knows everything about everything (and I'm not just talking football, either-my step brother who works for Manhattan in Dallas was supposed to be one of the contractors building Jerry's new stadium, and during a meeting, Jerry wanted to start changing all this shit in the blueprints AFTER the concrete had already been poured....if you know anything about contracting, you KNOW you can't start changing shit in the blueprints, ESPECIALLY after the thing is already being built).....ugh.....

He also has a thing for making headlines, like hiring Pacman Jones, and other dumbshit characters who he shouldn't have wasted his time on. He loves publicity...the only bad publicity for him is NO publicity.

I want to keep going, but I know alot of you guys will make arguments with me about what I've already said, so I'll stop now, and defend your remarks against mine later.

You WILL have: Long Blonde Hair, Big Green Eyes, World Class Breasts, A Butt That Won't Quit, and Legs..that go ALL THE WAY UP!!!
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Lifer

JJ should stick to making creepy papjohns TV comercials and give the fuck up on trying to run the cowboys.
post #41 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Lifer

I didnt want to start a seperate thread but this is a rant about penalties so I figured I would throw it in here.

I was so pissed when Austin got that celebration penalty because the whole situation with Columbo was he fell down and that is when it became a penalty but Austin never fell. Now the NFL realizes they fucked up and instead of admitting it they are saying the official on the field was wrong and instead the penalty was on Sam Hurd for throwing the Hook 'em horns sign along with Williams so its now "choreographed".

Fucking NFL is trying their damnest to make football boring!

As far as getting the boys to stop commiting so many penalties, get a coaching staff that knows where to hit the players hardest (either benching them or fining them) and will actually do it! We have the biggest pussy for a head coach, its no wonder the teams lacks so much discipline.
post #42 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
I didnt want to start a seperate thread but this is a rant about penalties so I figured I would throw it in here.

I was so pissed when Austin got that celebration penalty because the whole situation with Columbo was he fell down and that is when it became a penalty but Austin never fell. Now the NFL realizes they fucked up and instead of admitting it they are saying the official on the field was wrong and instead the penalty was on Sam Hurd for throwing the Hook 'em horns sign along with Williams so its now "choreographed".

Fucking NFL is trying their damnest to make football boring!

As far as getting the boys to stop commiting so many penalties, get a coaching staff that knows where to hit the players hardest (either benching them or fining them) and will actually do it! We have the biggest pussy for a head coach, its no wonder the teams lacks so much discipline.
Actually the penalty wasn't for Austin jumping over Roy, they claimed it was for some d-bag next to them "trying" to do the hook 'em horns sign, which he didn't even do it right. You couldn't see it during the game because of the camera angles, but they showed it on ESPN.
post #43 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Actually the penalty wasn't for Austin jumping over Roy, they claimed it was for some d-bag next to them "trying" to do the hook 'em horns sign, which he didn't even do it right. You couldn't see it during the game because of the camera angles, but they showed it on ESPN.
LOL did you read the rest of my post? I know, the NFL says it was on Sam Hurd. Thats the point, obviously the officials on the field who threw the flag intended for it to be on Austin, yet the NFL knows it was bullshit and instead of admitting the officials had a hard on for the cowboys they are throwing out the BS about Sam Hurd throwing the hook 'em horns.
post #44 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lason View Post
LOL did you read the rest of my post? I know, the NFL says it was on Sam Hurd. Thats the point, obviously the officials on the field who threw the flag intended for it to be on Austin, yet the NFL knows it was bullshit and instead of admitting the officials had a hard on for the cowboys they are throwing out the BS about Sam Hurd throwing the hook 'em horns.
Don't mind me.
post #45 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous. I am already so angry right now and we're barely into the 2nd quarter.

What do you do to make your players stop fouling your team into oblivion? One-on-one with the players? Coaching changes?

I feel bad for Romo, Witten, Austin, etc. after watching so many drives squandered, TDs brought back, and the insane amount of tipped-ball interceptions.

Luckily right now the Vikes just really suck and can't move the ball much.
Simple, tell them to pull their heads out of their asses
post #46 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Lifer

Oh and all the guys making holding and facemasking penalties, duct tape their hands all to hell!
post #47 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Anyone else find it humorous that Dallas has more excessive celebration penalties than they do wins?
post #48 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:12 AM
Lifer

post #49 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Anyone else find it humorous that Dallas has more excessive celebration penalties than they do wins?
It is ridiculous. But the things that are getting called are fucking stupid, too. I'm not putting losses on the refs by any stretch of the imagination, but the calls are just retarded.

That said, I agree. They don't need to be celebrating anything. They didn't win the SB, hell, they didn't even win the games. What's that saying? Act like you've been there before?
post #50 of 53 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 01:27 PM
Public Melt Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Ditka.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement