Former NFL quarterback rips league's breast cancer footballs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Former NFL quarterback rips league's breast cancer footballs

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck(notes) said that the new footballs featuring a breast cancer awareness ribbon have been a "disaster" for the league.

Speaking to a radio show, the current ESPN analyst said he's texted numerous quarterbacks in the league who have complained about the slickness of the new balls.

"They're playing with these breast cancer awareness balls. These balls are brand new, right out of the bag," Hasselback explained. "Now they get slick -- I texted a couple quarterbacks during the game. They all said, 'These balls have been a disaster.' So I think that's something to note."

The balls are part of the NFL's month-long breast cancer awareness campaign called "A Crucial Catch," which is focused on the importance of annual screenings for women. They have been in use for two weeks.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told Pro Football Talk that the ribbon balls are no different than the ones that were in play in September.

Monday night's game between the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets was specifically mentioned by Hasseleback as an example of how the ball negatively affects play. He noted that the torrential rain and slick balls were a nasty combination. He may be right, but it also could be that the rain was the real issue and no ball, however good, would have made a difference. Whatever it was, Brett Favre(notes) succumbed to it when he fumbled an easy snap in the second quarter:

Complaints over new balls being slick is nothing new. In 2007 the Cowboys lost a playoff game in Seattle when a new ball slipped through the hands of Tony Romo(notes). The team complained that the so-called K-Balls, used specifically for kicking, were too smooth to snap and catch properly.

Hasselbeck wouldn't say which quarterbacks complained about the new ball. His brother, Matt, who plays for the Seattle Seahawks, threw for just 189 yards with one interception and no touchdowns in the one game he played with the slick ball. Assuming that he was one of Tim's quarterback sources, Matt would have every reason to want to blame the ball rather than his own shaky play.

Related: Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings, New York Jets, Seattle Seahawks

So that explains it!!!!!

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Lifer

I think you just like talking about shiny balls.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM
Lifer

he may have a point. The logo for the NFL is bigger with the breast cancer logo on it.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Lifer

do we really need a month of it? I mean, what about all the other great causes out there?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Lifer

No one said anything about them last year...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
gear jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKR View Post
do we really need a month of it? I mean, what about all the other great causes out there?
We should get a month of testicular cancer awareness as payback

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKR View Post
It's a marketing thing. It's for a good cause but it's also a way to get women into watching football. Mo' money.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I was sick of all the random pink trim (no pun intended, well maybe) after about 5 minutes. Pink just doesn't look good on any NFL uniforms.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAjeff View Post
Complaints over new balls being slick is nothing new. In 2007 the Cowboys lost a playoff game in Seattle when a new ball slipped through the hands of Tony Romo(notes). The team complained that the so-called K-Balls, used specifically for kicking, were too smooth to snap and catch properly.

There's always a fucking excuse!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
I was sick of all the random pink trim (no pun intended, well maybe) after about 5 minutes. Pink just doesn't look good on any NFL uniforms.
I think the gloves and cleats are ok, on certain teams. But those hideous fucking chin straps kill it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
CEO of......

Y'all would bitch about free money
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 PM
dead

I'm sick of breast cancer awareness.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 06:58 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I think the gloves and cleats are ok, on certain teams. But those hideous fucking chin straps kill it.
The pink bill of the sideline hats are terrible also. And the pink towels aren't even the correct shade of pink.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Y'all would bitch about free money
Of course, there is no such thing as free money.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:26 AM

The whole thing is a little over the top... If they wanted to have 1 or 2 UNIFORM pink items, the same for EVERYONE, it might not be so annoying, but the way it is, its just away for each player to try and be different and play the look at me game.

Oh, and calling Tim Hasslebeck a "former NFL quarterback" is a bit of a strecth. There are punters with more pass attempts than he had.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Lifer

I fully expect a team to have a full uniform outfitted for at least one game in the future. It will be interesting watching demarcus ware running around in a white jersey with pink numbers and pink lines going down the sides of his pants.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement