View Poll Results: Who will win ?
OU 32 54.24%
UT 27 45.76%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

OU vs UT 2010

....not a very hyped up RRS like in the past year.. but yeah, let the trash talking begin.

Game is this saturday at 2:30PM on ABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Lifer

Texas.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Lifer

Strangely enough, if UT had edged out UCLA, I'd say OU blowout. But...I think they were embarrassed and will be ready for OU. Even so, I picked OU by 10 in an earlier thread (though it was "emotionally" driven after that loss), and I'll stick with the OU win. I love my 'Horn's, but it doesn't look good. Hook 'em!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:03 AM
Lifer

I have no idea who will win this but I did vote for Texas.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

The Longhorns have the talent, they just aren't working that well as a team. If their defense doesn't play any better than they did against UCLA it'll be another ugly showing. I think they will have a different mindset going in to this game after the thrashing they got last week and they'll take care of business. UT by 10.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:03 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badass2000gt View Post
I have no idea who will win this but I did vote for Texas.
x2

I don't know shit about college this year.....

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 AM
4 Cams are better than 1

Want UT to win....but I think OU will be taking it this year
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Resident Epicurean

All I can say is that I wish UT hadn't lost against UCLA. While it provides me with great entertainment, good teams bounce back and we all know UT is better than the product they had on the field this past Saturday.

This really is a toss up. Both teams are shells of their former selves, both teams lost some great key players, and both teams are desperate to win.

I'm going to call OU by 3. 24-21.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
All I can say is that I wish UT hadn't lost against UCLA. While it provides me with great entertainment, good teams bounce back and we all know UT is better than the product they had on the field this past Saturday.

This really is a toss up. Both teams are shells of their former selves, both teams lost some great key players, and both teams are desperate to win.

I'm going to call OU by 3. 24-21.
LOL when in doubt, pick your favorite team.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:46 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
I'm just saying, it really could go either way. More so than any other recent RRS games. And when it's as close as this game will be, of course you go with your gut.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Pushed to the limit

The Big 12 in general looks pretty weak thus far. I am going wiith Texas because I love my Longhorns win or lose.

Buying dogs kills.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
That's what I did.

2010 F-350 6.4L 4X4 CC SRW Longbed

Spartan 250 tune, 5 inch Flo-Pro exhaust w/DPF delete, AFE stage 2 CAI
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm over it!

I have no clue this season. After the embarrassing game last weekend, I doubt UT.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

close game i bet... our offense magically stops working after we are up 14+ and then decide to make it a nail biter.

OU has a potent offense, but forgets its playbook in the 2nd half.

OU by 3

No matter how crappy both of the teams are playing, its usually a close game due to rivalry.

Another prediction, Landry will stare down his WR and UT is bound to have 2 picks this game.
Demarco will have 100 yards by the 3rd qt but be injured
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:43 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
close game i bet... our offense magically stops working after we are up 14+ and then decide to make it a nail biter.

OU has a potent offense, but forgets its playbook in the 2nd half.

OU by 3

No matter how crappy both of the teams are playing, its usually a close game due to rivalry.

Another prediction, Landry will stare down his WR and UT is bound to have 2 picks this game.
Demarco will have 100 yards by the 3rd qt but be injured

Those better be pick 6's or UT might not score much.

17-14 TEXAS
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Time Served

I think Texas bounces back. Texas by 3

I do feel it will be a close game.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
Those better be pick 6's or UT might not score much.

17-14 TEXAS
I think our offense will go to a quick start, score 3 tds and Wilson shreds our playbook because he plays not to lose after being up a couple of touchdowns. UT makes a comeback and then whoever has the ball last will win. I cant see the future, but i can see the current trend of how OU plays.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I think our offense will go to a quick start, score 3 tds and Wilson shreds our playbook because he plays not to lose after being up a couple of touchdowns. UT makes a comeback and then whoever has the ball last will win. I cant see the future, but i can see the current trend of how OU plays.
God I hope OU doesn't score 3 quick TDs

I really don't feel good about this game for Texas.

It can go either way.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 05:03 PM
You never go full retard

Can't quite say who will win but i'll bet it's by 7 points or less.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM
Genetically Blessed

Looks like Vegas has OU by 4. Can't disagree with that, but I'll vote Horns.
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

wow this thread has sucked compared to the past RRS threads...

post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:07 AM
CEO of......

It's not just this thread. Even the OU and UT boards are quiet
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
It's not just this thread. Even the OU and UT boards are quiet
pff the OU board is still complaining about Landry Jones... oh he won big 12 player of the week and apparently he is a bust.... fans get so spoiled and expect a Sam Bradford or Adrian Peterson player every year.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:34 AM
Time Served

Quote:
pff the OU board is still complaining about Landry Jones... oh he won big 12 player of the week and apparently he is a bust.... fans get so spoiled and expect a Sam Bradford or Adrian Peterson player every year.
Same thing with Texas. They got spolied with Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and expect that with the next one in line.

I feel bad for Garrett Gilbert. But I think he will turn out to be a great QB.
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

I was talking along this lines of shit talk. But yes, UT boards are doing the same type of bitching, even before the loss.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaTX5.0 View Post
Same thing with Texas. They got spolied with Vince Young/Colt McCoy, and expect that with the next one in line.

I feel bad for Garrett Gilbert. But I think he will turn out to be a great QB.
Its pretty idiotic when fans think the player who replaces them starts out slow and automatically labels him a bust. I tend to stay away from the forums on game day on the OU board.

Landry had about 5 incompletions at towards the end of the 2nd half, 3 in result to drops or something ( i cant remember specifically) and the people on the board wanted a RS Freshmen who has yet to taken a snap in a live college game to get an opportunity to play

Quote:
I was talking along this lines of shit talk. But yes, UT boards are doing the same type of bitching, even before the loss.
Neither teams have room to talk, but i can tell you if UT was undefeated this thread would have been blown up haha.

post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Time Served

voted with my heart... TEXAS, but my mind says its going to be a long day.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Its pretty idiotic when fans think the player who replaces them starts out slow and automatically labels him a bust. I tend to stay away from the forums on game day on the OU board.

Landry had about 5 incompletions at towards the end of the 2nd half, 3 in result to drops or something ( i cant remember specifically) and the people on the board wanted a RS Freshmen who has yet to taken a snap in a live college game to get an opportunity to play

Neither teams have room to talk, but i can tell you if UT was undefeated this thread would have been blown up haha.

Blown up? Maybe from a select few lol
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:01 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
wow this thread has sucked compared to the past RRS threads...

No national title implications?

post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
Genetically Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
I think he posts here.
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Old School

Like others, I picked with my heart.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
i think he posts here.
lol!

post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Marquise and Deja Goodwin are siblings with twin hearts taking different strides

12:41 AM CDT on Friday, October 1, 2010

By BRAD TOWNSEND / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

Born 10 months apart, Marquise and Deja Goodwin are practically twins in age and kindred spirits.

Both are 19, with gentle eyes and cheery demeanors. They share an intuitive wavelength, even though and probably because the world views them so differently.

Marquise is a University of Texas sophomore receiver and world-class track athlete. Deja has cerebral palsy.

Rowlett High School graduate Marquise is an academic All-American with 2012 Olympics aspirations. Deja has never walked but vicariously strides alongside the slightly older brother she proudly calls "Pookie."

"I guess you could categorize her as special needs," Marquise says. "But she's always just been my sister.

"I feel that God put her in my life for this certain reason, to be my inspiration and keep me going."

Texas fans know Marquise as the 5-9, 175-pounder who arrived on a track scholarship but made the football team last fall and scored his first touchdown in storybook fashion.

It was only a 14-yard reception, but it happened against Oklahoma and was Texas' only touchdown in a 16-13 victory.

Marquise swears that as he high-stepped into the end zone, he heard his mother, Tamina, shriek above the din of 96,009 fans at the Cotton Bowl. Perhaps it was a subliminal echo from single-parent Tamina's cheering since Marquise was 9.

Deja wasn't in the Cotton Bowl that day. She has attended four Texas games but watched this one on TV at her grandmother's house in Mesquite.

"We were screamin'," Deja recalls, beaming. She had given Pookie her usual pregame instruction by phone, held to her ear by grandma Billie Williams. "You better do good. I'll be watching you."

As the game wore into the third quarter tied at 6, Deja fidgeted on the couch.

"Grandma, I don't see Pookie."

Williams reassured her that Marquise would return.

"When he made the touchdown, she started having muscle spasms," Williams says. "Her body stiffened, and she almost slid down to the floor hollering.

"'He did it! He did it! He did it!' "

Natural talent

Marquise came by his athleticism and book smarts naturally.

Tamina Goodwin was an A-B student, ran track and played tennis at Lubbock Monterey High School.

Though she's only 5 feet 3, her best sport was basketball. As a junior, she was a starting point guard the season Monterey advanced to the 1990 state tournament, losing to Houston Yates in the semifinals.

A month later, she became pregnant with Marquise. He was born on Nov. 19, two months premature but healthy.

At her mother's urging, Tamina graduated and left for Southwestern Christian College in Terrell, where a basketball scholarship awaited. She was again pregnant, by the same man, but hoped to pursue her degree and eventually play.

"I went into labor three months early," she says. "They couldn't stop my delivery. I went from an athlete to a 24-7 mom."

The baby's given name was Shaniquah, though everyone would call her Deja. Doctors said that even if the 3-pound girl survived the first few days, she probably wouldn't live beyond six months.

After a month in the hospital, she was sent home with a heart monitor. She began to show symptoms of cerebral palsy, which is caused when the brain's motor control centers are damaged.

Tamina says doctors told her that even if Deja lived beyond six months, she would never walk and probably would never talk.

Meanwhile, the children's biological father disappeared. Tamina said he has never been in their lives, missing family hardship but also triumphs – most recently Deja's 19th birthday two weeks ago.

"As far back as I can remember, I realized she was different," Marquise says. "Usually, brothers and sisters don't get along, but she's been my girl from Day One.

"She always has this bright smile, just being Deja."

Marquise says there were rare exceptions during their childhood. During extended-family gatherings, Deja seemed sad when the kids went out to play and she couldn't join them. So Marquise often stayed inside with her.

Sometimes, Deja says she wishes she could run like Pookie. Tamina and Marquis nod and smile, then turn away, misty-eyed.

"He tries to be there for her in every way," Tamina says. "Her walk. Her talk. Her thoughts. He wants to take her places, so she can experience what he does."

Move to North Texas

Tamina got married and had two more daughters, Brye and Chez Henry, now 15 and 13.

But the marriage ended when Marquise was in ninth grade, again leaving Tamina as a single parent, now of four.

She tried various jobs, but Deja's need for constant care required flexible work hours. A logical option seemed to be hairdressing, so she attended Lubbock's International Business College and earned a cosmetology certificate in 2000.

When her mother moved to Mesquite and required surgery in 2002, Tamina wanted to live nearby, so she uprooted her family from Lubbock.

The closest they could get was Arlington. Deja's disability qualified them for Section 8 housing, which provides rental assistance to low-income families. But families can only go where such housing is available.

After a year in Arlington, Tamina found a home in Rowlett, where Marquise blossomed into a football standout and seven-time Class 5A champion in the long jump, triple jump and sprint relay.

Often, Tamina's father, Ira Goodwin, came from Amarillo to take care of household needs and to watch Marquise compete.

Tamina says her father was the closest person Marquise had to a father figure. But Ira Goodwin died when Marquise was 14.

"On July 20, 2005," Marquise says. "After he passed, it was hard to maintain. I was an emotional wreck."

Tamina says the devastation triggered sudden maturation in Marquise. He got a job at Abercrombie & Fitch in Town East Mall and worked part-time for a moving company.

Always attentive to Deja, he was now strong enough to carry her upstairs, set her in the bathtub or employ her favorite game, in which he holds her by the arms or legs and they spin like a top.

When Marquise signed his track letter of intent on Feb. 4, 2009, Rowlett High onlookers smiled as he lifted Tamina like a baby and posed for pictures. But only family and friends knew the extent of mother and son's pride and joy.

She had insisted that 9-year-old Marquise finish track workouts when he didn't feel like it. She played one-on-one basketball with him. She cheered so boisterously at his games and meets that he could always spot her.

On the day he signed his track letter of intent, he vowed to also try out for football at Texas. He had been recruited with the understanding that he would try to walk on, but friends scoffed, saying that he wasn't big enough.

"I'm the type of person," he says, "that if someone doubts me, I'm definitely going to prove them wrong."

'That's my brother'

Tamina and her daughters moved to DeSoto about a year ago.

The home is single-story, so 120-pound Tamina no longer has to carry 100-pound Deja upstairs.

Deja smiles when Tamina wheels her into the living room for her first interview, though she glances warily at the notepad and tape recorder.

"Hi!" she says, giggling, which she does often.

Last year, she attended two Texas football games, both in Austin. Awed by the setting and crowd size, she mostly watched the huge video screen, telling nearby fans, "That's my brother."

Afterward, she visited Pookie and some of his teammates in the family area outside the locker room.

She says she especially enjoyed meeting "the ones with the dreds." Tamina identifies them as safety Earl Thomas and fullback Antwan Cobb. Did Deja have a crush on one of them?

"No!!!" she says.

If her heart has room for any male besides Pookie, it is certainly Usher, whose concert posters adorn her bedroom walls.

Marquise is somewhat famous, with his own Wikipedia entry and 5,004 Facebook friends. But considering her starting odds, Deja has more than overachieved.

Marquise won the NCAA long jump title on June 12 with a leap of 26-9, seven inches farther than the runner-up. Deja has competed in local Special Olympics meets for five years and has medals to prove it.

Marquise had a 3.5 grade point average as a freshman. He is majoring in kinesiology not only to become a physical therapist but also to gain knowledge about how his and Deja's bodies function.

Deja is a senior in DeSoto High School's Life Skills Program and is scheduled to graduate next spring. Tamina says she considers Deja fortunate because of the program's 11 students, only a few can speak.

Deja says she gets extra attention at school "because people ask me who my brother plays for and what number he is."

Marquise is blessed with other, less known abilities. He can do somersaults and is a talented sketch artist. Most who meet Deja compliment her on her toned biceps, gained mostly from pushing herself up from the floor while watching TV.

"Little Miss Bossy, she keeps us in line," laughs Tamina. "All four of my kids, I wouldn't trade for the whole world. They've made me a better person."

Eight months ago, 37-year-old Tamina landed a job at Walmart. She was soon moved to the customer service counter because she seemed unusually patient and personable.

Good luck charm

She usually works the 3 to 11 p.m. shift. Her mother and her boyfriend, Nakei Thomas, pitch in at home.

It also helps that Brye and Chez are now old enough to help with Deja.

Still, Marquise checks in several times daily from Austin.

He is far from the first college athlete to come from difficult circumstances, sit in high-tech classrooms and practice in multimillion-dollar facilities and worry whether the bills are getting paid back home.

For Marquise, there's added concern and helplessness because he's 200 miles from the sister who has counted on him her entire life.

"When I talk to him, I try to keep my peppy voice," Tamina says. "Even when I do worry, he'll be the last to know.

"I tell him, 'Baby, focus on you. We're good over here. You have a job now. You work out, play football, run track, and you get those grades.' "

For her birthday two weeks ago, Deja had one request. She wanted to see Pookie play, which meant trekking to her first Texas road game, in Lubbock.

Tamina piled boyfriend Thomas and the girls into her 2006 Kia Rio, with Deja's wheelchair taking most of the trunk space, for the five-plus hour drive.

About 20 family members and friends cheered Marquise as he returned to his and Deja's birthplace to catch four passes in a Texas victory.

Afterward, Thomas gently lowered Deja over the stadium railing, into Marquise's arms.

Camera flashes spotlighted brother and sister as friends and relatives captured the moment. Birthday wish: fulfilled.

"She told me she's my good luck charm," Marquise says. "Seeing that smile on her face, man, is just priceless."

Deja got her birthday wish. She cheered for her brother, Marquise, at a game two weeks ago in their birthplace, Lubbock. And UT beat Texas Tech.
View larger Photography Photo store
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...14770317c.html

Quote:
Kirk Herbstreit roughs up Longhorns: Texas' offense 'not there' and defense is 'pedestrian'

10:23 AM CDT on Friday, October 1, 2010

SportsDayDFW.com

ESPN College Gameday’s Kirk Herbstreit was interviewed on KESN-FM on Wednesday to discuss the upcoming Texas-Oklahoma game in Dallas. Here are some highlights:

Did the Texas Longhorns prove with their loss to UCLA that they’re the most overrated team in the nation?

I hate to say ‘I told you so’ but I kind of told you so. We’ve been talking for four weeks about how their offense has just not been there and how eventually it was going to catch up to them. And I thought it might be this week in Dallas when they went up against a defense that might be able to do that.

When you add the combination of you no longer having a mobile quarterback, you no longer can establish the line of scrimmage and run the football, you don’t have a difference maker at wide receiver that proven like Jordan Shipley and you’re breaking in a new quarterback who’s still trying to get his confidence established, all those things are bad.

You add all that up and it’s no wonder that finally, against a team that can match up against them athletically, what happened against UCLA. The crazy thing is that’s the same UCLA team that lost to Kansas State, got the doors blown off by Stanford and then they kind of found themselves the teams in the state of Texas: Houston and of course, the Longhorns.

So, I don’t think this is going to go away. I expect the adjustment to be you see Texas go to more four wide receivers sets; I think they’re going to line [Garrett] Gilbert back up in the shotgun more and just kind of dink and dunk and hope that [Marquise] Goodwin and [James] Kirkendall and some of their receivers that got speed can make a play. But I think them trying to run the football…I think they figured out they can’t run the football and unless they’re able to find some playmakers on the outside led by Kirkendall or Goodwin or whomever it might be, these woes will continue against a better team like Oklahoma this week and Nebraska coming up in a couple of weeks.

How would you fix the Oklahoma defense, which has been surprising bad so far this year?

Yea, they have been and I think that’s a bit more of mystery than Texas. Texas was pretty predictable on paper when you looked at them. It was just more ‘let me see it to believe it’. Oklahoma is almost like ‘are you kidding me?’ Utah State put yards on them. Air Force you almost expect to put yards up on them. Cincinnati puts up yards on them? I wonder how much that is between their ears as it is with the physical ability.

I think the secondary is breaking in a lot of new people. They have two new corners; they’ve been exposed a little bit. But the linebackers have been out of position; they’ve been run on. I think this week, against Texas, because of Texas’s struggles, there’s a pretty good chance you’re going to see this team load up. They’ve done a pretty good job of defending against Texas, even when they have good talent but I think they’ll be a little bit more amped up and I think the emotions of the game, I think it’ll affect them. I think they’re healthier than they’ve been all year, which could also help but sometimes I just look at Oklahoma and I look at the results of their defense and it doesn’t always add up to the personnel and the skill. Maybe again, it’s just some of these newer players that are stepping up in key spots have yet to really see the game and are able to react according, but this week, I expect them to play much better.

Will Oklahoma follow UCLA’s lead and just load up the box offensively and run the ball against Texas?

Yea, I think they probably will. I went back and I looked and DeMarco Murray, his first year that he went up against Texas, he had over 100 yards as a freshman and then in the last two games, I think he has like 12 carries for three yards, combined. I would say, for DeMarco Murray, he’s one of those guys that is in a contract year. It’s his senior year; he’s had so much potential for three years but never quite lived up to it; he’s been battling injuries; this is kind of his contract year to show the league what he’s about for the draft. And I think this is one of those games, a high-profile game, because he’s struggled, I think he’s really looking to get out and after seeing that Pistol offense, I’m sure he’s excited. But I think it’s really Landry Jones and Ryan Broyles and Cameron Kenney, that whole group, there’s enough playmakers on the outside there that I think they can challenge Texas.

And I think Texas…it was crazy. For the first four weeks of the season, three and a half weeks of the season anyway, we looked at Texas as the best defense in the country, arguably one of the best. And now, after half a football game, it’s like they’re pedestrian. So I still think they have some talent, but I don’t know. I really like Oklahoma in this game; I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...s.27ce978.html

Quote:
Like father, like sons: Stoops brothers came by their coaching genes honestly

01:21 AM CDT on Friday, October 1, 2010

By JEFF MILLER / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

The afterlife, Oklahoma's Bob Stoops joked this week, might afford him a coaching luxury denied in this world.

"I want to come back as an offensive coach," he said. "Offensive coaches get to give up and punt. Defensive coaches don't.

"You wonder why we're always so edgy? You're out there 14, 15, 16 plays, and then the scoreboard lights up. It's no fun."

Stoops never really had a choice of his life's work. His DNA dictated football coach, specifically defensive. That's what his father, Ron Stoops, did for 30 years in Youngstown, Ohio, at Cardinal Mooney High School, where Bob and his three brothers and two sisters attended.

Ron was coaching the night he died 22 years ago next week. The boys have taken the family business to new heights.

Bob Stoops is in his 12th season as head coach at OU. Mike Stoops is in his seventh as head coach at Arizona. The youngest, Mark Stoops, is Florida State's first-year defensive coordinator. The oldest, Ron Jr., just ended 29 years as a high school assistant to coach safeties at nearby Youngstown State in the Football Championship Subdivision.

"My dad was never one to push anything on us," Bob said. "We just gravitated to it from following him around."

Their mother, Dee Stoops, said she's most proud of them for something unrelated to X's and O's.

"They're very competitive," she said, "but they'll be the first to shake your hand if you beat them."

Hayden Fry coached the three youngest Stoops brothers at Iowa, following his days at SMU and North Texas, and gave each his coaching start.

"There's no better people in the world than the Stoops family," he said.

Competitive as kids

If the Stoops boys were born to be coaches, they developed a locker room mentality early. They shared one bedroom, the only room upstairs in the family's Cape Cod-style home.

"We'd always be laughing and giggling going to bed," Ron Jr. recalled. "Dad would walk up the stairs and try to determine the culprit. Dad had a way of getting his message across."

Ron Sr. also coached baseball, officiated, scored basketball games, played baseball into his 40s and later softball. When the boys weren't tagging along with him, they played various sports at nearby Pemberton Park or staged games at home.

Neighborhood friends included Nebraska coach Bo Pelini, his brother Carl and former pro boxer Ray Mancini.

In less formal activities, the brothers liked to hide behind furniture and throw toy bowling pins at each other. Or play with dart guns – after removing the darts' rubber suction tips. Dee sometimes broke up wrestling matches between Bob and Mike – in the pews at St. Dominic Catholic Church during Holy Communion.

"We were jammed in together," Bob said in explanation.

"I don't know what we were wrestling for," Mike said, "but Bob was ornery back then."

Older sister Kathy Drummond said all six children – including younger sister Maureen "Reenie" Farragher, now a nurse – got their intensity from their father, whom she said is somewhat sold short when described as a great coach.

"He was a very dedicated teacher," said Kathy, an elementary schoolteacher for 31 years. "My father was dedicated to his job and family. Sports was definitely secondary to being good people."

Ron Jr. went into high school coaching, attracted by what he saw in his father.

"My dad loved his job, loved his life," Ron Jr. said. "He felt like he was the richest man in the world."

Feeling rich was important in the northeastern Ohio city of Youngstown, where the steel industry started crumbling in the 1970s and more than half the population of 140,000 eventually left.

Ron Jr. attended Youngstown State but didn't play football there. Bob accepted Iowa's invitation to leave home and began the parade of three Stoops boys who became standout safeties for the Hawkeyes. Each wore No. 41.

"Bob was kind of the maverick of the family," Mike said. "He started the Iowa tradition. I don't know if we'd be where we are today if he didn't."

It didn't take long for Bob, after his playing days, to prove his worth as an Iowa volunteer assistant coach. In a 1985 game against Illinois, he spotted an Illini offensive formation that he recognized from game films. Fry could hear Bob, up in the coaches' booth, scream through the defensive coordinator's headset, "They're gonna run a reverse!" Illinois did, and Iowa stopped it for a loss.

"I got on the headset after the play," said Fry, now retired in Nevada, "and said, 'Bobby, you're gonna make a hell of a coach!' "

In October 1988, Ron Sr. became ill on the sideline late in a game against rival Boardman High, where Ron Jr. coached then. Ron Jr. accompanied his father in the ambulance, and Ron Sr. died before reaching the hospital. By all appearances fit at age 54, Ron Sr. had heart disease.

A bronze statue of him now occupies the lobby at Mooney.

Exception granted

Some pairing of the three younger brothers has coached together in college for 19 seasons. When Bob became OU's head coach in 1999, he wanted to hire both Mike and Mark. University policy prohibited nepotism. Allowed one exception, he hired Mike.

"That might have been a blessing," Mike said laughing. "It's already chaotic enough with two."

Mike said memories such as sharing the 2000 national title are priceless, but the arrangement was sometimes awkward. As it was when Mark later worked for him at Arizona.

"I used to complain to Mark about what I was going through [working for Bob]," Mike said. "Then Mark had the same complaints with me. It's just hard."

Former Texas Tech head coach Mike Leach served on Bob's OU staff alongside Mike. He said he never detected any difficulty between the brothers or any sentiment from other assistants that Bob favored Mike.

"They worked together really well," Leach said. "They got along like a million bucks."

Likewise, the brothers abhor coaching against each other. That occurred for the first time a few weeks ago when Mark's Florida State team faced OU in a game that Mark was unaware of when he joined the Seminoles in January.

As much as it bothers them, it might be even tougher on Dee. She attended that game and elected to sit on the home side.

"I can't tell you how hard it was on all of us," she said.

Two days earlier, Bob turned 50. Dee, Kathy and other relatives came in early and enjoyed a quiet celebration at Bob's home – a cookout and cake.

With Ron Sr. dying at 54, the boys try to stay in shape and minimize stress in a stressful, time-consuming profession. Many college head coaches gather their staffs around dawn, but Bob starts his staff workdays at 8:45 so the coaches can see their families in the morning.

Mike tries to get away most Friday mornings to play golf or tennis. Ron Jr. elected to enter college coaching this season in a situation that he said fits him perfectly. His children are finally out of high school, and he still teaches during the day at nearby Boardman.

Last Saturday, hundreds of relatives and friends drove to Cincinnati to see Bob coach in his home state for the first time since he was Kansas State's co-defensive coordinator in 1995. "Stoops Troops" they called themselves.

"You're so wrapped up in the game, I didn't have much time to see 'em other than after the game," Bob said.

OU hung on for a two-point win over Cincinnati. That same day, Youngstown State, Florida State and Arizona all won at home. A good day for the family business.

."I feel lucky to be part of such a good family," Ron Jr. said. "Those guys are good coaches. And good guys."

The Stoops résumés

RON JR. (Age 53)

2010: Youngstown State safeties coach and director of high school relations (spent 29 years in Ohio high school coaching at Youngstown Ursuline, Canton Central Catholic, Boardman and Youngstown Cardinal Mooney)

BOB (50)

1979-82: played for Iowa

1983-84: Iowa grad assistant

1985-87: Iowa volunteer coach

1988: Kent State assistant

1989-90: Kansas State assistant

1991-95: Kansas State co-defensive coordinator

1996-98: Florida defensive coordinator

1999-: Oklahoma head coach

MIKE (48)

1981-84: played for Iowa

1986-87: Iowa grad assistant

1988-91: Iowa volunteer coach

1992-95: Kansas State assistant

1996-98: Kansas State co-defensive coordinator

1999-03: Oklahoma defensive coordinator

2004-: Arizona head coach

MARK (43)

1986-89: played for Iowa

1990-91: Iowa grad assistant

1996: South Florida assistant

1997-99: Wyoming assistant

2000: Houston co-defensive coordinator

2001-03: Miami (Fla.) assistant

2004-09: Arizona defensive coordinator

2010: Florida State defensive coordinator

(Spent four years in Ohio high school coaching at Macedonia Nordonia)

NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENTS

The Stoops brothers have been part of three major college national championships:

1996 Florida (Bob defensive coordinator)

2000 Oklahoma (Bob head coach, Mike defensive coordinator)

2001: Miami (Mark assistant)
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM
Time Served

Lets go OU!!!!

post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
Yeah, give stoops credit for not taking his bs though.

post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Banned

I picked UT because I want them to win, but I honestly think OU will take it this year unless somebody can figure out the problem with UT's offense. I guess it can be blamed on inexperience but still. They look like a shitty highschool team out there.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

My friend Deanna in her dads kickass car.

post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
um, that is pretty fucking stupid looking
Coming from the OU homer, that means nothing. It's not a daily driver you retard. The family has a UT history. The car itself is tits, and the Texas theme is awesome but not over the top.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
I would say that about any car that looked like that, it is gay, and yes, it is WAY over the top. Those stupid horns on the front? Give me a break. When it comes to "theme" cars, less is more. The car is pretty sweet, hell, I will even go as far to say that the ugly ass burnt orange interior isn't too bad, but when you put that huge longhorn on the side and the huge horns on the front, it is not a cartoon car fit for only a Disney movie. Do you think he could get Larry The Cable Guy to do a voice for it?
A theme car shouldn't be "less is more." If somebody replaced the longhorn on the side with OU and in place of the horns on the front with a teepee or dead indian or whatever you sooners enjoy you'd be shitting your fatass pants over it.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 02:37 PM
PAN

Fuck studly, dig the the car.

Would like to see a pic or two of Deanna though...

Go Horns!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement