Mirko Cro-Cop and Frank Mir both just lost a fan. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Mirko Cro-Cop and Frank Mir both just lost a fan.

This fight was enough for me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 PM

Yeah, that was pretty atrocious. I have never rooted for a referee to break fighters up so hard before. It looked like neither one of those guys wanted to actually try and hurt the other one. Awful card, awful main event.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
Yeah, that was pretty atrocious. I have never rooted for a referee to break fighters up so hard before. It looked like neither one of those guys wanted to actually try and hurt the other one. Awful card, awful main event.
Between Mir running his mouth (like always) doing nothing to press the fight for 14:30, and a guy who would have fought an Army a few years ago dodging and circling with no aggression at all I'm appalled.

I have enjoyed watching these guys fight for years. If Cro-Cop doesn't watch out, He'll be remembered as Ken Shamrock II.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
DERP DERP DERP

wat happen?

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Pilgrim

Worst fight evar, almost fell asleep during it...
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Roy "Big Country" Nelson owning Frank Mir.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Scared s**tless

You know it's bad when Joe Rogan says "at least it'll be over in 2 minutes".

Horrendous fight. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
You know it's bad when Joe Rogan says "at least it'll be over in 2 minutes".

Horrendous fight. Wow.
He's right. It DID look like a light sparring match. You can see guys train harder than that in any gym at any time of day across the country. Fuck both of those guys.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 11:40 PM
Scared s**tless

At least Serra/Lytle and Sherk/Dunham kicked the shit out of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Fair weather fan motherfuckers. lol.

Both of them have alot on the line and were being conservative because neither of them could afford another loss. Both were playing it safe, Mir was trying to keep from his head being removed and CroCop didn't want to be taken down. It's a fight that needed to happen, just a bad style match up. If any of you were in that ring with as much money at stake you would have done the same thing.

The Roman crowd thirsts for blood, but the fighters would like to live to fight another day. It's their lives on the line at the sake of your entertainment. Show some fucking compassion for the guys who have the balls and go out to do it.

Boring? Yes

Fighters fault? Not really.

Blame DFW and Silva for the match up, but it needed to happen at some point.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
He's right. It DID look like a light sparring match. You can see guys train harder than that in any gym at any time of day across the country. Fuck both of those guys.
You sound like those meathead guidos with a closet full of TapOut shirts at the events. Jeez. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:51 AM
T-MINUS

White needs to get some better cards stacked. The last couple have been mediocre at best.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 AM
Lifer

Like most sports', is it all about the money now?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 11:58 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
White needs to get some better cards stacked. The last couple have been mediocre at best.
There was alot of damn good fighters on that card. But to noobs not enough mainstream Wheaties box cover fighters. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
11-05-09

I thought it was a good event. I enjoyed the fights. I knew CroCop wasn't going to win, but I was very disappointed to see him get KTFO.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Lifer

Mirko Crocop should hang them up now. I loved watching him fight over the years but he seems to just not have it anymore..not to mention these guys are bigger, better and badder now!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Cro Cop hasn't been the same since Gonzaga flipped the script on him, that was the most intense knock out I've ever seen.

Mir's biggest opponent is himself and with Lesnar and Carwin at the top of the division I think he knows his likelihood of holding the title again is minimal.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90vert View Post
Cro Cop hasn't been the same since Gonzaga flipped the script on him, that was the most intense knock out I've ever seen.

Mir's biggest opponent is himself and with Lesnar and Carwin at the top of the division I think he knows his likelihood of holding the title again is minimal.
Not necessarily. It all depends on what happens between now and then with Lesnar. He's been exposed, his chin and boxing is weak. The opposition will now be looking to exploit his weaknesses. They've seen that Lesnar isn't indestructable. Had Carwin paced himself he'd be wearing 12lbs of gold right now. All it takes is one good shot on the chin and Lesnar won't hold the title which gives Mir a damn good shot at getting the title back. Mir IS capable of beating both Carwin/Lesnar, but he really needs to work his wrestling in order for that to happen.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
You sound like those meathead guidos with a closet full of TapOut shirts at the events. Jeez. lol.
Bullshit Steve. That fight was boring as fuck.

Mirko throws feints and circles to the right
Mir comes in with a combo
Mirko shakes him off
Repeat
They clench
Mir presses him to the cage
Both do nothing for 30-40 seconds, with the occasional knee
Herb separates them

FOR 15 MINUTES!

Fair weather fan? Bitch please, you know better than that. These guys are being paid to fight, and both of them have too much talent and ability to stand there and hug up against the cage without throwing anything for the whole fight.

And you're wrong Steve. I personally would never feel great about winning a fight by decision, or a match on points.

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Not necessarily. It all depends on what happens between now and then with Lesnar. He's been exposed, his chin and boxing is weak. The opposition will now be looking to exploit his weaknesses. They've seen that Lesnar isn't indestructable. Had Carwin paced himself he'd be wearing 12lbs of gold right now. All it takes is one good shot on the chin and Lesnar won't hold the title which gives Mir a damn good shot at getting the title back. Mir IS capable of beating both Carwin/Lesnar, but he really needs to work his wrestling in order for that to happen.
I disagree with you on Lesnar's chin he took some big shots from Carwin and maintained, shots that no one else has been able to take. I was rooting for Carwin and when I saw that he couldn't finish it with G-N-P I knew he was in trouble. But who knows, Mir has made a lot of money snapping guys arms off. Like you said if he can compete in the clinch and not get busted up with dirty boxing there's always the chance that he could pull a submission.

My gut tells me we'll never see Mir beat either one of them (again).
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 10:00 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Bullshit Steve. That fight was boring as fuck.

Mirko throws feints and circles to the right
Mir comes in with a combo
Mirko shakes him off
Repeat
They clench
Mir presses him to the cage
Both do nothing for 30-40 seconds, with the occasional knee
Herb separates them

FOR 15 MINUTES!

Fair weather fan? Bitch please, you know better than that. These guys are being paid to fight, and both of them have too much talent and ability to stand there and hug up against the cage without throwing anything for the whole fight.

And you're wrong Steve. I personally would never feel great about winning a fight by decision, or a match on points.
You're leaving out WHY it was that way. If you were in either of their spots you would have played it the same way when you career and so much money on the line.

Stand toe to toe with CroCop? Fuck no.

Let Mir take you down? Fuck no.

You're looking at the situation like a casual fan, rather than a fighters perspective. No fighter wants to win via points/judge's decision. It's a fighters nature to win in a dominant fashion leaving no questions. But thats not always possible and have the outcome in your favor.

Quote:
I disagree with you on Lesnar's chin he took some big shots from Carwin and maintained, shots that no one else has been able to take. I was rooting for Carwin and when I saw that he couldn't finish it with G-N-P I knew he was in trouble. But who knows, Mir has made a lot of money snapping guys arms off. Like you said if he can compete in the clinch and not get busted up with dirty boxing there's always the chance that he could pull a submission.

My gut tells me we'll never see Mir beat either one of them (again).
If you rewatch the slow motion replays you can see that Carwin only hit Lesnar just a couple of times solid with all those punches he through which gave Lesnar time to recover. Carwin has a thread on the UG where he discusses the fight and realizes he lost that fight rather than Lesnar winning it. He got excited and just started swinging rather than picking his shots and just exhausted himself.

I know alot of people doubt Mir for alot of reasons, be it personal or just no faith in his skills. But we have all learned over the years is that you can never count out a good submission guy. The last Silva/Sonnen fight is the perfect example of it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 AM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Every fight on that card went the full 3 rounds. Either the fighters are just getting so good they cant finish each other or these guys didnt want to leave it all out there.

I know I was yawning by the last 2 fights. I was hoping the Ryan Bader fight was going to end much faster. I was looking foward to that fight.

Hope to see some more knock outs & finished fights on the next card. I wonder who they have for Anderson Silva & Lesnar. I personally think Carwin has Lesnar's number if Carwin can learn to get some better cardio & not gas out. I think thats the only reason Lesnar won in their first fight

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Lifer

I like Lesner but had Carwin paced the GNP he would have won the fight. It's easy to say after the fact, had I been in shoes with the champ on the mat hurt I probably would have done the same thing and tried to finish it with a storm of shots.

Hind site is 20/2

Mir is a better fighter than CrCop right now, Mirko should retire as he is nowhere near the same fighter as he was back in the Pride days. He doesn't let his hands or legs go.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEB View Post
Every fight on that card went the full 3 rounds. Either the fighters are just getting so good they cant finish each other or these guys didnt want to leave it all out there.

I know I was yawning by the last 2 fights. I was hoping the Ryan Bader fight was going to end much faster. I was looking foward to that fight.

Hope to see some more knock outs & finished fights on the next card. I wonder who they have for Anderson Silva & Lesnar. I personally think Carwin has Lesnar's number if Carwin can learn to get some better cardio & not gas out. I think thats the only reason Lesnar won in their first fight
No, every fight did not go the distance, but thanks for playing. It's near impossible for the HW's at 265lbs or above not to gas out if they WOT for any amount of time during the fight. They are so big, it takes alot of blood/oxygen to supply these guys what they need.

Lesnar's next fight is against Cain Velasquez @ UFC 121.

Silva's next fight is against Belfort @ UFC 125.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfan View Post
I like Lesner but had Carwin paced the GNP he would have won the fight. It's easy to say after the fact, had I been in shoes with the champ on the mat hurt I probably would have done the same thing and tried to finish it with a storm of shots.

Hind site is 20/2

Mir is a better fighter than CrCop right now, Mirko should retire as he is nowhere near the same fighter as he was back in the Pride days. He doesn't let his hands or legs go.
Agreed on the first part.

I don't know that Mir is better than Mirko, but rather just a different type of fighter. While Mir's stand up is coming along quite well, his wrestling still sucks. Mirko's take down defense is 88%, his ground game is "ok" but definetly wanted no part of Mir on the ground which is why he was hesitant about letting his hands/feet go. A good ground fighter can nullify a stand up guys tools just by the threat of being taken down. Unfortunately for a striker, he is outnumbered in a fight against a ground fighter because not only is he fighting the ground fighter, but also fighting gravity which never loses a fight.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:38 AM
lol, this place sucks now

Quote:
Cro Cop hasn't been the same since Gonzaga flipped the script on him.
qft
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfan View Post

Hind site is 20/2

Everything is always 20/20 after the fact. First round of that fight. Carwin won! Now the second round he came out like he ran 3 miles.

Im glad I didnt pay for the fights this last Sat. I dont see how the Heavy Weight fighters fought 3 rounds. But it wasnt entertaining to watch.

GOD BLESS TEXAS

August Landscaping
214-779-7278
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
You're leaving out WHY it was that way. If you were in either of their spots you would have played it the same way when you career and so much money on the line.

Stand toe to toe with CroCop? Fuck no.

Let Mir take you down? Fuck no.

You're looking at the situation like a casual fan, rather than a fighters perspective. No fighter wants to win via points/judge's decision. It's a fighters nature to win in a dominant fashion leaving no questions. But thats not always possible and have the outcome in your favor.

Steve, seriously. That fight was BORING because neither guy acted like he wanted it. Go back and watch Cro-Cop when he used to win fights. He took Fedor to decision, beat Sakuraba, beat Barnett. It's not as if he's never fought a submission fighter before, and at one point in time, he was virtually impossible to keep on the mat.

Cro-Cop knows that if he doesn't throw punches and kicks, he can't win a fight. It's as simple as that. He chose not to, and thus it was a waiting game for Mir, being slightly more aggressive, and scoring more points. Mir also looked like an asshole. How about some cage control, a little dirty boxing? Nope. Just lean on him against the cage.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:10 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Steve, seriously. That fight was BORING because neither guy acted like he wanted it. Go back and watch Cro-Cop when he used to win fights. He took Fedor to decision, beat Sakuraba, beat Barnett. It's not as if he's never fought a submission fighter before, and at one point in time, he was virtually impossible to keep on the mat.

Cro-Cop knows that if he doesn't throw punches and kicks, he can't win a fight. It's as simple as that. He chose not to, and thus it was a waiting game for Mir, being slightly more aggressive, and scoring more points. Mir also looked like an asshole. How about some cage control, a little dirty boxing? Nope. Just lean on him against the cage.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement