Mike Leach to New Mexico Lobos? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Mike Leach to New Mexico Lobos?

Quote:
A former executive producer of University of New Mexico Lobo TV sports programming and long-time news producer for KRQE-TV in Albuquerque reported yesterday on his Facebook page that UNM will fire football coach Mike Locksley and hire Mike Leach as Locksley’s replacement after the Lobos play in-state rival New Mexico State on Oct. 9.

New Mexico’s football radio broadcast flagship KOB-AM reportedly then picked up the Facebook entry from Gerges Scott, who is now a crisis communications consultant. KOB-FM subsequently mentioned its sister station’s report about the Locksley’s firing on its Twitter page:

“Rumors coming from our sister station 770 KKOB that UNM Lobos football coach Mike Locksley will be fired after the game at NMSU on October 9th, and replaced with ANOTHER controversial coach!”

The ALBUQUERQUE JOURNAL reports that Scott said he was told the news by “unnamed sources.“

In just over a season as New Mexico football coach, Locksley has gone 1-14 and been suspended for a game by the school after admitting to a physical altercation with an assistant coach. During that time Locksley has also been accused of sexual harassment by a UNM employee and aggressively confronting a UNM student reporter with a profane outburst.

Locksley was hired by current New Mexico Athletic Director Paul Krebs, who late Wednesday denied to the Journal that Locksley’s job was in jeopardy. Krebs said, “He’s our coach, period.”

It’s worth noting that current UNM president David Schmidly was president of Texas Tech and involved in the hiring of Leach at that school in 2000. Leach eventually became the all-time winningest coach in Texas Tech school history in any sport before being ousted by the school over a dispute involving the son of ESPN commentator Craig James last season.

Leach, who is currently serving as a college football game analyst for CBS Sports, has a wrongful termination lawsuit against Texas Tech pending. Will that current lawsuit affect Leach’s ability to take a coaching job next month? We may soon find out.

"Storage room is that way"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I think that would be a great move for UNM and Leach. He'll turn the Loboes around and get his foot back in the coaching door. UNM is a second or third tier school but it's still D1.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I think that would be a great move for UNM and Leach. He'll turn the Loboes around and get his foot back in the coaching door. UNM is a second or third tier school but it's still D1.
Within 5 years, Leach will have an offense that can score 40 points...and a defense that will give up 50. It won't be like recruiting for Tech.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:58 PM
American Idol

Nah. Now, Colorado. I think thats a possibility.

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
but it could be like recruiting for Tech back in 2000. he has the name and the rep, he could get some recruits there eventually. not like Tech was getting the cream of the crop anyway.
I just don't know how many Texas kids would want to leave Texas to play. Leach was a great fit for Tech, but I don't know how well that would carry over to New Mexico.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I just don't know how many Texas kids would want to leave Texas to play. Leach was a great fit for Tech, but I don't know how well that would carry over to New Mexico.
Some talented kids who aren't 4 or 5 star recruits will go. Tech passed on Brian Uhrlacher so he went to UNM. The current coaching Regime is a train wreck on and off the field.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Good times

Great, now Tech can lose to them as well.

n/a
Sponsored Links
Advertisement