BJJ discussion thread. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
BJJ discussion thread.

Figured it was time we started just one thread about his to keep the conversation going.

So has anyone put any 10th Planet stuff in their game yet? I've recently been working on the Twister and Electric Chair. I've used the JailBreak for awhile now with some decent success.

I also need some long sleeve rash guards. Any suggestions which to go with? Just want something comfortable and not too tight. I'd like to be able to breathe. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Lifer

I like the twister and calf crush. But as far as never using a gi, I couldn't get completely into it.

What are favorites as far as position? I am better off my back, I have long legs and good flexabily to work high gaurd. Still working on my top game. I like side control better then full mount. Call me crazy lol!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11sec4eyes View Post
I like the twister and calf crush. But as far as never using a gi, I couldn't get completely into it.

What are favorites as far as position? I am better off my back, I have long legs and good flexabily to work high gaurd. Still working on my top game. I like side control better then full mount. Call me crazy lol!!
Nah, it's not crazy. Whatever works for you bro. I purposely work on things and positions I don't like. I don't know if it's because I'm a glutton for punishment or just crazy. lol. My transitions and escapes are pretty good, so I like to work defense putting myself in a pretty bad spot to work out of. I really need to work on my finishes from back position and throwing more triangles. I hate triangle chokes, I rarely throw them at all and really need to perfect them.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Nah, it's not crazy. Whatever works for you bro. I purposely work on things and positions I don't like. I don't know if it's because I'm a glutton for punishment or just crazy. lol. My transitions and escapes are pretty good, so I like to work defense putting myself in a pretty bad spot to work out of. I really need to work on my finishes from back position and throwing more triangles. I hate triangle chokes, I rarely throw them at all and really need to perfect them.
I am somewhat the same, I like to be in bad spots for the quick thinking. As far as triangles go, my whole thing is wrist control from the bottom. Also when my opponent is taking me down, instead of a sweep or reverse, I look for the D'arce or inverted triangle. I feel that if I concentrate more on what I am able to do better/faster in a tourney that's what I'm using.

Some people do like the punishment. If I'm in a fight I don't mind being rattled to wake me up lol.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Lifer

I'm all about the electric chair and the twister, but I normally get a tap before I can finish the twister.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
Lifer

i still don't know what the twister is. i have used the ghost as an escape before, but that's all the 10 planet stuff i know.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 11:07 AM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Figured it was time we started just one thread about his to keep the conversation going.

So has anyone put any 10th Planet stuff in their game yet? I've recently been working on the Twister and Electric Chair. I've used the JailBreak for awhile now with some decent success.

I also need some long sleeve rash guards. Any suggestions which to go with? Just want something comfortable and not too tight. I'd like to be able to breathe. lol.
I was wrestling with my grandson yesterday. Jeans and a t shirt worked fine for me. But we was in the grass.

Electric chair, Jailbreak? You sure you aint locked up? Locked up...lol. I made a funny.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996 View Post
I was wrestling with my grandson yesterday. Jeans and a t shirt worked fine for me. But we was in the grass.

Electric chair, Jailbreak? You sure you aint locked up? Locked up...lol. I made a funny.
Don't hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back.

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996 View Post

Hehe. 10th Planet BJJ is run by a somewhat famous BJJ guy named Eddie Bravo. He's best friends with Joe Rogan and both of them are big stoners. Bravo names all his techniques crazy stuff as a kind of word association thing to help people remember them. A practioner needs to highly flexible to use alot of 10th Planet techniques due to the Rubber Guard being the basis of 10th Planet BJJ. Alot of it is crazy complicated, but some of it is quite useful like the Twister and Electric Chair. Just Google video them and you will see what I mean. I'm getting pretty good at the Twister setting it up from different positions and really like using the Lockdown.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Hehe. 10th Planet BJJ is run by a somewhat famous BJJ guy named Eddie Bravo. He's best friends with Joe Rogan and both of them are big stoners. Bravo names all his techniques crazy stuff as a kind of word association thing to help people remember them. A practioner needs to highly flexible to use alot of 10th Planet techniques due to the Rubber Guard being the basis of 10th Planet BJJ. Alot of it is crazy complicated, but some of it is quite useful like the Twister and Electric Chair. Just Google video them and you will see what I mean. I'm getting pretty good at the Twister setting it up from different positions and really like using the Lockdown.
Sounds bad ass. I would love to get back in the arts, but time isn't on my side. I do more old man stuff... hunt, fish, golf. It takes a lot of time to study the arts. That is if you ever want to be any good at it. I was 6 days a week with 2 or more hours a day. Plus practice at home. I'll have to admit though, its a good life with many benefits.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Time Served

I love the lockdown, I feel comfortable on my back while I have it. Almost as much as guard! Lol. I've worked on 3 different sweeps from the lockdown so far. Electric chair is awesome, I don't always get the tap from it but almost always get the sweep. Still working on it though, I need to work on using My legs to help with the whip up. Haven't done anything with the twister yet. Most of 10th planets stuff seems overly complicated, especially their leg attacks.

Overall my weakest areas are takedowns ( which is a shame because my speed is greater than alot of HWs), and North/South position leaves me scratching my head. Just don't feel comfortable at all, bottom or top.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1- DailyDriver

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000- High RPM Nitrous build in progress...

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
I love the lockdown, I feel comfortable on my back while I have it. Almost as much as guard! Lol. I've worked on 3 different sweeps from the lockdown so far. Electric chair is awesome, I don't always get the tap from it but almost always get the sweep. Still working on it though, I need to work on using My legs to help with the whip up. Haven't done anything with the twister yet. Most of 10th planets stuff seems overly complicated, especially their leg attacks.

Overall my weakest areas are takedowns ( which is a shame because my speed is greater than alot of HWs), and North/South position leaves me scratching my head. Just don't feel comfortable at all, bottom or top.
I've got a few variations of a Darce choke and some wicked arm bars from North/South I could show you. Twister and Cruicfix is also pretty easy to do from there as well.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
What area are you in? I am pretty good in both areas you have problems with. you might be better in areas im bad at. We should roll some time.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM
Large Member

That ghost escape works pretty good. I let a guy in class pass to side control 3 or 4 times and hit that escape on him every time.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I've got a few variations of a Darce choke and some wicked arm bars from North/South I could show you. Twister and Cruicfix is also pretty easy to do from there as well.
I'm pretty familiar with the Darce choke, but havent done anything with arm bars from north/south. Would love to roll some time just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11sec4eyes View Post
What area are you in? I am pretty good in both areas you have problems with. you might be better in areas im bad at. We should roll some time.
I live in Dallas on white rock lake. Close to SMU, but I don't mind driving to roll.

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1- DailyDriver

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000- High RPM Nitrous build in progress...

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I'm pretty familiar with the Darce choke, but havent done anything with arm bars from north/south. Would love to roll some time just let me know.

I live in Dallas on white rock lake. Close to SMU, but I don't mind driving to roll.
If you don't mind driving, we have open mat on mon/thurs nights if you wanna drive out to Sachse.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Pushed to the limit

I competed today. Came away with two silver medals. I have decided that I need to lose 15 to 20lbs a get a bit more serious if I really want to be competetive. I was in the 181 to 194lbs bracket and faced some taller guys who were solid muscle at the weight. Not only that, but they had the technique to back it up. I weighed 197 and cardioed myself down to 188 and I feel that I could have made 181 or lower if I had commited to doing it. At 5'8", I feel that I should be lighter anyway. I weighed 177 when I played indoor soccer and I felt a lot more explosive back then.

My first match was a no gi supermatch (there was nobody in the old fart Masters division for me to fight) against a younger guy who weighed in right at 194.9 and has been competing and winning for a long time. This dudes arms were as big as my legs. I shot in and it felt like trying to take down a Mack truck. He ended up on top in my half guard. I tried everything I knew but he ended up flattening me out and passing to side. From there he eventually worked in a side choke. This dude was a beast. He beat his next opponent with the exact same techniques.

Then I went to my Masters Gi division and my first match there was a little better. The guy got sleeve control on me and pulled guard. I could tell that he was going to go for an armbar so I figure 4'd my arms to keep safe as he made his move. I stacked him pretty good but he was able to outfight me for the submission. I might have been able to get out of it but he rolled to his stomach to finish the submission and I couldn't justify getting injured.

My next match in the division was the 2nd place match. I was able to pull guard but I kind of froze up. I think it was fatigue. The guy was able to open my guard and he fought off a sweep attempt and crushed my legs to the ground. As he tried to pass to side, I shrimped away to make him follow me. As he moved to close the distance, I reversed him. From there, I eventually passed his guard and moved to side mount for points. He was able to get to his knees and came in for a single leg takedown but I pushed he head down to the mat and moved around and took his back but he got rid of one of my hooks before I got points. He shrimped out but I fell right back into side mount. I ended up controlling from the top until the clock ran out.

It was a long day. I got there at 10am to hear the rules and I didn't start competing until 3pm.

Buying dogs kills.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
I competed today. Came away with two silver medals. I have decided that I need to lose 15 to 20lbs a get a bit more serious if I really want to be competetive. I was in the 181 to 194lbs bracket and faced some taller guys who were solid muscle at the weight. Not only that, but they had the technique to back it up. I weighed 197 and cardioed myself down to 188 and I feel that I could have made 181 or lower if I had commited to doing it. At 5'8", I feel that I should be lighter anyway. I weighed 177 when I played indoor soccer and I felt a lot more explosive back then.

My first match was a no gi supermatch (there was nobody in the old fart Masters division for me to fight) against a younger guy who weighed in right at 194.9 and has been competing and winning for a long time. This dudes arms were as big as my legs. I shot in and it felt like trying to take down a Mack truck. He ended up on top in my half guard. I tried everything I knew but he ended up flattening me out and passing to side. From there he eventually worked in a side choke. This dude was a beast. He beat his next opponent with the exact same techniques.

Then I went to my Masters Gi division and my first match there was a little better. The guy got sleeve control on me and pulled guard. I could tell that he was going to go for an armbar so I figure 4'd my arms to keep safe as he made his move. I stacked him pretty good but he was able to outfight me for the submission. I might have been able to get out of it but he rolled to his stomach to finish the submission and I couldn't justify getting injured.

My next match in the division was the 2nd place match. I was able to pull guard but I kind of froze up. I think it was fatigue. The guy was able to open my guard and he fought off a sweep attempt and crushed my legs to the ground. As he tried to pass to side, I shrimped away to make him follow me. As he moved to close the distance, I reversed him. From there, I eventually passed his guard and moved to side mount for points. He was able to get to his knees and came in for a single leg takedown but I pushed he head down to the mat and moved around and took his back but he got rid of one of my hooks before I got points. He shrimped out but I fell right back into side mount. I ended up controlling from the top until the clock ran out.

It was a long day. I got there at 10am to hear the rules and I didn't start competing until 3pm.
congrats

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post

Congrats Robert. I'm jealous in a big way. I'm having serious withdrawls these days and can't wait to get back on the mat. Coaching white belts common sense stuff just isn't enough, but at least I'm near it while trying to heal.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Pushed to the limit

Quote:
Congrats Robert. I'm jealous in a big way. I'm having serious withdrawls these days and can't wait to get back on the mat. Coaching white belts common sense stuff just isn't enough, but at least I'm near it while trying to heal.
Just stay focused on your recovery first and you will be back in no time. Watch your diet and stay positive. When I hurt my knee in June, I was so bummed that I I actually thought about just quitting.

Buying dogs kills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement