Golf guys quick club question. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Golf guys quick club question.

I read the other persons thread about starter clubs. I;ve got a cheap set now that i paid 45 for used.

I'm looking for a better set than what i have as they are all reaaallly old besides the drivers.

Any brands to stay away from? or suggest a good lower level set. I'm not a serious player but i'm not bad for the amount of time ive played. Ive spent some time with one of the break away practice clubs and that helped my consistency alot. I've also spent alot of time as a kid playing with a old 9 iron my grandfather gave me. I had a 200 yard one hole set up on the farm.

Thanks

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

I bought a Nike Sasquatch 8 months ago and have never taken it out of the wrapper. I like blowing money!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Lifer

Go hit up a Pawn shop or used sporting good shop. Sometimes people get clubs and end up not wanting them and sell them almost new.

I have Mizunos and they are pretty good clubs for a lower end. Nike makes some decent cheap irons too. Ping?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

I'm going to buy used. My question should read what brands/models should i look for and what to stay away from. I've never got into it that much, but i know my stuff is from the early 80's. So i'm sure anything will be an improvement.

Should i look for hybrid irons? Basically im looking for the best set i can afford for the money. I'm going to try to stay under 200-250.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Man, I was out at traders village a few months ago because I like to be the only white person at places sometimes. Anyways, there was some guys selling brand new sets (I don't remember what all) but my golf buddies some where 1000 dollar sets and they were asking 200 cash. I wish I would have bought a few sets but didn't have any cash on me. Might try there.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

I always forget to say i dont live in texas anymore. Moved up north to kansas in 2005 and then to Iowa in 2006

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Lifer

Go on CL and find some Callaways in your price range. You should be able to find a set of X-18s for $200. Any of the earlier Callaway sets will work. They are great starter clubs. Stay away from blade type clubs...unless you are DonSVO. He's the only 25 handicapper I know that plays with blades. The game's hard enough as it is..no need to hamstring yourself right off the bat!
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Time Served

I started taking up the sport about 2 months ago. I bought a new set of tommy armour iron set with 3H and 4H for around $120 at Academy. Then I bought a 1 hour lesson for $90. As soon as I was somewhat comfortable hitting my irons I went back and bought a tommy armour 3W and Driver.

As soon as I learn to control the ball - i'll be back searching for a nice new set of clubs.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:03 AM
R.E.N.G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
Stay away from blade type clubs...unless you are DonSVO. He's the only 25 handicapper I know that plays with blades. The game's hard enough as it is..no need to hamstring yourself right off the bat!

^that, and to have multiple models of blades

1990 Ford Ranger - SOLD
1988 American Eagle Twin Prop - rode in
1984 Chevy Suburban - Mom's car
1989 Chevy S10 - SOLD
1985 Three Wheeler - flipped over
1996 Ford Ranger - SOLD
1985 Limo - Rode In Once
1975 BMW - Rode in a few times
2000 Ford Mustang - Totalled
1999 Ford F150 - SOLD
2007 BMW 750 'PAID' plates - passed on road
2005 Dodge Ram - Burning Gas for someone else
2008 Honda Accord - Slow as Fugg

fight sig abuse-nobody cares about your old cars
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM

+1 on the callaways - I'm still playing my 04 big berthas - they are very forgiving. You can find used at PGA Superstore and I believe Golf Galaxy as well.

Look for anything tagged as "Cavity Back" or "game improvement".

As far as the flea market clubs where the guy was selling $1000 sets for $200 - there is a very good chance that they were knock offs. Just buy a decent used set.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

I wish i had acess to a nice store. This gives me a good idea on what to look for.

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:27 PM
You never go full retard

I'm browsing eBay and here's a great set of game improvement irons for high-mid handicap golfers. These are the Ping G5 irons that came out several years back, they've worked their way to the G10 and new for this year the G15. They've always been in Golf Digests list of best game improvement irons. Here's a couple sets in your price range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ping-G5-Irons-4-...?pt=Golf_Clubs

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ping-G5-Irons-4-...?pt=Golf_Clubs

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
You never go full retard

Few sets of Big Bertha's

http://cgi.ebay.com/Callaway-Big-Ber...?pt=Golf_Clubs

http://cgi.ebay.com/callaway-big-ber...?pt=Golf_Clubs

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Painting Your House

Wouldnt hurt to check out the local golf shops for used clubs or even last years models. You can sometimes get last years models for next to half price. I payed 700 for my Cleveland's and saw them the next year for 400.

I think I was at Golf Smith a few weeks ago lookin at som fairway woods and saw a few Cobra's from 40 to 60 bucks used.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

awesome guys and thanks for the links. Is there a benifit to having graphite on the irons vs the steel? Also is it best to stick with the regular flex on the shaft vs stiff?

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd View Post
^that, and to have multiple models of blades
I'll bust your ass in iron accuracy all day long. And you know it.

On another note, I prefer musclebacks. Not blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:55 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperLS View Post
awesome guys and thanks for the links. Is there a benifit to having graphite on the irons vs the steel? Also is it best to stick with the regular flex on the shaft vs stiff?
Quote:
Some Keypoints
• Steel shafts are less expensive than graphite, so the same set of clubs will cost less with steel shafts than with graphite shafts.

• Steel shafts were once considered much more durable than graphite. That's not so much the case anymore. Quality graphite shafts will last as long as you do so long as they are not chipped, cracked, or the laminate-seal is not peeling. Steel shafts will last forever so long as they are not bent, rusted or pitted.

• Graphite shafts transmit fewer vibrations up the shaft to the golfer's hands than do steel shafts. This might be good or bad, depending on your skill level and your desire. You might want that added feedback that steel shafts offer - or you might be tired of your hands stinging so much on mis-hit shots.

The Most Important Point
The biggest and by far most important difference between steel and graphite shafts is this: graphite shafts are lighter than steel shafts. So clubs that have graphite shafts will be lighter than otherwise identical clubs that have steel shafts.

According to clubmaking and equipment guru Tom Wishon, the difference in weight between graphite shafts and steel shafts will translate, for most golfers, into an additional 2-4 mph of swing speed with graphite. And that could mean an extra 6-12 yards of distance with a graphite shaft, compared to a steel shaft.

Choosing the right shafts?

http://golf.about.com/cs/tipslessons/a/shaftflex.htm

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Lifer

Stick with steel on the irons and graphite on your woods. If you have a smooth, fluid swing, get the regular flex. If you have an aggressive and/or fast swing, get stiff flex. I recommend reading this and learning it if you are gonna get serious about golf.

http://thesandtrap.com/playing_tips/ball_flight_laws
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
+1 on the callaways - I'm still playing my 04 big berthas - they are very forgiving. You can find used at PGA Superstore and I believe Golf Galaxy as well.

Look for anything tagged as "Cavity Back" or "game improvement".

As far as the flea market clubs where the guy was selling $1000 sets for $200 - there is a very good chance that they were knock offs. Just buy a decent used set.
Actually there was a very good chance they were all stolen.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Actually there was a very good chance they were all stolen.
Posted via Mobile Device
And an even better chance that they are Chinese forgerys.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Is there any forums you guys frequent where a guy can read.

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Is there any forums you guys frequent where a guy can read.
I mostly read up on golf related stuff at

www.golfforum.com
www.golfrewind.com
www.golfwrx.com

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

This thread is awesome. I really hope it helps other new guys in the future. I found a place a little over a hour away to go check out their selection. I can also get a titlelist fitting. Being short i always feel the clubs are two long. I'm 5'7. Its not so much with the irons but the drivers. I've also never been a fan of huge headed drivers. They intimidate me for some reason.

I can play i just dont know alot about equipment/form. I've had a few old sets and one 200 buck set with graphite shafts on all the clubs in the early 2002 or so. I hated them and took them back and stopped playing again.

One thing i do like is the course 2 blocks from my house has a bag with every driver/iron they carry for you to use for a round or on the range. I'm doing this once i have the time. The course is spendy for a poor guy like myself

I think before i go buying new clubs im going to buy a practice net and get my swing down better. Play a few rounds and then try a newer set of clubs.

Thanks for all the info guys. I've learned alot so far.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I've also never been a fan of huge headed drivers. They intimidate me for some reason.
If you're just getting into golf or just getting back into golf and you're still finding your tempo and rythym for your swing then I'd actually recommend a driver with a larger head. Don't let a large head intimidate you, in theory it should be more forgiving to your swing because it has a large surface area for impact. Look into a 460cc driver, something like a Ping G5 or Cleveland HiBore driver with a high MOI.

Quote:
One big thing to look for is an oversized head with a high Moment of Inertia (MOI). The oversize heads produce a large hitting surface, while the high MOI makes the clubs extra forgiving, and both characteristics make for perfect drivers for beginners. That means that hitting the ball off-center isn’t a disaster – it’s still going to get some distance, and still be on or near the fairway. The clubheads may be shaped differently, or may have extra features like movable external weights or a bias in favor of draws or fades, but the basic principle here is to find a driver with the 460cc clubhead that’s the biggest allowed by the golf authorities and has the technology to create an expanded hitting surface that keeps the ball flying far and straight.

Nearly every company makes them, with the Callaway FT-i, Cleveland HiBore, TaylorMade Burner, Ping G5 and the Nike SasQuatch Sumo being some of the most popular. They’ll help start each hole off with a quality shot instead of landing a golfer in the rough.

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

The big head drivers only start messing with me on the back 9. Its about this time im starting to think to much about my shots. If i go up to the ball do a practice swing, step up to the ball and get my stance i do well.

i think i also might like the older small headed wood drivers for the shaft length. I always find them to be smaller and more of a fit to my size.

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
The big head drivers only start messing with me on the back 9. Its about this time im starting to think to much about my shots. If i go up to the ball do a practice swing, step up to the ball and get my stance i do well.

i think i also might like the older small headed wood drivers for the shaft length. I always find them to be smaller and more of a fit to my size.

I'd recommend taking any clubs you buy over to a golf shop to have them fit to you. You can have any shaft cut down to your height.

post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

I was planning on it. Thats why once i think ove got a decent swing im going to go up and get fitted and see what i really need. Then i will be looking for some new gear. I will have more cash to upgrade my drivers as well as my irons.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Scared s**tless

All jokes aside, I love the way my irons look/feel/sound when I hit them. My biggest issues are off the tee box and trying the Christ Shot to gain a stroke.

Who wouldn't like these???!?!?

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

ill post some pics of the junk i've got. Its all older cheap gear, but its what ive got for now.

I did find out that my local course that a couple blocks from me has this for its merit. Also they do have a pga instructor on hand. I'm going to get ahold of him soon and find out his rates.

Landsmeer golf club Orange city Iowa.
IOWA'S 2008 18 HOLE COURSE OF THE YEAR - Iowa Golf Association

2009 BEST MUNICIPAL COURSE TO PLAY IN IOWA - Golf Digest

Sioux country club. Alton iowa.
The course thats 5 miles down the road is Iowa's oldest 9 hole. Its been the best of Iowa a few times.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Scared s**tless

Quote:
ill post some pics of the junk i've got. Its all older cheap gear, but its what ive got for now.
Don't ever let someone talk down about your gear. Ever. I purposely started with shit clubs until I felt like I had a reason to get better stuff. Granted, now I have gone to the "weasel the coolest shit I can get my hands on for cheap" route... but I gamed a set of over size Tommy Armour Silver Scots for 6 months ($175 irons, brand new).

My turning point was when some nice friends of mine showed me how to produce lag... the TAs had whippy graphite shafts that I instantly overpowered. By over powered, I remember hitting a 147yd par 3 with a 7 iron in November (on vacation in Cali) and being pin high... Nowadays that's a mean 9 iron of a choked-down faded 8. Once that light bulb was turned on... I've used hard stepped/spined Project X 5.5s for a while, I seriously doubt I'll change any time soon. I don't see my driver swing exceeding 108mph and I can load that shaft every shot.

My buddy John uses a set of 20 year old Pings that he obliterates on every shot. Get what works.

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Do you guys think the x-18's are better than the x-16's? Ive been finding sets of the x-16's in the low 100's, 18's are in the 200-300. the x22's ive even found for 300.

The x-16 is a nice price point for me. They should hold that value for at least till i figure out what i want in a set.

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 08:12 PM
You never go full retard

Yeah they'll be a great starter set, they're just several years older than the 18's, 20's, and 22's. All in all they should suffice for your first year or two playing golf if you play consistently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement