Dez Bryant: Attitude good or bad? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Dez Bryant: Attitude good or bad?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/D...ry-pads-072510

SAN ANTONIO (AP)
Dallas Cowboys rookie receiver Dez Bryant said he is in training camp to catch passes, not carry somebody else's shoulder pads after practice.

When receiver Roy Williams handed his pads to Bryant on Sunday after the team's first camp session in pads, the rookie who was the Cowboy's first-round draft pick last April didn't carry them. Veteran players traditionally hand their pads to a rookie after practice.

"I feel like I was drafted to play football, not carry another player's pads,'' Bryant said. ''If I was a free agent, it would still be the same thing.''

Williams said every rookie has go to through such rituals during their first season. He said he carried pads and paid for meals when he was a rookie for the Detroit Lions in 2004.

''No matter if you're a No. 1 pick or the 7,000th pick, you've still got to do something when you're a rookie,'' Williams said.

When Bill Parcells was still with the Cowboys, the team's top pick was responsible for taking water to the coach during breaks at training camp. Current coach Wade Phillips doesn't have such a requirement.

While there are some who believe Bryant could challenge Williams for the starting job opposite Pro Bowl receiver Miles Austin, there have been no apparent issues between the receivers.

After camp opened Saturday with a practice without pads, Williams called Bryant a great player and said he was glad Dallas drafted him.

''Controversy is what everybody loves, try to pin him against me, me against him, and it's not going to work,'' Williams said Saturday.

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Time Served

I think Roy is SUPER PISSED because the media is hyping Dez up so much, and it's very apparent who is the better receiver. I like Dez's attitude. I think he will fit in well.

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:21 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

The beginning of the end is coming sooner than usual in Cowboys land. I love it!

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:22 AM
Lifer

Good, make Roy an example of veterans that don't hold their weight. Now, lets see what he will do if someone, like say, DeMarcus Ware asks him to do it. He better damn well do it.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

I think Roy is trying to show who the top dog is. Which is funny, considering he's not a top dog on this team and never will be. I don't have a problem with it at all. Sure, all rookies are subject to hazing. Had it been anyone else, my opinion might be different. But given that it's Williams' pads, I don't give a shit.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
The beginning of the end is coming sooner than usual in Cowboys land. I love it!
Ben rape anyone this weekend? Just wondering.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Or has Santonio been accused of anything else recently?
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Not sure. How's your mouth feeling?

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:38 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Or has Santonio been accused of anything else recently?
Ask the Jets about that one.

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Ask the Jets about that one.
Ohhh you mean he was such a head case, they had to ship him to NY. I forgot.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:52 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

This type of stupid shit making headline news is hilarious. Who really gives a fuck.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
Lifer

I wouldn't carry none of the WR's pads.....Miles doesn't have enough skins on the wall yet. And Roy well he just sucks so carry your own damn pads.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Lifer

He is right, he was hired to play football, but I don't like his attitude. That's just me though, I like the humble guy that gets tackled, throws the ball to the ref and runs back to the huddle.

Also, it kind of gives me the impression that he takes himself too seriously. Im not saying he should be eating out of Roys hand (he has not been a superstar for us by any means), but he is a veteran player. The older guys always haze the younger guys, why is Bryant such a kill-joy?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Is it cold in here?

Just another player to cause distractions for the team!!
He's another T.O.

[email protected] on some 275 60's!
http://media.putfile.com/Neely-tulsa-final-round001
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:35 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
He is right, he was hired to play football, but I don't like his attitude. That's just me though, I like the humble guy that gets tackled, throws the ball to the ref and runs back to the huddle.

Also, it kind of gives me the impression that he takes himself too seriously. I’m not saying he should be eating out of Roy’s hand (he has not been a superstar for us by any means), but he is a veteran player. The older guys always haze the younger guys, why is Bryant such a kill-joy?
I would like this kind of story coming out of the Steelers training camp (minus the whole veteran receiver throwing a fit thing), in all honesty. Shows me he's about business and that's it.

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:11 AM
dead

i like it. helps fuel the fire under roys ass. if he doesnt show improvement in preseason, i dont think he makes it as a starter.

either way it makes him play better or warm the bench, both of which benefit the team.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
gear jammer

If i was Bryant, I would have made Roy Williams carry my pads

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 AM

If the third string, practice squad punter is in his second year and tells dez to carry his pads - dez should carry his pads.

It's about showing your teammates that you do not think you are more important than the team. Obviously, Dez doesn't feel that way.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I would like this kind of story coming out of the Steelers training camp (minus the whole veteran receiver throwing a fit thing), in all honesty. Shows me he's about business and that's it.
That is good, but for a football team to succeed they need more than good players, they need to become a team.

I'm not saying he's going to tear apart the locker room because he didn't carry choke-mcgee's pads, but he needs to realize that he is one part of a successful group, not a one man team. We have all see what that attitude can do to this team.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post

It's about showing your teammates that you do not think you are more important than the team. Obviously, Dez doesn't feel that way.
That is fucking ignorant. Even the non Cowboy fans will agree.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
As someone texted in to the ticket, Dez actually asked Roy to carry his pads, but he was worried Williams would drop them.
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:32 AM
Oooooooh-whee

Quote:
As someone texted in to the ticket, Dez actually asked Roy to carry his pads, but he was worried Williams would drop them.
I laughed.

8/16/05
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Lifer

Dez better hope he can play...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
CEO of......

He'll be tapped to the field goal post by the end of the week
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:24 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
That is fucking ignorant. Even the non Cowboy fans will agree.

I don't, i think Dez should do what ANY veteran TEAMATE asks him to do. He's a ROOKIE, that's what rookies do
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:02 PM
What Can Brown Do For You

Well the way I see it is that Dez will haze a new rookie when his time comes. There is nothing worse than being a hypocrite!
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Lifer

Before he carries Roy's pads, Roy needs to catch the damn ball. Heck Ive seen highlights from this trainning camp where he has already dropped passes

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
This. If he was a good player, I could see him talking shit. He himself hasn't proved shit except that he isnt anywhere near worth his net pay. He needs to STFU and worry about not dropping the ball instead of worrying about high school BS games. Bryant is focused and so should he.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:00 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by regaltip View Post
Well the way I see it is that Dez will haze a new rookie when his time comes. There is nothing worse than being a hypocrite!
That's Jerry's boy!
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
I don't, i think Dez should do what ANY veteran TEAMATE asks him to do. He's a ROOKIE, that's what rookies do
Lets be real guys. Roy won't even be a starter by the time camp is over. Big contract or not, Williams is the joke of the NFL right now. If you were a rookie LB, and Barbie Carpenter asked you to do the same, you'd tell him to fuck off. You can't sit there and judge, knowing you'd do the same. What if Kitna told Romo to lace his shoes. It's the same thing. Roy is trying to get his licks in now while he can.

I don't have a problem with Dez focusing on playing, and bypassing the games. And furthermore, I have no problem with some healthy competition among receivers. I stand by my original statement. If this was someone else that told him to carry the pads, my view might be different. But when you don't command respect, you don't command respect and that's all there is to it in my opinion.
post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:32 AM
Fear the Stashe

pretty sure if Witten or Romo asked him to do it he would have.

But did Roy want Dez to carry his pads cause he keeps dropping them?
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:32 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Lets be real guys. Roy won't even be a starter by the time camp is over. Big contract or not, Williams is the joke of the NFL right now. If you were a rookie LB, and Barbie Carpenter asked you to do the same, you'd tell him to fuck off. You can't sit there and judge, knowing you'd do the same. What if Kitna told Romo to lace his shoes. It's the same thing. Roy is trying to get his licks in now while he can.

I don't have a problem with Dez focusing on playing, and bypassing the games. And furthermore, I have no problem with some healthy competition among receivers. I stand by my original statement. If this was someone else that told him to carry the pads, my view might be different. But when you don't command respect, you don't command respect and that's all there is to it in my opinion.

Romo is not a rookie this year, Byrant is. I'm sure whatever QB told Tony to do something, he did his rookie year. There is always one that thinks they are better or too good to do that stuff. They usually learn the hard way
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
pretty sure if Witten or Romo asked him to do it he would have.

But did Roy want Dez to carry his pads cause he keeps dropping them?
hahaha thats funny.

I'm of the opinion that a rookie has to do his time and thats part of the ritual.

When Dez is a veteran is he going to get a rookie to carry his? probably so.

Also Williams has enough numbers, albeit in Detroit, over his career to warrant just a little respect.

however nothing would be better than to carry Williams pads....take his starting job then stop carrying his pads.

Murph

1992 Taurus Half-Breed
whining alternator pulley

Domestic with an Import heart.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 PM
Lifer

Since Dez hasn't even so much as taken a dump in an NFL locker room, he should pay his pennance as a rookie. Yes...even to the lowly Roy Williams. After all, he has accomplished a lot more than Dez, right?

post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:37 PM
T-MINUS

Hope he can catch in the NFL so he doesn't look like such an ass.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 12:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
He's going to shit the first time a linebacker catches him from behind and tries to decapitate his ass.

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Granted it's training camp, but the Ticket guys and local sports guys are already saying he's made unbelievable plays at training camp. They've also said the same about Lee.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
Fear the Stashe

everything i've read and heard on the radio said Dez is putting in work and is killing it.

But anyways, Roy Williams said today there the Cowboys for a reason and thats why the media is blowing this up. He even said his 4 year old son wouldnt carry his pads either.. LOL

Roy said they are cool and there gonna just make him pay for every ones dinner, sing, etc etc... typical haze.

Its sad when the 1st place Rangers in there division get no media love, but a stupid story breaks out like this and Dez is considered the next T.O.
post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
everything i've read and heard on the radio said Dez is putting in work and is killing it.

But anyways, Roy Williams said today there the Cowboys for a reason and thats why the media is blowing this up. He even said his 4 year old son wouldnt carry his pads either.. LOL

Roy said they are cool and there gonna just make him pay for every ones dinner, sing, etc etc... typical haze.

Its sad when the 1st place Rangers in there division get no media love, but a stupid story breaks out like this and Dez is considered the next T.O.

Meh, the Rangers had a day off. And there are stories out there about them picking up another 1st baseman.

I hope he is playing well out there. If we can get two solid outsider recievers and a dynamic slot receiver, we are in business. Of course, they already score a crap load of points.
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Meanwhile, Roy Williams still can't catch and is dropping damn near everything thrown his way. Jerry needs to suck it up and cut his ass, like now. Ogletree is already a better receiver than Williams. He hasn't dropped a pass yet. That's nothing new though, he was better than Williams last year, too.
post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Fear the Stashe

I've heard Roy has been doing pretty well though.. but he did that last year also in TC.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Meanwhile, Roy Williams still can't catch and is dropping damn near everything thrown his way. Jerry needs to suck it up and cut his ass, like now. Ogletree is already a better receiver than Williams. He hasn't dropped a pass yet. That's nothing new though, he was better than Williams last year, too.

What are you, in San Antonio watching training camp?
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:31 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
No, the Ticket is airing from there this week.
post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 03:33 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
No, the Ticket is airing from there this week.
Ah, thought maybe you were there
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
If the third string, practice squad punter is in his second year and tells dez to carry his pads - dez should carry his pads.

lolwut. Have you played sports? This is all about rookie hazing.

Anyway, this is stupid and Roy should not have said anything to the media about it. He's a fucking idiot and it's part of the reason he's do disliked here in Dallas.

FWIW I like the intensity Dez has about it. Listen to his tone of voice in this video when the media questions the incident: http://www.nfl.com/videos/dallas-cow...olb-face-media
post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
ESPNDallas, DMN, and The Ticket are all blogging/calling what's going on in training camp. You can basically read the play-by-play every single day.
post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:04 PM
On a downward spiral

Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
According to Wade this was not a haze. Its pretty convienent that on the day before the incident Dez was asked by the media if he had been hazed. He replied that he hadn't. Low and behold Roy "I can't catch a ball" tells him to carry his pads the next day. Roy is not liking the media attention that Dez is getting and the inevitabilty of loosing his starting position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Time Served

I like his attitude really. It shows that he is focused on football, not impressing anyone. Coming from Roy Williams who is a veteran fuckup on the roster, not so much. If a team leader asked it, Romo, Witten, Ware, Brooking, etc, then it might be different. Roy doesn't deserve any respect since he hasn't done a damn thing except be a complete waste of draft picks.

98 GT.
5 Speed
3.73's
Full Exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
18" Chrome Cobra R's
PI swap.
post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Fear the Stashe

Roy was telling Dez this is the Dallas Cowboys... or "controversial cowboys" and the media will make a story into anything.

They are cool and Roy said he's gonna be extra hungry when Dez pays for his dinner..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement