UTSA Track Standout Teddy Williams Thinking Football.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

UTSA Track Standout Teddy Williams Thinking Football....

Teddy Williams Gives Football A Try
By HAROLD WILSON
Staff Writer

Teddy Williams, who established himself as an elite sprinter nationally and internationally the last four years at the University of Texas at San Antonio, decided to run with another opportunity just this week — on the gridiron.

Williams, a four-time NCAA track and field All-American, plans to play football next season. Just where, and on what level — collegiately or professionally — remains unknown.

“It was something we were talking about toward the end of the track season,” Williams told the Tyler Paper on Wednesday from San Antonio. “It slowly started to build up more and more as time went on and opportunities started presenting themselves.

“It's looking good now so I'm rolling. I've been training to where I could transition (to Europe to run track) or play football. One day I woke up and coaches started offering me (the chance to play for their teams) and I said I'd give it a try.”

By NCAA rules, the nine-time Southland Conference track champion holds the option of playing another sport one more year at a Division I school or two more at a Division II program. He scheduled an official visit with Baylor today, and lined up a try out for the Dallas Cowboys Monday.

Dallas reportedly likes Williams as a return man on special teams, and on the practice squad as he tries to work out the kinks of a five-year layoff.

Perhaps not on the level of Miami Heat forward LeBron James' recent free-agent decision regarding his NBA future, but still the future options — on two levels and the prospect of turning pro in two different sports — weighed on the mind of Williams and followers from east to central Texas.

He hinted at leaning toward taking the Division I route this year. UTSA recently added football over the last year, but won't turn full-fledge for another two years, making the likes of Baylor a viable candidate.

“It's half and half. I really would rather play a year of college ball and put up nice stats and go in the (NFL) draft,” said the 22-year old Williams, who has been revving up his workouts the past month on the football field in the River City. “It just depends on how it plays out. If the Cowboys want me and work with me, then that's a great opportunity.”

The sky seemed the limit on the track for Williams, who just two years ago beat eventual Olympic silver-medalist Richard Thompson in the 100-meter dash. He captured the award as Southland Conference Outstanding Track Performer three consecutive years and spent two-months with the world's fastest 100 in 2009, a wind-aided mark of 9.90 seconds. He entered nationals with the country's fastest-time (10.03) by a collegiate and ended the year with the second-best sprint.

Just last month, Williams finished ninth in the 100 at the NCAA outdoor championships and 11th at the USA track and field championships weeks later.

An opportunity to go pro on the track, likely overseas in Europe, awaited Williams. But the fragile nature of sprints spurred him to revert to his first love. Williams starred in football back at John Tyler before a shoulder injury as a junior, followed by an ankle injury his senior season, derailed a promising future — at least at the time.

“The sport of track and field in general is tough and only a few individuals can compete in that sport a (certain) amount of years,” said Williams, who advanced to the quarterfinal round of the US Olympic Track and Field trials while still a teenager. “I never finished my full potential in football. After high school I've developed way more size and gotten bigger. My skills never diminished and I still have a love for it.”

“When I stepped on the field for first time and laced up the cleats, I felt at home. I said I wanted to give it another try.”

The speed of Williams naturally attracted scouts, much the way it did with former Cowboys split end “Bullet” Bob Hayes, ex-Chicago Bears receiver Willie Gault, and even reigning 100 and 200 world-record holder Usain Bolt.

Williams recently clocked a head-turning 4.31 in the 40-yard dash, putting him in elite company already. By comparison Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, widely considered the league's fastest man after his 2,000-yard season last year, recorded a 4.24 at the pre-draft combine.

“The sport of football has developed into a speed sport,” added Williams, who said a future in track remains a viable option. “If you have that speed, people are willing to see if you can put those skills with it.”

His 6-3, 198-pound stature strengthens' Williams case of being more than a passing fancy at wideout. Even in the weight room at college, Williams separated himself from the sprinters, working out with the throwers.

“My football mentality never left,” he said. “It's a blessing, being able to not have played a physical game in four years and to have an opportunity to put on the jersey. I'm excited, ready to strap up and go to work.”

And if football fails, expect Williams to jump right back on track so to speak.
“Track is never going to leave,” said Williams, the UTSA record-holder in the 55, 60, 100 and 200. “I'm going to take this ride as far as I can. If it doesn't fulfill (itself), I'll bounce back in track.”

This is the son of one of my regular customers. If he takes the 'Boys offer and goes pro this year, I might have to become a fan again. But I'd love to see him at Baylor, too...and see what he does in the draft.

You WILL have: Long Blonde Hair, Big Green Eyes, World Class Breasts, A Butt That Won't Quit, and Legs..that go ALL THE WAY UP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:30 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Pffft, a sprinter trying to play football? It'll never work out. Bullet Bob what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 10:02 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Pffft, a sprinter trying to play football? It'll never work out. Bullet Bob what?
Bullet Bob was the exception, not the rule. Doesn't matter how fast you are if you can't catch or cut.

“…what a disgrace it would be for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” - Socrates

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 AM
Fear the Stashe

Randal Williams 2.0

Besides Hayes, yeah not gonna work.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Lifer

I wonder how his workout went with the Cowboys yesterday.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:31 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Donald Driver (Packers) was a world class high jumper in college and could have qualified for the olympics. He also played football in college, though.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Lifer

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Looks like the 'Boys signed him at a CB......don't know all the details....

You WILL have: Long Blonde Hair, Big Green Eyes, World Class Breasts, A Butt That Won't Quit, and Legs..that go ALL THE WAY UP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement