Dallas and Cleaveland... A tale of two cities - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Dallas and Cleaveland... A tale of two cities

I was thinking about this after Lebron made his announcement, of how both cities were similar in some ways with there basketball franchises. Both have/had a superstar that transformed the franchise from a mediocre team to one that is respectable and made it to the NBA Finals. Both have never won a championship and lost in there only appearance. Both have/had an NBA MVP in that superstar. Both have/had a superstar have a decision this off season to stay with there team or move on with a chance to win a title elsewhere.

We are fortunate Dirk stayed. We could have easily been Cleavland next season looking at the prospect of rebuilding again. Thank you Dirk for being loyal to your fans here in DFW. Discuss.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Time Served

Agreed! I think dirk did a great thing taking less money also in order to free up a little cap room... But it seems like they're not doing anything with it???

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1- DailyDriver

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000- High RPM Nitrous build in progress...

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

It's still early and I think a lot of deals will start to get moving now that "The Decision" is out of the way.

Man there are some angry people in Cleavland right now

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Lifer

Well said!

Working on my project Stang
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Lifer

PS dirk left 18 million on the table to free up room. They resigned Haywood and I think damp will get cut. We need a sharp shooter and a defensive anchor...

Working on my project Stang
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
The Stock Vert Club

Did you see the statement from the Cleaveland owner?!? Holy Crap! Talk about one angry rich guy!

While I am glad that Dirk is here to stay... I almost wouldn't mind rebuilding. Can you see a way that Miami doesn't dominate for the next four or five years?? I think the Mavs have a lot of work to do to be able to compete in the West... I guess getting to the Finals and then getting swept by Miami could still be seen as a sucessful season right?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
The Stock Vert Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
PS dirk left 18 million on the table to free up room. They resigned Haywood and I think damp will get cut. We need a sharp shooter and a defensive anchor...
Damp is going to be a part of a sign and trade to bring some talent here... That being said, the big names appear to be locked up so hopefully Donnie can find a diamond in the rough. Maybe some of the other Eastern Conference teams will go ahead and throw in the towel and want to dump some salary...
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Keep jocking

I'm glad he stayed but I wouldn't be mad if he left to win a championship. The mavs can't get past the lakers.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Time Served

Sign and Trade with New Orleans....

New Orleans gets - J.J. Barea, Erick Dampier, DeShawn Stevenson, (all are expiring contracts) + future draft pick.

Dallas gets - Chris Paul

And Dallas needs to start campaigning for Carmelo Anthony free agent next summer

Future starting 5 which could easily compete with the now powerful Miami Heat
C- Brendan Haywood
PF- Dirk Nowitzki
SF- Carmelo Anthony
SG- Caron Butler (only if he isn't used for a sign and trade and only if the Mavs re-sign him)
PG- Chris Paul
Kidd can play less minutes during the season to be more fresh during playoffs
and the Mavs would still have Roddy and JET coming off the bench.

Some rumors are that the Mavs are interested in getting Chris Paul, and Al Jefferson? Dont know what Cuban will do but he will do something!

1991 5.0 - Heads, Cam, Intake, Nitrous, Exhaust.

2004 Cobra - 750 rwhp

FOR SALE!! - Kenne Bell 2.2L with Accufab Throttle Body and BBK Hi-Boost Intake.

:http://www.youtube.com/user/2k4terminator

Last edited by 2K*Terminator*04; 07-08-2010 at 11:42 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLoWkaTZ View Post
If it was only that easy.
Gotta have some faith..... Damn! what's the point of watching the NBA for the next 6 years Miami will win all 6... Cuban will do something. But we will see.

1991 5.0 - Heads, Cam, Intake, Nitrous, Exhaust.

2004 Cobra - 750 rwhp

FOR SALE!! - Kenne Bell 2.2L with Accufab Throttle Body and BBK Hi-Boost Intake.

:http://www.youtube.com/user/2k4terminator
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoLLoWkaTZ View Post
If it was only that easy.
i like the deal, it would give a chance for New Orleans to sign Carmelo next year, and they have a good point guard in collison who played pretty good as a rookie

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:25 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

It was funny hearing LeBron say how loyal he is when I was watching the local news last night. Players like Dirk are the true loyal and unselfish players in this league. Guys like that are who make it possible for their teams to be able to afford more talent to better the team. Dirk knows he needs help in order to win a Championship here. He also knows that Dallas already has many of the tools in takes to get there, but it still needs to be tweaked, hence helping out with cap room.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
I'm glad he stayed but I wouldn't be mad if he left to win a championship. The mavs can't get past the Spurs .
Fixed! And I don't think miami will dominate anything but themselves. 3 Stars don't make a team. They can only afford grade "D" players now. I just don't think miami will get it done. Lakers will still own them.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Fixed! And I don't think miami will dominate anything but themselves. 3 Stars don't make a team. They can only afford grade "D" players now. I just don't think miami will get it done. Lakers will still own them.
thats what alot of people said when the Celtics got Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett, that it wouldnt work

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:48 AM
LUCIFER

I would love to have Chris Paul in Dallas

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Lifer

As a city Dallas has more class than Cleveland. I dont see any Stars fans burning Mike Modano jerseys in the streets. I didnt hear many boos for Devin Harris, Pudge, or Emmitt Smith. A-Rod is the exception cause he deserved to be booed. Cleveland has no respect what so ever. The Cavs were nothing but the laughing stock of the leauge before Lebron came. Once Lebron came, they changed their jersey design, added more jersey alternates, built a brand new stadium for the Cavaliers, and had many sellout games during those 7 years.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
tha cookie

cleveland got what they deserved. they had a terrible coach. what give the ball to lebron and let him create. that is not an offense. To win a title you need more than one superstar. look at jordan and pippen. Look at kobe and shaq. I know he had shaq this past season but look how cleveland would run up and down the floor. Shaq is not good for that. Need a half court style. And the owner saying they will get a title before them. good luck. ohio is a death trap for sports. good for him to leave

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 01:38 PM
dead

good post jose.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
As a city Dallas has more class than Cleveland. .
Yes.

Quote:
I dont see any Stars fans burning Mike Modano jerseys in the streets. I didnt hear many boos for Devin Harris, Pudge, or Emmitt Smith.
None of these guys were home grown, 25 year old, reigining back to back MVPs that voluntarily left their home town team for less money in their prime either. Also, none of them scheduled a one hour televised live dick in the ass for the fans of their former teams that they "did so much for".

Quote:
Cleveland has no respect what so ever.
Not true. The sports guys that stayed loyal to the city are revered far beyond their accomplishments. The Bernie Kosars and Zydrunas Ilgauskus types are loved big time.

Quote:
The Cavs were nothing but the laughing stock of the leauge before Lebron came. Once Lebron came, they changed their jersey design, added more jersey alternates, built a brand new stadium for the Cavaliers, and had many sellout games during those 7 years.
Yes, they were the laughing stock, yes Lebron turned them into a contender, and yes, Dan Gilbert spent a ton of cash revamping the arena (not built - that started in 92, opened in 94) and authorized the 3rd highest payroll in the league - and would have spent much more if they could have worked more sign and trades. Dan Gilbert tried to give LBJ and his crew anything and everything his little heart desired. He can't be accused of not trying, even though his efforts proved to be not quite enough.

Unfortunately, this is a big hit both economically and emotionally to an already dying city. The cavs are going back to the gutter, and it will take some very crafty management and a healthy dose of good luck to make them relevant again.

The real reason everybody in CLE is so upset is they feel lebron quit on them in the playoffs, made up his mind to leave a while ago and didn't even have the courtesy to give them a heads up. I don't understand why any adult would get so upset that they would cry or light a jersey on fire, but I do understand them being upset.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
To be honest, he doesn't owe anything to the team or that city. He is not a slave to the city. It's not his fault that area is dying. He is just a victim of circumstance in that particular issue.

Now, as far as how he handled the situation, that is a whole other issue. He should have told them months ago he was done, and left right then and there.

Question, since you are from cleveland, when was the last time that town had a championship? 1960's with the browns?
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
To be honest, he doesn't owe anything to the team or that city. He is not a slave to the city. It's not his fault that area is dying. He is just a victim of circumstance in that particular issue.

Now, as far as how he handled the situation, that is a whole other issue. He should have told them months ago he was done, and left right then and there.

Question, since you are from cleveland, when was the last time that town had a championship? 1960's with the browns?
I totally understand why he left. The opportunity to play with 2 of the top 5 or so players in the league is something that he can't get anywhere else. He should have told cleveland so they could have been more active in the draft and FA. Now they are totally screwed.

Yeah - CLE hasn't won anything since the browns in 64. A hole bunch of heartbreak since then - Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the two world series losses, modell moving the browns, larry dolan sewing his wallet shut and killing the tribe. It's been a long exercise in futility, but there is nothing else to do up there anymore, so they live and die w/ the sports teams. I am really glad I was not up there last night.
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid View Post
I totally understand why he left. The opportunity to play with 2 of the top 5 or so players in the league is something that he can't get anywhere else. He should have told cleveland so they could have been more active in the draft and FA. Now they are totally screwed.

Yeah - CLE hasn't won anything since the browns in 64. A hole bunch of heartbreak since then - Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the two world series losses, modell moving the browns, larry dolan sewing his wallet shut and killing the tribe. It's been a long exercise in futility, but there is nothing else to do up there anymore, so they live and die w/ the sports teams. I am really glad I was not up there last night.
Hey, but at least you won a penant on Major League. That counts for something.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 PM
LS1 Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreos_stang3 View Post
ohio is a death trap for sports. good for him to leave
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandkid
A hole bunch of heartbreak since then - Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Shot, the two world series losses, modell moving the browns, larry dolan sewing his wallet shut and killing the tribe.
Funny you said that, i just read it in this blog. Good writer i might add too.

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010...bron-decision/

http://joeposnanski.com/JoeBlog/2010...econd-bananas/

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Cuban was interviewed briefly this afternoon while watching the Mavs Summer League team playing in Las Vegas. I'm inclined to agree. What do you guys think?

Quote:
Cuban also stressed that the way Dwyane Wade, James and Chris Bosh formed together to all go to Miami smells of tampering.
Been a lot of talk about it on ESPN Radio to. I was listening to the player introduction tonight in Miami and Bosch even hinted at it. I wonder if I can find a transcript or video of it somewhere?

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:31 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

He's probably just still miffed about his fine for mentioning LB.
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:15 PM
tha cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Cuban was interviewed briefly this afternoon while watching the Mavs Summer League team playing in Las Vegas. I'm inclined to agree. What do you guys think?

Been a lot of talk about it on ESPN Radio to. I was listening to the player introduction tonight in Miami and Bosch even hinted at it. I wonder if I can find a transcript or video of it somewhere?
it may have happen but who cares. it cant be proven. and why wouldnt u want to play with some of the top players if u could. all great players like jordan and kobe had a supporting cast

1999 Ford Mustang- Back in Black: under construction

2004 Honda Element- not so much racing goodies the daily driver
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

I don't think the NBA wants to get into a pissing match about collusion. The owners do a lot more of that than players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement