Le Tour 2010 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Le Tour 2010

Anyone following the TdF?

Spartacus killed the TT yesterday, 3 crashes in the final 3k today... Two days in and it's already awesome.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 08:33 AM
That's what she said!

This is my favorite 3 weeks of the year! I can't believe the crashes though. Cavendish, Farrar, and Freire all crashed in stage 1! WOW!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Yet another crazy day. Chavanel's 183km solo breakaway that led to a 2:57 win margin, more crashes, protest / no sprint finish...

And they're on to the cobblestones tomorrow

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Armstrong warned everyone about the tight roads, tight crowds, and tight turns. He said there would be a lot of crashes, and he's right. If there's rain on the cobblestone's, look out! Anyone think Lance has a shot at #8? I'm surprised some crazy Frenchman hasn't taken him out already. He's already made a shambles of the "french" history of the Tour.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:42 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

it has been action packed. Enjoying the tour so far.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Armstrong warned everyone about the tight roads, tight crowds, and tight turns. He said there would be a lot of crashes, and he's right. If there's rain on the cobblestone's, look out! Anyone think Lance has a shot at #8? I'm surprised some crazy Frenchman hasn't taken him out already. He's already made a shambles of the "french" history of the Tour.
#8... who knows. At this rate it's anyone's race.

Shall we start another thread for the Floyd Landis stuff? LOL

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
#8... who knows. At this rate it's anyone's race.

Shall we start another thread for the Floyd Landis stuff? LOL
Landis is an idiot...He spent too much time in Lance's shadow.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Landis is an idiot...He spent too much time in Lance's shadow.
People also said Canseco was bitter, had no credibility, was crazy, etc...
Just sayin'.
That really is for another thread though. Those debates are endless and always end up in the shitter.

I'm pretty disappointed that there's no team time trial in the Tour this year

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
People also said Canseco was bitter, had no credibility, was crazy, etc...
Just sayin'.
That really is for another thread though. Those debates are endless and always end up in the shitter.

I'm pretty disappointed that there's no team time trial in the Tour this year
Ditto on the TTT. Lance could be dirty, but remember: no one has been tested and doubted more than he has. If he's doing it, he's damn good at it. I don't remember folks doubting Miguel Indurain after his 5 in a row.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

As expected the cobblestones wrecked shop.

Frank Schleck broke his collar bone in three places and went into surgery today.

Chavanel had one crash, two flats and a bike change... gave up that 2:57 lead all in one day.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat

Last edited by Strychnine; 07-06-2010 at 10:36 PM.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Lifer

More bad roads to come, then the Pyrenee's...

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:11 PM
That's what she said!

How about the Manx Missle, that's 2 stage wins in a row. It's safe to say that Cav is back.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Ted
Opulance. I has it.

So can you guys just sit and watch this for hours on end? I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just wondering. My a.d.d. barely let's me sit and watch baseball, I just couldn't imagine I could sit and watch people biking even for the accidents. Fwiw, I love playing golf but can't take to torture of watching it on tv.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
So can you guys just sit and watch this for hours on end? I'm not trying to criticize anyone, just wondering. My a.d.d. barely let's me sit and watch baseball, I just couldn't imagine I could sit and watch people biking even for the accidents. Fwiw, I love playing golf but can't take to torture of watching it on tv.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll generally leave it on in the background if I'm working from home or on the weekend (like today). At work I'll leave up a race tracker that posts updates every minute or so. Unless it's something like a team time trial, then I'm usually glued to it.

I'm like that with all sports though. Baseball is by far my favorite, but even if I'm sitting on the couch to watch a whole game I always have something else I'm doing at the same time (reading, working, etc)

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I watch a lot of the mountainous stages, because so much of the strategy comes into play. Little extra's happen in the hills.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Chavanel killed it again today. He gave up the yellow on the stones and got it back today on the climbs.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2010, 05:04 PM
You never go full retard

Been catching everything on my DVR to watch when I get home at night.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:42 PM
You never go full retard

Today is definitely not Lance's day...

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:44 PM
Lifer

I heard he's pretty much relented. Three crashes? Damn...

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
I heard he's pretty much relented. Three crashes? Damn...
He's 11:45 back right now.

And yeah, those crashes did not look comfortable at all. Bloody elbow, bloody knee, torn jersey...

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 02:08 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
He's 11:45 back right now.

And yeah, those crashes did not look comfortable at all. Bloody elbow, bloody knee, torn jersey...
The 3rd one wasn't that bad, more of him just stepping off the bike and getting out of the way but the first two didn't look good.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

In to the Alps Tuesday. Here's some humor to hold you over

Quote:
Phil Ligget Exhausts World's Supply of Cycling Analogies

After nearly four decades as the preeminent voice of professional cycling, Phil Liggett recently used up the last cycling analogy available.

Experts had warned Liggett in recent years that cycling performance analogy resources were running dangerously low. Despite these warnings, however, he continued to deplete vocabulary reserves at a reckless pace.

In 2004, authorities cautioned Liggett after his “excessive use” surrounding Davide Rebellin’s hat-trick of classics victories at the Amstel Gold Race, La Flèche Wallonne and Liège-Bastogne-Liège that year.

Liggett’s commentary caused a pronounced dip in resources, and, experts warned, if he were to continue depleting word stores at such a high rate, analogy levels could be critically low by 2007, and entirely depleted by as early as 2010.

However, these warnings came before the unanticipated trials and tribulations of the pro cycling ranks, including ongoing doping allegations of the sport’s top stars.

Armstrong’s return to the sport was alone responsible for excessive use of analogies.

“When Lance came out of retirement, it was the commentating equivalent of wiping out an entire Brazilian rainforest. The devastation was unprecedented,” exclaims Claude Valmont, Director for the French Regional Oral Ministry for*Affairs of*Grammar and Expression (FROMAGE).

Other commentators have complained that “(Phil) uses up the best ones and then there’s not much left for the rest of us,” says a commentator from a competing network, preferring to remain anonymous. “After he’s done describing a race, all we’re left with are zingers like*‘He rode really fast.’* Oooh!* Whoopee.”

Regarding his preparation for the 2009 Tour, “I thought I’d packed enough analogies,” says Liggett. “But we’re not even to the first rest day, and I get a call from one of my suppliers saying*‘Phil, we’ve got a problem.’* I was stunned.”

Liggett was dismayed to find a lack of sympathy among his compatriots. “You’d think after all we’ve been through, Paul (Sherwen) would share some of his words.*Right!**I’d have better luck asking him for bone marrow. And don’t think for a moment I’d stoop to borrow some from Bob (Roll). If I used his words, people would think I’ve had a stroke.”

Despite the setback, Liggett remains undeterred. “There are rumors of a rich, new discovery of cycling analogies in the Baikal Lake region of Siberia. But permitting could be tricky—to say nothing of extraction and transportation logistics.”

“For now, though, I’ll have to get by with the basic adjectives, or get more creative in my analogies.”

With that, Liggett’s eyes suddenly sparkled with inspiration as he exclaimed,*“Cavendish is charging down the finishing straight like a furloughed polygamist…um, a startled hedgehog…er, an incontinent bridesmaid!!

“Hmmm…still needs some work.”

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
UNFUCKWITHABLE

A collection of the best Liggettisms: http://www.liggettfan.com/main.htm#tier1

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-12-2010, 06:19 AM
You never go full retard

Phill Liggett is to cycling as John Madden is to the NFL.... i'm just saying, LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement