Mavs re-sign Dirk for 4 years - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Mavs re-sign Dirk for 4 years

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

DALLAS (AP) -- Dirk Nowitzki is sticking with the Dallas Mavericks.

Next question: Will he and Jason Kidd be able to lure anyone to join them?

Nowitzki's adviser, Holger Geschwindner, told The Associated Press late Saturday night that Nowitzki and Mavs owner Mark Cuban have agreed "to get it done." Teams and free agents can strike deals at any time, but can't sign them until Thursday.

According to a person familiar with negotiations, the deal is for more than $80 million over four years, with a no-trade clause. The person spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity because of the NBA's moratorium until Thursday. Team officials couldn't comment because of that same rule.

"I think it's a great deal," Geschwindner said. "We're pumped."

The deal was first reported by ESPN.

The 2007 NBA MVP has spent his entire 12-year career in Dallas. He is the franchise's career scoring and rebounding leader and has led the Mavs to 10 straight 50-win seasons.

But they haven't won a championship. And they've won only a single playoff series since blowing a 2-0 lead in the 2006 NBA finals.

At 32, Nowitzki feels he can remain at an elite level for several more years, and Cuban certainly agrees. He's put together a roster in win-now mode, and will look to make some major upgrades this summer.

Nowitzki and Kidd could serve as great recruiters.

Although Dallas lacks the salary cap room to sign the big names, the club has all sorts of desirable pieces piled up to make sign-and-trade deals. Nowitzki helped free up some money by not pushing for his maximum deal, which would've been $96 million.

Nowitzki opted out of the final year of his contract to become an unrestricted free agent for the first time. He didn't talk seriously with any other teams, but there was a bit of drama to what might've seemed like a slam-dunk return.

He kept changing his plans -- from opening free agency in Germany to flying to Dallas to making a detour through New York. A meeting Friday led to more meetings Saturday and the delays were nervewracking for Mavs fans fearful of him walking away like his pal Steve Nash did six years ago.

"We did not know (if he would re-sign)," Geschwindner said. "We had a bunch of options. Finally, he agreed. Dirk agreed with Mark, one-on-one."

Nowitzki wound up deciding to stay put on the third day of free agency. That's longer than it took Paul Pierce to stay in Boston but a lot quicker than the other marquee free agents who are juggling all sorts of options.

And now -- if Cuban, Nowitzki and Kidd have anything to say about it -- those marquee guys might have one more option.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0sjSpnXEe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Doing things the lazy way

Heard about this yesterday and am still pissed off about it. Dirk will never win is a championship, how much did we waste?? The mavs will suck ass for the next 5 years if we dont get some one like James in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:10 PM
Clown

Cuban will not be able to get anyone to come to Dallas in order to help Dirk win a championship. Dirk should have waited to see what James, Wade and Bosh does.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Doing things the lazy way

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
Cuban will not be able to get anyone to come to Dallas in order to help Dirk win a championship. Dirk should have waited to see what James, Wade and Bosh does.
thats the catch, nobody would agree to come here without dirk here so if he waited too long others would have gone elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR
You sir are the poster child for "Go big or go home"!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM
Keep jocking

I guess $ means more than a ring...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAC View Post
I guess $ means more than a ring...
Well he could have demanded the max contract for 96 mil and he didn't. Don't you think Dirk could have received 80 mil from another team? He took less money to give Cuban the financial room to bring it another solid player.

We'll see what Cuban does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:11 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

I was happy to hear this. Now if we can get a few loose ends tied up as well as get this coach to put a fire in these guys' asses maybe we'll have a more well rounded team that can go the distance. Just having someone that is willing to drive to hole will be a vast improvement.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Lifer

I'm glad this happened. Dirk is the best player in the franchises history, point leader, rebound leader, MVP, etc. It would be a stupid move to just let him go. The mavs had to try and get him to stay an let him decline. I wouldnt blame him for leaving for a ring but he has already mentioned that a ring somewhere else wouldn't mean the same. Now they need to use the extra cash and get a good second option. Even the best player in NBA history needed some help.

Working on my project Stang
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Lifer

there is a report that if the Mavs struggle that Dirk would want out and be traded.

its on foxsports.com

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
there is a report that if the Mavs struggle that Dirk would want out and be traded.

its on foxsports.com
After this contract expires he would then want to be traded if he hasn't won a championship. Did you read the article?

The mavs resigned Haywood too

Working on my project Stang
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
I'm glad this happened. Dirk is the best player in the franchises history, point leader, rebound leader, MVP, etc. It would be a stupid move to just let him go. The mavs had to try and get him to stay an let him decline. I wouldnt blame him for leaving for a ring but he has already mentioned that a ring somewhere else wouldn't mean the same. Now they need to use the extra cash and get a good second option. Even the best player in NBA history needed some help.
A ring somewhere else means more than no ring at all.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5point0pony View Post
After this contract expires he would then want to be traded if he hasn't won a championship. Did you read the article?

The mavs resigned Haywood too
yea I read it, and didnt really understand why they gave Haywood 55 million dollars

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement