Tuesday autopsy scheduled for South Carolina MMA fighter who died after pro debut - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Thumbs down Tuesday autopsy scheduled for South Carolina MMA fighter who died after pro debut

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?...South_Carolina

Quote:
Mixed-martial-arts competitor Michael Kirkham died this morning as a result of injuries sustained from a professional mixed-martial-arts bout this past Saturday at the USC Aiken Convocation Center in South Carolina.

WRDW News in Augusta, S.C., first reported the news.

Kirkham, 30, suffered repeated blows to the head during an MMA event dubbed "Confrontation at Convocation Center" and collapsed afterward.

He was taken unconscious to the Aiken Regional Medical Center, where he died from brain hemorrhaging, a representative of the Aiken County Coroner's office today confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

An autopsy on the fighter is expected for Tuesday morning, the ACC representative said.

According to an amateur fighter database hosted on mixedmartialarts.com, Kirkham held a 1-3 record with two losses by way of TKO. The June 26 fight marked his pro debut.

A representative for the South Carolina Athletic Commission directed MMAjunkie.com to an officer for the state's Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation, who was unavailable for comment.

Kirkham is the second fighter to die as a result of injuries sustained during a professional MMA bout. Houston-based fighter Sam Vasquez lapsed into a coma and died 42 days after a TKO loss to Vince Libari at a "Renegades Extreme Fighting" event in October 2007.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for updates on this story as they arise.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Lifer

you only hear about this from the smaller "underground"/non-mainstream MMA events, not UFC.. sounds like someone isnt doing something right
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Awesome "sport"!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R View Post
Awesome "sport"!
More than likely he had some sort of pre-existing condition that contributed to it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:12 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Awesome "sport"!
No one has ever died playing baseball or football though.....er wait.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Rockin' da fumanchu

Location: On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I understand the point you're trying to make, but the primary goal of baseball and football isn't to ravage/maim your opponent to death, into the hospital or submission. There are injuries yes, but the injury isn't the focus of the sport, it's to score points and win the game. Injuries are a probable byproduct by way of the nature of the physical aspect of sports.

Listen to my buddy, Jeff Bolton, from 6-9 AM Mon-Fri.

Obamanomics = Trickle Up Poverty

Think you need to format/reinstall your OS(XP), read this first.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
If that's your argument, then no one should ride a bike, drive a car, or run a marathon. Like explained above, people dying during real sports are byproducts of a freak accident (foul ball to the cranium for example), not because someone was trying to beat the shit out of them. Hopefully this UFC fad dies soon like Texas Hold 'Em has.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Id watch this dumb shit if someone actually came out of their circus ring dead all the time.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
If that's your argument, then no one should ride a bike, drive a car, or run a marathon. Like explained above, people dying during real sports are byproducts of a freak accident (foul ball to the cranium for example), not because someone was trying to beat the shit out of them. Hopefully this UFC fad dies soon like Texas Hold 'Em has.
Its not going anywhere. Martial arts has been around for over a thousand years and only evolved since then. Man will always be interested in ways of combat, it's our nature.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Hopefully this UFC fad dies soon like Texas Hold 'Em has.
What he said, this thread needs more tapout and affliction shirts, bro!

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Not likely.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Redneck View Post
I understand the point you're trying to make, but the primary goal of baseball and football isn't to ravage/maim your opponent to death, into the hospital or submission. There are injuries yes, but the injury isn't the focus of the sport, it's to score points and win the game. Injuries are a probable byproduct by way of the nature of the physical aspect of sports.
The focus is not to kill your opponent in MMA either.

Quote:
How many MMA fighters have died this year? 1 who was 1-3 in Amateur MMA and likely had some sort of pre existing condition.
More people die from Boxing but you aren't hoping that "fad" goes away.

People die everyday from doing their normal job. Should we outlaw every job that has some sort of danger? We should outlaw oil drilling because 11 people died in the gulf 2 months back.

You know the risks going in, you make that choice.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:06 PM
#1 HEAT FAN!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Id watch this dumb shit if someone actually came out of their circus ring dead all the time.
Or maybe they could bring in some sort of foreign object of their choice. Would be a real cage match. "two men enter one man leaves (sometimes)"
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Lifer

The number one cause of brain hemorrhaging is head trauma.

I agree with the point you're trying to make, Nate, but i think you leaning on this mysterious condition of his is a bit asinine. Dude got hit in the head a bunch of times and his body reacted... it's not that uncommon. Think about how many people suffer the same fate from skiing accidents, car accidents, bikes, moto-x etc.

You really think all those people had pre-existing conditions too?

-lo3oz

Last edited by Marisa; 06-30-2010 at 06:16 PM.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
The number one cause of brain hemorrhaging is head trauma.

I agree with the point you're trying to make, Nate, but i think you leaning on this mysterious condition of his is a bit asinine. Dude got hit in the head a bunch of times and his body reacted... it's not that uncommon. Think about how many people suffer the same fate from skiing accidents, car accidents, bikes, moto-x etc.

You really think all those people had pre-existing conditions too?

-lo3oz

Fighters in MMA get hit in the head MUCH less often than boxers do.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Lifer

i think the point nate is making is that only two fighters have died in MMA, and the main point of it is to hurt each other, where as in say football, people have died and the main point has nothing to do with hurting each other....

so then which is safer?

95' Red Mustang GT.

Slow.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 06:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Fighters in MMA get hit in the head MUCH less often than boxers do.
..and many MORE boxers have died in the ring than MMA fighters. Blow for blow boxing and MMA isn't a good comparison IMO, unless you asses standing blows only.

All i said was it's retarded to think the dude had to have suffered from some pre existing condition to make the situation feasible.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Lifer

I agree with lo3oz...blunt force trauma doesnt need a preexisting condition to cause brain hemorrhage. Boxers have quite a bit more padding in their gloves than do MMA fighters. The energy is more spread out from a blow with a 12oz glove compared to 4-5oz gloves. So it wouldnt take all that many hits to cause his injuries...one solid hit that causes unconsciousness and coup/contracoup injury...subsequent strikes further injure the brain and cause swelling and death from herniation. Fighting, regardless of the type, is dangerous and these fighters obviously understand the risks of getting into the ring.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994SilverGT View Post
i think the point nate is making is that only two fighters have died in MMA, and the main point of it is to hurt each other, where as in say football, people have died and the main point has nothing to do with hurting each other....

so then which is safer?
Mainstream MMA has only been around a few years, whereas football has been around for almost a century. So of course odds are more people would die during football than MMA, at least that we know of. But off the top of my head, most football deaths have been a result of heart failures, not from contact.

If you really think MMA is safer than football, than so be it. Someone needs to keep Tapout and Affliction in business. Can't get enough of this sweet shirts.

post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Painting Your House

It is a sad thing to happen to anyone, but we and the fighters know this is a strong possability. Pre existing condition...lol. Most of these guys train like apes and I sure as hell wouldnt want to take my chances with one of them.

I didnt see the fight, but I'm gonna guess the ref might have stepped in a little late. Not necessarly the fact though.

I'm sure they are starting to look at heavier gloves with this death, but who knows. Like JKD said, the fights will continue.

Edit: And comparing MMA to football and baseball is laughable.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:38 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSnake1996 View Post
It is a sad thing to happen to anyone, but we and the fighters know this is a strong possability. Pre existing condition...lol. Most of these guys train like apes and I sure as hell wouldnt want to take my chances with one of them.

I didnt see the fight, but I'm gonna guess the ref might have stepped in a little late. Not necessarly the fact though.

I'm sure they are starting to look at heavier gloves with this death, but who knows. Like JKD said, the fights will continue.

Edit: And comparing MMA to football and baseball is laughable.
Clean out your PM box ya old fart. I tried replying to your last one and it says your box is full.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Painting Your House

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Clean out your PM box ya old fart. I tried replying to your last one and it says your box is full.
Cleared.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Banned

So the guy was 1-3 with two of the fights ending with him getting the shit beat out of him (TKO). It sounds like an asshole thing to say but maybe he shouldn't have been in the ring? Put an out of shape 30 year old on a professional football field and let him take a hit from a 260lbs linebacker and see how well he does. I'm gonna blame it on poor training and the guy not being prepared for the world he stepped in to.

Hell, put a 16 year old in a nascar race with his only experience being winning a contest that let him take a car around a track a few times. Inexperience in "extreme" sports is not a good thing.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Lifer

It is the chance you take when you step into the ring/octagon. In life there are risks you take unless you go hide in your room.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Lifer

If he sustained significant head injuries during his previous losses, he was at a far greater risk of serious intracranial bleed compared to the average person...so in a sense you can say he had a pre-existing condition. This is why we take concussions so seriously. Its not the first one that is all that concerning. Its the subsequent ones that can kill you.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Scared s**tless

I know so many Football/hockey players that have had multiple concussions it's absurd to sit here and say MMA is stupid "compared to other sports" on that basis alone.

I feel that football and hockey have several things going for them that make those sports just as, if not (IMO) more so, prone to a concussion. In a caged MMA fight, you have one opponent you are engaging and constantly interacting with in closed quarters. If you get KOd or TKOd, you then have a ref who (supposedly per job regs) separates the fighters at that point.

In football and hockey, there are multiple threats from a variety of angles that are pretty much coming at you with the intent to hurt you. Keep all that bullshit "it's a fair sport" out of here: the guy with the puck/football is about to get smashed. Blindside hits are the biggest concussion contributor to either sport... they happen often and it's the reason you're seeing so many old players coming out with brain damage, early onset Alzheimer's and autopsies revealing massive portions of dead brain tissue. MMA guys typically don't get KOd a lot. I think that any aggressive hockey forward or quarterback will sustain more damaging head shots, year-for-year, than almost any professional MMA fighter.

Not a fair comparison, NFL and NHL guys get the shit beaten out of them much more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement