R.I.P. Big 12 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

R.I.P. Big 12

Quote:
A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com Wednesday Nebraska regents have informally agreed to leave for the Big Ten and will make a formal announcement on Friday. Several sources in the Big 12 South have said if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 is dead
Get ready to watch games at some random late times in a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:07 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
Get ready to watch games at some random late times in a few years.
Move Tech to the north, bring in TCU to fill Tech's spot. Problem solved.

That or just go back to calling it the SWC.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Lifer

The Husker's have their first big season in 10 years, and they're going to collapse the Big 12 by leaving? Figures. Without Su, they're going to suck again for years...

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
The Husker's have their first big season in 10 years, and they're going to collapse the Big 12 by leaving? Figures. Without Su, they're going to suck again for years...
well last year they got lucky that everyone else in the Big 12 sucked. I cant say Im surprised by this. But the NCAA needs to make sure that Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma stay together or at least play each other every year cause of the rivalry

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
well last year they got lucky that everyone else in the Big 12 sucked. I cant say Im surprised by this. But the NCAA needs to make sure that Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma stay together or at least play each other every year cause of the rivalry
I'm sure those three will stay together. This is some crazy stuff going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 PM
Clown

Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, TCU, UH, BU.....I don't see a problem.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I got your Jihad!!

I would love to see Texas go to the SEC but I know it will never happen.

2004 Dodge Ram SRT10 RC
2005 Big Dog Chopper 117ci
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
But the NCAA needs to make sure that Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma stay together or at least play each other every year cause of the rivalry
There are reports that A&M and t.u. officials are meeting today to make sure they are on the same page.

Even though most here think that the texas/ou games mean more (because of the impact on rank the last 10 years), I completely believe that A&M and t.u. officials understand that the 117 year State of Texas Tradition means much more (t.u. makes more money off the A&M rivalry because it's played in Austin every other year and is usually the only college football game being played/broadcast the day it's played).

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
Texas, A&M, Tech, OU, OSU, KU, KSU, TCU, UH, BU.....I don't see a problem.
Television Markets are the problem. In that senario, the two big markets are DFW and Houston. Austin, Lubbock, the entire state of Oklahoma, and the entire state of Kansas television markets combined to not even come close to L.A. and Seattle markets.

That's what this whole thing has to do with: Television Money. Which is Sad.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

They don't have to stay together, OU wasn't in UT's conference until '96 and they played every year before that anyways.

And i'm sure if aggy and texas went their seperate ways, they would still play each other around turkey day
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:14 AM
LS1 Fighter

Colorado is gone....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5271438

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Money Made All Good

Ok so its Big 10 Football?

04 5-speed GT
91 5-speed LX Vert
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Lifer

WOW a big conference really can desolve in less than a month. Amazing. Do the schools not have a contract with the conference? Or is it all based on word of mouth pledges? There has to be contracts involved.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:29 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Perfect! Bring Boise State in for north and TCU for south now that two teams are leaving!

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Honestly I dont have any respect for college football, nor do I care who wins a championship until someone in the NCAA grows a brain and creates a playoff system. Name me one time in the last 10 years the BCS has worked? All the BCS does is give the bigger schools a better chance to be in the big games.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Honestly I dont have any respect for college football, nor do I care who wins a championship until someone in the NCAA grows a brain and creates a playoff system. Name me one time in the last 10 years the BCS has worked? All the BCS does is give the bigger schools a better chance to be in the big games.
Texas beat USC
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Texas beat USC

and Bama beating Texas. Weren't those two years the only they had undefeated teams playing?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
LS1 Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Perfect! Bring Boise State in for north and TCU for south now that two teams are leaving!
From what i read, they might not even offer TCU an invite if they wanted them. There's no added TV bucks and hurts the recruiting of A&M, TT, UT and ect...They'd be more inclined to invite BYU than TCU.

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

What i am seeing is OSU/Colorado to Pac 10, Texas/Texas Am to Big Ten, OU to SEC. Looks like everything is changing by the minute...
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:00 PM
Resident Epicurean

Sad day. As much as I bag on TTU and UT, it'd be a shame to see it all come to an end. Fuck Colorado and Nebraska. They both suck.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Lifer

I grew up with the SWC, and I thought everything would go to shit when it ended. Of course it didn't, and the good, solid programs will always be fine. The travel involved with some of the conferences would be tough for any of the Texas teams (in particular), but other than that, OU and UT can write their own ticket to almost anywhere.

post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broke again View Post
What i am seeing is OSU/Colorado to Pac 10, Texas/Texas Am to Big Ten, OU to SEC. Looks like everything is changing by the minute...
Those are bogus reports started by TMZ Sports. Texas, aTm, TTU, OU, & OSU will be in the PAC10.

As for the B12 backfilling with new members, the conference will lose its BCS a.q. status as soon as membership falls below 6. When the Texas public & okie public schools bolt, the nail in the coffin is driven in. No point in really saving the conference.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade

Last edited by Got5onIt; 06-10-2010 at 08:04 PM.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I agree. Basketball seems to get it right. Of course they play more games, but I like the system.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got5onIt View Post
Those are bogus reports started by TMZ Sports. Texas, aTm, TTU, OU, & OSU will be in the PAC10.

As for the B12 backfilling with new members, the conference will lose its BCS a.q. status as soon as membership falls below 6. When the Texas public & okie public schools bolt, the nail in the coffin is driven in. No point in really saving the conference.
I bet it happens before that. You fall below 12 teams, you no longer have a conference championship.
post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
and Bama beating Texas. Weren't those two years the only they had undefeated teams playing?
texas vs. usc was the only one.

last year you had TCU, Cincinnati, and Boise State undefeated

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 08:54 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
I agree. Basketball seems to get it right. Of course they play more games, but I like the system.
my idea is to take the Top 16 teams by record and have a 4 week playoff system through the month of december and have the little bowl games with other teams played in the middle of those weeks. You would have a month of college football.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I bet it happens before that. You fall below 12 teams, you no longer have a conference championship.
Good point, but that is probably an internal conference thing. I'm pretty sure the BCS doesn't require a conference championship game. Look at the Big10 & up until a few years ago, the ACC. I've read the BCS auto bids dissolve for any auto bid conference when they lose x original members. For the B12 the magic number is 6.

2007 SRT8-Grand Cherokee
2008 Cadillac Escalade
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got5onIt View Post
Good point, but that is probably an internal conference thing. I'm pretty sure the BCS doesn't require a conference championship game. Look at the Big10 & up until a few years ago, the ACC. I've read the BCS auto bids dissolve for any auto bid conference when they lose x original members. For the B12 the magic number is 6.
If it plays out, they will just give 2 aq bids to the new pac10/16... So basically you just have the big 12 south with a bid playing in the pac10 east and the old pac10 teams with a bid in the west. The pac10 already said they aren't interested in having a conference championship game, they want it decided in a bcs game... This is a Boring solution IMO.

What I will be curious about is what the mwc will do. Boise state is still out there, and you would have some leftovers from the big12... Kansas and K-State?

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Apparently the A&M and t.u. meeting yesterday did not come up with a solution.

I have a feeling that A&M wants to go to the SEC, but Texas doesn't want to. Texas wants to go to the PAC10, but A&M doesn't want to. But neither school wants to go somewhere without the other.

Bottom line: Baylor is fucked because the PAC-10 is rumored to not want their religious Babtists involved. And it's looking like Texas Tech is fucked because of tv markets.

Let's not forget what this whole thing is about: TV Money!!!
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin

Wow, the Huskers are delusional...

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/...296.txt?orss=1
*For weeks, the sign outside the popular Mexican eatery on Fifth Street had a message taking BP to task about the oil spill.

But by Thursday morning, Dustin Hogzett, a Nebraska grad living in Austin, Texas, noticed that El Arroyo Restaurant was now aiming its displeasure at a new target.

The sign had new words, and it wasn’t exactly an advertisement for a burrito special.

A sign outside El Arroyo, a well-known restaurant in Austin, Texas, on Thursday.

Someone was testy. Apparently that someone wasn’t Courtney, the manager of El Arroyo.

“It wasn’t my joke,” she said. “I didn’t even know what it meant.”

Hey, some breakups come with a little vitriol.

With Internet anonymity emboldening some, there’s been a share of acrimony passing between some Nebraska and Texas fans in recent weeks as the conference realignment talk has heated up.

If Nebraska’s potential move to the Big Ten and Texas’ threat to head to the Pac-10 with five other league teams has seemed like a staredown between the two schools, it’s certainly kept the conversation lively for two fan bases that have never been cozy to begin with.

Just ask Jack Kubicek, another Husker fan living in Austin. A 1968 Nebraska graduate, Kubicek is president of the Capital of Texas Nebraskans, which consists of about 500 families.

As might be imagined, it’s interesting being a Husker in Horn country right now.

“It’s the only area that is translating that Nebraska’s at fault,” Kubicek said. “Everybody else around the country kind of blames a little bit on Nebraska, a little bit on Texas. But down here, Texas blames Nebraska. And it’s kind of funny because Texas was looking at both those conferences (the Big Ten and Pac-10) before, and now they suddenly find a scapegoat they can blame their breakup on.”

Hogzett, a 2004 Nebraska graduate, has listened to much of the talk on Austin sports radio.

“They’ve been going nuts, thinking there’s no way Nebraska’s going to be leaving,” Hogzett said. “They think they control all the cards. They didn’t see this coming at all. Right now they just feel like they got coldcocked.”

Jon Madani has a much different take. A program director for Austin’s 1300 AM “The Zone,” he’s also a co-host of a morning sports show “Wake-Up Call.”

Conference realignment talk has dominated most of his recent shows.

As for how his callers are viewing Nebraska right now?

“I don’t think there’s any animosity,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any hard feelings. I don’t think Texas fans are going to lament this that long at all.”

Madani said Nebraska actually comes up very little on his shows.

“For the most part, most people don’t get torn up about it because the history’s not there,” he said. “I could be wrong on the stats, but I think the last nine times they have played, Texas has won eight of them. And I don’t mean that to be disrespectful. But there’s just not a whole lot to get torn up about.”

Apparently, it just depends on perspective — or whether you prefer scarlet to burnt orange. Hogzett said he’s sensed a lot of “doom and gloom” around Austin since news hit that Nebraska was likely leaving the Big 12 in favor of the Big Ten.

He said he’s heard a lot of people “dogging” on the Big Ten and Nebraska.

“But they have no facts so they’re not coming at me with anything good,” he said.

Nebraska and Texas fans may take part in some back-and-forth on the issue. But Husker athletic director Tom Osborne made it clear earlier this week that any conference affiliation decision for NU isn’t being made because of animosity toward anybody.

“This is not a case where we’re somehow reacting to any one school, particularly to Texas,” Osborne said during an interview on the Husker Sports Network.

Still, combine all the factors and there’s no doubt that Oct. 16 game at Memorial Stadium will be one of the hottest tickets in a long time. That’s the day Texas comes to town.

The breakup may have happened, but with Big 12 play possibly lasting into 2011, each side will probably still have to go to the other’s house at least once more.

Jill Simpson, president of the 1,400-person North Texas Nebraskans group, said she’s already had numerous calls about that Texas game: Can we get tickets? Can we get tickets?

“I think the mantra is we don’t need an extra second to win the game,” Simpson said. “That’s been said more than once.”

Reach Brian Christopherson at [email protected] or 473-7439.
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:12 PM
Saint's heart sinner skin

Osborne has wanted out for a while. He's just upset that he's not the big dog anymore, and despises Texas for that as well as wanting academic standards in place for the Big 12. If I had to blame anyone, based on the facts that I currently know, I blame Mizzou for starting the talks of leaving last year. No one gives a **** if NU leaves. Sure, they're the 3rd highest money-maker, but they're hardly anything to raise a stink about. Texas will be fine wherever they go. I used to work at the original El Arroyo on 5th street, and we used to make signs about anything and everything. One night (shortly before I worked there) they made a sign that read "Show me on the doll where El Arroyo touched you." So NU, please don't take yourselves too seriously.
post #31 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Needs 8 View Post
Apparently the A&M and t.u. meeting yesterday did not come up with a solution.

I have a feeling that A&M wants to go to the SEC, but Texas doesn't want to. Texas wants to go to the PAC10, but A&M doesn't want to. But neither school wants to go somewhere without the other.

Bottom line: Baylor is fucked because the PAC-10 is rumored to not want their religious Babtists involved. And it's looking like Texas Tech is fucked because of tv markets.

Let's not forget what this whole thing is about: TV Money!!!
UT passed up BIG money to stay in the Big 12. My damn aggie cousin called me crying like the bitch he is, about UT leaving the Ags hanging out to dry. So I called him back and told him to write a letter to Mack Brown thanking him for saving the A&M program...

post #32 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 08:44 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/06...98&feedID=3742

Texas turns down Pac-10; Big 12 schools have framework of deal

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

The remaining Big 12 members are close to a remarkable comeback that will ensure the conference's viability of 10 members a source familiar with the negotiations told The Dallas Morning News.

Several small details need to be ironed out, but the framework of an agreement appeared to be in place Monday afternoon.

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott confirmed that the University of Texas has declined an invitation to join the conference. The decision will preserve the Big 12 as a 10-team conference, assuming Texas A&M elects to remain. Texas A&M officials were deliberating Monday afternoon.

In a brief phone conversation, Scott said: "We've been informed by University of Texas president Bill Powers that Texas will stay with the Big 12. We have not received definitive details about this decision. It is our understanding that Texas was going to meet the terms that we have proposed."

As he left the Main Building, Powers declined comment.

http://www.polijam.com/index.php?opt...orts&Itemid=55

by : Administrator
Published : Monday, June 14 2010 20:21
PoliJAM SHARE
|
Print PRINT
|
E-mail EMAIL
IRVING, Texas, June 14 (UPI) -- Texas A&M announced Monday it will stay in the Big 12 Conference while Texas, Oklahoma and other members have also decided to remain, officials said.

In a day of fast-moving developments, Texas A&M President R. Bowen Loftin issued a statement indicating his school would remain within a slimmed-down Big 12 and not bolt to the Pacific 10 or the Southeast Conference.

"Texas A&M is a proud member of the Big 12 Conference and will continue to be affiliated with the conference in the future," Loftin said. "As Athletics Director Bill Byrne and I have stated on numerous occasions, our hope and desire was for the Big 12 to continue."

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott said he has dropped efforts to recruit Texas A&M, Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.

"University of Texas President Bill Powers has informed us that the 10 remaining schools in the Big 12 Conference intend to stay together, Scott said.

"We are excited about the future of the Pac-10 Conference and we will continue to evaluate future expansion opportunities under the guidelines previously set forth by our presidents and chancellors."

Sources quoted by The Oklahoman said the survival of the Big 12 was dependent on Texas A&M dropping its flirtation with the Southeast Conference and committing to a new structure hammered out by Commissioner Dan Beebe.

The Big 12 schools were courted by the Pac-10 after Colorado defected to the Pac-10 and Nebraska fled to the Big Ten.

The newspaper said Beebe was successful in assembling a TV contract proposal worth at least $14 million for each school and as much as $20 million per year for heavyweights Texas and Oklahoma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement