Formula One comes to Austin!!!!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
LS1 Fighter

Formula One comes to Austin!!!!!

Incase anyone cares, Formula One returns to the US. and its Austin! I'm not to thrilled about the selection, but hey its back.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html

Quote:
Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to [email protected].

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Lifer

im not big on Formula ehh (Talladega Nights lol) but it would be cool to see them in austin

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:12 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpuTacoma View Post
Incase anyone cares, Formula One returns to the US. and its Austin! I'm not to thrilled about the selection, but hey its back.

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlin...0/5/10824.html
Austin would be a great place to have it! Lots of twisties!!

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Austin would be a great place to have it! Lots of twisties!!
I wonder what the course is going to be? Hell traffic already sucks there lol. I love Austin though.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Lifer

In
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Shit yes.

I'm there.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:34 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strychnine View Post
Shit yes.

I'm there.
Shotgun.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 01:42 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Already have my room and board reserved.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Old school 4-eye'd

<--in.

Wonder where the purpose built facility is?

post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:12 PM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Shotgun.
Dibs on backseat.

post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:55 PM
May the Force be w/you

I'm def in!
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:57 PM
Sure Shot

Badass! Only time I have been was when it was still in Indy.

post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 02:59 PM
Lifer

I love racing, but F1 and all of the snooty bastards can suck my cawk!
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Shotgun.
you can ride with me if you want. i will be there for sure.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
you can ride with me if you want. i will be there for sure.
Word up! I played Lake Park yesterday. 50/52 for a 102. All I needed was a 6 or less on 18 to break 100 and I carded a 9 lol fucking brutal.
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:20 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

<-- Definitely going!

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Lifer

Going to be nice if it's out by the airport. That's only 10-15 minutes from my place.

-Herb-
03 Torch Red Mach 1
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:54 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
I love racing, but F1 and all of the snooty bastards can suck my cawk!
"See ya at NASCAR, chief!"

post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
SEE YOU AT NASCAR!!!!

lol, fucking epic.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'm flipping shit over here, this is awesome news.

post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Lifer

ya, this will happen just like the US based f1 team will happen.........

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
Word up! I played Lake Park yesterday. 50/52 for a 102. All I needed was a 6 or less on 18 to break 100 and I carded a 9 lol fucking brutal.

golf.... the only game you pay lots of money to hate.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I hate to tell ya this, but NASCAR has sold out. They can't even finish a race under a green flag anymore. It sucks to watch 3 hours to only have to sit through 3 yellow flags during the last 20 laps.
post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 05:51 PM
dead

oh my god, i just jizzed myself. i love the fuck out of formula 1.
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:03 PM
dead

i'm afraid of when they try to schedule this race. please don't pick summer, you will regret it and the drivers will hate it and people wont show up (i will either way but it will be swamp ass).
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:06 PM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
yea... sad day. i wish ford was in a position to take that venture over.
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:11 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

I'm stoked that they signed a 9-year deal for it as well! Even if I can't make it on the inaugural year, I have eight other opportunities!

post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 AM
Lifer

There dosent need to be a US Formula 1 team. There isnt a British or a German or a France team? Formula 1 just needs america drivers. The last american was Scott Speed and he really didnt do well in his time in Formula 1. If I had to start a Formula 1 team based from USA, Id go with Penske. Get some drivers from the IRL like Will Power, Marco Andretti.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:56 AM
dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
There dosent need to be a US Formula 1 team. There isnt a British or a German or a France team? Formula 1 just needs america drivers. The last american was Scott Speed and he really didnt do well in his time in Formula 1. If I had to start a Formula 1 team based from USA, Id go with Penske. Get some drivers from the IRL like Will Power, Marco Andretti.
i agree, teams are split so far based on owner, major sponsor, powerplant and location BUT there are teams based in the uk, france, germany, italy, hell even brazil. mercedes, ferrari, renault have their names engrained in it.

cosworth is powering some of the cars but it would be nice if US based ford would create a team. just dont see it happening unless it catches on here cause whats the upside? shit aint cheap. honestly as it sits, ford europe would benefit more.

if it catches on more in the us, ford + major advertiser(think beer) would be badass
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
i agree, teams are split so far based on owner, major sponsor, powerplant and location BUT there are teams based in the uk, france, germany, italy, hell even brazil. mercedes, ferrari, renault have their names engrained in it.

cosworth is powering some of the cars but it would be nice if US based ford would create a team. just dont see it happening unless it catches on here cause whats the upside? shit aint cheap. honestly as it sits, ford europe would benefit more.

if it catches on more in the us, ford + major advertiser(think beer) would be badass
How about Penske Racing with Marlbro colors? They used to have that way back in the day. Start a team powered by Chevy cause they had some good success in IRL with Panther Racing and Sam Hornish, Jr in the early part of the 00's.

Id make my drivers some of the best road racing drivers in the IRL. When you look at that, your talking about drivers like Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power, Scott Dixon, and a few more that are good at road courses and know how to race a open wheel car. The drivers dont have to be american, the way I see it is if they are built from here and these are the best drivers in their profession then I want them behind the wheel

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #31 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
LS1 Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
Id make my drivers some of the best road racing drivers in the IRL. When you look at that, your talking about drivers like Tony Kanaan, Dario Franchitti, Ryan Briscoe, Will Power, Scott Dixon, and a few more that are good at road courses and know how to race a open wheel car.
I'd definitely like to see a Ford/Chevy F1 team. but as for the drivers, i'm not sure those IRL champs could cut it. Look at Sébastien Bourdais. He won 4 consecutive Champ Car championships. And he sucked in F1.

Marco Andretti and a veteran would be awesome.

Can't beat them, Join their message board !!

I m5...

post #32 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpuTacoma View Post
I'd definitely like to see a Ford/Chevy F1 team. but as for the drivers, i'm not sure those IRL champs could cut it. Look at Sébastien Bourdais. He won 4 consecutive Champ Car championships. And he sucked in F1.

Marco Andretti and a veteran would be awesome.
Marco hasnt really even done great things in IRL lately.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #33 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Sign I saw on the ground:

Welcome to the most expensive dirt in Texas!

The NIMBY's (not in my backyard) will never allow it.

This town has lots of cool stuff, but our city clowncil members are bonafide tards.

Build that shit in Detroit, where houses sell for the change in your cup holder. They need the stimulus. Austin needs Formula 1 like Obama needs the constitution.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
post #34 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronj View Post
Welcome to the most expensive dirt in Texas!

The NIMBY's (not in my backyard) will never allow it.

This town has lots of cool stuff, but our city clowncil members are bonafide tards.

Build that shit in Detroit, where houses sell for the change in your cup holder. They need the stimulus. Austin needs Formula 1 like Obama needs the constitution.
austin needs to take advantage of this and they dont need to do that. If this track is built and its juat not one of the premier road courses but one of the most premier track in the US, then it will attract more than just Formula 1. Look what TMS does for here.

The track would probably hold 1 F1 race, a IZOD Indy Series Race, Rolex Series, a Nascar Nationwide Series race and possibly a Sprint Cup race in the future. Rick Perry will get this done cause unlike Obama who doesnt know how to run a country, Perry actually has done a good job through this economy for the state of Texas.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #35 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Horse Trader

Consider me in and going! I'm sure it will be on the South East side of Austin near the new loop. Can't wait. Went to the 2000 - 04 races in Indy and will be waiting for this one BIG TIME! Plus, HOPEFULLY the track will be open for HPDE/NASA/Lemons races!!!!
Yeah!!!!

Wheel stands and bumper drags are signs of a poor suspension setup.

Freak'n AWESOME Mercury Marauder burn out
CLICK THE AD TO THE RIGHT OF THE VIDEO PLEASE!!!
post #36 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Lifer

the only way a US based team will happen is if a brazillian funded driver brings his cash. and all the f1 teams except ferrari are based within 20 miles of eachother around london..........sorta like charlotte for the stockcar hillbillys.

real cobras don't have fog lights
post #37 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:57 PM
Lifer

deal has been signed and is done. This cannot come soon enough, lets hope it's not another fair park disaster though and that they schedule the race at a decent time of here. Unfortunately the Canadien Grand Prix is the first week in June so i'm going to assume that it will be around that time. This is huge and hopefully the people of Austin will recognize what it will do for that town on a yearly basis.

I'll show your president the same respect you showed mine.
post #38 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post

Whoever decides to do make an American entry needs to do what Ross Brawn did with his team last year: buy an existing, struggling team with an established chassis and then buy the best engine that they can get their hands on. From there they could begin work on their own chassis/engine but the last thing they need to do is try to start from scratch; Toyota was dumping $500 million a year into their program at one point and had nothing to show for it. There's too much established technology in F1 to try and start from the ground up and be competitive.

post #39 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Whoever decides to do make an American entry needs to do what Ross Brawn did with his team last year: buy an existing, struggling team with an established chassis and then buy the best engine that they can get their hands on. From there they could begin work on their own chassis/engine but the last thing they need to do is try to start from scratch; Toyota was dumping $500 million a year into their program at one point and had nothing to show for it. There's too much established technology in F1 to try and start from the ground up and be competitive.
very good point with the Toyota

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #40 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren M View Post
Consider me in and going! I'm sure it will be on the South East side of Austin near the new loop. Can't wait. Went to the 2000 - 04 races in Indy and will be waiting for this one BIG TIME! Plus, HOPEFULLY the track will be open for HPDE/NASA/Lemons races!!!!
Yeah!!!!

x25
post #41 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
Yeah, I don't EVER see it happening. Austin could never support the EXPECTED 300k people it would take to make it profitable....let alone the $50M Eclestone tax for the event. Given the track has yet to even break ground...or have a location, I seriously doubt jack shit will ever come of this. The people of Austin need to call all the cities that currently have an F1 event and find out the REAL DEAL on what it costs. Eclestone will let anyone spend money and TRY to hold an event. If you fail in meeting F1's requirements, your loss. They go elsewhere. I seriously doubt anyone in Austin understands what this will require to pull off. Personally I thought it was a joke.

That being said, if it DOES happen, I'm in for running any support races for some free track time!

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!

Last edited by aggie97; 05-27-2010 at 12:16 AM.
post #42 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
Time Served

I am really hoping this happens. I had the pleasure of attending the USGP in 2001, and it was an experience I'll never forget.

The sound of those engines turning 14,000 rpm is something that you can't appreciate unless you are there in person. I was amazed at how many people from foreign countries had flown all the way to the US.

It sure would suck if they don't go through with this.

SC300 5spd
post #43 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Sign I saw on the ground:

General location has been announced. 500-700 acres off TX 130, which is the new toll road on the east side of town (out of town for all intents & purposes). Not saying exactly what part of it, but my guess is S. East.

Someone just got rich.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

Last edited by barronj; 05-27-2010 at 03:14 PM.
post #44 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Lifer

They need to make sure that they build this perfect and not cut corners and rush. We dont need another Ontario Speedway.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #45 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Hope it happens, I don't think austin has enough time or $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec
post #46 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

I would be sooo in for this. If they could build a great facility, I could see them possibly getting a Sprint Cup road course race down there.

However, I doubt they could get this done anytime of the year other than summer when t.u. is empty. But the summer temps don't feel anything like the "wonderful 68 degree average annual temperature".

I don't see the Liberal douches down there getting this done.
post #47 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Public Melt Down

I heard they were looking at Lou Neff Rd on the river for the track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I think his point is that the fish got low balled, fucked in the catfish asshole and you paid half price. The worst part was the fish explaining to his fish friends why his asshole smelled like redneck.
post #48 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Doughnut Lover!

I would definitely make the trip to see an F1 race! I got to see a Motorcycle GP race in Germany and it was a blast even though it was 50* and raining.
post #49 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Lifer

post #50 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Lifer

Can't wait tell tickets are available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement