Official BJJ competition thread. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Official BJJ competition thread.

Well, after this last Saturday at NAGA the competition bug has bit me hard. As if I didn't have enough drive before and doing so well in my weight loss and getting into shape, now I have a focus with it rather than just training.

I wasn't all that interested before in competitions that just focused on BJJ, but once the matches started I instantly regretted not signing up and went into withdrawls. What an atmosphere and so much fun!

I will compete for sure in September and December at NAGA. I'm not sure about Grapplers Quest due to travel plans, but I'm going to go if I can work it out.

Some of the guys in my current division are some huge beasts, but I'll deal with it training with the big guys at the school. But my goal is to drop to 220 by December at the very least. I want to get there healthy and not just cutting weight, I'd like to keep the muscle that I have gained.

I'll even post up the videos for you guys to make fun of win or lose. I'm just having a blast.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 AM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
file this under who gives a shit
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Go fuck your mother.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Time Served

Quote:
yep

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
CEO of......

Quote:

Isn't that what we file you under?
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
Large Member

There is one in Ft Worth July 17th I'm thinking about getting in.

Here's a link to some info.

http://www.strongvon.com/cowtown

Like you I don't want to compete in the Super Heavy division just because some of those guys are fucking huge, like 300 lbs. I'm at around 235 right now, if i sign up I'm gonna go for 220.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Lifer

i hear ya man. i got choked out nasty at naga but it was a blast. when i got up my leg was all sketchy and i almost fell down, lol. i was able to take 3rd in no-gi because of my greco background. i didn't do well in the gi, but i did better than last time.

nate told me you were there but i guess you had already left. i wanted to introduce myself to you. but, i am sure i will see you around if you start competing.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
There is one in Ft Worth July 17th I'm thinking about getting in.

Here's a link to some info.

http://www.strongvon.com/cowtown

Like you I don't want to compete in the Super Heavy division just because some of those guys are fucking huge, like 300 lbs. I'm at around 235 right now, if i sign up I'm gonna go for 220.
Well, at least you only have 15lbs to lose and you have awhile to do it. That will give you sometime to add some strength while losing some weight too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacious j View Post
i hear ya man. i got choked out nasty at naga but it was a blast. when i got up my leg was all sketchy and i almost fell down, lol. i was able to take 3rd in no-gi because of my greco background. i didn't do well in the gi, but i did better than last time.

nate told me you were there but i guess you had already left. i wanted to introduce myself to you. but, i am sure i will see you around if you start competing.
Yeah, the teammate that rode with me needed to get home as soon as possible. I forgot to put your number in my phone before I left so I missed meeting you. Sorry about that. I will be competing in September and December so I'm sure we will run into eachother eventually or maybe we need to gtg for some training.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Large Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Well, at least you only have 15lbs to lose and you have awhile to do it. That will give you sometime to add some strength while losing some weight too.

Well it won't be that easy. I'm already fairly lean. I'm 6'6" so I think I can give the 220 guys some trouble with my length. This would be my first competition so we'll see. I think it would be really fun win or lose.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Well it won't be that easy. I'm already fairly lean. I'm 6'6" so I think I can give the 220 guys some trouble with my length. This would be my first competition so we'll see. I think it would be really fun win or lose.
Hell yeah you will give some guys some issues. With those long legs and arms, you can base WAY out. That can work for you, but also against you later down the road. But in novice, lol, you'll be fine. It's definetly alot of fun and really addicting.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Large Member

Quote:
Hell yeah you will give some guys some issues. With those long legs and arms, you can base WAY out. That can work for you, but also against you later down the road. But in novice, lol, you'll be fine. It's definetly alot of fun and really addicting.
Oh I'm already addicted. I'd like to think I could do okay but I'm not expecting to win or anything, just to have fun.

Our class has shrunk over the past few months and every Wednesday it's just me and a very good blue belt. It's like I get a private every week.
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:

Yeah, the teammate that rode with me needed to get home as soon as possible. I forgot to put your number in my phone before I left so I missed meeting you. Sorry about that. I will be competing in September and December so I'm sure we will run into eachother eventually or maybe we need to gtg for some training.
right on.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Oh I'm already addicted. I'd like to think I could do okay but I'm not expecting to win or anything, just to have fun.

Our class has shrunk over the past few months and every Wednesday it's just me and a very good blue belt. It's like I get a private every week.
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it's time to find yourself a proper school. What part of town are you in?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:17 PM
Large Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like it's time to find yourself a proper school. What part of town are you in?
Terrell, it's not too bad. It sucks more for him. He's still teaching me a lot and I've only tapped him a couple of times so far. They are looking for someone to come in and teach right now. Hopefully they can get someone in there and get some more students.
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 06:47 PM
AHMO!

I was at Naga as well....dropped my no gi match (I was pitiful in that)

Won my first round gi match via armbar after a sweep/mount and was up 6-0.

Second round gi match, just simply gassed...I suck at this BJJ thing.

Last edited by Nate; 05-30-2010 at 09:37 AM.
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post

One my first round gi match via armbar after a sweep/mount and was up 6-0.

Nah, you don't suck. Just need to work harder on your training is all. Give yourself a break, you're still a beginner and have lots of room to grow still.

Donnie just started BJJ yesterday and you guys are in the same weight class. That would be funny to see!

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:57 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Nah, you don't suck. Just need to work harder on your training is all. Give yourself a break, you're still a beginner and have lots of room to grow still.

Donnie just started BJJ yesterday and you guys are in the same weight class. That would be funny to see!
Open mat in a couple of weeks on a sat?

Going to try and make the cowtown summer wars and be in the 200/220 division.
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Open mat in a couple of weeks on a sat?

Going to try and make the cowtown summer wars and be in the 200/220 division.
Sure, sounds good. Since NAGA, I've stepped up training and getting my diet completely clean. I'm gonna try my best to get to 225 for NAGA in September.

Donnie got his first introduction to MMA training yesterday, he did well and hung in there until the end before he left his breakfast in the restroom. lol. He's going to compete at NAGA in novice. Should be an interesting tournament. lol.

What sites do you go to for tournament dates? txmma?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:09 AM
AHMO!

The front door of my gym lol. Danny posts up posters for the most part.

Naga dates you know about and then the ibjjf tourneys you can find I their websites.

Have Donnie do gi wb too. Hell you drop to 225 by next naga and do gi wb as well.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:

One my first round gi match via armbar after a sweep/mount and was up 6-0.

won not one.

lol you don't suck bro. you and me just need to have one minute rounds and two minute breaks in between each round. i feel both of us would do much better. you going to open mat on monday

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
The front door of my gym lol. Danny posts up posters for the most part.

Naga dates you know about and then the ibjjf tourneys you can find I their websites.

Have Donnie do gi wb too. Hell you drop to 225 by next naga and do gi wb as well.
I might do both classes in case I lose an early rounder, but I defintely prefer no gi. There is some lazy, cheesy ass players in gi in the heavyweights that just lay there and hold on to the gi which really annoys me. There is much more focus on points rather than finishing which turns me off with it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
won not one.

lol you don't suck bro. you and me just need to have one minute rounds and two minute breaks in between each round. i feel both of us would do much better. you going to open mat on monday
Going to try. I might be heading to my dads tonight so if we do that I will be 2 hours away Monday and won't make it.

Coming to flores's house today for sergio's going away party?
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
I might do both classes in case I lose an early rounder, but I defintely prefer no gi. There is some lazy, cheesy ass players in gi in the heavyweights that just lay there and hold on to the gi which really annoys me. There is much more focus on points rather than finishing which turns me off with it.
If you don't like being held down, don't give them the chance and impose your will. Finish them if they are only after points. There is always someway to work for a finish or for a better position if the technique is learned and the will is there to execute.
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Going to try. I might be heading to my dads tonight so if we do that I will be 2 hours away Monday and won't make it.

Coming to flores's house today for sergio's going away party?
i was not invited.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Lifer

Quote:
i am with you on the no gi. i do gi in tournaments as well just for the mat time but i am not very good in it and i feel out of place.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
i am with you on the no gi. i do gi in tournaments as well just for the mat time but i am not very good in it and i feel out of place.
I don't mind the gi until it's against the lazy players who just want to get a couple of points then lay there holding the gi moving just enough to avoid a stall warning. It's just a preference is all. I'll still do gi for the experience and learn the game, it's just not as much fun as no gi in my opinion.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Lifer

there are fights this weekend in arlington. thegym.org has all the info. i am buddies with a couple of the fighters and it should be a good show. they will be doing a bikini contest and have a band for a couple hours before the fights.

myspace.com/tylerdurdin
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Sure, sounds good. Since NAGA, I've stepped up training and getting my diet completely clean. I'm gonna try my best to get to 225 for NAGA in September.

Donnie got his first introduction to MMA training yesterday, he did well and hung in there until the end before he left his breakfast in the restroom. lol. He's going to compete at NAGA in novice. Should be an interesting tournament. lol.

What sites do you go to for tournament dates? txmma?
That mma class was great, all I've done is talked about it all week. Can't wait till class tomorrow night, I've been wanting to train for a while but the wife's college schedule really screwed that up. Maybe Nate will get the chance to tap my old fat ass in September. Nate how old are you, I will be in the over 30 class.

Photobucket
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
That mma class was great, all I've done is talked about it all week. Can't wait till class tomorrow night, I've been wanting to train for a while but the wife's college schedule really screwed that up. Maybe Nate will get the chance to tap my old fat ass in September. Nate how old are you, I will be in the over 30 class.
It will get better as time goes by and you train more. I bet you were sore as hell the last few days. I know I was. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 04:35 PM
AHMO!

I'm 26, will be 27 in August.
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm 26, will be 27 in August.
Well you aren't in one of the old man classes so I won't be tapping to you. But I'm sure somebody will get the chance. Realized last night how much I have to learn. Having a great time so I guess that's what matters.

Photobucket
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
It will get better as time goes by and you train more. I bet you were sore as hell the last few days. I know I was. lol.
Wasn't awefull after saturday but last night sure did the trick. I'm definitly sore today.

Photobucket
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Wasn't awefull after saturday but last night sure did the trick. I'm definitly sore today.
It will get better as time goes by and you start getting into shape. BJJ is hard in the beginning because you are out of shape and you are walking in the room knowing you know less than everyone else. You're already doing good and having fun. Just try your hardest not to miss any classes and get your workouts in because when you miss its kinda like a step backwards with your cardio. It rough now, but before you know it you are stronger, faster and having more fun than you ever thought you would.

As you have found out, Shannon is a workout machine. His attitude is that if you lose a fight or tournament, it WONT be because you are out of shape or lack the technique, it will be all on you. He's going to do his part making sure you are prepared. Just give him all you got and thats all he asks for .

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Lifer

I plan on competing in the overweight and under-employed class.

post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I plan on competing in the overweight and under-employed class.
We need to do a weigh in to start our contest. 225lbs here I come.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Well you aren't in one of the old man classes so I won't be tapping to you. But I'm sure somebody will get the chance. Realized last night how much I have to learn. Having a great time so I guess that's what matters.
You can be in his division, he just can't be in the Masters division. You don't HAVE to be solely in that division if you don't want. But Nate cant be in Masters because of the age requirement. Odd I know, but thats the way it works.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Time Served

Someone should put together an open mat with all the dfwstangs bjj players. Just so we can help eachother sharpen up

I need to stop betting with Silvercobra03 because I keep losing.
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
AHMO!

Six dfwstangers are at the same open mat almost every Saturday lol.
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Six dfwstangers are at the same open mat almost every Saturday lol.
It just sucks its all the way out in west BFE. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ready when you are, sugar cookie.

post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 PM
AHMO!

Quote:
It just sucks its all the way out in west BFE. lol.
Lol 15 mins from the center of the entire metroplex vs you in Wylie. Who's in bfe now?
post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Lol 15 mins from the center of the entire metroplex vs you in Wylie. Who's in bfe now?
There is NOTHING in the center of the metroplex. So you're 15 minutes from nothing. Bravo.

post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
There is nothing in Tarrant county worth seeing let alone living there. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm going for the 199 and under, weighed in this morning at 221. I shouldn't have an issue cutting down to that if I stop eating junk food. Going out drinking tonight so that doesn't help

Photobucket
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm going for the 199 and under, weighed in this morning at 221. I shouldn't have an issue cutting down to that if I stop eating junk food. Going out drinking tonight so that doesn't help
Good job!

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
So don't do it if you really want to hit the goal you goof. You don't HAVE to drink to have a good time.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
So don't do it if you really want to hit the goal you goof. You don't HAVE to drink to have a good time.
Sure you do, I'm only gonna have a couple. Now for my birthday party I'm getting plowed but that is in 2 weeks. I will have the next few months to cut the weight. I will make it, just need to get my ass to the gym as much as possible.

Photobucket
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Sure you do, I'm only gonna have a couple. Now for my birthday party I'm getting plowed but that is in 2 weeks. I will have the next few months to cut the weight. I will make it, just need to get my ass to the gym as much as possible.
My birthday is on the 10th,a Thursday, I won't be getting plowed and I won't miss my workout either. : D I set my goal, nothing will stop me from hitting it.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 10:35 PM
I might, im drunk.......

Quote:
My birthday is on the 10th,a Thursday, I won't be getting plowed and I won't miss my workout either. : D I set my goal, nothing will stop me from hitting it.
\

People ask me how I lost my weight I always tell them "you have to want it bad enough yourself" looks like you are on the right track (I had a few plateaus). I got tired real damn quick of being the asshole for jumping peoples ass with a hand in the vending machine bitching about health problems/weight.

p.s. watch Cosby's himself
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidonenko View Post
\

People ask me how I lost my weight I always tell them "you have to want it bad enough yourself" looks like you are on the right track (I had a few plateaus). I got tired real damn quick of being the asshole for jumping peoples ass with a hand in the vending machine bitching about health problems/weight.

p.s. watch Cosby's himself
I completely agree with you. You can't do it, until you are really ready and wanting to do it. If it's half hearted, you'll get the same kind of results and temporary ones at that. I've completely changed the way I look at it all now. I used to look at losing the weight as a diet which in that mindset makes it a temporary thing. Now it's a lifestyle change completely. Making better food choices, going to the gym 5/6 days a week, sitting on my ass less and getting up and doing things actively rather than waste of time stuff like watching TV less.

I've still got alot improvements to make, but I know I can do them now and not feel like I am depriving myself which is what made it hard before. Now that I am getting the hang of it and getting in better shape, I'm curious to find out how far I can take it to see what I am capable of.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement