LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Texans' Brian Cushing Suspended

4 games.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/T...nhancing-drugs

Updated May 7, 2010 10:51 PM ET
HOUSTON (AP)

Texans linebacker Brian Cushing was suspended for four games on Friday for violating the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing substances.

The 2009 Defensive Rookie of the Year will miss the first four games of the upcoming season and be eligible to return during the week of Oct. 4. The Texans play Indianapolis, Washington, Dallas and Oakland during his suspension. Cushing can participate in preseason practices and games.

"We were disappointed to learn that Brian has been suspended for the first four games of the 2010 season,'' Houston general manager Rick Smith said in a statement. "Brian is a productive member of our team and this is a significant loss, but we have to be prepared to win without him.''

Cushing, the 15th overall pick in last year's draft out of Southern California, had 133 tackles in 2009. The Texans finished 9-7 last season for their first winning record thanks in part to the improvement of a young defense that features Cushing, star middle linebacker DeMeco Ryans and 2006 top overall pick Mario Williams.

Veteran Kevin Bentley, who appeared in each game for Houston last season but never started, is Cushing's backup at outside linebacker.

Cushing was hounded by rumors of performance-enhancing drug use before he became a pro, but the Texans were undeterred. They said then they found no truth to those rumors in their draft preparations.

"I've passed every drug test out there and still have,'' Cushing said during his 2009 draft press conference. "I'm not that kind of guy.''

Cushing had been promoting an appearance on the NFL Network show Total Access Live scheduled for Friday evening on his Facebook page before posting the following message Friday afternoon: ``Had to cancel NFL Network and all other interviews due to a family emergency. Heading to airport to fly back to NJ to be with the fam.''

Cushing did not provide any further details about the emergency. He is from New Jersey and had been in school in California this week.

The suspension was first reported by ESPN.

Cushing began training in February with MMAthletics, a program run by FOX Sports NFL Sunday insider Jay Glazer and mixed martial arts legend Randy Couture. Glazer made the following statement with regard to Cushing:

“I can’t pass judgment until after I talk to Brian. I really hope the allegations aren’t true. My partner Randy Couture and I — and the program we created — are all about outworking everybody else in the league, not taking shortcuts. I can tell you this in my time working with Brian — I loved it. We really bonded. I expect to hear from Brian tonight.”

FOXSports.com contributed to this report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Texan

I crack up when my friends argue that the MLB is the only league that has problems with steroids because the NFL's and NBA's testing policies are tighter.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
I crack up when my friends argue that the MLB is the only league that has problems with steroids because the NFL's and NBA's testing policies are tighter.
yup, but baseball does have a problem with steroids

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
yup, but baseball does have a problem with steroids
Unfortunately, all sports at all levels have a problem with PED's. It's just a matter of how many get caught and how high a profile the media makes it when they are caught as to how they look in the public eye.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

It's funny, all he keeps saying is that he was not taking a steroid. That's great dude, but there are a lot of other banned PED's in the NFL. Like it matters which one you were taking, idiot.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 09:15 AM
African Booty Scratcher

dang, thats the last thing we needed.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
dang, thats the last thing we needed.

god bless.
Yep. I was hoping Houston could make a run this year. Not to the SB of course, but have a good season with playoff hopes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Lifer

Man that sucks. He is a very important person in that teams D. They will suffer for this. FWIW Though, he did pass a polygraph about this if that means anything. Not that those are the greatest truth indicators. We shall see.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
Unfortunately, all sports at all levels have a problem with PED's. It's just a matter of how many get caught and how high a profile the media makes it when they are caught as to how they look in the public eye.
Tennis really doesn't. Not anymore. Mainly because they don't give you a piddly ass ban of 4 tournaments. Get caught with cocaine that is equal to a grain of salt and it's a 2 year ban. Win a tournament and fail your drug test, you instantly forfeit all prize money and ranking points. Oh and the top players in the world have to inform the doping testing agency where they are going to be 3 month in advance right down to location and time for testing. Don't fuck with the ATP. Sure you can appeal, but you can't play while the appeal process is happening and it usually takes 3 months.

98 GT.
5 Speed
3.73's
Full Exhaust
Eibach Sportlines
18" Chrome Cobra R's
PI swap.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

There is new talk that he may get stripped of his defensive rookie of the year award.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
There is new talk that he may get stripped of his defensive rookie of the year award.
I heard they were thinking of revoting, but leaving him on the ballot still.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Lifer

AP Source: Cushing tested positive for HCG<
By BARRY WILNER, AP Football Writer
38 minutes ago

Buzz up! 6 PrintNEW YORK (AP)—A person familiar with Brian Cushing’s(notes) case says the Houston Texans linebacker tested positive for HCG, a fertility drug that is on the NFL’s banned substance list.

The person tells The Associated Press that Cushing had one positive test last September, then subsequently tested negative several times. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because test results are supposed to remain confidential.

ESPN first reported the banned substance.

The NFL has suspended Cushing for the first four games of next season. He won the AP’s NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year honor in January for outstanding on-field performance. The AP is taking a revote for the award, plus for All-Pro outside linebacker.

What the hell, he just wanted some babies, don't suspend him for lacking in the procreation department.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Lifer

Ha this son of a bitch still got voted again as the rookie of the year. Just goes to show you the different standards football has compared to baseball. NFL people couldn't care less if these guys were on steroids, but baseball guys get there nuts all rapped around there asshole.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Lifer

Posted 12 minutes ago

Texans LB Cushing retains top defensive rookie honor in AP revote

Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing won a revote Wednesday to keep The Associated Press NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year award, despite his positive drug test.

The second vote was taken after the NFL suspended Cushing without pay for four games last week for violating the league's drug policy. He tested positive in September. Although Cushing said he took a non-steroid substance, the league still considers it a performance-enhancer.

That revote gave Cushing 18 votes from a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the league. Buffalo Bills safety Jairus Byrd received 13 votes, and Green Bay Packers linebacker Clay Matthews had 12. Washington Redskins linebacker Brian Orakpo had three votes and St. Louis Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis one.

"I'm very, very happy that I was able to keep the award," Cushing told the Houston Chronicle. "A lot of voters stuck with me, and I really appreciate that. I'm excited and honored, just like I was the first time."

Byrd wasn't disappointed to finish second again, telling the AP: "I'm good. Yeah, I'm fine with it."

One voter wasn't available to cast a ballot, and two voters abstained. In all, 19 voters switched from Cushing to another player, and one voted for the linebacker after originally picking Byrd.

In the original balloting in January, Cushing received 39 votes to six for Byrd, three for Matthews and two for Orakpo.

"There was some doubt because I had heard that I might not keep it," Cushing told the Chronicle about the rookie award. "It's been tough. I'm glad this part is over. As I said, I'm very happy that enough voters were still behind me."

Cushing did lose his spot on the All-Pro second team, for which he originally had five votes and now has only one.

"If I had known in January when we initially voted that Brian Cushing had tested positive for a banned substance, I might not have voted for him," said Charean Williams of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram and president of the Pro Football Writers of America. "However, Cushing won the award in January, and I don't feel like we should revise history. I am concerned about the precedent."

John McClain of the Chronicle voted for Cushing the first time and had "no problem" voting for him again.

"In good conscience, I couldn't not vote for him after voting for Julius Peppers in 2002 knowing he'd tested positive (and won the same award), and for Kevin Williams on the All-Pro team knowing he'd tested positive (in the StarCaps case).

"I also believe taking the award from Cushing would have opened up a Pandora's box when it came to players and awards. I think the AP should make it a rule that a player who tests positive is going to be subjected to a revote."

Costly for Cushing
Brian Cushing might lose more than four games.
He also could miss out on $950,000 in future bonuses, writes Jason La Canfora, who examined the Texans LB's contract. More ... A person familiar with Cushing's case told the AP on Tuesday that the linebacker tested positive for HCG, a fertility drug that's on the NFL's banned substance list. The person said Cushing had one positive test last September, then subsequently tested negative several times. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the test results were supposed to remain confidential.

Cushing is suspended without pay until Oct. 4, although he can participate in offseason workouts, training camp and preseason games. He will not be eligible for next season's Pro Bowl -- he made the AFC team last January but didn't play, citing several injuries -- or any NFL-sponsored awards.

"A player who tests positive for a performance-enhancing drug, especially a masking agent for steroids, should not be honored with a prestigious award," said voter Adam Schein of Sirius NFL Radio and foxsports.com. "He failed the test in September. His season is tainted. This is wrong.

"I am very disappointed in the results of the revote and my fellow voters who voted for Cushing."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement