Durant pledges to OKC, waits patiently for pledge back - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Durant pledges to OKC, waits patiently for pledge back

Posted Apr 20 2010 10:16AM

Kevin Durant is surrendering his bargaining position. Flat out giving it up. Maybe forfeiting millions of dollars, even tens of millions, in the process. And get this: He doesn't care.

This is about sending a message to a franchise and a city while ending what to him has become a surprising level of guesswork on his future. So, in a move that makes little business sense but every bit of common sense -- and in the process says more about him than any scoring title or playoff appearance ever could -- Durant goes for direct.

He is taking a long-term contract with the Thunder. If the reasonable offer comes this summer, he will sign. But if it doesn't -- and this is where it gets good -- he will not be upset. He will not try to pressure, guilt, cajole, debate or threaten the team into a deal.

He will merely wait until the next summer and sign then, if that's the Thunder's preference.

Wanting to halt the mounting speculation that owner Clay Bennett and general manager Sam Presti will forever alienate him if they refuse to offer a max contract at the earliest possible moment, Durant is committing himself to Oklahoma City no matter what.

"If it doesn't happen this summer, as long as I know I'm going to be here, then I'm happy," Durant said. "And if it happens the summer after that, fine. I would like to get it tied down as quick as possible. But if it doesn't happen like that, then everything happens for a reason. I'll still be happy to be here and come to work every day and be a great person and the great teammate that I am. It's all about just knowing that where there's a will there's a way. I'll get done if it's in the plans."

But ... but ... the snub. What about the slap of being the NBA's newest superstar, the face of the franchise, the hero in a region passionate about its sports and being told to take a place in line?

Durant simply must be disappointed at the front office. He must already be planning an exit strategy.

"I wouldn't, I wouldn't," Durant said. "I have faith that it'll hopefully get done. I have faith that these guys want me to be here for a while. Just as long as I'm playing the game of basketball."

But ... but ... what if there is no offer this summer? That obviously will drive a permanent wedge between you and the team.

"I'm not going to get upset at all," he said. "Not at all."

This is so Durant. He carries a low-maintenance greatness in the Tim Duncan mold, he's a dedicated worker and a willing listener with a rare combination of skills. He wants to remain part of Oklahoma City, the team and the place, so he says it. No mess.

The surprise to Durant, in the latest lesson of how life changes with this kind of ascension, has been reading and hearing about how this summer is shaping up as the Shootout at the O.K.C. Corral. Sign him or risk losing him. That's the presumption going around, untrue as it may be.

Many people simply can't imagine him wanting to stay in Oklahoma City which, in fact, is exactly what he wants. The intrigue now is how the Thunder will handle the situation, now that it's about to be front and center, now that Durant has blown up into a top-five player and has become the closest to a sure-thing investment in this universe.

The calendar is the major consideration. Durant can sign an extension this summer, coming off a scoring title and the team's jump to 50 wins and the playoffs. Or the Thunder can put off the decision until summer 2011. Also known as the summer with a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, or the early days of the lockout that will result in a new CBA. A CBA that players and owners recognize will be with much tighter restrictions on salaries.

The difference between Durant signing in another few months or another year could be tens of millions of dollars. Presti has done a masterful job of managing the salary cap, but the Thunder are aware of the financial drawbacks of being in a small market. They're very budget conscious.

Wanting to lock up Durant is a no-brainer. When they will do it is not as clear, with team officials offering no hints. But they want him, obviously.

More importantly, Durant wants them -- no matter what.

Scott Howard-Cooper has covered the NBA since 1988. You can e-mail him here.

The views on this page do not necessarily reflect the views of the NBA, its clubs or Turner Broadcasting.

This kid is the future of the sport.

Oklahoma & Boston in the NBA Finals btw!

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Time Served

This story needs to be posterized everywhere. This SEEMS like a true role model and someone who wants to play the game for the right reasons.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Lifer

Thats awesome! He sounds like a good guy and he's definitely a good player

Working on my project Stang

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

If anyone knows how to put together a competitive team in a small market, Sam Presti does. He was a part of the Spurs organization for a long time, so he knows how to do it.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 PM
Lifer

Wow what a standup guy. I got a whole lot of respect for him now.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Texan

Kevin Durant: Reverse Psychology Master

Now other teams know if they want him to even consider their offer they will have to blow OKC's offer out of the water. What a sly man.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Lifer

Durant is a heck of a talent, and Oklahoma City is crazy about this team. When the Hornets played in Oklahoma City after Katrina, the home games were always packed. The Thunder have a young but good team. Maybe add another scorer like Joe Johnson and they will be a juggernut in the West.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Resident Epicurean

I wish more players in the NFL had this line of thinking. I love the NFL, but they've got the biggest fucking babies in professional sports.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I wish more players in the NFL had this line of thinking. I love the NFL, but they've got the biggest fucking babies in professional sports.
i hate it when an athlete complains about making 5 million dollars, shut the fuck up

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
i hate it when an athlete complains about making 5 million dollars, shut the fuck up
Yep. You don't want to play because you didn't get a fat extension? Adios, chump. Good luck spending a couple hundred thousand on an attorney fighting a losing battle for not fulfilling your contract.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Yep. You don't want to play because you didn't get a fat extension? Adios, chump. Good luck spending a couple hundred thousand on an attorney fighting a losing battle for not fulfilling your contract.
A niggas gotta feed his kidz yo. Don't be haten.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Just like any other regular job.... You agreed to a salary you will be payed. Don't expect to make anything more. You have to let it be known you are hungry for more money.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 12:39 AM

I remember when kobe came in the league and he was always talking about what an honor it was just to get a chance and how lucky he was etc... a few years later, he's allegedly raping bitches from room service and demanding 20 mil a year. I wonder how KD will be when he turns 23...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement