Brandon Marshall is a Dolphin - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Brandon Marshall is a Dolphin

Well, I really hoped they would work things out in Denver, but after yesterday I knew it was a short time till he was gone.

The Denver Broncos are trading wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft and what league sources say is an additional second-round pick in 2011.

The trade is contingent upon the league processing the paperwork and Marshall passing his physical, neither of which is expected to be an issue on Wednesday.

Marshall is scheduled to fly to Miami to take his physical and, if he passes, sign what will be one of the most lucrative wide receiver deals in NFL history, according to league sources. In return, the Broncos will get two high draft picks for a player who caused them headaches in addition to making plays.

In little more than one year, with a pair of blockbuster trades, Denver has recouped two first-round picks, two second-round picks, a third-round pick and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Jay Cutler and Marshall.

The Broncos now head into next Thursday's draft armed with three picks in the top two rounds, but with a big hole fill at wide receiver. Marshall caught 101 passes for 1,120 yards and 10 touchdowns last season. He has 327 career receptions for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons, all in Denver.

The trade also shakes things up in the AFC East, as Miami will match and arguably top the deal the New York Jets made earlier this week, when they traded a fifth-round draft pick for talented but troubled Steelers recevier Santonio Holmes.

Marshall is one of the game's best young wide receivers, a mercurial talent at the position Miami needed help at most. He is in the prime of his career. But like Holmes, he also brings a reputation of being difficult to handle and a legal record that has him one strike from a year-long suspension.

Once Marshall signed his $2.5 million tender with the Broncos on Tuesday, it freed Denver to begin shopping him. Miami was hot after Marshall, as was Seattle. Tampa Bay showed some interest and even the Jets considered making a play for Marshall before their deal for Holmes, according to sources.

Adam Schefter is an ESPN NFL Insider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
LUCIFER

Good move for Miami

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:39 AM
T-MINUS

Opens up Royal's role big time. Wonder why they didn't try to get something a bit more out of the deal??

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Custom Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Opens up Royal's role big time. Wonder why they didn't try to get something a bit more out of the deal??
Nobody wanted to give more. he is 1 step away from another suspension, and I think it would be a year this time if I recall. Hmm, lets see, Brandon is from the area, South Beach has lots of shit going on (lots of it illegal) and Brandon will have a pocket full of cash. Yeah, I see trouble ahead!

Hope he stays out of trouble tho, he is an animal when he gets the ball.

They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Lifer

Better then Seattle I guess..... Hopefully they keep ted ginn Jr. as well.

Brandon Marshall should do just fine with Miami.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowstang View Post
Nobody wanted to give more. he is 1 step away from another suspension, and I think it would be a year this time if I recall. Hmm, lets see, Brandon is from the area, South Beach has lots of shit going on (lots of it illegal) and Brandon will have a pocket full of cash. Yeah, I see trouble ahead!

Hope he stays out of trouble tho, he is an animal when he gets the ball.
Yeah, good point. Hopefully he isn't selling his cleats in a few years as an 'official nfl window garden holder'

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:26 AM
Lifer

Kind of surprised Parcells would want any part of Marshall. Eh whatever, they are the DOLPHINS!! No worries.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Kind of surprised Parcells would want any part of Marshall. Eh whatever, the are the DOLPHINS!! No worries.
I'll make sure to quote this at a later date.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAjeff View Post
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Texas Rangers #1

I'm glad they finally have a #1 WR. Hopefully Parcell's lays the law down and Marshall grows up. Only time will tell.

post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Lifer

Marshall's numbers are incredible.... Three consecutive 100 catch season's and going over 1,000 yards. Two consecutive pro bowls.

Only other reciever to do that is who? Marvin Harrison... But then again he also had the great peyton manning. B. Marshall did it with a transition between quarterbacks and other problems on/off the field. The guy is good.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Lifer

I like the move for the Broncos. Marshall has had some off the field issues but I havent heard him once call out his QB in Cutler or Orton in Denver. Maybe its one of those things where he needs a new start somewhere else. Miami just got a whole bunch better. If they keep Ronnie Brown they now have the throwing game to go with the running game. Also add in the Wild Cat. Plus you look at the division they look to be the best right now. New England looks to start getting old. New York traded for Holmes, but released their offense in Thomas Jones. And the Bills are the Bills

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsanity07 View Post
I like the move for the Broncos. Marshall has had some off the field issues but I havent heard him once call out his QB in Cutler or Orton in Denver. Maybe its one of those things where he needs a new start somewhere else. Miami just got a whole bunch better. If they keep Ronnie Brown they now have the throwing game to go with the running game. Also add in the Wild Cat. Plus you look at the division they look to be the best right now. New England looks to start getting old. New York traded for Holmes, but released their offense in Thomas Jones. And the Bills are the Bills
To have a throwing game, you have to have a quarterback. I don't see one able to get it to Marshall enough. I guess Henne could be good this year, but he isn't proven enough for me to say they will now have a passing game.
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Lifer

Brandon Marshall is under a one year contract I believe so next year he could possibly be going somewhere else

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
To have a throwing game, you have to have a quarterback. I don't see one able to get it to Marshall enough. I guess Henne could be good this year, but he isn't proven enough for me to say they will now have a passing game.
I think I could play QB if I had 15. LOL!

Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton, chris Simms..... Real good QB's right there.

Haha I was reading comments and one of them said "I sure bet Cromartie wishes he never got traded to the Jets." lmao.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

Last edited by IDAjeff; 04-14-2010 at 01:27 PM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Texas Rangers #1

Quote:
Brandon Marshall is under a one year contract I believe so next year he could possibly be going somewhere else
Supposedly they are working on a contract to make him the highest paid WR in the league. 10+ million a year.

post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
Supposedly they are working on a contract to make him the highest paid WR in the league. 10+ million a year.
They better... It's only fair the statistically best reciever in the league get paid like it.

Only 1-2 recievers that should reciece top dollar like Brandon Marshall and that would be Andre Johnson & Larry Fitzgerald IMO and even that is arguable.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
They better... It's only fair the statistically best reciever in the league get paid like it.

Take the blue and orange glasses off man. Brandon Marshall is NOT the "statistically best receiver in the league".

Andre Johnson leads everyone in yards by a hair over 200 yds. Marshall? #FOURTEEN!

Randy Moss leads in touchdowns with 13. Marshall? 9th with 10.

Welker leads with receptions, with 123. Marshall? 4th with 101.

So what exactly makes Marshall the "statistically best receiver in the league"? Because what's posted above is what matters. Nobody is saying Marshall isn't good. But he's certainly not the best, in any of the categories that matter. Couple that with his loud mouth, his crybaby attitude, and his lack of work ethic, and it just goes downhill.

As for your second comment, I guess Randy Moss is a chump? Welker? Austin? Boldin? White? I could go on all day...
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Lifer

Lol bored... Posted a few stats up.

He isn't THE best but then again he also didn't exactly have perfect communication and lack of practice etc.. so I say he did pretty well especially with missing games. Would be nice to see him play for a good qb like Peyton Manning or Drew Brees for a WHOLE season and see what happens.

Lol edit: it's funny how Marques Colston (7th round pick in 2006) & Brandon Marshall (4th round pick in 2006) both got slept on and have pretty identical stats only difference is the attitude of the player. Oh yeah and Colston has a Super Bowl ring.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Texas Rangers #1

Deal has been reached with Marshall and a new contract with the Dolphins. The deal is a four year, 47.5 million extension (under contract for 5 years) including 24 million guaranteed. This makes him the highest paid WR in the league.

post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang View Post
Deal has been reached with Marshall and a new contract with the Dolphins. The deal is a four year, 47.5 million extension (under contract for 5 years) including 24 million guaranteed. This makes him the highest paid WR in the league.
Awesome, I am so happy for CryBaby Brandon.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Awesome, I am so happy for CryBaby Brandon.
You just wait until next year, when he starts skipping practice again because some other receiver gets a fatter contract than he has.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
You just wait until next year, when he starts skipping practice again because some other receiver gets a fatter contract than he has.
That could never happen. He will obviously be satisfied with his measly 24 million up front.

Funny thing, I saw a story on Charles Rogers having to give back 6 million to the Lions. I could see the same happening to Marshall one day.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Lifer

Well... Hate to say I told ya'll so.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Well... Hate to say I told ya'll so.
I never doubted it, I'm just saying he isn't worth what you, and Marshall himself, think he is worth.

EDIT: And before you say "Well the Dolphins apparently think so".... They are the Dolphins. They NEED someone with his level of talent. Ginn Jr is great, but they need a top 10 to take them to the next level. If Marshall could make Orton and Cutler look like they aren't really as bad as they appear, just think about what he will be able to do for Henne or Pennington.

That comment would have a point, but you have to keep in mind that 31 other teams passed on him, knowing damn well all it would take is a 2nd rounder.
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I never doubted it, I'm just saying he isn't worth what you, and Marshall himself, think he is worth.
He is worth more then what the Denver Broncos would give.

In all honesty i'm sad to see him Marshall leave Denver but I dont blame the guy. I hope for nothing but the best for Marshall and I can't wait to see Denver Broncos vs Miami Dolphins!!! Champ Bailey and Brandon Marshall is the new rivalry hands down my two favorite players in the NFL.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:

In all honesty i'm sad to see him Marshall leave Denver but I dont blame the guy. I hope for nothing but the best for Marshall and I can't wait to see Denver Broncos vs Miami Dolphins!!! Champ Bailey and Brandon Marshall is the new rivalry hands down my two favorite players in the NFL.
And I am sure half the Denver women population is happy he is gone.
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
I agree with that, but if I was Denver, I wouldn't give him a fucking thing either. Why should they? ESPECIALLY after the bullshit he pulled last season. This entitlement shit is getting really old, really fast. You're under a fucking contract. You shut the fuck up, and play. Period. You can whine all you want, when it's time for a new contract. Until then, shut the fuck up and play. You don't want to show up to practice? Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out. If you didn't like the contract, you shouldn't have signed it.

I think more Owners, Coaches, and GMs need to be more strict about this. Stop giving in to these crybaby fucks. They are under a legally binding agreement. If they want to whine about contracts, they don't play. They don't practice, they get cut and sued for a prorated amount of any guaranteed money. They don't want to pay that pro-rated guaranteed money back? They don't play in the NFL til fines/lawsuits are settled, period. Let the NFL enforce it.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Punkslapper

Quote:
Haha I was reading comments and one of them said "I sure bet Rogers Cromartie wishes he never got traded to the Jets." lmao.
Jets are not going to be too concerned about Cry Baby Marshall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalInjection
It's both.......at 12 degress timming it's a street car, at 19 it's a racecar
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDumbRedneck View Post

That's reavis I was talking about Cromartie and if i'm not mistaken Eddie Royal burned Reavis.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Lifer

I do agree with you pretty much completely Bcoop and owners, coaches and gm's really do need to be more strict but I don't see it happening.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

lmao.

Ochocinco STILL hasn't changed his name back to Johnson, which was going back on a nationally televised promise he made pre-game. Fucking punk!
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:15 PM
Lifer

The Denver Broncos traded Pro Bowl wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for a pair of second-round draft picks, the teams announced Wednesday morning.

Marshall flew to Miami and signed a four-year extension worth $47.5 million, with $29 million coming over the first three years, a league source told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

Marshall earned $2.2 million last season in the final year of the rookie deal he signed in 2006 as a fourth-round draft pick out of Central Florida.

Brandon Marshall is the third big-name receiver to be traded this offseason.

Player New Team 2009 Receptions Yards
Brandon Marshall Dolphins 101 1,120
Santonio Holmes Jets 79 1,248
Anquan Boldin Ravens 84 1,024

The mercurial wide receiver has long wanted out of Denver, and he finally got his wish when the Broncos pulled off their second blockbuster deal in as many seasons under coach Josh McDaniels. Denver sent quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago last April for Kyle Orton and a several draft picks.

The Broncos will receive a second-round pick in next week's draft and another second-rounder in 2011 in exchange for Marshall, who signed his $2.521 million tender from the Broncos on Tuesday to help facilitate a trade.

Marshall represents the biggest trade acquisition by the Dolphins since running back Ricky Williams went to Miami in 2002 for four draft picks, including two first-rounders.

Miami is a surprise destination for Marshall because Dolphins coach Tony Sparano hadn't shown much interest in acquiring him. But football czar Bill Parcells, who has final say on personnel matters in Miami, has never shied away from talented-but-troubled wide receivers, working with Terry Glenn in New England, Keyshawn Johnson in New York and Terrell Owens in Dallas.

The Dolphins have been desperate for a deep threat at receiver to loosen up defenses for their potentially potent ground game and young, strong-armed quarterback Chad Henne.

Speedy Ted Ginn Jr. has been a disappointment since Miami took him with the ninth overall draft pick in 2007. Ginn and the other wideouts -- Brian Hartline, Davone Bess and Greg Camarillo -- combined for only six touchdown catches last season.

La Canfora reported on Tuesday that the Dolphins are attempting to trade Ginn before next week's draft.

The acquisition of a top-line receiver frees up the Dolphins to use the No. 12 pick in the draft next week on the defensive front seven, where help is also needed.

The Broncos, who own the 11th pick in the first round, have many needs, especially at linebacker, but now will likely address wide receiver in the draft, as well.

Marshall's departure removes Orton's primary target and leaves the Broncos with Jabar Gaffney, who had 54 catches for 732 yards and two TDs last season, as their top receiver. Eddie Royal caught 37 passes with no TDs and Brandon Stokley had 19 catches, four for TDs.

In March, the Broncos slapped a first-round tender on Marshall, but teams were unwilling to part with a first-round draft pick as compensation to lure the restricted free agent out of Denver.

Marshall posted his third consecutive 100-catch season last year and made his second straight trip to the Pro Bowl despite several run-ins with McDaniels both on and off the field.

HQ video delivered by Akamai
He was suspended for insubordination in training camp and again for the season finale after he was tardy for treatment on a hamstring injury the team felt he was exaggerating.

Still, Marshall caught 101 passes last season, including an NFL-record 21 in a loss at Indianapolis, for 1,120 yards. His 10 touchdowns were a career best.

Marshall has 327 career catches for 4,019 yards and 25 touchdowns in four seasons. Only New England's Wes Welker, with 346, has more receptions than Marshall's 307 over the last three years.

The Seattle Seahawks were the only team that had Marshall in for a visit during free agency, flying him in on a seaplane. The Seahawks, however, were unwilling to part with the sixth pick in the upcoming draft to sign him. They traded their second-rounder (40th overall) to the Chargers for quarterback Charlie Whitehurst.

For all his talents on the field, Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to commissioner Roger Goodell's office to discuss his off-the-field behavior. He was suspended for the 2008 opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

In February, an emotional Marshall was a witness in the murder trial of Willie Clark, who was convicted in the 2007 drive-by slaying of Broncos cornerback Darrent Williams.

Last summer, Marshall was suspended by the team for throwing a tantrum at practice during training camp. The source of his frustration was twofold: he was upset with the team's medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required offseason surgery and he was displeased with his contract.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Punkslapper

Quote:
That's reavis I was talking about Cromartie and if i'm not mistaken Eddie Royal burned Reavis.
I never thought that it was Cromartie. There are probably not a lot of pictures of Cromartie in full Jet gear seeing how he just signed on with the Jets.

My point was that the Jets will simply line up Revis across from Marshall so the Cromartie thing doesn't matter. FYI, Ginn burned Revis but given a choice of Royal, Ginn, or Revis, I think I'll take Revis every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalInjection
It's both.......at 12 degress timming it's a street car, at 19 it's a racecar
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 02:30 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I never thought that it was Cromartie. There are probably not a lot of pictures of Cromartie in full Jet gear seeing how he just signed on with the Jets.

My point was that the Jets will simply line up Revis across from Marshall so the Cromartie thing doesn't matter. FYI, Ginn burned Revis but given a choice of Royal, Ginn, or Revis, I think I'll take Revis every time.
Yeah That's right it was Ted Ginn who burned Revis I forgot who it was.

Lol your choice of Royal, Ginn, or Revis? Lol I like how you left Brandon Marshall out cause i'd take him everytime over Revis or Cromartie.

So does anyone think the Denver Broncos might go after Dez Bryant at #11 in the NFL Draft or what do ya'll think about coach McDanials going after Terrel Owens?

Super Bowl 2011 preview

Last edited by IDAjeff; 04-15-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement