Mike Lowell trade to the Rangers may still happen... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Texas Rangers #1
 
Kenny_Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Funky Town
Posts: 10,592
Mike Lowell trade to the Rangers may still happen...

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=5044393

Not sure what I think about this trade, I do think we need some depth behind Chris Davis, but I really would rather we give a youngster from our stocked farm system a shot, rather than an aging vet like Lowell.

.
Kenny_Stang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Texan
 
0 GT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 3,684
He's pretty salty, I wouldn't mind having him on the squad.

0 GT 2 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
CEO of......
 
bert89coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Longview
Posts: 7,134
This doesn't make much sense. I'd rather see them plug in a younger at first base
bert89coupe is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
This doesn't make much sense. I'd rather see them plug in a younger at first base
Why? Why not try to win now with a good veteran? We can't keep throwing young guys in for experience, eventually you have to draw a line and go for the ring.
mstng86 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Between Smoak and Salty we have depth at first. I'd like to even see them try Hamilton out over there, it'd keep him from plowing into the walls. The main reason I'd like to see him come here would be to take depth away from Boston. You know between Beltre, Youkilis or Ortiz atleast one of them and probably two are going to hit the DL this season.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!
 
Who Needs 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: A little here, a little there . . .
Posts: 14,997
The ticket is reporting that this is most likely not going to happen because they can not agree on money.

"The Pill": Helping control the Educated Population since 1960


Improve America's Education System: Have the High School Drop Outs Spayed and Neutered.


Stupid and Lazy breeds more Stupid and Lazy.


"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." - Sir Winston Churchill


The DFWStangs Political Forum: Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
Who Needs 8 is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:05 PM
Texan
 
0 GT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Between Smoak and Salty we have depth at first. I'd like to even see them try Hamilton out over there, it'd keep him from plowing into the walls. The main reason I'd like to see him come here would be to take depth away from Boston. You know between Beltre, Youkilis or Ortiz atleast one of them and probably two are going to hit the DL this season.
Hamilton has a cannon, putting him at first would put it to waste.

0 GT 2 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:50 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
Hamilton has a cannon, putting him at first would put it to waste.
Vlad has one of the best arms to ever play the game, him playing DH is also a waste. The way it sits right now we have question marks about Davis and an over abundance of outfielders. I'd hate to see them dump Murphy, Cruz or Borbon since they are all very young and don't cost much. Hell put Murphy at first.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I'm going Commando
 
RyanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 469-323-7873
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
Why? Why not try to win now with a good veteran? We can't keep throwing young guys in for experience, eventually you have to draw a line and go for the ring.
So if the Rangers are just one piece away from a ring? You're delusional. Adding Lowell who is oft injured, has a high salary, and had one of his best seasons at age 35 is NOT a good idea.

so fuckin'

RyanB is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Lifer
 
mstng86's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Forney, TX
Posts: 7,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
So if the Rangers are just one piece away from a ring? You're delusional. Adding Lowell who is oft injured, has a high salary, and had one of his best seasons at age 35 is NOT a good idea.
I am not saying we necessarily need Lowell. I am saying at some point your farm system is just that, a farm system, and you don't win championships if you keep on bringing those guys up to "mature". Eventually you have to have some veterans that you can count on to get you to the playoffs, and the young guys contribute.

Yes the experience will help the young guys, but we can sit here all day and give these guys big league experience and never win a damn thing because all we are doing is training these guys to be big league ballplayers.
mstng86 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 02:41 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
So if the Rangers are just one piece away from a ring? You're delusional. Adding Lowell who is oft injured, has a high salary, and had one of his best seasons at age 35 is NOT a good idea.
That's the thing, his salary won't be an issue if Texas gets their way. Boston only wants a backup catcher for him and for Texas to pay some of his contract. Besides, Barry Bonds didn't hit his prime until 35

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm going Commando
 
RyanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 469-323-7873
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
That's the thing, his salary won't be an issue if Texas gets their way. Boston only wants a backup catcher for him and for Texas to pay some of his contract. Besides, Barry Bonds didn't hit his prime until 35
LOL @ Bond. I know, the only reason Boston is willing to let him go is because they know they overspent for him. The Rangers only get Lowell if they pay too much for him.
RyanB is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Texan
 
0 GT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Vlad has one of the best arms to ever play the game, him playing DH is also a waste. The way it sits right now we have question marks about Davis and an over abundance of outfielders. I'd hate to see them dump Murphy, Cruz or Borbon since they are all very young and don't cost much. Hell put Murphy at first.
He's old, you can't compare the two.

0 GT 2 is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm going Commando
 
RyanB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: 469-323-7873
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
He's old, you can't compare the two.
Vlad: Born: February 9, 1975
Lowell: Born: February 24, 1974

Sorry for the comparison.
RyanB is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Texan
 
0 GT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
Vlad: Born: February 9, 1975
Lowell: Born: February 24, 1974

Sorry for the comparison.
Read the thread jackass, we're talking about different people. Nice one though.

0 GT 2 is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 08:34 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns
 
BP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: At the Dexter Lake Club
Posts: 12,422
Man I used to love going to Indians games and playing Garko - Polo, looks like I can do it at all the games now.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/ar...=.jsp&c_id=tex

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
BP is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2010, 02:41 AM
Texan
 
0 GT 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Parker, TX
Posts: 3,684
0 GT 2 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome