My son hit his first homerun yesterday - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

My son hit his first homerun yesterday

My 8yr old plays select baseball...handpicked team that travels around playing in tournaments. At the tournament yesterday he came up to bat in the first inning with the bases full. First pitch he cracked over the left field fence for a grand slam....which is 200ft away! (He is pretty big for his age though...5ft and 110lbs) The whole crowd and his team went nuts. Nobody had hit it out of that field at this level before. The boy was high as a kite rounding the bases and hit whole team met him at the plate...my wife was so excited that she didnt get any pics after he hit it. The other team jumped the fence and got the ball for him...I thought that was nice. Oh, and he slept with the ball last night! I am gonna get a trophy frame for the ball tomorrow. Just thought I would brag a bit...

Do you remember your first HR? I hit several, but never hit a grand slam!
Here are the only twho pics my wife got of the at bat...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:24 AM
Out

Going yard @ 200' and only eight years old?!?! That's fantastic!!! I went yard for the first time at 14 in my second freshman game (also sat the bench in varsity). My son first did it at 12 @ 225' in Cedar Hill.

Definately something to remember!
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Going yard @ 200' and only eight years old?!?! That's fantastic!!! I went yard for the first time at 14 in my second freshman game (also sat the bench in varsity). My son first did it at 12 @ 225' in Cedar Hill.

Definately something to remember!
Yeah...I am so proud of him. A couple days before the game he came to me and told me of a dream that he had where he hit a grand slam...a few days later he did it! Crazy. Look at him though...he is as big as a 12yr old. The kid playing catcher in the pics is 9mos older than Colby.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Oh, and the ball cleared that fence by a good 20ft...it hit a car in the parking lot!
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Congrats! I'm always proud to see my son competing - Giving it all he's got.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 AM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Congrats pops! Makes you feel damn good when your kids succeed even your expectations.
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Clown

Love that second pic.....It's the Lance Berkman goodbye look.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 06:00 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I didn't hit my first homerun until 3? 4? years ago (had a few that were just a few feet foul, or off the top of the fence in high school), and had a few more last year. It's an awesome feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

LOL...the little slugger did it again today and much bigger!!! He hit the top of the scoreboard out in left field which is 30ft above the ground and 10ft behind the fence!!! I got the swing and the homeplate meeting...as well as a couple other pics. He went 6 for 6 with a HR, a double and 4 singles...he also had 7RBIs. Yup...I am proud.

Waiting on the HR pitch

HR swing

Homeplate meeting

His swing on his double
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Resident Epicurean

Damn!!! My boy just had pinto tryouts yesterday (he's 8). This will be his first season.

Your kid is huge, Dave! Kenny is only 54ish inches and about 60 lbs...

I'm still trying to figure out how to help him with a sport I never had interest in. I played everything BUT baseball.
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Damn!!! My boy just had pinto tryouts yesterday (he's 8). This will be his first season.

Your kid is huge, Dave! Kenny is only 54ish inches and about 60 lbs...

I'm still trying to figure out how to help him with a sport I never had interest in. I played everything BUT baseball.
One of the kids on his team is about that size and is the best athlete on the team...get him private lessons if you can afford it and throw with him at home as often as possible. They are fast learners and he will pick it up fast. Also, you should take him to the batting cages often...the machine in that league pitches 42mph. Just let him learn at his pace and make it fun for him and he will do well.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 08:55 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
One of the kids on his team is about that size and is the best athlete on the team...get him private lessons if you can afford it and throw with him at home as often as possible. They are fast learners and he will pick it up fast. Also, you should take him to the batting cages often...the machine in that league pitches 42mph. Just let him learn at his pace and make it fun for him and he will do well.
Oh yeah, he is VERY athletic. And competitive. He's got a strong arm, and is fast. His only real trouble is swinging at everything that comes his way. He was the only kid at tryouts that they had play a position twice, which was third base. I'm assuming because he was the best at not letting the ball get past him and the only one that was consistently and accurately throwing from third to first.

I'm going to start looking for a proper bat, and then will get him to the cages once we find something. The bat he has currently is a hand me down and is too big for him. Luckily, my brother in law is a lifelong bb junky, and a hell of a pitcher. He's going to help him with his swing. I've been throwing with him nightly until my shoulder starts talking back.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

If he is playing senior leage get him the big barreled 2-3/4 Easton Stealth composite in 28/18...if it is little league then they have to use the 2-1/4 Easton Stealth. Go to www.cheapbats.com for good deals...get ready to spend some cash as this hobby isnt cheap!
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:14 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
If he is playing senior leage get him the big barreled 2-3/4 Easton Stealth composite in 28/18...if it is little league then they have to use the 2-1/4 Easton Stealth. Go to www.cheapbats.com for good deals...get ready to spend some cash as this hobby isnt cheap!
You are speakng Greek. Senior league? I don't know WTF it is. IBBA pinto is all I know.
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 09:33 PM
T-MINUS

Keep pumping him full of the good HGH Doc!

That's awesome though, how long has he been playing? Any tips? My boy is 18 months and I'm already working with him

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

He played T-ball at 5, machine pitch at 6...skipped a season to do the motocross thing and then at 8 he is on a select team. Let him grow some before concerning yourself with sports! HGH? He would be 6ft by now if I did that! I wonder how big this boy is gonna get?

Brent, senior league is where they can use whatever bat they want and it is coach pitch...the teams are hand-picked and they travel around the state playing in tournaments. I dont know what Pinto league is but I assume its little league, machine pitch?
post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
He played T-ball at 5, machine pitch at 6...skipped a season to do the motocross thing and then at 8 he is on a select team. Let him grow some before concerning yourself with sports! HGH? He would be 6ft by now if I did that! I wonder how big this boy is gonna get?

Brent, senior league is where they can use whatever bat they want and it is coach pitch...the teams are hand-picked and they travel around the state playing in tournaments. I dont know what Pinto league is but I assume its little league, machine pitch?
I'm new to all this, but he had tryouts with 15-20 other kids. All the coaches were there, because it's a draft system so they were scouting. Pinto is age range, 7-8. Mustang is next. Not sure where it goes from there. I'm confused on the pitching arrangements. It's supposed to be coach pitch, but they were going to use the machine for tryouts. I guess they never could get it dialed in because they laid it down and a coach did the pitching.
post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Must be different than down here. If you are allowed to use the 2-3/4 bats get him the Easton Stealth composite or the Worth Lithium. Colby has the Lithium and it is hot...but so is the Stealth.
Here is the Easton...you can probably find the 2009 or 2010 model cheaper somewhere like Ebay.
http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/2010-e...3-c-25_86.html

Here is the Lithium my son uses...Colby has the 30/20, but your kid will probably need the 28/18.
http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/2011-w...-c-25_158.html
post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:13 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:

He, at 18 months is already into sports. He'll watch sports on TV and try to emulate what he sees.

I had him with me on my Kawi yesterday riding around the field, so he may end up doing the motocross thing as well. I'd stop and he'd start pointing forward and saying 'go dada'

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Time Served

I played baseball all growing up and chose to play football full-time as a junior in highschool because I was getting more looks for college playing football than baseball. Some good words of advice for your son: @ that age and being that big, make sure he knows to be relaxed everytime he steps to the plate and he will smash baseballs beyond belief. If he starts trying to kill baseballs @ the plate, he will get frustrated by not hitting it out everytime. If he stays relaxed, he WILL be very successfull in baseball or any sport he chooses.
PS your son is huge for being 8 yrs. old. He reminds me of a kid I played football with at 8 and he now is going to be a potential draft pick in this years NFL draft. He was a TE for LSU and he dominated every sport he played. Good luck to him (your son).

Living life well..
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
He, at 18 months is already into sports. He'll watch sports on TV and try to emulate what he sees.

I had him with me on my Kawi yesterday riding around the field, so he may end up doing the motocross thing as well. I'd stop and he'd start pointing forward and saying 'go dada'
Thats both of my boys at that age. Colby has been riding MX since before he was 3. Cannon turns 3 on the 31st and we are getting him a PW50. I have been doing it since age 6 or 7. Its a sport that my family will always do in some capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatdowninTx View Post
I played baseball all growing up and chose to play football full-time as a junior in highschool because I was getting more looks for college playing football than baseball. Some good words of advice for your son: @ that age and being that big, make sure he knows to be relaxed everytime he steps to the plate and he will smash baseballs beyond belief. If he starts trying to kill baseballs @ the plate, he will get frustrated by not hitting it out everytime. If he stays relaxed, he WILL be very successfull in baseball or any sport he chooses.
PS your son is huge for being 8 yrs. old. He reminds me of a kid I played football with at 8 and he now is going to be a potential draft pick in this years NFL draft. He was a TE for LSU and he dominated every sport he played. Good luck to him (your son).
Cool...my son is good at any sport he tries. He can throw a football with a spiral over 30yds right now and can hit a golfball 200yds with his driver. We support whatever sport he wants to play. Who is your friend at LSU? I went to school there and my son wants to play baseball and football there.
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Out

Dave, I'm sure you've already got a handle on this, but PLEASE keep your interest in this. Get him to cages, go out and tos the ball around after school over a good conversation of how the day went, have some of his friends over for sleep overs so they can watch some games on TV or go to an Astro's game, stay excited about the season by teaching him stats and stay up with it, etc.

I'm actually speaking to anyone with a kids in sports. I was DAMNED good at baseball. I was small, fast, hell of an infielder and always had the highest batting average around. Being kid #3 out of 4, my parents just didn't get that into it with me or my progress. Long story short, I quit the team my Jr year (as captain) and decided to work as many hours as possible at a stupid fried chicken place so that I could play more with my car. I kick myself all the time... all the time. Now, I do my best to support my son AND his friends. I coach when I can (in and out of Iraq has screwed a few seasons).
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Yup...we throw the ball often and go to the cages on a regular basis. My dad didnt spend much time with me when I was growing up either since he was always working. I wont be like that.
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Must be different than down here. If you are allowed to use the 2-3/4 bats get him the Easton Stealth composite or the Worth Lithium. Colby has the Lithium and it is hot...but so is the Stealth.
Here is the Easton...you can probably find the 2009 or 2010 model cheaper somewhere like Ebay.
http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/2010-e...3-c-25_86.html

Here is the Lithium my son uses...Colby has the 30/20, but your kid will probably need the 28/18.
http://www.cheapbats.com/shop/2011-w...-c-25_158.html

This is the only thing I can find in the rule book, that pertains to bats. I guess I'll just wait to hear from a coach, and go from there.

"Aluminum bats are approved, but they must have updated knobs for proper style per Federal
regulations. Use of aluminum bats is not mandatory in all leagues. No SOFTBALL bats are
allowed for play at any level."
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Out

Quote:
This is the only thing I can find in the rule book, that pertains to bats. I guess I'll just wait to hear from a coach, and go from there.

"Aluminum bats are approved, but they must have updated knobs for proper style per Federal
regulations. Use of aluminum bats is not mandatory in all leagues. No SOFTBALL bats are
allowed for play at any level."
They can use approve aluminum, composite or wood up to 2 3/4" diameter until they get to HS, then the requirements change. The best way to relieve all doubt is to go by the approvals printed on the bat.

I never got my son a 2 3/4 because I didn't want him to get used to it.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

My son has the 2-3/4" bat but he also plays peewee ball where they have to use the 2-1/4" barrel. So he is used to both. But the big barrel bats sure are hot!!!
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Out

Trey is gonna hate going to a -3 next year. LOL!!!
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:16 AM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Sailor View Post
Congrats pops! Makes you feel damn good when your kids succeed even your expectations.
succeed even your expectations? :facepalm:
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
succeed even your expectations? :facepalm:
Facepalm all you want. When our kids are bettering our betterness of our childhoodship is the awesomeness!
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM
mannish boy

all the gloating is a bit successive, no?
post #31 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Thats both of my boys at that age. Colby has been riding MX since before he was 3. Cannon turns 3 on the 31st and we are getting him a PW50. I have been doing it since age 6 or 7. Its a sport that my family will always do in some capacity.

Cool...my son is good at any sport he tries. He can throw a football with a spiral over 30yds right now and can hit a golfball 200yds with his driver. We support whatever sport he wants to play. Who is your friend at LSU? I went to school there and my son wants to play baseball and football there.

Richard Dickson. He started in 07-08 08-09 and 09-10 seasons and played in the 2008 national title game with a couple TD's.

Living life well..
post #32 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
all the gloating is a bit successive, no?
not a parent?
post #33 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Bitter Italian

post #34 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:28 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
not a parent?
not a graduate of 3rd grade?
post #35 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:

His swing on his double

HR swing
damn dave! it's easy to believe with these swings. the mechanics are perfect and add that to his size and the aluminum bats... i bet the ball explodes off the bat.

he's going to seriously hurt someone if he drives a ball straight back up the middle at a pitcher. sadly the more your team is scouted, they will probably stop giving him pitches to hit.

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #36 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Hey man,
Youre not normally antagnostic towards me so can you clarify what you meant on your posts? My intentions for starting this thread was not to gloat...I am just proud of my son and figured I would post the experience up because I know others have kids that play ball and I have been on here a while and figured at least a few would want to hear about it.
post #37 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:

I was asking a legitimate question. I'm not sure where the 3rd grade comment came from.
post #38 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Resident Epicurean

Dave, pipe down.

Stinginstang, go back and re-read Lone Sailor's post and you'll know what he means.

lmfao. Good job, Forrest.
post #39 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
damn dave! it's easy to believe with these swings. the mechanics are perfect and add that to his size and the aluminum bats... i bet the ball explodes off the bat.

he's going to seriously hurt someone if he drives a ball straight back up the middle at a pitcher. sadly the more your team is scouted, they will probably stop giving him pitches to hit.
That 2nd homerun he hit would have cleared a 250ft fence...it came off the bat like a rocket. We work on his swing pretty regularly.
post #40 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Dave, pipe down.

Stinginstang, go back and re-read Lone Sailor's post and you'll know what he means.

lmfao. Good job, Forrest.
I guess I missed the point...
post #41 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Worship me

That kid has a lot going for him. Good size, good technique and thank God he doesn't look anything like Davbrucas!

My two year old is big for his age and I am hoping he can do as good as that.
post #42 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Lifer

what team does your son play with?? He is a big boy!! my 8 yr old is 4'6" and 75 lbs

WHATEVER IT TAKES!!
post #43 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Hunt James for President

Quote:
That 2nd homerun he hit would have cleared a 250ft fence...it came off the bat like a rocket. We work on his swing pretty regularly.
do they use the 2 5/8 inch barrell bats?

95 Rio Red Cobra#3881
http://obamaclock.org
post #44 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
That kid has a lot going for him. Good size, good technique and thank God he doesn't look anything like Davbrucas!

My two year old is big for his age and I am hoping he can do as good as that.
Whatever...he looks just like me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVazquez View Post
what team does your son play with?? He is a big boy!! my 8 yr old is 4'6" and 75 lbs
We play in Houston for the Texas Nationals' 8U Select team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by openroadracer3 View Post
do they use the 2 5/8 inch barrell bats?
2-3/4"
post #45 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Improper usage of succed vs exceed. Come on Doc. Stop reading chicken scratch Dr speak, and get back to plain old English!
post #46 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:17 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
"succeed" does not = "exceed"

didn't mean to trash your thread I figured the one quick joke would be enough, but they kept floating out the easy pitches, so I had to swing at them!

your kid's a monster. reminds me of my nephew... only smaller

my nephew is 12yrs old, is 6'1" and wears a size 14

unfortunately for him, the only sport he's good at is playing video games and telling his teachers to fuck off
post #47 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Improper usage of succed vs exceed. Come on Doc. Stop reading chicken scratch Dr speak, and get back to plain old English!
I dont go into each thread I enter to look for points to fuck with others about so I miss things like this from time to time...
post #48 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Lifer

I can see how you can be proud of him. That is VERY impressive hitting.

My 6 year old is about to start his 2nd year of baseball. Last year, he did good in baseball and football and was a natural, but he is small in size, which will hurt him. He has more of a running back build. He only weighs 60 lbs. I've been waiting on his growth spurt to kick in.
post #49 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:38 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
I dont go into each thread I enter to look for points to fuck with others about so I miss things like this from time to time...
clearly I didn't enter the thread to fuck with someone, but I couldn't help myself
post #50 of 70 (permalink) Old 03-08-2010, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Its cool...I see what you meant. I missed the succeed/exceed thing as I dont even think I read that post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement