Taylor Mays Safety USC - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Taylor Mays Safety USC

What do ya'll think about him? I've been watching him for a little while now and this kid hit's really hard.... Ran a 4.43 today, fastest defensive player. I've also seen in a few mock drafts he might go to Dallas.

New Orleans Saints 16-3 Super Bowl Champions 2010!!!!

Super Bowl 2011 preview

(6-3-0) New Orleans Saints......................(3-6-0) Denver Broncos
Dallas Cowboys fucking suck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAjeff View Post
What do ya'll think about him? I've been watching him for a little while now and this kid hit's really hard.... Ran a 4.43 today, fastest defensive player. I've also seen in a few mock drafts he might go to Dallas.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to think he will wind up here. Kid looks good, and has a lot of potential, but throughout the first 1:45 of that video, not even ONCE did he even attempt to wrap up a tackle. No thanks. He's got Roy Williams-itis. He won't last long in the NFL, and will get the same rep Roy got, if all he does is try to knock someone's fucking head off every time he hits them. Don't get me wrong, it's great entertainment. However, he isn't in college anymore. He pulls that shit too often in the NFL, and he will get run the fuck over by people. Sure he will have some great hits here and there, but he will get burned far more times than not. Just ask Roy...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Yeah, a lot of people seem to think he will wind up here. Kid looks good, and has a lot of potential, but throughout the first 1:45 of that video, not even ONCE did he even attempt to wrap up a tackle. No thanks. He's got Roy Williams-itis. He won't last long in the NFL, and will get the same rep Roy got, if all he does is try to knock someone's fucking head off every time he hits them. Don't get me wrong, it's great entertainment. However, he isn't in college anymore. He pulls that shit too often in the NFL, and he will get run the fuck over by people. Sure he will have some great hits here and there, but he will get burned far more times than not. Just ask Roy...
You pretty much hit that right on the money.. Well said.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Lifer

My little 6 year old runs 5.80 in the 40.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM
GoT mIlK

Quote:
Originally Posted by line-em-up View Post
My little 6 year old runs 5.80 in the 40.
seriously? thats bad ass

sLoW 5.0 waitin on parts...

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo89cpe View Post
seriously? thats bad ass
Last summer, during peewee football training camp he ran a 5.80 and backed it up with a 5.81. The next fastest kid to him ran a 6.70. Most of the boys ran in 8-9 sec range and the slowest ran in the 12-13 second range. The funny thing is that he was the shortest and almost the smallest kid on his team, yet he could hit hard enough to knock people into the air when he hit them.

During T-ball and peewee football last year, I don't think I went through one game or practice without someone mentioning how fast he is. Both of his coaches said he will be highly sought after if he works hard to improve himself. I'm proud of him.

Last edited by line-em-up; 03-03-2010 at 01:35 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:21 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
From
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=si_nfl

Seems very bizarre to me that someone could be that fast going forward and that inept going backwards - especially someone playing DB at a major DI university.

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL decision makers and scouts gathered at Lucas Oil Stadium today for the final day of the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine. They were on hand to watch the 58 defensive backs who were invited to work out.

Taylor Mays' workout at the combine will be one talked about for a long time, and with good reason. After weighing in at 230 pounds, Mays completed 24 reps on the bench press, then ran a 40 that most scouts clocked at 4.32 seconds. Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.

During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.

Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0h8meeqX0
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
From
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...tml?xid=si_nfl

Seems very bizarre to me that someone could be that fast going forward and that inept going backwards - especially someone playing DB at a major DI university.

INDIANAPOLIS -- NFL decision makers and scouts gathered at Lucas Oil Stadium today for the final day of the 2010 NFL Scouting Combine. They were on hand to watch the 58 defensive backs who were invited to work out.

Taylor Mays' workout at the combine will be one talked about for a long time, and with good reason. After weighing in at 230 pounds, Mays completed 24 reps on the bench press, then ran a 40 that most scouts clocked at 4.32 seconds. Normally those numbers would elevate a prospect towards the top of the draft, but we contend that won't be the case with Mays.

During drills, Mays was in poor form. As fast as he was moving forwards, Mays was terribly slow moving in reverse. It was similar to his performance at the Senior Bowl in January. Mays looked uncomfortable backpedaling during drills and one scout called his defensive back fundamentals "just bad." When asked to change direction, Mays would come to a complete stop then start up again. The contrast between Mays and players such as Earl Thomas and T.J. Ward, who lost little momentum changing direction, was striking.

Poor performances in Mobile and Indianapolis do not mean Mays won't be productive in the NFL. It does mean he will be limited to certain systems that don't require him to play man coverage or make plays sideline-to-sideline. In other words Mays is likely to go later in the draft than someone with his measurables usually would.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz0h8meeqX0
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
Someone is going to get a steal of a pick honestly if the right team picks him up.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 02:46 PM
Fear the Stashe

dude cant cover.. so not really needed here...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:08 PM
you m-m-m-m-make me happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDAjeff View Post
Someone is going to get a steal of a pick honestly if the right team picks him up.
I just don't see what can be done with a DB who can't backpeddle or change direction. Maybe he can play deep safety in the prevent
D.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinginstang View Post
I just don't see what can be done with a DB who can't backpeddle or change direction. Maybe he can play deep safety in the prevent
D.
He's a saftey not a corner back anyways.

Super Bowl 2011 preview

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

After hearing this I don't want him on the Eagles.

No team in the NFC East should want him. All teams in this division force the opposing team's safties to play man cover ALOT. All teams have great RB's out of the backfield, great Tight Ends, and good slot and deep threat receivers. A safety that can't cover is done in this division.

I bet he's a beast in run support or cover 2 defense. And hell, maybe he can fix his faults fast..... He obviously has some skills.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Fear the Stashe

Physical freak who cant cover..

If the cowboys were a 4-3 and was looking for an OLB i'd be for this guy.. but he's pretty horrible.

I mean he'd be Roy Williams 2.0 for us at SS.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 05:13 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
Physical freak who cant cover..

If the cowboys were a 4-3 and was looking for an OLB i'd be for this guy.. but he's pretty horrible.

I mean he'd be Roy Williams 2.0 for us at SS.
Like your post was bcoop 2.0?

hahaha, I'm just fucking with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement