Mavs/Wizards Trade....Later Josh - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Mavs/Wizards Trade....Later Josh

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...ory?id=4909238

I'm not a Mavs fans but I do like Caron Butler...If this happens the Mavs will be a better team.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
Time Served

I'm ok with it. Everyone keeps talking about the big names in FA this Summer but realistically those guys aren't coming here. LeBron isn't coming to Dallas and neither is Wade. Bosch is a possibility but why bother?

If anything this trade will probably energize the Mavs and that's ok with me. They need some more youth in the rotation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Licking the windows!

DO NOT LIKE...

don't want Stevenson, don't care about Haywood....Bustler is okay, but not at the expense of Josh and Gooden..

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:14 PM
gear jammer

I like it. JHo has showed nothing the past two years and really looks like he doesn't even want to be out there half the time. Haywood is another big 7 footer who can back up Dampier if not play ahead of him.

I hate Stevenson but lets hope he just rots on the bench. I dont see him getting much time in front of Barea and Roddy.

I do hate to see Gooden go. He played really good while here but i see it to make the numbers work.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
dead

i dont like the trade. im fine with losing howard but this trade doesnt make you a winning playoff team this year so why do it? all this trade does is screw up $15M in cap for next year which helps fuck us this summer.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MireFire 2.0 View Post
DO NOT LIKE...

don't want Stevenson, don't care about Haywood....Bustler is okay, but not at the expense of Josh and Gooden..
Howard is done here in Dallas...his play sucks. Butler is okay!..lol Caron has game
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
i dont like the trade. im fine with losing howard but this trade doesnt make you a winning playoff team this year so why do it? all this trade does is screw up $15M in cap for next year which helps fuck us this summer.
True...but it does get rid of a player that doesn't won't to play.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Time Served

dallas has no need for howard with marion here. howards ankle have shown to be a continuous problem.like howard but this move would benefit dallas more for their team needs
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Done Deal....

Nice job Cuban!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm going Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
x2

The inclusion of Stevenson is what makes me hate this trade. Howard/Butler make the same money next year, and the Mavs are the oldest team in the league but this doesn't help the Mavs take down the West...
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 PM
Crackalack!

It's Official! Mavs Announce Seven-Player Trade
Dallas Gets Upgrade, Ships Out Josh, Gooden, Singleton And Ross
By Mike Fisher -- DB.com

It's official: The Mavericks just announced that they have acquired forward Caron Butler, center Brendan haywood, guard DeShaw Stevenson and cash from the Washington Wizards in exchange for forward Josh Howard, center Drew Gooden, forward James Singleton and guard Quinton Ross.

“We are more than excited to welcome Caron, Brendan and DeShawn to the Mavericks family,” President of Utopia Donnie Nelson said. “Caron is an established professional and an All-Star with the ability to score from anywhere on the floor. Brendan with solidify our center position with athleticism, shot blocking and defense. DeShawn has also shown that he can be a talented asset to this team.”

Butler (6-7, 228) is a seven-year veteran who holds career averages of 16.7 points and 6.0 rebounds to go along with 3.0 assists, 1.7 steals and 36.7 minutes in 533 games (500 starts). Butler has played for Miami, L.A. Lakers and Washington – where he was a two-time NBA All-Star (2007, 2008). This season, Butler has started each of his 47 games with the Wizards and is averaging 16.9 points, 6.7 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.5 steals.

A native of Racine, Wis., Butler attended the University of Connecticut. In his sophomore campaign, Butler averaged 20.3 points and 7.5 rebounds on his way to Co-Big East Player of Year and All-America Second Team honors. He was an early-entry candidate into the 2002 NBA Draft where he was selected 10th overall by the Heat.

Haywood (7-0, 263) arrives from Washington as the longest-tenured Wizard. Haywood, drafted by Washington out of the University of North Carolina in 2001, has played for the Wizards in 579 games ranking third all-time in franchise history in field-goal percentage (.561), fourth all-time in blocked shots and sixth all-time in rebounds and games played. The Greensboro, N.C., native holds career averages of 7.7 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks per game.

Stevenson (6-5, 218) is a ninth-year guard out of Washington Union High School in Fresno, Calif., where he averaged 30.4 points, 9.7 rebounds and 6.2 assists as a senior. Stevenson was originally the 23rd overall pick in the 2000 NBA Draft by the Utah Jazz. Stevenson comes to Dallas having played in 621 games (422 starts) with career averages of 8.2 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.9 assists in 23.9 minutes with Utah, Orlando and Washington.

Dallas parts ways with Howard after drafting him in the first round of the 2003 NBA Draft. Howard is the second-longest tenured Maverick behind Dirk Nowitzki and played 431 games in Dallas. Gooden and Ross were both in their first season with Dallas, while Singleton was re-signed last summer after he came to Dallas in 2008.

“We would like to thank these four players for their valuable contributions,” Nelson said. “It is especially difficult to part with Josh. He began his career as a Maverick and we have watched him grow. We appreciate what Josh has helped this franchise accomplish.” A couple of questions remain, in terms of some of the "loose ends'' we've discussed in recent hours. Examples: This deal is saving Washington room for the future but isn't offering short-term savings. And what about that Trade Exception the Mavs can offer? We'll assume the Mavs are working to find value for it elsewhere ... but that's a secondary focus.

Right now, as far as they're concerned, they've got a blockbuster trade to celebrate.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
x2

The inclusion of Stevenson is what makes me hate this trade. Howard/Butler make the same money next year, and the Mavs are the oldest team in the league but this doesn't help the Mavs take down the West...
True..but the Mavs are a better team and they get rid of a shitty player.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 PM
gear jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB View Post
x2

I agree i cant stand the guy either but lets hope he never sees action or is sent in another trade at a later date. I am not too familiar with Butler since he played on the east coast but his numbers are better than Jho. Honestly, Jho has been washed up with the mavs since the pot smoking admission

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I agree i cant stand the guy either but lets hope he never sees action or is sent in another trade at a later date. I am not too familiar with Butler since he played on the east coast but his numbers are better than Jho. Honestly, Jho has been washed up with the mavs since he got paid his money
fixed
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
LUCIFER

Why, that's my question about this deal. They could have waited till the summer with better options becoming available and had more leverage to make some deals. It always seems like Cuban is trying to make a quick fix with his deals. I don't like it

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:24 PM
Licking the windows!

I just don't like it at all... might just be a feeling, but I do not think we upgraded at ALL.

We should have never given away Gooden or Singleton to make this happen. Josh for Caron, sure who cares...pretty much a wash when they are both healthy and playing right. But to add in all the other players, just to make the $$ work because the Wizards wouldn't just give us Caron is stupid. Fuck having to take Haywood and their trash Stevenson... thats just crap.

And for the record -

JHO
6'7" 210 drafted 2003
Career 15.3 PTS per game, 45% FG, 34% 3pt, 77% FT, 6 RB, 1.7 AST

Caron
6'7" 213 drafted 2002
Career 16.7 PTS per game, 44% FG, 31% 3pt, 85% FT, 6 RB, 3.0 AST

Losing
Gooden
Singleton
Ross

Gaining
Haywood
Stevenson

Just do not like it.

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:03 AM
In the Batter's Box

Its about time Howard is gone, he should of been traded a long time ago. Losing Gooden is going to hurt though. I am curious to see how they finish up the season now. I still dont see them getting by the Lakers but I think they will Match up better against Denver.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
Crackalack!

You guys don't understand that Haywood wasn't a "throw-in" but a KEY part of the trade that WE wanted from the very beginning. They wanted to throw in Stevenson's shitty contract, so we told them that we'd put in Gooden if they'd put in Haywood. The reality is we wanted Haywood all along. He's basically a young Damp. This not only helps us NOW, but also in the summer when we trade Damp's expiring contract for a stud. We've already got the younger, most-likely better (I'm gonna hold out on this one until I see some on-court action) center that 1) is a real center 2) is better than Gooden and 3) can replace Damp in the summer of '10. Stevenson was required in order to get Haywood.

PS- You can't tell me that these aren't healthy Damp-like numbers:
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brenda...ood/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement