Jho gone? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Jho gone?

Over on Dallasnews. Opinions? I'm not really familiar with any of the Wizards roster, so I'm not sure what to think yet if this deal goes down.

The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The deal is not done. But a source said that the pieces of the trade have been tentatively agreed upon.

The trade would require league approval, which could take until after All-Star Weekend.

The Mavericks and Wizards have been trade partners before, when Dallas acquired Devin Harris and Jerry Stackhouse for Antawn Jamison in 2004. That was a trade that both teams viewed as a success.

Washington apparently has become resigned to the fact that Haywood, their center who is having a solid season, would not re-sign this summer when he is a free agent.

That, plus the fact that the Wizards will save a ton of money if the deal goes down, is their motivation.

The Mavericks drafted Howard in 2003 and he has enjoyed great successes, although he has been prone to controversial moments.

He's been struggling this year to recover from off-season ankle surgery but has played well lately. Next season, his contract is a team option, which could yield a payroll savings of $11 million for the Wizards.

--Eddie Sefko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM

Looking like its gonna happen - I like the deal. I like Josh, but he is in a big funk right now. At one point, I though he was giving Dirk a run for his money as mvp of this team - that seems like ages ago now, with no relief in sight. Caron is stuck on a bad bad team, and a change of scenery might be just what the dr. ordered for him. (or for both of them)

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.co...38893/20045306

DALLAS -- After weeks of discussions, taking the Wizards through various trade proposals that would put them on the path to rebuilding, Washington has revived a deal that would send Caron Butler to the Mavericks for Josh Howard, CBSSpports.com has learned.

The deal "looks like it will go through," according to a person with direct knowledge of the discussions. The Butler-for-Howard scenario was revived in the past 48 hours after Dallas owner Mark Cuban initially balked at the idea, the source said.

The Wizards were deeply involved in discussions with Boston that would've sent Butler and Brendan Haywood to the Celtics for Ray Allen, but that deal apparently died for a combination of reasons. The Wizards were reluctant to include Antawn Jamison in the swap, and the Celtics were concerned about taking on large contracts as they try to position themselves to remain a threat down the stretch and also to improve in future seasons.

Barring a snag, Butler would add to the Mavs' offensive potency -- assuming he will return to his previous All-Star level with a change of scenery.

Howard was virtually a lock to be traded before the Feb. 18 deadline because he's unhappy with his role and has a team option for next season at $11.8 million.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Time Served

i like the trade also

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Texan

Give a warm welcome to your newest Mav!

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Licking the windows!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
Give a warm welcome to your newest Mav!

What a fucking douchebag...

"Friends" help you move......."Real Friends" help you move bodies!

GIFSoup
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Do his teefises really say "Poppa Smurf?"

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Yep, this trade is approved, pending physicals.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
dead

heard and seen enough all weekend that shows that this is a good trade for the mavs. looks like moving howard was a must.

hopefully norm talks about the cap impact later today.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM
dead

norm did a quick break down of what this trade means for those interested in free agency moves for the summer.

even though we are 15m deeper in cap for next season, the trade isn't actually going to hurt the mavs, if anything it might help. apparently if we wanted to deal howard this summer we would have to pick up (renew) his contract just to trade him away.

Butler only has 1 year left after this season, if he didnt work out, it's easier to move him and his 1 year expiring contract rather than to resign and trade howard. plus he is much more appealing for a trade than howard is.

everything looks positive here. i was worried about us shooting our cap in the foot for next year but we still have the room to chase a marquee free agent next season as long as we have dampier for a sign and trade.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 AM
LUCIFER

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo stallion View Post
everything looks positive here. i was worried about us shooting our cap in the foot for next year but we still have the room to chase a marquee free agent next season as long as we have dampier for a sign and trade.

Definitely good to hear.

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 02:18 PM
gear jammer

Yes and you can bet they move Dampier this summer in a deal. Even though next years free agent class looks outstanding, truth be told just about everyone is probably going to stay where they are at. Remember, we also have to work out a new deal with Dirk. I still like this trade minus Stevenson.

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Fear the Stashe

i'm liking this trade.. Caron Butler is very underrated..

and now we have better depth and size
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

And Gooden is on the move again. He was traded to the Clippers today when Jamison went to the Cavs in a 3 team trade. And it is said that the Clips are gonna buy Gooden out. I would like to see him return to Dallas.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:53 AM
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
And Gooden is on the move again. He was traded to the Clippers today when Jamison went to the Cavs in a 3 team trade. And it is said that the Clips are gonna buy Gooden out. I would like to see him return to Dallas.
Yeah would def love him being back here...
He would be a better backup for Dirk imo against the more athletic big guys.

Haywood is the real deal at center and you know Damp is just shaking his head saying " i'm never gonna start again " HAHAHA
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I'm # 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_marc View Post
I would like to see him back as well. He has had a solid season here.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Well, Damp is out for a while with a bum finger. I'd like to see Gooden come back and have a 2 headed center tandem of Haywood and Gooden.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Lifer

Good to see that kinda attitude gone.

Josh Howard happy to 'stick it' to the Mavericks, says he was unfairly blamed

Josh Howard played his first game with the Washington Wizards since being traded by the Mavericks, and he smiled as he made his postgame comments.

"It meant a lot, coming to a new organization and show them that I want to be here, plus stick it to the Mavs," Howard said after the Wizards beat the Timberwolves 108-99 on Wednesday night.. "I'm happy now, you don't have to worry about me saying nothing else about them now."

Howard did not start but entered the game early in the first quarter. He scored 14 points in 26 minutes.

In an interview with washingtonpost.com, Howard responded to Mark Cuban and complained about being blamed for the Mavericks' problems.

Some highlights:

On Mavericks owner Mark Cuban saying he thought Howard would be "re-energized" by a change of scenery: "Whatever. It's a new start. I'm going to give it my all. As far as being reenergized, that's the question you have to ask him because I was energized when I was down there."

On being blamed for the Mavs' failures: I became "the one that they thought was the problem. The one thing that I can say is unfair, is the guy that came back from injury, came back early, still came out and gave you positive minutes and you trade him. It's that simple. If anything, you can say that's hard feelings, but other than that, it's a business."

On his time with the Mavericks, which included an NBA Finals trip: "I did a lot. I contributed to that team, but I know I helped them get to that. Even with the negative stuff, it showed me people's true colors. If I could take it all back I wouldn't. The bad things I spoke from the heart and I said it at the time and I apologized for a lot of that stuff. I deeply regret it, but those things are in the past. You can change nothing. You just have to keep moving forward and bettering yourself."

On trying to prove to the Wizards to pick up his $11.8 million option for next season: "I know I ain't going to go out there and chuck up shots to get them to sign me. I want to work for it and make them see that I want that option."

On the first thing the Wizards told him: "We wanted you. They said other teams tried to get me, but Washington got me and I'm happy. Players, sometimes, you feel like a piece of meat, they beat you up, chew you and spit you out, but it all revolves back to the business part. But that's what you get yourself into when you enter into the draft, pretty much. You just got to be ready up here. I have no problem being here. I love my new city, my new team."

"If "pro" is the opposite of "con", is "progress" the opposite of "congress"? ...Gallagher
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:38 PM
Lifer

there is a strong rumor I heard that the reason Josh Howard was traded was because he missed a game last week because he was hungover. Howard didnt start another game after that in a Maverick uniform.

Also i think Jamison going to Cleveland was a smart move for the Cavs. They get someone that can spread the floor with their shooting and can also give an inside presence. This will also help out Shaq.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 07:19 PM
gear jammer

Wow..the whole 12 or 14 points he scored against the shitty Timberwolves in his debut really "stuck" it to us. Good riddance and welcome Caron Butler. I already like this guy much better.

Yep and the hangover rumors are true. He missed the Washington game back in January with what the team termed a "stomach illness". Nice cover up

Live..ride..dream

1998 Suzuki TL1000
1983 HD FXSB
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
LUCIFER

Breaking: Wizards' Josh Howard out for season with torn ACL

When it rains, it pours.

And when it pours, it floods.

And when it floods especially in Washington, D.C. this season Wizards fans drown. They drown in a bloody mess of "why us?" tears, unloaded handguns and Oberto sweat.

Send trailers, David Stern. Send 'em now

Mike Jones, formerly of The Washington Times, is reporting on the ol' Twitter machine that Wiz coach Flip Saunders has informed him that forward Josh Howard(notes) is done for the season with a torn ACL.

Howard, who was just acquired from Dallas in a seven-player trade, injured his left knee in the team's victory over the Bulls on Monday night. Howard collided with Chicago's Flip Murray(notes) while trying to catch an outlet pass with 4:23 left in the first quarter. He fell to the floor and had to be helped off.

More bad news to come, no doubt.

UPDATE: Flip says the Wizards "will probably look around" to add someone that can "fit in without disrupting things." He added J-Ho's injury has no impact on Big Z or Mike James, and that Al Thornton would take over the starting lineup spot.

UPDATE II: Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld said Howard would have surgery once the inflammation in his knee subsides, which could be in a week or two, according to Michael Lee of The Washington Post

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Lifer

Howard has the same problem as alot of other athletes do. When they first come in the league they are hungry more because they make less. Once they get that nice big contract, all the suddon his jumper dosent fall and he gets injuries out of the blue. But Howard also had off court issues may I remind everyone. In the Summer of 2007 he said that he smokes pot in the offseason on the Micheal Irvin Show on ESPN Radio. Then it was rumored that during the 2008 playoff series against the New Orleans Hornets, Howard was more concerned about a Birthday Party after Game 5, than the game itself.

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
MFFL!

Yeah, stick it to us Howard! You sure showed us! I really thought he was trying harder in Washington too. I read how in his first game, he went into the seats chasing a loose ball and knocked some beer out of some fans hands in the process. I didn't see any of that recently from him.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Resident Epicurean

That's crazy man. You can't control what the ball do.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Lifer

Damn, Howard is more usless than Obama in DC

St. Louis Rams 4-4

post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
American Idol

Karma.

"I don't have a problem with anger, I have a problem with idiots!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement