Kumaritashvili Dies During Luge - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Kumaritashvili Dies During Luge

RIP

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/new...yhoo&type=lgns

VANCOUVER – With the crash that killed Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during a Friday morning training run, just hours before the Olympic torch was to be lit here, the Vancouver Games need to take immediate steps to assure the safety of its athletes.

It can start by canceling the luge competition altogether unless the track can be reconstructed to prevent wicked speeds from putting athletes at risk.

Kumaritashvili, 21, lost control of his sled during a practice session at the Whistler Sliding Centre. He violently caromed off of two of the track’s walls before being tossed in the air, where he spun until hitting a metal support pole. He was rushed to a local hospital, but it was too late.

Last edited by gtownGT; 02-12-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Lifer

That sucks

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS ~ FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.
IN GOD WE TRUST
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Very tragic. Here is the video. Some pics are pretty graphic.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_460474.html

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48 View Post

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:09 AM
duh...duh....duh

At this level I feel it should be more about saftey then entertainment. These are not super high paid athletes like in the NFL, NBA, ...etc. (Granted, they are not poor either - still)

I concur with slowing the course down, since it is proving (not just this one accident) to be a problem. In general, it is a fast and dangerous sport when so many people who are damned good are having problems - I would say it is the course itself. At this level the track should have some lee-way built into it. IMO.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:17 AM
Now in the ATX!!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 09:50 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48 View Post

Damn, looks like his ear almost got ripped off in one pic. RIP

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
None

88mph to 0mph in 0.0sec. No amount of padding would have helped, and even a net would have been hazardous. You go nearly 90mph on a sled with razorblades, there is not a way of "making it safe". Take away the danger, and the sliding sports – luge, bobsled and skeleton – are just sledding.

The events are not what needs to change. The problem is that in an Olympiad you have athletes who are essentially rookies on the same "field of play" as the absolute best in the world. While it is sad that he passed away, the inescapable truth is that he had no business being on what is by all accounts the fastest and most technical luge/skeleton track ever constructed.

When questions were raised abotu his experiance, The georgian prime minister said that he was from a place in Georgia with long snow sports tradition and was ranked 44th in the world luge this season. Well, great. We've got a long football tradiion here - does that make me ready to step on the field with the NFL? It's akin to taking a guy who has been streetracing for a year and entering him in the NHRA Nationals. I'm not saying he was a novice - I'm saying he wasn't at the top of his field.

There is a Ghanan skier entered in the downhill who has been skiing for 2yrs.......think about that. From Ghana. He used to be the receptionist at an indoor skiing facility in Scotland.

The olympics should be about the best of the best competing. Now, you have what are essentially privlidged kids who have the financial backing (corporate, government or personal) to train year round but can barely eek through the qualifications.

Don't dumb down the sport because you allowed someone in with little experiance or immature skill - keep them out in the first place.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:53 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
The olympics should be about the best of the best competing. Now, you have what are essentially privlidged kids who have the financial backing (corporate, government or personal) to train year round but can barely eek through the qualifications.
Unfortunately, it has been this way as long as I can remember.

I can only say I known 1 olympic possible, sadly his family was unable to afford the training/camps/schooling...etc. He was sort of a mentor/idol of mine in HS and the sport we did. My mind was made up about the olympics at that point.

I still watch and cheer for the US. However, I understand that the people up there may or may not be the "best" we have to offer.

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement