Texas leaving Big XII?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
BELIEVE, IT'S TIME!!!!

Texas leaving Big XII??

Are you kidding me?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....elimary-t.html

The Big Ten is in preliminary talks with the University of Texas to join its conference, the Lawrence Journal-World reported, citing an anonymous source.

"People will deny that, but it's accurate," the source told the newspaper.

The Big Ten is seeking a 12th team to join the conference, which would allow it to have a championship game like the Big 12 and SEC. Many think Missouri and Pittsburgh are strong candidates, but to grab a Big 12 power like the Longhorns would be a coup.

In December of 2009, the Big Ten issued a statement that the timetable for expansion was in the 12-to-18-month range.

The paper reported that Texas already receives the most TV money in the Big 12 and that geographic concerns don't carry the weight they once did because TV revenues have grown so much.

Sporting News writer Mike DeCourcey wrote in December about Texas and the Big Ten teaming up,

"No one seems to recognize the genius of this suggestion, which may be evidence of its genius. Everyone else seems to be thinking small and boring, but as I suggested not long after the Big Ten Network was conceived, Texas is the one program that could dramatically expand the money-making power of the league's cable operation."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Old School

I've heard rumors about it. Not really a fan of the move. Would they keep TX/OU AND TX/TAMU as yearly non conf games?

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 04:58 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAXX View Post
I've heard rumors about it. Not really a fan of the move. Would they keep TX/OU AND TX/TAMU as yearly non conf games?

i doubt it

this has been rumored for awhile now. So has Pitt joining the big10

Also, rumored is Colorado going to the pac10

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 05:04 PM
emg
Time Served

this is retarded if it happens. i hate Texas, but i know Texas would win that conference every year, the big 10 is crap. they need to pick a different school, that's not in the Big 12.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Meeeeooowww

Please no.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM
Lifer

UNT can take UT's place. LMAO

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
UNT can take UT's place. LMAO
I think if UT leaves TCU should join. Hell, i'd like to see Baylor leave, UT stay and have TCU join in Baylor's place.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 06:19 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Hell, i'd like to see Baylor leave,
Ive been saying that for years. MONEY is the only reason they are there in the first place. And I agree with you, TCU would be a better BIG 12 contender.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

All rumors, won't happen. I wouldn't mind seeing it though. Big 10 has way better TV deals, larger viewing audience, more established schools/programs, and is better academically. The Big 12 really holds Texas back, and the conference would implode if Texas left. It'd be great for Texas, but I don't see it happening.

BTW, there have been rumors of several teams joining the Big 10 (ND, Pitt, Mizzou, Texas, Iowa St, Rutgers to name a few)

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 AM
I'm going Commando

ND makes the most sense (geographically) but because of their long standing and lucrative deal with NBC that will never happen. Much like ND winning a national title in the next 25 years...
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
AHMO!

I've seen the same story about Pitt...Pitt makes more sense than UT.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I've seen the same story about Pitt...Pitt makes more sense than UT.
Pitt makes more sense geographically, but it comes down to $$$. Conferences make their money off TV contacts, which means the more viewers, the more money. If the Big 10 added Pitt, would they gain market share in any new cities? Maybe Pittsburgh, but I'm willing to bet the Big 10 already dominates the Pittsburgh market with Penn St being close by.

If you add Texas to the Big 10, you instantly add Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, Austin, and most of the southwest to your viewing audience. No other school in the nation could add that much of a market if they went to a new conference. The Big 10 has dollar signs in their eyes just thinking about what adding Texas would do to their conference. This is why the rumors initially involved Mizzou, because with Mizzou come KC and StL. Adding someone like Iowa St does nothing.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:25 PM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
If this is halfway true UT will be admitting yet again they messed up with not joining UA jump to the SEC. But if UT original claim thet they don't want to open up recruiting options for out of state schools they will not join the big10 seeing as that allows schools from up north a chance to show case their schools every few years here. Not to mention the championship game will be up north and leave some UT fans out of going. If any team goes I am betting CU or Mizzu.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 05:55 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
If this is halfway true UT will be admitting yet again they messed up with not joining UA jump to the SEC. But if UT original claim thet they don't want to open up recruiting options for out of state schools they will not join the big10 seeing as that allows schools from up north a chance to show case their schools every few years here. Not to mention the championship game will be up north and leave some UT fans out of going. If any team goes I am betting CU or Mizzu.

if the big10 schools could get Texas kids, they would be doing so now. Florida and USC does so already.

I don't think the move will happen, even though maybe it should. The sec can have aggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement