Brock Lesnar - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Brock Lesnar

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
by Matt Pitt ([email protected])

When Brock Lesnar pulled out of his title defense for health reasons in October, there was little alarm: These things happen in fight sport.

The initial reports on Lesnar's illness were unfathomable to those of us in medicine, though. A robust man in his early 30s laid low by a normally trivial disease of the elderly? Many of us suspected Dana White was indulging in some over-the-top hype.

Today, the truth came out. And, for once, White’s hyperbole was insufficient for the gravity of the situation.

Diverticulitis is an infection involving the colon, generally the extreme end portion known as the distal and sigmoid colon. The normal course of the disease involves low-grade fevers, loose bloody stools and abdominal pain followed shortly by relatively easy diagnosis, treatment with oral antibiotics and swift recovery. A previously healthy individual would certainly be laid up for a week or so, and a professional fighter might be unfit for high-level training for as long as a month. But Lesnar’s diverticulitis wasn’t diagnosed early, and he was absolutely right when he stated on “SportsCenter” that he very nearly died.

The complication Lesnar suffered was a bowel perforation, a pus-forming infection eroding through the wall of the colon. If the perforation is contained, medical treatment and percutaneous drainage generally result in full recovery. If the perforation is not contained, if large volumes of pus and stool spill into the abdominal cavity, then emergency surgery is the only hope for survival and death is an expected outcome. At best a patient could expect to lose all or part of his colon and be incapacitated for years. It appears, from what Lesnar explained on “SportsCenter,” that he was diagnosed on the razor-thin border between these two extremes.

If he had gone to surgery, all or part of the colon would have been removed. The healthy bowel would be diverted to a hole in the abdominal wall -- a “fistula” -- so stool could have been drained into a colostomy bag. After a period of recovery, taking many months, it’s possible the colostomy could be reversed -- allowing normal function of the bowel -- but the recovery from this second surgery would again require several months. If reversing the colostomy were not feasible, Lesnar would have been bound to wear a colostomy bag for life; training for MMA, much less competing, would have been impossible.

The question now is what are Lesnar’s hopes of recovery? Watching him on the “SportsCenter” set, he appeared leaner than his fighting physique. He admitted to losing 40 pounds. That is almost certainly not the easy water weight that fighters sweat off making weight. Immobilized in a hospital bed, fed intravenously, the majority of Lesnar’s weight loss would be primarily lean muscle mass. How long does it take to recover? It’s impossible to know. Lesnar claimed he’s recovered 30 pounds of muscle: His career will depend on whether he can also swiftly recover his explosive speed and tremendous strength.

Beyond the physical injuries he’s sustained, some mention should be made of the psychological injury endured by a sudden confrontation with one’s own death. As George St. Pierre can attest, a battle-ready mind is arguably the most crucial of a fighter’s tools. The somber-faced, soft-spoken, introspective and almost chastened Lesnar we saw on “SportsCenter” is someone very different from the triumphant warrior exulting over the body of his fallen foe at UFC 100. Can he fight as well?

With the physical and psychological injuries he’s sustained, can the Brock Lesnar of old ever return to the cage? The answer is beyond what medical science can predict, but I suspect we’ll all get our answer this summer.

Matt Pitt is a physician with degrees in biophysics and medicine. He is board-certified in emergency medicine and has post-graduate training in head injuries and multi-system trauma. To ask a question that could be answered in a future article, e-mail him at [email protected].

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar has recovered from an illness that threatened his career and he will fight this summer.

Lesnar and UFC President Dana White ended months of speculation Wednesday when they addressed Lesnar’s health on the 11 a.m. ET edition of “SportsCenter” and stated that Lesnar will fight the winner of the March 27 interim title bout between Shane Carwin and Frank Mir.

Lesnar spoke soberly of his illness. He had been expected to fight Shane Carwin in November, but he dropped out of the bout and said Wednesday that initially he had been diagnosed with mononucleosis. However, when he took a trip to Canada to get his mind off the fight’s cancellation, he experienced severe stomach pain.

“One night I woke up and I was in severe shock,” Lesnar said. “I had a 104 temperature. I felt like I was shot in the guts.”

Lesnar returned to the U.S., where he was diagnosed at Medcenter One in Bismarck, N.D., with a severe case of diverticulosis. The champion described the disease by saying he had a hole in his stomach. He said he was given antibiotics and pain medication.

“The doctor there … wanted for me to heal myself,” Lesnar said. “Versus the other side of it, was to go in, remove part of my colon and wear a colostomy bag and pretty much end my career.”

Lesnar said he was fed through an IV during an 11-day hospital stay that saw him lose 40 pounds. He visited the Mayo Clinic next, where he said doctors suggested he needed surgery.

“Forget about the career side,” White said. “This guy was looking at a completely different life, a different quality of life if he would have needed this surgery.”

With the possibility of surgery looming, Lesnar returned to the gym. He added 30 pounds back on, and when he returned for more tests, doctors were stunned by the results.

“They were dumbfounded,” Lesnar said. “They couldn’t find any signs of any problem in my stomach. It’s just a miracle.”

Lesnar attested to the power of the mind during his “SportsCenter” interview. He thanked his family, friends and the UFC for standing by him.

“I take my hat off to the doctors at Medcenter One for saving my life and my career,” he added.

White said that the winner of the Feb. 21 bout between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez could also produce a challenger for Lesnar’s return if there is an issue with the winner of Carwin-Mir.

This article was updated at 3:16 p.m. ET after Lesnar clarified on a conference call that he had diverticulosis rather than diverticulitis.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
$uper $low

If he only returns just once, to get his ass kicked. . . . i'll be happy.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Cliffnotes : Frank Mir will be HW champ again this summer after ripping Lesnar's arm off.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
On a downward spiral

Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Cliffnotes : Frank Mir will be HW champ again this summer after ripping Lesnar's arm off.
Nah, dont think the fight will happen. Lesnar may end up fighting the winner of Nog's fight instead to give him more time to get ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof
Hopefully this storm will blow idrivea4banger's sig the fuck away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangman_2000
Someone who is able, needs to put the cock block on his ridiculous sig.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooter
and your sig causes distress in 74% of board members and 98% of migratory birds
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
No, your sig sucks like a whitegirl trying to get a promotion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivea4banger View Post
Nah, dont think the fight will happen. Lesnar may end up fighting the winner of Nog's fight instead to give him more time to get ready.
Did you not read what I posted above? White already said who ever wins between Mir/Carwin will fight Lesnar summer of 2010, most likely the Abu Dahbi card. Neither Nog or Cain have anything for Mir or Lesnar.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
On a downward spiral

Location: in the land of the crazy and the wicked; a place far far away from reality; in a distant galaxy with demonic beings, a place only known as: crooked I
Quote:
Did you not read what I posted above? White already said who ever wins between Mir/Carwin will fight Lesnar summer of 2010, most likely the Abu Dahbi card. Neither Nog or Cain have anything for Mir or Lesnar.

White said that the winner of the Feb. 21 bout between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez could also produce a challenger for Lesnar’s return if there is an issue with the winner of Carwin-Mir.

im going off of this. i dont it would be smart to try to fight so quickly after having this happen to him. nog vs velasquez would give him more time to prepare. i dont think lesnars that stupid enough to get into the ring that quick.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:

im going off of this. i dont it would be smart to try to fight so quickly after having this happen to him. nog vs velasquez would give him more time to prepare. i dont think lesnars that stupid enough to get into the ring that quick.
You underestimate Lesnar's arrogance.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Censored

Quote:
I am surprised Mir didn't visit him at the hospital, and bash him in the head with a steel chair.

Doors Done Rite
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 PM
On a downward spiral

Quote:
Jesus man, how do Mir's nuts feel???

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Now in the ATX!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
I am surprised Mir didn't visit him at the hospital, and bash him in the head with a steel chair.
Rofl
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
Yeah, the animosty between the two guys is definetly for real. Makes for a good fight though.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Jesus man, how do Mir's nuts feel???
Just the type of response I have to come to expect from you. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
On a downward spiral

Quote:
Just the type of response I have to come to expect from you. lol.

lol, when it comes to lersnar vs mir i know you're pro Mir 100%. So whens the first date???

Either way whoever Lesnar is better prepared for it should be a good fight.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:15 AM
$uper $low

You guys are both on the swings, just at different playgrounds.

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gv_3...eature=popular

Quote:
You underestimate Lesnar's abilities. Repeatedly.

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gv_3...eature=popular

You underestimate Lesnar's abilities. Repeatedly.
LOL, repeatedly? He's only had a few fights. Coming back from something like this is going to be really tough for him. He's lost valuable training time, it's enevitably changed him physically and most definetly mentally.

The bottom line is that he is less experienced, less talented, far less skilled, coming back from being very sick and possibly facing the very best, strongest Frank Mir ever.

But this is all assuming alot, all fighters have to come out healthy for a fight to happen as soon as this summer. If Mir is injured or on suspension, that means Lesnar will face winner of Nog/Val which would push the Mir rubber match back even further giving Lesnar back some VERY valuable time that he really needs.

And something that also that was recently exposed in the fight with Randy, Lesnar's chin is suspect and Mir and the rest of the division have taken notice of that.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

I agree it is suspect. Mir should have tried to capitalize on that the second time around, to no avail. All I'm saying is I read you stating the same thing over and over yet he's won every fight since his first. Then you start listing the post fight excuses as to why Lesnar won. I guess we'll see if he can get into the same shape he was in before this happened. I won't say he's going to win next fight, but with the heart he's shown I would not be surprised in the slightest if he were to dominate once again. We shall see...

Last edited by SS Junk; 01-22-2010 at 08:52 PM.
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Out

Who's going to meet up with me in Abu Dahbi for the fights?
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Out

Oh crap! I'll be in Dubai on April 10th! I'm going on matter who is on the ticket.

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/knowl...-ufc-abu-dhabi
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:18 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Oh crap! I'll be in Dubai on April 10th! I'm going on matter who is on the ticket.

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/knowl...-ufc-abu-dhabi
Let me Google that for you

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Out

Quote:
What I was trying to say is that it didn't matter if the whole card was filled with wanna-be jokers from here, I'm still going.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:

He'll definitely have enough time to dream about it, lying unconscious at the feet of Carwin.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTKLR View Post

He'll definitely have enough time to dream about it, lying unconscious at the feet of Carwin.
Now I definetely know you have no clue what you are talking about. That fight will be so short, you will be calling your cable company for a refund on your PPV when Mir rips Carwin's arm off to make an example out of him. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 04:58 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

I'll laugh pretty loud if he can't get through Carwin.

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
I'll laugh pretty loud if he can't get through Carwin.
Yeah, it would be pretty funny. But I'm confident in Mir. Carwin is a one trick pony at this point. His chin hasn't been tested, hasn't gone deep in a fight yet, hasn't faced a submission guy of Mir's level. Just too many questions in concerns of Carwin as this point. I do like him though, I don't hate him like I do Lesnar, but I always try to remain logical about it all.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Lifer

Quote:
...That fight will be so short, you will be calling your cable company for a refund on your PPV...
Well, you're half-right which means you're making progress. Baby steps...

Quote:
...Mir. Carwin is a one trick pony at this point. His chin hasn't been tested, hasn't gone deep in a fight yet, hasn't faced a submission guy of Mir's level....
Last dude that you described like that made Mir's head look like a sack of potatoes with the quickness.

Quote:
...but I always try to remain logical about it all.

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Lifer

When it comes to cocky prick, assholes Mir doesn't take a backseat to anybody. Agree'd Lesner is arrogant too, I wouldn't underestimate Carwin too much!
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:09 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
I don't hate him like I do Lesnar, but I always try to remain logical about it all.
You mean you try to remain logical when Lesnar isn't fighting? C'mon now. Every fight Lesnar has been in you've stated how he was going to lose.
There's a flip side to the Mir coin. As of late he seems to have a problem trying to control a power house with a wrestling background. Carwin has more experience than Lesnar. If Carwin is as quick Mir is in deep trouble. The new found mass that Mir has now is also questionable whether or not it will be used effectively. I think this fight will be better than yet another Lesnar/Mir v.3 fight.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement