Six assistants out at Texas Tech - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Six assistants out at Texas Tech

Six assistants out at Texas Tech
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Texas Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and four other assistant coaches were fired Wednesday as new Red Raiders coach Tommy Tuberville cleared the way for his own staff.

McNeill and assistants Lincoln Riley, Clay McGuire, Brian Mitchell and Eric Russell were let go on Wednesday. A sixth assistant, Carlos Mainord, is retiring.

So far, Tuberville has hired Neal Brown, formerly of Troy, as offensive coordinator. And The Tuscaloosa News reported Wednesday that Alabama linebackers coach James Willis had agreed in principle to become the Red Raiders' defensive coordinator, according to a source close to the situation. Willis worked with Tuberville at Auburn for three seasons, according to the report.

McNeill was named interim coach at Texas Tech when former coach Mike Leach was suspended and then fired over the treatment of a player who had been diagnosed with a concussion. Tuberville and McNeill were the only applicants interviewed to replace Leach.

Riley, who called offensive plays in Texas Tech's 41-31 win over Michigan State in the Valero Alamo Bowl, released a statement asking the school's supporters to support back the new regime and the players, according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal.

"I know many people are upset about many things that have happened, but that is the hand that we have all been dealt," Riley wrote, according to the report. "During this time it is important for all Texas Tech fans to pull together behind the new staff and, most importantly, the players. You have a special group of young men that represent you, and I encourage every Red Raider to never take that for granted."

Meanwhile, "Team Leach," a group of Leach's supporters, was planning to demonstrate Thursday on campus in support of the fired coach.

"[The rally] is to show there are a significant number of people who have concerns about the way coach Leach was fired," group spokesman Charlie Hodges said, according to the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "We have a number of questions we'd like to have answers to. We don't want anything swept under the rug."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Very Interesting

haha, guess turning on Leach didn't pay off in the end.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

all of these coaches have lost there jobs because of 1 freakin kid.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
all of these coaches have lost there jobs because of 1 freakin kid.

OR, one "i don't give a fuck what i do" coach
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert89coupe View Post
OR, one "i don't give a fuck what i do" coach
NO shit. Why can't people understand this KID PLAYER was fucking mistreated by a coach????? Leach is responsible for this, not the kid. GTFO of here with any other reasoning.

Should he have not cried like a little bitch about it? Sure....... But he told the truth and Leach deserved to get his ass fired. Move on.....

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:13 PM
Very Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post
NO shit. Why can't people understand this KID PLAYER was fucking mistreated by a coach????? Leach is responsible for this, not the kid. GTFO of here with any other reasoning.

Should he have not cried like a little bitch about it? Sure....... But he told the truth and Leach deserved to get his ass fired. Move on.....
Are you kidding me?

For telling a whining, spoiled brat of a player, who's attitude brought the team down, to go stand in a dark closet if the light hurt his eyes so bad that he couldn't play?

Was it a bit over the top? sure. Was it abusive or harmful? no.

I've seen coaches make kids run until they puked or passed out, standing in a closet doesn't even compare.

You're only as strong as you allow yourself to be...

Lockout Workout Forums and Supplements
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Fear the Stashe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Matt View Post
Are you kidding me?

For telling a whining, spoiled brat of a player, who's attitude brought the team down, to go stand in a dark closet if the light hurt his eyes so bad that he couldn't play?

Was it a bit over the top? sure. Was it abusive or harmful? no.

I've seen coaches make kids run until they puked or passed out, standing in a closet doesn't even compare.
this

if this kids dad wasn't so powerful it wouldn't even be a story.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Eagles>Cowboys

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkoricky View Post
this

if this kids dad wasn't so powerful it wouldn't even be a story.
That is an issue, and also most of the important peopel at Tech didn't like Leach anyway.

I played sports, I've had coaches make me run till I threw up, I've been yelled at, I've be hit. But if a coach locked me in a fucking closet away from my team to show me his power I'd be more pisssed than any of those other instances.

We've all seen worse or had it happen to us as athletes, doesn't mean the coach is right in the end to do it though. He fucked up and paid a price, that's the way it should be. It just happened to be the fact that he paid a HUGE price being such a high profile Coach........

Stop defending someone for doing an action that was wrong. Was paying for it with his job a justifiable punishment? that's a different story. But he made his own grave in my eyes. If you can't deal with a bratty stuck up kid as a head coach you're in the wrong profession IMO.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Sports weenie @ full attn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecobra95 View Post

I see you were in the band in high school.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Resident Epicurean

[QUOTE=mikecobra95;6056530]That is an issue, and also most of the important peopel at Tech didn't like Leach anyway.

I played sports, I've had coaches make me run till I threw up, I've been yelled at, I've be hit. But if a coach locked me in a fucking closet away from my team to show me his power I'd be more pisssed than any of those other instances.

We've all seen worse or had it happen to us as athletes, doesn't mean the coach is right in the end to do it though. He fucked up and paid a price, that's the way it should be. It just happened to be the fact that he paid a HUGE price being such a high profile Coach........

Stop defending someone for doing an action that was wrong. Was paying for it with his job a justifiable punishment? that's a different story. But he made his own grave in my eyes. If you can't deal with a bratty stuck up kid as a head coach you're in the wrong profession IMO.[/QUOT

You do realize he wasn't actually locked in a closet, right? I can't believe you're sticking up for this pussy. EVERY thing that family did, they were in the wrong. I don't see a single bit of wrongdoing by Leach.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 11:38 PM
CEO of......

I don't understand why so many tech fans liked Leach so much. He didn't even want to be there. Hell, last year he was looking for another job and i'm pretty sure in previous years he was doing the same thing. Cause if he REALLY wanted to stay, all he had to do was suck it up and say "i'm sorry". THAT'S IT!!!

sorry Tech, HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE. but i guess when you're "funny" and talk about fat little girlfriends, people like you for some reason.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Lifer

Not trying to over-simplify, but if Leach hadn't pissed off the AD during his contract negotiations last year, this James thing would have been a non-issue. I never played college ball, but if my high school coach had put me in a dark room, that would have been the least of my worries. After running bleachers for an hour in mid-August, or crab-crawling the length of the field several times, that would have been a vacation. Not only that, but my dad would have laughed at me if I came home crying about it.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
Um, wrong, stick you your reporting of UT sports please

there was no letter of apology, that is a rumor and laughable. You can't fire someone with "cause" for not apologizing, or every coach in the nation could be fired with cause. The administration wanted him to sign a document that would have pretty much been an adendum to his contract stating various new sanctions on him and he didn't want to sign it, nor should he have had to. They used that as "insubordination" and the reason to fire him without breach of contract.

It was all a set-up going back to a year ago.

If Leach didn't want to be there, why did he sign a new contract? That makes no sense what so ever. You don't think some Tech starter kit in the WAC or somewhere would have paid through the nose for him? Please, one year ago he probably could have had almost any job in the country. He isn't stupid, he was using the other interviews as leverage. Everyone knew it, but Tech couldn't take a chance on it.

he begged for interviews with Washington and Auburn and they didn't want him. THAT'S why he finally signed. You can believe what you want cause i'm sure you think you're "in the know" *snickers*

i never said their was a letter of apology to be signed. I said all he had to do was say "i'm sorry". He didn't have to sign shit

Oh, you do realize just because you type it, it doesn't make it the "this is the only way it can be" answer, don't you?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:50 PM
CEO of......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
well, that is pretty damn funny coming from you. Just a simple google of Mike Leach and Auburn will bring up several articles stating that Leach is the one who broke it off with both Auburn and Washington, but believe what you want.

Yea, all Leach had to do was say he was sorry and that would have solved EVERYTHING. You obviously have no fucking clue what you are talking about. Anyone that has read into the situation more than just what ESPN reports knows that is not the case.

and no, I don't realize that, whatever I say is always right, you are just too stupid to realize it.

i never said it would solve EVERYTHING. Can you comprehend shit?

one of these days you'll realize i know more than you like to think i do. But the day that comes, i don't expect you to admit it. Moron
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 PM
The Janitor

that little shithead kid is a dead man on campus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement