Other news in NCAA CFB - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Other news in NCAA CFB

Since there is other news out in the CFB world right now.

Carroll to leave USC for the Seahawks job possibly.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4808557

Seattle Seahawks coach Jim Mora has been fired, the first coach in team history to be let go after one season, and league sources say longtime USC coach Pete Carroll is being targeted as Mora's replacement.

Mora

Mora attended a meeting Friday morning with management, at which time he was told by Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke that he did not win enough games to save his job. The Seahawks lost their final four games to finish 5-11.

Mora was shocked by his dismissal, believing that when he was called to Lieweke's office that he they would be in discussion about the team's vacant general manager's job, Seahawks sources said.

"We've made a tough decision today," Leiweke said in a statement. "It became apparent after conducting an extensive internal audit that a new direction was needed to provide an opportunity for the organization to be successful. Today's decision, while difficult, is part of the process in building a franchise with a new vision in 2010."

Via text message, Carroll said: "You know I haven't responded to a NFL question in two years."

But a league source said Carroll is interested in the job and is trying to persuade USC offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates to join him in Seattle -- as opposed to Bates pursuing the same position with the Chicago Bears.

Said another source close to Carroll: "You're about to see a big headline that shakes up the major college football world," in reference to the Seahawks' development. The Seahawks did not confirm Carroll as a leading candidate but also did not deny it.

The Seahawks are now charged with hiring a coach as well as a general manager; GM Tim Ruskell, who picked Mora to be Holmgren's replacement, resigned during the season. Seattle spoke to Holmgren about the opening but both sides couldn't come to an agreement before the end of the regular season.

The Seahawks plan to begin interviewing general manager candidates next week.

"This team, more importantly this community, means so much to me that it hurts not being able to see this through," Mora said in a team-issued statement. "I am disappointed I did not get the chance to complete my contract. This is a tough business that sometimes demands immediate gratification."

Mora joined the Seahawks in February 2008 on a five-year contract that called for him to transition to head coach once Mike Holmgren retired. Mora was an assistant for the 2008 season, then succeeded Holmgren.

Seattle is 9-23 since its last playoff appearance in January 2008, after four consecutive NFC West titles.

Mora is believed to have about $12 million remaining on the final three years of his contract.

Once Mora was fired, the Seahawks called the Minnesota Vikings to seek permission to interview defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier, the source told Clayton. According to Mortensen, Frazier declined.

Chris Mortensen is ESPN's senior NFL analyst. ESPN.com senior writer John Clayton contributed to this report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

Final AP rankings.

AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Alabama (60) 14-0 1500
2 Texas 13-1 1399
3 Florida 13-1 1370
4 Boise State 14-0 1366
5 Ohio State 11-2 1224
6 TCU 12-1 1163
7 Iowa 11-2 1126
8 Cincinnati 12-1 1060
9 Penn State 11-2 1016
10 Virginia Tech 10-3 953
11 Oregon 10-3 886
12 Brigham Young 11-2 806
13 Georgia Tech 11-3 768
14 Nebraska 10-4 724
15 Pittsburgh 10-3 697
16 Wisconsin 10-3 571
17 LSU 9-4 501
18 Utah 10-3 491
19 Miami (FL) 9-4 310
20 Mississippi 9-4 296
21 Texas Tech 9-4 224
22 USC 9-4 216
23 Central Michigan 12-2 166
24 Clemson 9-5 125
25 West Virginia 9-4 91
Others receiving votes: Oklahoma 90, Oregon State 89, Navy 85, Stanford 67, Oklahoma State 40, Rutgers 37, Auburn 8, Georgia 7, Florida State 6, Connecticut 5, Arizona 5, Middle Tennessee 4, Air Force 3, Arkansas 3, Villanova 2
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

And the way too early 2010 NCAA rankings.

UT 5
THE Ohio State possibly as high as 2!?!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=4804655

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
And the way too early 2010 NCAA rankings.
You can say that again...its fun to speculate though.

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Resident Epicurean

Not sure what to think about this. Personally, I'm of the opinion that Carroll wouldn't be half of what he is without the recruiting power that USC has. And I'm talking strictly about the draw that sunny LA, and the beautiful women thing they have going for them. I'm just sayin, if I was a prospect, USC would be on the short list for those two reasons alone.

I don't know enough about Carroll to know whether he has what it takes or not to cut it in the NFL. Just look at the long list of great college coaches that transitioned, only to fail.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post

I don't know enough about Carroll to know whether he has what it takes or not to cut it in the NFL. Just look at the long list of great college coaches that transitioned, only to fail.
He already had one stint in the NFL didnt he(and it was rather unsucessfull)? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Yes Im too lazy to look

Trevor
White 93 Hatch with some stuff done to it. whistles innocently
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAXX View Post
He already had one stint in the NFL didnt he(and it was rather unsucessfull)? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Yes Im too lazy to look
I honestly couldn't tell you. USC is right in between the SEC and UT on my dislike list.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Good times

Quote:
Final AP rankings.
AP Top 25
RK TEAM RECORD PTS
1 Alabama (60) 14-0 1500
What's a "perfect" score?

Quote:
Final AP rankings.
21 Texas Tech 9-4 224
Hooray?

n/a
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Good times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Studly View Post
McNeil will get it because he is probably a Yes Man for Meyers and the rest of the "Good 'Ol Boys", he will have a lower salary, has a rapport with the team already. Mark it down.
Looks like Tuberville just got the nod. Hopefully he can get the defense up to the standard of the offense.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Lifer

LSU should have fallen to at least 22...several teams behind them are better...and Ole Miss even beat us.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Lifer

I'm stunned that UT finished #2 (I was expecting about 4th). TCU at 6 is probably fair.

Tuberville will bring some real credibility to Tech's program. I think some people were tiring of Leach's quirkiness (is that a word?).

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Good times

Quote:
I am shocked, but glad. At least the administration is making an effort to keep the program going forward. I thought the Leach firing was over money, I would like to see what Tubberville's contract is. Could it be that much less than Leach?
Leach was fired because he was insubordinate and wouldn't listen to the administration. I've heard $2MM for Tuberville, but not from my reliable sources so I don't know. Leach's total was a little over $3MM with endorsements and appearances included.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Good times

Quote:
I think there is a huge difference between why they say he was fired, and why he was actually fired. What they wanted Leach to sign would have had him agreeing to certain guidelines that he did not agree with. He had no reason to sign it, it was not part of his contract. The story about this "apology" letter is horse shit. Leach's law background told him the smart thing to do was to not sign it. The administration saw otherwise. Now, is that really being insubordinate? Should you sign anything your "boss" tells you to sign? Of course not. I am sure there are other things that we don't know about, but I just keep going back to those e-mails between Myers, the Chancellor and that booster. They wanted him gone because they were pissed about the contract and money. I think that is pretty obvious. That is why he was fired. The reasons they gave were to make Leach out to be the bad guy and to have "cause".
I wasn't referring to the most recent events. It has been a long time coming (even before the emails you reference). The administration was hoping to be better prepared when he left and have a smooth exit, but the James family prevented that from happening.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
AHMO!

USC suffered 2 decommits this weekend.

Sarkisan supposedly staying put as well...Could be some major penalties coming soon.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAXX View Post

Yes Im too lazy to look
Patriots and Jets, replaced Parcells at each if I remember correctly
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 AM
The Janitor

im shocked tcu is ranked 7 for 2010. Usually a non-BCS school will get hammered in rankings after a bowl loss .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement