So how is this going to play out in the NFL? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
So how is this going to play out in the NFL?

With the upcoming possible work stoppage in the 2011 season, will owners be willing to fire people this season not wanting to hire new people to multi-year contracts?

Will there even be a played season in 2011?

Will the new commissioner be a problem for new negotations?

I'm not up to speed on all this, so those more educated on it, please enlighten me.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Resident Epicurean

Ahh, the new collective bargaining agreement will get done one way or another. I don't foresee a stoppage at all.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:36 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

"Tomorrow is promised to no one."

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexchick View Post
I fuck, have sex, make love. If I break out the heels and leather...then a fucking it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutherjuggz View Post
Cupping the bawls always helps with the sensation, Good rule of thumb is to tell the gal to rub the balls any chance/angle she gets.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Ahh, the new collective bargaining agreement will get done one way or another. I don't foresee a stoppage at all.
But there seems to be much more being haggled on this time around, salary cap, profit sharing etc.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
But there seems to be much more being haggled on this time around, salary cap, profit sharing etc.
Profit sharing NEEDS to go, IMHO. If a team can't support themselves, they don't need to be in the business. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm biased for a couple reasons.

Financially, I'm very conservative. I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth, in any form other than charity.

I'm in sales as an occupation, and when in sales, you carry dead weight. I.E. Old people that have lost their touch, mind, and initiative. Out of a company of 25ish, sales wise, there are 6 of us that literally carry the load. I've got over 100 accounts, and simpy don't have the time to see them all. Same goes for the rest of the load bearers in my company. We're very top heavy. Two of the partners are also sales reps, and don't do a fucking thing, while collecting fat six figure salaries. I'm slightly bitter over this, obviously.

Lastly, for the love of God, someone needs to put Cleveland, Jacksonville, KC, and St Louis out of their fucking misery already. They aren't competitive, and things aren't getting better any time soon. You can't just throw money (that's not even rightfully yours) at a problem, expecting it to fix itself. Ask Obama in 3 more years how well that worked out for him....

Keep in mind, Goodell is also trying to expand to an 18 game season. That I think, is the biggest hinderence to this deal not getting done, next to the profit sharing deal. Personally, I'm all for it. But my feelings won't get hurt if it doesn't get done, either.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Profit sharing NEEDS to go, IMHO. If a team can't support themselves, they don't need to be in the business. Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm biased for a couple reasons.

Financially, I'm very conservative. I don't believe in the redistribution of wealth, in any form other than charity.

I'm in sales as an occupation, and when in sales, you carry dead weight. I.E. Old people that have lost their touch, mind, and initiative. Out of a company of 25ish, sales wise, there are 6 of us that literally carry the load. I've got over 100 accounts, and simpy don't have the time to see them all. Same goes for the rest of the load bearers in my company. We're very top heavy. Two of the partners are also sales reps, and don't do a fucking thing, while collecting fat six figure salaries. I'm slightly bitter over this, obviously.

Lastly, for the love of God, someone needs to put Cleveland, Jacksonville, KC, and St Louis out of their fucking misery already. They aren't competitive, and things aren't getting better any time soon. You can't just throw money (that's not even rightfully yours) at a problem, expecting it to fix itself. Ask Obama in 3 more years how well that worked out for him....

Keep in mind, Goodell is also trying to expand to an 18 game season. That I think, is the biggest hinderence to this deal not getting done, next to the profit sharing deal. Personally, I'm all for it. But my feelings won't get hurt if it doesn't get done, either.
Interesting.

But it seems the NFL and players are anything but conservative. Look at that monstrosity that Jones just built as an example.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:00 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Interesting.

But it seems the NFL and players are anything but conservative. Look at that monstrosity that Jones just built as an example.
That was just Jerry proving he could get someone else to (help) pay for it so he can keep his money in his pocket.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:03 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
That was just Jerry proving he could get someone else to (help) pay for it so he can keep his money in his pocket.
I like how everyone uses this as an excuse to hate Jerry. Your anger is misguided. You should be more pissed at the Arlington voters that voted for it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
You should be more pissed at the Arlington voters that voted for it.
This. Jerry Jones is simply making the most of what's available to him. Wouldn't you accept if someone offered to help fund a capital investment for your business?

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
This. Jerry Jones is simply making the most of what's available to him. Wouldn't you accept if someone offered to help fund a capital investment for your business?
Jealousy is a bitch. From a business aspect, what he did was fucking genius. And every last fucking one of said people would have done the exact same thing in Jerry's shoes.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Jealousy is a bitch. From a business aspect, what he did was fucking genius. And every last fucking one of said people would have done the exact same thing in Jerry's shoes.
That is true. It was a bad analogy on my part. But you guys get my point.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Lifer

Jerry's a modern P.T. Barnum..."there's a sucker born every minute". Just go buy a $9 beer and a $14 burger at the Deathstar, and see if I'm right!

Jerry's a marketing genius. He paid $140m for the Cowboys, lock, stock, and barrell. It's worth around $1.3 BILLION right now, not to mention all the money he's made from NFL properties, etc.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 PM
CHAMPION

Jerry is brilliant and Im glad to say Im from Dallas-Fort Worth where that HUGE kickass stadium is!

I just hope the SUPERBOWL will be played out... No strike please but if so I'll go give the NFL a go...

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 07:08 PM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

Jerry Jones is a muthafuckin business genius. IMO the citizens of Arlington are going to reap big rewards from that stadium. The stadium ended up costing $1.3BILLION (yea, that's a B) but Jerry kept his word and Arlington tax payers are only on the hook for $325Million.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Resident Epicurean

Y'all should see the business model forthe new Stadium. It's nuts, and the guy is a genius. The way he has it all laid out, what money goes where, etc. The length of time it will take to pay it off, etc. It's all just insane.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:30 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
I like how everyone uses this as an excuse to hate Jerry. Your anger is misguided. You should be more pissed at the Arlington voters that voted for it.
Where did I say I was angry about it? It was a genius move. The dude is worth a shitload of money for a reason.

The only thing Jerry does that angers me is his incessant need to be GM. I have no problem with his want to be in the mix of the day to day affairs of the team, but some things should be left to people that know what they are doing.

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:35 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt3246 View Post
Jerry is brilliant and Im glad to say Im from Dallas-Fort Worth where that HUGE kickass stadium is!

I just hope the SUPERBOWL will be played out... No strike please but if so I'll go give the NFL a go...
The 2010 season is not in jeopardy, it's the 2011 season. Superbowl 45 will be played.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Where did I say I was angry about it? It was a genius move. The dude is worth a shitload of money for a reason.

You didn't. It was a generality on my part, I apologize. A lot of people are pissed at Jerry for what he did, and bitch about it on here all the time. I made an assumption that you were one of 'those people'.

Quote:
The only thing Jerry does that angers me is his incessant need to be GM. I have no problem with his want to be in the mix of the day to day affairs of the team, but some things should be left to people that know what they are doing.

I think he's closer to that than many people think. But that comes with a caveat. Jerry will eventually step back as GM, but he won't be hiring a GM. Stephen is going to step in and take over GM duties when that takes place. And I'm perfectly ok with that. Stephen is a nice guy, and really knows his shit when it comes to foolsball.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Jerry paid for 70% of that stadium out of pocket.

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
Jerry's a modern P.T. Barnum..."there's a sucker born every minute". Just go buy a $9 beer and a $14 burger at the Deathstar, and see if I'm right!

Jerry's a marketing genius. He paid $140m for the Cowboys, lock, stock, and barrell. It's worth around $1.3 BILLION right now, not to mention all the money he's made from NFL properties, etc.
$9 beers are pretty much average price at any pro sporting event. And burgers aren't $14. I paid $6 for a pizza and I think $7 or $8 for a burger the three times I've been there.

Water is outrageous though. $5 per bottle of water...but that seems cheap when it's 90 degrees outside.

post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post

Water is outrageous though. $5 per bottle of water...but that seems cheap when it's 90 degrees outside.
FWIW, when I was younger I used to stand on the corner and sell cokes and water to people coming and going from the Byron Nelson tournament. Back then (90-95 or so), I was charging $5 for a bottle of water. Given inflation, I don't think $5 bottle is all that bad....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement