NFL salary cap likely to disappear - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

NFL salary cap likely to disappear

NFL salary cap likely to disappear
By Mark J. Miller

It is not looking good for the owners and the NFL Players Association to agree to a new collective-bargaining agreement, according to the Washington Post, which means the salary cap is about to disappear for next season. One source told the paper it was "almost a certainty" that the season would be played without a cap.

This will make the off-season even more interesting than usual. One expects there could be plenty of wheeling and dealing.

The salary cap has helped there be some kind of balance between teams since it started in 1993 but all of that is about to change, though folks in the NFL are saying that some restrictions on free agency will keep that balance intact.

But there are plenty of folks who doubt that balance can stay in place without the cap. "The forefathers of our league put personal interests aside to promote competitive balance," Peter Schaffer, a veteran NFL agent, told the paper. "That prevented the NFL from turning into Major League Baseball with George Steinbrenner and the Yankees. . . . Right now you have two of the smallest-market teams out there, Indianapolis and New Orleans, having these wonderful seasons. The salary cap is part of that. If it goes away, it will eventually affect competitive balance."

Source: The Washington Post

So what do you guys think? Anyone think we are about to see some huge changes in players moving or are the free agency restriction going to keep most of it at bay?

I really think there will be few moves since it is most likely only for one season. But the Major market teams could definitely steal some big time players if they wanted to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Resident Epicurean

Jerry Jones will be the Steinbrenner of football, and I'm ok with that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Jerry Jones will be the Steinbrenner of football, and I'm ok with that.
You would think so, but alot of unrestricted free agents will be restricted. That means alot of the teams will end up with the same players they already have at possibly less than what they are already played.

WASHINGTON (AP)—Miles Austin(notes) of the Cowboys, Brandon Marshall(notes) of the Broncos and six other Pro Bowl picks are among more than 200 NFL players who would lose their status as unrestricted free agents this offseason if the league and its union can’t agree on a new labor contract.

According to a list obtained by The Associated Press on Wednesday, there are 212 players who would be considered restricted free agents—instead of unrestricted—if there is no salary cap in 2010. There is at least one player from each of the NFL’s 32 teams on the list.

Pro Bowl linebackers Elvis Dumervil(notes) of the Broncos and DeMeco Ryans(notes) of the Texans are in the group of potentially affected players. So are dozens of other starters from across the NFL, including quarterbacks Kyle Orton(notes) of the Broncos and Jason Campbell(notes) of the Redskins.

“Free agency’s always been something for the players, always been a great thing. If you get one crack at free agency as a player, that’s what you dream of,” Orton said before Denver practiced Wednesday. “How it stands right now … guys aren’t going to be able to have that dream, to be a free agent. That’s a shame for the players, I think.”

In an uncapped year, a player would need at least six years in the NFL, up from the current minimum of four years in the league, to be an unrestricted free agent able to sign with any team.

Dallas receiver Austin was aware his free agency status could change, but said he wouldn’t consider his breakout season bad timing.

“I can’t control any of that,” he said. “I’ve just got to stay focused on the things I can control, and that’s playing this week and playing hard.”

The other players announced Tuesday as selections for this season’s Pro Bowl who could find themselves missing out on a chance to cash in this offseason are Packers safety Nick Collins(notes), Patriots guard Logan Mankins(notes), Saints guard Jahri Evans(notes) and Eagles fullback Leonard Weaver(notes).

In addition to the NFL’s sacks leader (Dumervil), and the NFC’s leader in yards receiving (Austin), other prominent names on the list include Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman(notes), Jets receiver Braylon Edwards(notes), Colts safety Antoine Bethea(notes), Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown(notes) and Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski(notes).

“If you’re a guy that’s been in the league a long time, and you know you’re pretty much set, you probably have a different opinion about it. But if you’re a guy that’s in my position, it’s going to affect us not just short term but long term,” Washington’s Campbell said.

If they lose out on the chance to become unrestricted free agents this offseason, players might not get as big a payoff as they could have been expecting. They also won’t have the luxury of moving freely anywhere in the league.

A restricted free agent’s old club gets a chance to offer the player a one-year contract at different levels of pay which determine what level of draft-choice compensation the old club would receive for losing the player. And the old club has the right to match any offer another club makes to a restricted free agent.

“If you’re a free agent, of course you’ve got a lot of options, but if you’re a restricted free agent, it’s pretty much the team’s choice, depending on what they want to do,” Campbell said.

Other rules changes would go into effect if there is no salary cap in 2010. There would be no minimum or maximum amounts teams could spend on payroll, and each club would get an extra “transition player” tag. A “transition player” must be offered a minimum of the average of the top 10 salaries of the prior season at the player’s position or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, whichever is greater.

“All of a sudden, your rules change,” said Campbell, one of seven Redskins players on the list. “That’s the situation I’ve been dealt and so have other guys on the team.”

AP Sports Writers Jaime Aron in Irving, Texas; Pat Graham in Englewood, Colo.; and Joseph White in Ashburn, Va., contributed to this report.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
You would think so, but alot of unrestricted free agents will be restricted. That means alot of the teams will end up with the same players they already have at possibly less than what they are already played.

I'm ok with that as well. The ones who are restricted, would be wise to only sign 1 year deals. In fact, my money says that's what you're going to see a lot of from guys like Campbell, and Orton. Well, maybe not Orton. I think he'll be gone pretty quick.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:23 PM
The Janitor

i fucking hate baseball with steinbrenner wrecking it with his super warbucks team.

I think NFL football has decent parity. The teams who dont do well dont do well because i think they are poorly managed and neglected by their owners already.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 PM
CHAMPION

Maybe Jerry can buy himself some wins in December Next year...

This has been coming for a while now, HELL the bad part of it is we COULD not even have any football next season. With no CBA the players could strike...

So we'll see. Isnt the 2011 superbowl in Cowboys Stadium. I kept saying wont be a superbowl in Arlington cuz they will be on strike.. haha

Im ready to see what happens

2006 GSX-R 1000
2001 Mustang Bullitt
1992 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement