Brock lesnar withdraws from UFC 106... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Brock lesnar withdraws from UFC 106...

Brock lesnar has not trained for a month due to illness, per sources at MMA Junkie and confirmed by Shane Carwins camp. He has withdrawn from UFC 106.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:42 PM
I'm over it!

Kick ass!! I cant stand that bastard.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Is it too quick for Machida/Rua II? I ouldnt be surprised. I think both fighters could be cleared by then.

Quote:
I sound shit out man, lol. Firefox didnt have a suggestion. I figure A) I'm waay too far off, or B) It's spanish, and Firefox is an English Fox.

I facepalm myself.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Brock Lesnar pulls out of UFC 106 title defense with Shane Carwin due to illness
by Dann Stupp on Oct 26, 2009 at 4:05 pm ET
An illness has forced UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) out of the UFC 106 main event and a planned title fight with Shane Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC).

The news was first reported by Yahoo! Sports, and a source within Carwin's camp confirmed with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) they were aware of the change.

According to the report, which stated Lesnar has been sick and unable to train for nearly a month, the UFC has not determined a replacement fight to headline the show, which takes place Nov. 21 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas.

UFC 106 is one of the deeper cards of the year with former UFC light heavyweight champions Tito Ortiz and Forrest Griffin slotted in the night's co-main event. The bout could take the top spot if a suitable replacement fight can't be booked.

The scrapped main event was supposed to serve as Lesnar's first title defense since unifying the UFC's heavyweight belts with a UFC 100 win over then-interim champ Frank Mir. Lesnar won the title with a November 2008 victory over then-champ Randy Couture.

Carwin, meanwhile, looked to claim his 12th straight win at UFC 106. The 34-year-old has yet to fight longer than two minutes and 11 seconds in any bout. He had posted swift UFC victories over Christian Wellisch, Neil Wain and Gabriel Gonzaga to earn the title shot.

While his resume surely warrants title consideration, Carwin helped his case in landing the title shot by publicly criticizing Lesnar's controversial post-fight comments following UFC 100. Following a rant in which Lesnar scoffed at fans and UFC sponsors alike, Carwin hit social networking sites and conducted many interviews in which he condemned the actions of the former WWE superstar.

Soon after news of the cancellation came out, Carwin posted a simple message on his Twitter account: "Very disappointing."

And though his camp is aware of the change, Carwin hinted in a later posting that he heard the same way most fans did.

"It's [disappointing] hearing about your career and life through the media," he wrote. "Nothing from the [bosses] yet."

The latest UFC 106 card now includes:

MAIN CARD
•Shane Carwin vs. TBA
•Forrest Griffin vs. Tito Ortiz
•Luiz Cane vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira*•Dustin Hazelett vs. Karo Parisyan
PRELIMINARY CARD (un-aired)
•Phil Baroni vs. Amir Sadollah
•Marcus Davis vs. Ben Saunders
•Kendall Grove vs. Jake Rosholt
•Brian Foster vs. Brock Larson*•Paulo Thiago vs. Jacob Volkmann*•Fabricio Camoes vs. Caol Uno*•Jason Dent vs. George Sotiropoulos
* - Not officially announced

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm over it!

I can't wait to see Forrest and Ortiz!!

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Nobody

What illness keeps you sick for a month? I could understand an injury, but being sick for a month? Must have been an abscess in one of his injection sites.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
I can't wait to see Forrest and Ortiz!!
Not going to be anything special really, just Ortiz holding Griffin down and GNP'n him until the ref stops it. I suspect Griffin will be dropping down weight classes before long.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Not going to be anything special really, just Ortiz holding Griffin down and GNP'n him until the ref stops it. I suspect Griffin will be dropping down weight classes before long.
I cant stop staring at your sig!!

You're probably right but I hope Forrest wins. I like that guy.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 04:51 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinson View Post
I cant stop staring at your sig!!

You're probably right but I hope Forrest wins. I like that guy.
I really like Forrest too. But I think something happened after that bad beating he took and hasn't been the same since. Plus, he's facing a finally 100% healthy Ortiz, its going to be a rough fight for Griffin for sure.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Dude there is no way Forrest can make 185. Besides why would he drop down? To fight Anderson?

I need to stop betting with Silvercobra03 because I keep losing.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:21 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88'RAGTOP View Post
Dude there is no way Forrest can make 185. Besides why would he drop down? To fight Anderson?
Griffin can't cut to 185? LOL, ok.

He needs to drop down to be in a division where he can be relevant.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Lifer

Forrest walks at 225ish....a cut to 185 would be pretty damn tough with his frame, I don't see it happening.

--wes
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Large Member

Quote:

I usually agree with you on MMA related stuff but really? I think Forrest would have a really hard time making 185.

Forrest weighing in at 205.

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Did anyone not see what Anthony Johnson did this last fight with his weight? It CAN be done. Anderson Silva walks around about the same weight as Griffin does, but he cuts and he's talking about moving up to heavyweight.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Lifer

Well, Johnson never actually makes weight ....so that's a moot point. (Which cost him a shitload of money it turns out..KO of the night bonus and 20% of his purse)

It's not just the amount of weight to cut, but where is it going to come from??? Forrest has a very different frame than both of the aforementioned fighters. He is very broad and just has a naturally heavier/bulkier frame than both of them.

--wes
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:46 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
Well, Johnson never actually makes weight ....so that's a moot point. (Which cost him a shitload of money it turns out..KO of the night bonus and 20% of his purse)

It's not just the amount of weight to cut, but where is it going to come from??? Forrest has a very different frame than both of the aforementioned fighters. He is very broad and just has a naturally heavier/bulkier frame than both of them.

--wes
I see your point, but what other choices does he have? He can't move up, he'd get destroyed. At LHW, he just becomes a gatekeeper.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I see your point, but what other choices does he have? He can't move up, he'd get destroyed. At LHW, he just becomes a gatekeeper.
Yeah, I agree. It sucks cause he's a decent dude and save his last fight, a pleasure to watch. He's pretty down to earth and seems to know that he wont be in the game forever. Maybe a move outside of the UFC would be best for him? He'd do well in Japan, you know Dream just unveiled their new cage

--wes
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesman View Post
Yeah, I agree. It sucks cause he's a decent dude and save his last fight, a pleasure to watch. He's pretty down to earth and seems to know that he wont be in the game forever. Maybe a move outside of the UFC would be best for him? He'd do well in Japan, you know Dream just unveiled their new cage

--wes
Perhaps, but I doubt Dana would let that happen since he's the UFC poster boy. I really like Forrest too. Very funny, like able guy. But he still has to win fights to remain relevant. I kinda see Dana White doing the same thing to Forrest he's done to Chuck Liddell, keep him on the backburner making UFC appearances and not having to compete against him in another organization. Maybe we will see Forrest on Dancing with The Stars too. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:56 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

this really pisses me off. I wanted to see Brock Lesnar get the shit knocked out of him.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:57 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
this really pisses me off. I wanted to see Brock Lesnar get the shit knocked out of him.
It's still going to happen, just at UFC 108 rather than 106.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 AM
CJ

Quote:
It's still going to happen, just at UFC 108 rather than 106.
i hope so, I just wanted it sooner than later. I honestly thought I couldn't hate him more than I did - I stand corrected.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 AM
Lifer

So either Brock got staph, or the dick on his chest had a herpes breakout.

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:54 AM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
So either Brock got staph, or the dick on his chest had a herpes breakout.
Or can't test clean before then completing his training in that time period...just saying...

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Scared s**tless

Quote:
Or can't test clean before then completing his training in that time period...just saying...
Hahaha that's one of the first things I thought of! I honestly think he got Staph or mononucleosis, though

Quote:

I facepalm myself.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Lifer

Shane Carwin VS Cain Valasquez would be a fight to watch but it's probably too soon. I think if Brock saw these two go at it he might go back to the WWE...LOL
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfan View Post
Shane Carwin VS Cain Valasquez would be a fight to watch but it's probably too soon. I think if Brock saw these two go at it he might go back to the WWE...LOL
Don't kid yourself, Brock thinks he's the greatest ever heavyweight in the UFC. He thinks he would beat Fedor for crying outloud. lol.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Large Member

Quote:
Don't kid yourself, Brock thinks he's the greatest ever heavyweight in the UFC. He thinks he would beat Fedor for crying outloud. lol.
Haha, as much as I don't like him, he just might be the best HW ever in the UFC. Well, he COULD become the best ever... You gotta admit if he ever did fight Fedor, you'd be a little nervous.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 PM
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Haha, as much as I don't like him, he just might be the best HW ever in the UFC. Well, he COULD become the best ever... You gotta admit if he ever did fight Fedor, you'd be a little nervous.
Nah, I'm confident that Fedor would zulu Lesnar. With how he reacted to getting hit by Randy, I don't think he has a chin. And I really don't think Lesnar wants to be on the ground with Fedor either with the way he leaves his arms out.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Large Member

Quote:
Nah, I'm confident that Fedor would zulu Lesnar. With how he reacted to getting hit by Randy, I don't think he has a chin. And I really don't think Lesnar wants to be on the ground with Fedor either with the way he leaves his arms out.
True. He sure didn't like that knee Mir caught him with either. I'd still be worried him though.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:34 PM
Time Served

Quote:

You didnt acknowledge the second part of my post. Forrest would have to contend with Silva no matter where he goes. Sure he could do some real drastic stuff to make 185 but to do it on a consistent basis and still be able to perform at high level is not realistic. The only thing i would suggest for Forrest is to step out of the spotlight for a while and spend a solid year training and revamping his game. He has proven that he can hang with the best. (anyone with wins over Rampage and Shogun can say that)
I think it is funny when a fighter loses two in a row he is automatically done, washed up or never was. He lost to Anderson Silva the best fighter out there right now. (with the exception of Fedor but I dont count him because of his inablity to demand high profile fights. I mean he is fighting Brett Rodgers for crying outloud)

post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:11 AM
AHMO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88'RAGTOP View Post
You didnt acknowledge the second part of my post. Forrest would have to contend with Silva no matter where he goes. Sure he could do some real drastic stuff to make 185 but to do it on a consistent basis and still be able to perform at high level is not realistic. The only thing i would suggest for Forrest is to step out of the spotlight for a while and spend a solid year training and revamping his game. He has proven that he can hang with the best. (anyone with wins over Rampage and Shogun can say that)
I think it is funny when a fighter loses two in a row he is automatically done, washed up or never was. He lost to Anderson Silva the best fighter out there right now. (with the exception of Fedor but I dont count him because of his inablity to demand high profile fights. I mean he is fighting Brett Rodgers for crying outloud)
Brett Rodgers is not a pushover dude...Just because he's not UFC doesn't mean the guy doesn't have talent.
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 AM
CJ

I want to reiterate how much I still hate Lesnar.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Lifer

Lesner with some seasoning could become great champion but to match him up to Fedor now would be like leading the lamb to slaughter. Fedor would submit him on the ground in the first round.

Lesner can wrestle with Valasquez or Carwin anyday but his stand up is weak. So is Valasquez's stand up, Carwin can bang though. Anyway you slice it, the Heavyweight division is one to watch for the next couple of years.
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Brett Rodgers is not a pushover dude...Just because he's not UFC doesn't mean the guy doesn't have talent.
No doubt the dude has talent anyone who holds a victory over Arlovski can say that and the man has serious power. That being said Fedor is way out of this guys league. Sure anything can happen in a fight and he might land a punch that throws Fedor but it is not likely and Fedor really has nothing to gain in this fight.

On a side not i think Brett Rodgers belongs in the UFC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement