Redskins Coaching Scenario - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Redskins Coaching Scenario

Fanhouse.com confirmed that the Redskins tried to hire Shanahan two weeks ago, and he turned the position down.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/#

Who do you think they will wind up with?

List of availables

Gruden
Dungy
Shanahan (now exempt)
Holmgren
Cowher

Possibles after the end of the season

I see Jeff Fisher getting the can. I don't think the Titans downturn is his fault, but I don't see Bud putting up with it, regardless of who is at fault.
Eric Mangini - Likely going to go. Between the mismanagement of Favre's injury last season, and his complete mismanagement of the team in Cleveland, I think he will get fired. I don't ever see him getting another HC position though. He's incompetent.

What does everyone else think? This will also limit the options of the Cowboys. Being that it's quite possible that the Titans, Skins, Browns, and Cowboys will all be looking for head coaches. I couldn't even tell you who the coach in St Louis is, but I'd be willing to bet they will be in the market as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:31 AM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Dungy needs to be taken off of anybody's list. He's said he will not return, that once he decides to retire, it will be for good.

Cowher? Maybe, he's closer to Washington than he was to Pittsburgh, but I see him going to Carolina next year (if he goes anywhere) as John Fox will get the boot at the end of the season.

Holmgren wants to come back, but I think he wants the money the Cowboys would give him compared to what the Skins would.

Gruden? What has he done besides take credit for winning the Super Bowl with Dungy's team?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geor! View Post
Dungy needs to be taken off of anybody's list. He's said he will not return, that once he decides to retire, it will be for good.
I think Dungy will come back. Not immediately, but he'll be back. Time heals all wounds, and usually these guys sleep, breathe, and eat football. It's in their blood, and it's difficult to get away from something when you have passion like that for it. I know, I've tried myself.

Quote:
Cowher? Maybe, he's closer to Washington than he was to Pittsburgh, but I see him going to Carolina next year (if he goes anywhere) as John Fox will get the boot at the end of the season.
Possibly, but if the incentives are right, I think he'll uproot if the conditions were right.

Quote:
Holmgren wants to come back, but I think he wants the money the Cowboys would give him compared to what the Skins would.
I'm not that happy about this. As far as I'm concerned, the jury is still out on Holmgren, IMO.

Quote:
Gruden? What has he done besides take credit for winning the Super Bowl with Dungy's team?
I thought the same at first. A friend of mine brought it to my attention that Gruden had the Raiders in the conf championship game before he left to go to TB.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Lifer

I think the obvious issue here is the owners of the Redskins, and Cowboys. They cannot help themselves, they have to be directly involved with all the day to day actions of the team, and it is NOT needed. None of those coaches are going to want Snyder hovering over their shoulder watching every move. That is why dallas, and washington will forever have the mediocre coach until these two owners are gone.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Clown

BCoop, I hate to say this but Wade is the best coach that will actually work for Jerry unless Cowher, Shanahan or Dungy are granted the same sort of room to make decisions as Parcells was.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 11:18 PM
Lifer

Shanahan didn't rule out coaching the team after the season ended. He turned him down these past two times because he didn't want to take any part in that mess.

Coming into this season I really thought Washington might be good this year and that we'd really have to fight our way for a good spot in our division, but this is actually pretty hilarious.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
BCoop, I hate to say this but Wade is the best coach that will actually work for Jerry unless Cowher, Shanahan or Dungy are granted the same sort of room to make decisions as Parcells was.
I don't agree with that completely. Yeah, Jerry would have to give Cowher or Dungy rule of the roost for them to consider coming here. I don't know why, but I have a gut feeling that Shanny could very well wind up here. I didn't think so at first, but I'm slowly changing my mind on that. With he and Jerry being buddies, it's quite possible.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 AM
Nobody

I think you will see Gruden in Dallas and if Cowher were to come back, Tennessee, or Washington would be my guess as to where he lands. Of course, I'm sure there are a couple of teams more than willing to give Fisher a chance if he were to get the boot.

New Project 1964 C10 350/700r4
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Lifer

Fisher can coach Dallas anytime. I would have no problem with that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperWho? View Post
I think you will see Gruden in Dallas and if Cowher were to come back, Tennessee, or Washington would be my guess as to where he lands. Of course, I'm sure there are a couple of teams more than willing to give Fisher a chance if he were to get the boot.
I'd be good with Fisher. Then Shanahan, then Gruden.

I posted on here a while back that a little birdy told me that Jones was interested in Gruden. I'd be willing to bet that Gruden will be the next HC of the Cowboys, but I'd sure like to see him get Fisher.

This, of course, is all based on the assumption that Fisher is fired at the end of the season. And right now, I don't see a reason why he wouldn't be.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Lifer

Gruden might be the most fit for it. He did have to deal with Al Davis. So he does know how to work with those kinds of owners. Just don't bring in the quarterback carousel.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Lifer

I don't really want Gruden to coach Dallas. I don't think he's all that special, or at least not compared to guys like Cowher or Shanahan.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Who do you think they will wind up with?

List of availables

Gruden
Dungy
Shanahan (now exempt)
Holmgren
Cowher
I would guess Gruden will be the next HC of the 'Skins.

In my opinion it would be great if Dungy took over the job here from Phillips, but I don't see it happening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement