UFC 107 looking to be good! - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
UFC 107 looking to be good!

•Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
•Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
•Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
•Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
•Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
•Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
•Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
•Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
•Houston Alexander vs. Kimbo Slice



It's also been discussed that Mir's fight after Kongo could be a match with Anderson Silva who is looking to move up to Heavyweights for a challenge.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....

Last edited by JKD; 10-14-2009 at 12:21 AM.
JKD is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Lifer
 
11sec4eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bedford
Posts: 1,192
Silva does walk around at close to 220 lbs but Mir would have over 20 on him.
11sec4eyes is offline  
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
•Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
•Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
•Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
•Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
•Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
•Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
•Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
•Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
•Houston Alexander vs. TBA*



It's also been discussed that Mir's fight after Kongo could be a match with Anderson Silva who is looking to move up to Heavyweights for a challenge.
Card will be decent. Mir will dominate Kongo for sure, the guy has zero ground game.
And Penn over Sanchez for sure
GSXR_Mike is offline  
 
post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11sec4eyes View Post
Silva does walk around at close to 220 lbs but Mir would have over 20 on him.
205-215 seem's more realistic
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Antonio a.k.a hell in the summer time
Posts: 1,197
I hope Kongo has been practicing his ground game. If not, Mir will dominate him.
robrayLX is offline  
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
I read earlier its rumored Kimbo slice will fight houston Alexander
SBCcoupe is offline  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCcoupe View Post
I read earlier its rumored Kimbo slice will fight houston Alexander
That would be fun to watch, because they would just stand in front of eachother. I doubt it will happen though unless Kimbo drops weight classes.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
Catch weight maybe??? Would definately be entertaining for the minute or so they fought.....one of them would get caught.
SBCcoupe is offline  
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 23
Rumor: Kimbo Slice Vs. Houston Alexander Could Happen At UFC 107





Fiveouncesofpain.com appears to have the scoop on this potential slugfest:

A slugfest between Kimbo Slice and Houston Alexander is looking like a strong possibility for UFC 107.

A source close to the situation advised FiveOuncesofPain.com today that although no bout agreements have been sent, at least one of the fighters has been formally approached about the possibility of the bout.

UFC 107 is scheduled for December 12 from Memphis, Tennessee, and will feature a headlining lightweight championship bout between B.J. Penn and Diego Sanchez.

Kimbo would be coming off of the heels of his appearance on “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights“, and his recent TUF 10 loss at the hands (and moon-sized belly) of Roy “Big Country” Nelson. Prior to his stint at the TUF house Kimbo suffered a lightning quick TKO defeat to Seth Petruzelli after racking up wins over guys like Tank Abbott and James “Colossus” Thompson.

Alexander recently bounced back into the winners circle with a first round TKO over Sherman Pendergarst during Adrenaline IV in September, following three consecutive defeats with the UFC
SBCcoupe is offline  
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Large Member
 
Mr. Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Terrell
Posts: 2,330
B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez
Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
•Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
•Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
•Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
•Houston Alexander vs. TBA*

Anderson isn't going to HW any time soon according to Dana. He said he'll have to clean out the 205 div before he considers it. I can see a few of these fights going either way but I made some picks...
Mr. Smith is offline  
post #11 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez
Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
•Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
•Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
•Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
•Houston Alexander vs. TBA*

Anderson isn't going to HW any time soon according to Dana. He said he'll have to clean out the 205 div before he considers it. I can see a few of these fights going either way but I made some picks...
The fighter against Houston Alexander is rumored to be Kimbo Slice

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #12 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 12:39 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 614
I think bj has met his match at lightweight with Diego!

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1- DailyDriver

1996 MYSTIC Cobra #405 of 2000- High RPM Nitrous build in progress...

WisH4SvTs is offline  
post #13 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 04:59 AM
Large Member
 
Mr. Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Terrell
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
The fighter against Houston Alexander is rumored to be Kimbo Slice
Yeah I heard that, I'd still pick Kimbo. I think his ground game is better than Houston's...
Mr. Smith is offline  
post #14 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 07:18 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
I think bj has met his match at lightweight with Diego!
Willing to make a $$$ wager on that?
Nate is offline  
post #15 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 AM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
I think bj has met his match at lightweight with Diego!
Bwahhahassfghjlkroflz!

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
post #16 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Biggums View Post
Bwahhahassfghjlkroflz!
Hush...Diego has a great chance!!!!

WisH4SvTs- How much?
Nate is offline  
post #17 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Lifer
 
blownaltered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Sachse
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
•Champ B.J. Penn vs. Diego Sanchez (for lightweight title)
•Kenny Florian vs. Clay Guida*
•Cheick Kongo vs. Frank Mir
•Thiago Alves vs. Paulo Thiago
•Paul Buentello vs. Todd Duffee*
•Alan Belcher vs. Wilson Gouveia*
•Kevin Burns vs. T.J. Grant*
•Ricardo Funch vs. Johny Hendricks*
•Houston Alexander vs. Kimbo Slice



It's also been discussed that Mir's fight after Kongo could be a match with Anderson Silva who is looking to move up to Heavyweights for a challenge.
Diego Sanchez will win because of his stamina and pace
Clay Guida just because I don't like Kenny Florian
Frank Mir because Kongo has no ground game besides being a punching bag
Thiago Alves as long as he puts on a better fight than he did against gsp
Houston Alexander should run through Kimbo like water but I have seen strange things happen. Haven't seen Houston's ground game so they should both stand there and bang, so it will be a punchers chance.

Photobucket
blownaltered is offline  
post #18 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Vikings are next!
 
4.6 Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Little Mexico
Posts: 8,501
I don't think diego has a chance against penn..

02 GT
X-pipe and flows

4.6 Love is offline  
post #19 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 10:33 AM
Lifer
 
11sec4eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bedford
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
Diego Sanchez will win because of his stamina and pace
Clay Guida just because I don't like Kenny Florian
Frank Mir because Kongo has no ground game besides being a punching bag
Thiago Alves as long as he puts on a better fight than he did against gsp
Houston Alexander should run through Kimbo like water but I have seen strange things happen. Haven't seen Houston's ground game so they should both stand there and bang, so it will be a punchers chance.
I could have sworn people were saying the same thing about Kenny florian. BJ was better at 170 then sanchez ever was. If he thinks he is going to take that belt with stamina, hahahahahahahahahaha. And Lmao at Kimbo vs Alexander, I bet it goes to desy.
11sec4eyes is offline  
post #20 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Yeah I heard that, I'd still pick Kimbo. I think his ground game is better than Houston's...
Not to be a dick, but when I read that, I seriously laughed outloud. Kimbo has no ground game, he barely even has the concept down let alone actual game. And neither of those two are going to the ground. Alexander is fresh back into the UFC after losing his contract awhile back. He's going to try and KO Kimbo to make a statement.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #21 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM
Lifer
 
jw33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MARINE CORPS EXTREMIST
Posts: 7,724
BJ has a small gas tank..... just sayin.
jw33 is offline  
post #22 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Oooooooh-whee
 
Tyrone Biggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: What up with that? What up with that?!
Posts: 10,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw33 View Post
BJ has a small gas tank..... just sayin.
At times, but it sure wasn't evident in his last fight where he went three and half rounds with Florian then submitted him via rnc.

8/16/05
Tyrone Biggums is offline  
post #23 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
I think bj has met his match at lightweight with Diego!
I don't see that happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
Yeah I heard that, I'd still pick Kimbo. I think his ground game is better than Houston's...
Yeah Kimbo has like the greatest ground game ever, just ask Elitexc



Penn is in horrible shape
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #24 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wes' Siide! (Plano that is)
Posts: 61
you guys are underestimating Sanchez. Watch his youtube videos of ADCC 2005 absolutes--especially his match vs Marcelo Garcia. Yeah he lost, but he held his own most of the match. And against Marcelo-fucking-Garcia for god's sake. Sanchez is world class on the ground, not just a run-of-the-mill BJJ blackbelt like Florian. I'm not saying he will destroy Penn. But he certainly has a shot at winning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.6 Love View Post
I don't think diego has a chance against penn..
flied_lice is offline  
post #25 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Crandall
Posts: 935
wow great card some dam good fights
1bad306 is offline  
post #26 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by flied_lice View Post
you guys are underestimating Sanchez. Watch his youtube videos of ADCC 2005 absolutes--especially his match vs Marcelo Garcia. Yeah he lost, but he held his own most of the match. And against Marcelo-fucking-Garcia for god's sake. Sanchez is world class on the ground, not just a run-of-the-mill BJJ blackbelt like Florian. I'm not saying he will destroy Penn. But he certainly has a shot at winning.
I'm not saying he's not good....Penn is better though.

If you want to put your money where your mouth is about how good Sanchez is on the ground PM me.
Nate is offline  
post #27 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Lifer
 
Zfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,811
I hope Penn loses but I doubt it will happen. Kimbo's ground game, your smoking some mean shit man.
Zfan is offline  
post #28 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Large Member
 
Mr. Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Terrell
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Not to be a dick, but when I read that, I seriously laughed outloud. Kimbo has no ground game, he barely even has the concept down let alone actual game. And neither of those two are going to the ground. Alexander is fresh back into the UFC after losing his contract awhile back. He's going to try and KO Kimbo to make a statement.
You think Houston is any good on the ground?
Mr. Smith is offline  
post #29 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smith View Post
You think Houston is any good on the ground?
I wouldn't say he's good, but I would say that he's been in the game long enough to know basic escapes and sweeps to where Kimbo has no clue.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #30 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Lifer
 
Zfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 2,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I wouldn't say he's good, but I would say that he's been in the game long enough to know basic escapes and sweeps to where Kimbo has no clue.
Bingo! Kimbo has zero game on the ground, standing up trading is his only chance.
Zfan is offline  
post #31 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Large Member
 
Mr. Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Terrell
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I wouldn't say he's good, but I would say that he's been in the game long enough to know basic escapes and sweeps to where Kimbo has no clue.
I guess we can agree they both suck on the ground.
Mr. Smith is offline  
post #32 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM
SEB
CAPTAIN CAVEMAN AGGGWHOOO
 
SEB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 12,211
I think Houston will knock Kimbos ass out!
SEB is offline  
post #33 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Addison
Posts: 41
Kimbo!!!!!!!!!
copcar is offline  
post #34 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by copcar View Post
Kimbo!!!!!!!!!
Kimbo earned 9 exclamation point's?
wow everything EliteXC said about how great he is must be true.
Wonder why that promotion isn't around anymore
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #35 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 831
I would like to see Kimbo get K.O'd good, the set fight was quick and lame, I want to see kimbo get beat up and K.O'd...... Brock and Kimbo??

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. "



1998 Suburban
1968 Mustang (sold, November 21, 2009)
2010 Fusion
1999 F-350DRW
thrshr68 is offline  
post #36 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrshr68 View Post
I would like to see Kimbo get K.O'd good, the set fight was quick and lame, I want to see kimbo get beat up and K.O'd...... Brock and Kimbo??
That would be nice, since Brock won't be the champ after the Carwin fight anyway.
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #37 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 831
I am no Brock junkie fan, but he is entertaining to watch. He is a freak of nature for sure....TUF10 is becoming more and more entertaining.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. "



1998 Suburban
1968 Mustang (sold, November 21, 2009)
2010 Fusion
1999 F-350DRW
thrshr68 is offline  
post #38 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_Mike View Post
That would be nice, since Brock won't be the champ after the Carwin fight anyway.
I can't stand Brock either, but I seriously doubt he will be the one to beat Lesnar. Carwin is going to be like everyone else and stand right in front of him to try and KO him. He's going to get hit from 6 feet away with Lesnar's long right cross and get bum rushed for takedown where Lesnar will just pound on him until the referee stops it.

Lesnar, 1st round TKO.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #39 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I can't stand Brock either, but I seriously doubt he will be the one to beat Lesnar. Carwin is going to be like everyone else and stand right in front of him to try and KO him. He's going to get hit from 6 feet away with Lesnar's long right cross and get bum rushed for takedown where Lesnar will just pound on him until the referee stops it.

Lesnar, 1st round TKO.
Man I know the odd's are against him, but I gotta think that Carwin is the one who can keep Brock from taking the domination position. Lesnar got slightly rocked by that soft knee Mir tagged him with in the last fight, Carwin has the power and quickness to take him out. Carwin also has a decent ground game. I just hope he doesn't try to wrestle the big bastard
GSXR_Mike is offline  
post #40 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Lifer
 
VETTKLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TX Panhandle
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisH4SvTs View Post
I think bj has met his match at lightweight with Diego!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Willing to make a $$$ wager on that?
cha-chinnnnnng

VETTKLR is offline  
post #41 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by VETTKLR View Post
cha-chinnnnnng
Still waiting for sparky to lock in a bet.
Nate is offline  
post #42 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXR_Mike View Post
Man I know the odd's are against him, but I gotta think that Carwin is the one who can keep Brock from taking the domination position. Lesnar got slightly rocked by that soft knee Mir tagged him with in the last fight, Carwin has the power and quickness to take him out. Carwin also has a decent ground game. I just hope he doesn't try to wrestle the big bastard
It's possible for sure that Lesnar can get caught like anyone else. The issue is size and weight. Heavyweights are naturally big and clumsy, add the factor of one of them is a dominant wrestler and it's enevitably going to end up on the ground. A lottery punch is the only chance Carwin has unfortunately. Lesnar has a suspect chin, but it takes timing to hit it with as fast as he is. Lesnar can only be submitted a million different ways, but it takes someone near his size and crafty for position which is why Mir was able to do it.

No one more then myself would love to see Lesnar handed another loss. Wrestlers who are stuck in their ways are boring fighters to watch. Just grinding out wins by decision or ref stoppage is lame.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #43 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
It's possible for sure that Lesnar can get caught like anyone else. The issue is size and weight. Heavyweights are naturally big and clumsy, add the factor of one of them is a dominant wrestler and it's enevitably going to end up on the ground. A lottery punch is the only chance Carwin has unfortunately. Lesnar has a suspect chin, but it takes timing to hit it with as fast as he is. Lesnar can only be submitted a million different ways, but it takes someone near his size and crafty for position which is why Mir was able to do it.

No one more then myself would love to see Lesnar handed another loss. Wrestlers who are stuck in their ways are boring fighters to watch. Just grinding out wins by decision or ref stoppage is lame.
Which one is the dominant wrestler? They are both wrestlers.

"Carwin wrestled in college, becoming a two-time NCAA Division II Wrestling National Runner-Up Heavyweight in 1996-7, and the NCAA II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion in 1999. He was also a two-time All-American in football."

"Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach.[16] Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999.

Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[1] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college.[17]"

Carwin is both his size and a wrestler, I don't see why you are so dead set on him just flat out rolling thru Carwin with his wrestling.

And winning by ref stoppage is lame? lol...Winning by decision can be boring but ref stoppage, submission/taps, or knockout usually is a decisive finish (i.e. not Roy nelson vs kimbo stoppage) but most others.
Nate is offline  
post #44 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM
Lifer
 
11sec4eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Bedford
Posts: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Which one is the dominant wrestler? They are both wrestlers.

"Carwin wrestled in college, becoming a two-time NCAA Division II Wrestling National Runner-Up Heavyweight in 1996-7, and the NCAA II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion in 1999. He was also a two-time All-American in football."

"Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach.[16] Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999.

Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[1] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college.[17]"

Carwin is both his size and a wrestler, I don't see why you are so dead set on him just flat out rolling thru Carwin with his wrestling.

And winning by ref stoppage is lame? lol...Winning by decision can be boring but ref stoppage, submission/taps, or knockout usually is a decisive finish (i.e. not Roy nelson vs kimbo stoppage) but most others.
I couldnt agree more. Brocks hands are a size blah blah and his speed for his size is yadda yadda. Well this will be the first time he will not be any bigger then the guy standing in front of him. IMHO Carwin is a far better striker than Lesy, and his wrestling is just as good. I took up fpr Lesy against Mir but this time around he will be done for.

As for 107, I would love to see Guida work Florians face in the ground. And now that Florian is no longer with sityodong I think he wont be the same fighter at all. There is nothing like having that kind of trainer in your corner, period.

My prediction is that Penn will make Sanchezs face look like Sean Sherks after that fight. Penns bjj is lightyears ahead of that douche.Sanchez is no GSP and never will be.
That is all for now lol!!
11sec4eyes is offline  
post #45 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Which one is the dominant wrestler? They are both wrestlers.

"Carwin wrestled in college, becoming a two-time NCAA Division II Wrestling National Runner-Up Heavyweight in 1996-7, and the NCAA II Wrestling Heavyweight National Champion in 1999. He was also a two-time All-American in football."

"Lesnar later attended the University of Minnesota on a full wrestling scholarship for his junior and senior years of college; his roommate was fellow professional wrestler Shelton Benjamin who also served as Lesnar's assistant coach.[16] Lesnar won the 2000 NCAA wrestling championship as a heavyweight after placing second in 1999.

Prior to joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers, Lesnar also wrestled at Bismarck State College in Bismarck, North Dakota.[1] Lesnar finished his amateur career as a two-time NJCAA All-American, 1998 NJCAA Heavyweight Champion, two-time NCAA All-American, two-time Big Ten Conference Champion, and the 2000 NCAA heavyweight champion with a record of 106–5 overall in four years of college.[17]"

Carwin is both his size and a wrestler, I don't see why you are so dead set on him just flat out rolling thru Carwin with his wrestling.

And winning by ref stoppage is lame? lol...Winning by decision can be boring but ref stoppage, submission/taps, or knockout usually is a decisive finish (i.e. not Roy nelson vs kimbo stoppage) but most others.

Judging by their histories in the cage, Lesnar is by far the more dominant wrestler. And yes, winning by stoppage the way Lesnar does it by just holding someone down is lame. He's not showing any progress in technique. But doing what he is working for him.

How about a little wager Nate. As much as I hate Lesnar, I'll bet on Lesnar easily going through Carwin. Lets say, loser gets a thai kick in the thigh from the winner?

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #46 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 12:16 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
Judging by their histories in the cage, Lesnar is by far the more dominant wrestler. And yes, winning by stoppage the way Lesnar does it by just holding someone down is lame. He's not showing any progress in technique. But doing what he is working for him.

How about a little wager Nate. As much as I hate Lesnar, I'll bet on Lesnar easily going through Carwin. Lets say, loser gets a thai kick in the thigh from the winner?
I didn't say Carwin would win...I just said he's not just your average striker with no ground game.

How about this...Carwin wins you come role with us one night for a drop in class...you know I don't know how to throw a punch or kick myself.
Nate is offline  
post #47 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
I didn't say Carwin would win...I just said he's not just your average striker with no ground game.

How about this...Carwin wins you come role with us one night for a drop in class...you know I don't know how to throw a punch or kick myself.
I'd like to, but that's WAY too far to go during the week. The earliest I could even get to that side of town would be around 9pm or so.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #48 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:04 PM
AHMO!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: the original let me google that for ya guy
Posts: 16,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
I'd like to, but that's WAY too far to go during the week. The earliest I could even get to that side of town would be around 9pm or so.
Saturday classes.
Nate is offline  
post #49 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict
 
JKD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Posts: 16,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate View Post
Saturday classes.
Can't.

Shrimp'n ain't easy....
JKD is offline  
post #50 of 67 (permalink) Old 10-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Banned
 
GSXR_Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD View Post
It's possible for sure that Lesnar can get caught like anyone else. The issue is size and weight. Heavyweights are naturally big and clumsy, add the factor of one of them is a dominant wrestler and it's enevitably going to end up on the ground. A lottery punch is the only chance Carwin has unfortunately. Lesnar has a suspect chin, but it takes timing to hit it with as fast as he is. Lesnar can only be submitted a million different ways, but it takes someone near his size and crafty for position which is why Mir was able to do it.

No one more then myself would love to see Lesnar handed another loss. Wrestlers who are stuck in their ways are boring fighters to watch. Just grinding out wins by decision or ref stoppage is lame.
Man Lesnar isn't really much bigger than Carwin at all, Have you checked the stats on them lately? Carwin is the better striker and has won a few fights via submission.
So far I have $50 and my hair bet on Carwin so I gotta try to see the positive.
GSXR_Mike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome