With Ken Griffey Jr retiring - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

With Ken Griffey Jr retiring

would anyone really care or get upset if he was found to have done steroids? I honestly don't think he did them. By the end of his career he had weight gain, but only because he was getting older and fatter. I was just thinking about this when I saw pics of him being carried off the field.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

I'd be extremely upset, but there's nothing in his career that points to steroid use.

It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy; dude could have been one of the greatest to ever play the game. Still my favorite player of all time.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
I'd be extremely upset, but there's nothing in his career that points to steroid use.

It's a shame he couldn't stay healthy; dude could have been one of the greatest to ever play the game. Still my favorite player of all time.
He is my favorite player of all time too. He definitely was the greatest to ever play the game in the last 20 years IMO. No one played D and stroked the bat like he did. I still hate the day I heard he was going to Cincinatti. That changed his career forever.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstng86 View Post
He is my favorite player of all time too. He definitely was the greatest to ever play the game in the last 20 years IMO. No one played D and stroked the bat like he did. I still hate the day I heard he was going to Cincinatti. That changed his career forever.
Meh. The move to Cincinnati wasn't a good one, but the injuries did a lot more to hamper his progression than did the change of scenery.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:50 AM
LUCIFER

He will always be considered one of the greats. Great ball player right there

2004 GT Conv't

MODS:
FLOWS, 3.73'S, BASSANI O/R X-PIPE, ACCUFAB 75MM TB, PLENUM, AND VORTECH V-3 SUPERCHARGED

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
would anyone really care or get upset if he was found to have done steroids? I honestly don't think he did them. By the end of his career he had weight gain, but only because he was getting older and fatter. I was just thinking about this when I saw pics of him being carried off the field.
he didnt take steroids, he had a great swing and had great timing. His body or his figure never changed. He didnt gain a bunch of muscle like Barry Bonds. Im a big Griffey fan, I loved the way he played the game. He played with class and respect. In my mind he is the greatest player in baseball in the last 20 years.

St. Louis Rams 4-4
rams Pictures, Images and Photos

marshall faulk Pictures, Images and Photos
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:01 PM
Clown

Quote:
After reading your statement I started thinking about all the great players over the last 20 years to see if maybe there was one better. I couldn't come up with any who didn't have some sort of controversy surrounding them.

The last one of the modern day "Greats" to retire was Tony Gywnn IMO....He was and still is a class act.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
After reading your statement I started thinking about all the great players over the last 20 years to see if maybe there was one better. I couldn't come up with any who didn't have some sort of controversy surrounding them.

The last one of the modern day "Greats" to retire was Tony Gywnn IMO....He was and still is a class act.
You could talk about him, Cal Ripken, maybe Greg Maddux. I honestly can't think of anyone else that would be in the argument.

You have to throw out everyone else almost.

Jeter has been around just as long, but he doesn't have the numbers.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM
T-MINUS

I feel old. I remember when his Topps rookie card was the one to have.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
I feel old. I remember when his Topps rookie card was the one to have.
Me too, but it was Upper Deck from what I can remember. I have it in a case. He is just a kid in the pic.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:36 PM
Clown

Quote:
You could talk about him, Cal Ripken, maybe Greg Maddux. I honestly can't think of anyone else that would be in the argument.

You have to throw out everyone else almost.

Jeter has been around just as long, but he doesn't have the numbers.
Cal Ripken is definitely in that list, though he is more know for the "Streak" than all of his on field accomplishments. As far a pitchers, there are a few but I can't count them as most didn't hit and the ones that did weren't good hitters anyways. Jeter deserves to be in that list, though its tough when you are a great player surrounded by other great players on a great team

Another I could add to the list is Kirby Puckett though his career was cut short.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
Cal Ripken is definitely in that list, though he is more know for the "Streak" than all of his on field accomplishments. As far a pitchers, there are a few but I can't count them as most didn't hit and the ones that did weren't good hitters anyways. Jeter deserves to be in that list, though its tough when you are a great player surrounded by other great players on a great team

Another I could add to the list is Kirby Puckett though his career was cut short.
Puckett is another good one. I was also thinking of Frank Thomas. he was just as hot as griffey for a while, but then injuries started to take there toll. I really think that was steroid related though. That guy was huge, and got hurt constantly about 6 years in.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Clown

Quote:
Puckett is another good one. I was also thinking of Frank Thomas. he was just as hot as griffey for a while, but then injuries started to take there toll. I really think that was steroid related though. That guy was huge, and got hurt constantly about 6 years in.
Thomas' personality keeps him out of that list.....Attitude could have had something to do with what you mentioned. Cecil Fielder is another....but first base? Keith Hernandez was the only true defensive first baseman in my mind. Also, Fielder is not real classy with regards to what he tried to pull on his son along with all the gambling stories.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
tex
Lifer

I hate Derek Jeter, but he has to be in the list of top players. The ironic thing about Jr is that people only talk about the loss of numbers due to injury, and not realize that he's still in the upper echelon of the top players of all time. Yes he had the potential to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 guys, but he's still an instant HOFer with an injury plagued career.

The only guy that I think deserves to be discussed with Jr as the 'best' of the last 20 years, is really too young in his career to gain traction, and that's Pujols.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I hate Derek Jeter, but he has to be in the list of top players. The ironic thing about Jr is that people only talk about the loss of numbers due to injury, and not realize that he's still in the upper echelon of the top players of all time. Yes he had the potential to be considered one of the top 2 or 3 guys, but he's still an instant HOFer with an injury plagued career.

The only guy that I think deserves to be discussed with Jr as the 'best' of the last 20 years, is really too young in his career to gain traction, and that's Pujols.
Yea Pujols came to mind but like you said, he hasn't been around long enough. How many seasons did Jr. miss due to injury?? I am thinking at least 4 seasons, in the prime of his career. Kind of like Ted Williams going to war right in the middle of his career.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Me too, but it was Upper Deck from what I can remember. I have it in a case. He is just a kid in the pic.
Multiple. UD, Topps, Fleer, donruss and who ever else made them.

The UD was huge because it was the first year of that brand. Somewhere, I have the entire set (and most brands from 1986-1994).

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Multiple. UD, Topps, Fleer, donruss and who ever else made them.

The UD was huge because it was the first year of that brand. Somewhere, I have the entire set (and most brands from 1986-1994).
UD is about the only thing worth keeping from back then in Baseball. Rookie cards are all you should really bother keeping from then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement