Can anyone answer a few softball questions please? I.E. which bat for which ball? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Can anyone answer a few softball questions please? I.E. which bat for which ball?

I started playing softball again(last time I played I was 16). The league Im in states that you have to use a softball that's a 12'' 40cor. I started looking on line and I cant figure out what the difference between an 11'' and 12'' softball is other than the number. Iv figured out what the differences in cor are. I also never knew that using a certain bat for certain balls made that much of a difference. I was using one of my old bats and my coach told me to use his bat. First hit with his bat and I nailed the fence. I kept getting grounders with my bats. Anyway, does anyone know which bat to use for that softball? Id rather buy my own bat then use the coaches all of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785 View Post
I started playing softball again(last time I played I was 16). The league Im in states that you have to use a softball that's a 12'' 40cor. I started looking on line and I cant figure out what the difference between an 11'' and 12'' softball is other than the number. Iv figured out what the differences in cor are. I also never knew that using a certain bat for certain balls made that much of a difference. I was using one of my old bats and my coach told me to use his bat. First hit with his bat and I nailed the fence. I kept getting grounders with my bats. Anyway, does anyone know which bat to use for that softball? Id rather buy my own bat then use the coaches all of the time.
Are you playing in the ASA or USSSA league?

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:57 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Miken Psycho

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Easton Stealth or Miken Vicious for the 40cor ball...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 AM
Time Served

It does depend on what league you play in. ASA has a much more strict policy on bats than USSSA. I swing an Easton Stealth and love it. Worth's Mutant and Titan are favorites for some of the teams in my league.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Time Served

http://www.softballbats.com/

You can probably find them cheaper but this shows just about every bat made.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Lifer

You cant go wrong with the Miken Freak series either...the psycho is supposedly better but I have never swung it. I hear it needs no breaking in to get hot.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I looked up some of those bats and there's no freaking way Im paying $300 for a bat.
I was thinking a good bat would be $100 or less. Guess I was completely wrong.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Time Served

I've never swung a Miken bat. I've still got a Demarini Juggy/F3/375, Anderson MAtrix and Rocketech. I think I paid anywhere from $140 to $275 for them. It's not that hard to get a decent amount of cashed wrapped up in bats.

It happens to be a well thought out and reasoned dissertation on drug use and a lyrical cost/benefit analysis of various kinds of drugs, drawing the conclusion that beer is the best of them all.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Lifer

If you want the best you have to pay...you may be able to find them cheaper on ebay or CL.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:35 PM
tex
Lifer

For a softer ball like a .40 cor, you don't necessarily need a high dollar bat, you want something stiffer, and preferably heavier. The only bat I swing is a Worth Mayhem 120, which is basically the same bat as a Miken Freak+, and they can both be had for around 170 shipped, new. Your best bet is to go to softballfans.com/forums, and look for a used bat. PM me here after you register, and I'll give you a reference, they do a lot of selling there, but at times they don't really trust newbies. Hell I might even make you a deal on my Mayhem if you're interested, I won't be playing much until spring due to a torn labrum.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
For a softer ball like a .40 cor, you don't necessarily need a high dollar bat, you want something stiffer, and preferably heavier. The only bat I swing is a Worth Mayhem 120, which is basically the same bat as a Miken Freak+, and they can both be had for around 170 shipped, new. Your best bet is to go to softballfans.com/forums, and look for a used bat. PM me here after you register, and I'll give you a reference, they do a lot of selling there, but at times they don't really trust newbies. Hell I might even make you a deal on my Mayhem if you're interested, I won't be playing much until spring due to a torn labrum.
I just registered over there. How much you want for that bat?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Whats the difference between a cheap bat and an expensive bat? I talked to my coach and the one he let me borrow was a $30 walmart bat and I managed to hit the fence with it.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 10:55 PM
tex
Lifer

Bigger sweet spot, better durability, better pop. Composite bats have a break-in effect, as the fibers loosen up, and my bat is about as good as they get.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM
BP
Keep your unicorns

Quote:
Whats the difference between a cheap bat and an expensive bat?
A cheap bat is just stiff and the ball bounces right off of it where it makes contact. The better bats have some flexibility and get the ball into the sweet spot more often and they'll actually whip the ball out further. Of course it depends on the individual hitter which works better. Given your size I'd think the cheapo wal-mart bats would be fine. Depending on your league rules balls over the fence aren't always a good thing!

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
Depending on your league rules balls over the fence aren't always a good thing!
Very true, if you don't have the bat control to swing away and keep the ball in the park, a hot bat isn't for you.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP View Post
A cheap bat is just stiff and the ball bounces right off of it where it makes contact. The better bats have some flexibility and get the ball into the sweet spot more often and they'll actually whip the ball out further. Of course it depends on the individual hitter which works better. Given your size I'd think the cheapo wal-mart bats would be fine. Depending on your league rules balls over the fence aren't always a good thing!
I home run per team per game. No one else on my team is a heavy hitter.
Thanks for the advice!
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
I home run per team per game. No one else on my team is a heavy hitter.
Thanks for the advice!
What park, what league?
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Mens Rec. 1 White Settlement(West Ft Worth) at veterans parks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement