class act for a kid trying to turn his life around - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
class act for a kid trying to turn his life around

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/co...asp?CID=992976

Cartman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Banned
 
aceman85turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
Posts: 1,752
he should have played his hardest the entire night.

i hate this "Everyone is a winner" bullshit. if someone is better than you, you need to become better.
aceman85turbo is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman85turbo View Post
he should have played his hardest the entire night.

i hate this "Everyone is a winner" bullshit. if someone is better than you, you need to become better.
Did you even read the article?

HOOCBB is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Banned
 
aceman85turbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: If I listened to you, i would have a mustang just like yours!
Posts: 1,752
yes, instead of scoring he stopped and took a knee. he should have just run it in. classy is nice, kids should play to win.
aceman85turbo is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 831
I wonder why he was in trouble.

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't. "



1998 Suburban
1968 Mustang (sold, November 21, 2009)
2010 Fusion
1999 F-350DRW
thrshr68 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:00 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
1. I wonder how he got in trouble.

2. Why didn't he just go down easily or take a knee when he caught the kickoff?

3. This is a shitty fucking story. What was the point of the truck crash being included?
poopnut2 is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
1. I wonder how he got in trouble.

2. Why didn't he just go down easily or take a knee when he caught the kickoff?

3. This is a shitty fucking story. What was the point of the truck crash being included?
the players that got hurt were from the small school the one that was hurt bad gave a speech to his teammates b4 the game.

instead of making those kids feel even more like shit, he took a knee so as to not run up the score, like UT tries to do.

Cartman is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
instead of making those kids feel even more like shit, he took a knee so as to not run up the score, like UT tries to do.
You know, in my mind, what he did is worse. Had he knelt down immediately, or gone down on the first hit, that would've been class. It's like he's saying, "I'm better than all of you, and having just shown it with that incredible run, I'll stop right here to save you some embarrassment on the scoreboard. But we all know what really happened."

And LOL @ the UT thing. Totally different. Close wins can't improve their standing can hurt it (and improve other teams').


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
the players that got hurt were from the small school the one that was hurt bad gave a speech to his teammates b4 the game.

instead of making those kids feel even more like shit, he took a knee so as to not run up the score, like UT tries to do.
After last year, UT learned that not running up the score is what cost them a chance at the National Championship. Stupid. It's not like HS where there is a playoff system.

The story still sucked. Almost as bad as letting the retard score a touchdown at Richland. I'm pretty sure it was Richland. Like somebody already said. Not everybody is a winner. I remember in highschool being wrecked by Chase Daniels and his Southlake team. Did we cry on the way home? No. It's fucking sports. You win if you're better and you lose if you're not.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
... like UT tries to do.
lmao
slow99 is offline  
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
After last year, UT learned that not running up the score is what cost them a chance at the National Championship. Stupid. It's not like HS where there is a playoff system.

The story still sucked. Almost as bad as letting the retard score a touchdown at Richland. I'm pretty sure it was Richland. Like somebody already said. Not everybody is a winner. I remember in highschool being wrecked by Chase Daniels and his Southlake team. Did we cry on the way home? No. It's fucking sports. You win if you're better and you lose if you're not.
it isn't about everybody needs to win... it is about being a class act and not rubbing it in to a team that you are clearly better than. I don't think every kid should get a trophy for playing only the winners should, but what he did was great. it showed class, yea it would have looked better if he went down when hit, but he is playing and it is hard to just stop or take a dive. but he made a good choice in kneeling at the 5.

Cartman is offline  
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
it isn't about everybody needs to win... it is about being a class act and not rubbing it in to a team that you are clearly better than. I don't think every kid should get a trophy for playing only the winners should, but what he did was great. it showed class, yea it would have looked better if he went down when hit, but he is playing and it is hard to just stop or take a dive. but he made a good choice in kneeling at the 5.
Me being competitive as hell would've been insulted if I was on the losing team. Sure, the parents might like it, and it looks better on paper and makes for a shitty story to be posted on a Dallas/Fort Worth Mustang website, but I can guarantee you that no kid on the opposing team thought it was a good "noble" choice.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:05 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
it isn't about everybody needs to win... it is about being a class act and not rubbing it in to a team that you are clearly better than. I don't think every kid should get a trophy for playing only the winners should, but what he did was great. it showed class, yea it would have looked better if he went down when hit, but he is playing and it is hard to just stop or take a dive. but he made a good choice in kneeling at the 5.
Another touchdown wouldn't have made any difference. He rubbed it in when he went the whole length of the field and stopped. Regardless of what the scoreboard or stats say, he ran it all the way back for a touchdown.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Me being competitive as hell would've been insulted if I was on the losing team. Sure, the parents might like it, and it looks better on paper and makes for a shitty story to be posted on a Dallas/Fort Worth Mustang website, but I can guarantee you that no kid on the opposing team thought it was a good "noble" choice.
it would have been an insult if they drove down the field and did that, how often do KO's get returned all the way for a TD, so it isn't like he could do that at will. instead of being a mack brown and put as many points as he can he took a knee.

Cartman is offline  
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:17 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
it would have been an insult if they drove down the field and did that,
And it somehow wasn't an insult that he'd beaten every one of them and then decided, "Hey, I should be a nice guy and not score"? Under different circumstances, that might even be taunting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
how often do KO's get returned all the way for a TD, so it isn't like he could do that at will. instead of being a mack brown and put as many points as he can he took a knee.
Hmmm...
Quote:
Thamail Morgan is the type of player who can dominate a high school game. On every play.
...
"I did not tell him to kneel down, he did it on his own," Bradley said. "I did not expect them to kick it to him. I figured they would kick away, because he has the ability to break away. I did not know that he was going to do what he did. He broke tackles, ran sideline to sideline, and got to the 2, and just stopped. That is when he backed up and took a knee on the 5-yard line."
And get off your high horse. Texas isn't the only team to run up a score to give itself a chance to play for a national championship.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
it would have been an insult if they drove down the field and did that, how often do KO's get returned all the way for a TD, so it isn't like he could do that at will. instead of being a mack brown and put as many points as he can he took a knee.
Well, from the post, against the team they were going up against, he could. Chances are, if he would've went down, the coach would've said to take a knee.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the TX thing. Mack Brown took a knee against Tech. I unfortunately didn't get to see the other games, but considering that's what he did all year long last season, I doubt it changed much. Fucking Oklahoma beat a team 60 something to like 7 their second game this year. Get your shit straight before spouting off retarded and ignorant bullshit.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Well, from the post, against the team they were going up against, he could. Chances are, if he would've went down, the coach would've said to take a knee.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the TX thing. Mack Brown took a knee against Tech. I unfortunately didn't get to see the other games, but considering that's what he did all year long last season, I doubt it changed much. Fucking Oklahoma beat a team 60 something to like 7 their second game this year. Get your shit straight before spouting off retarded and ignorant bullshit.
this has been proved already that UT scored more points in the 4th than OU, which is why I can say UT.

the coach didn't tell him to take a dive, he made that choice. we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I can see where you are talking about it would be like shit talking, but in this case with those kids dealing with the off the field stuff, to me that is classy.

Cartman is offline  
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
this has been proved already that UT scored more points in the 4th than OU, which is why I can say UT.

the coach didn't tell him to take a dive, he made that choice. we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I can see where you are talking about it would be like shit talking, but in this case with those kids dealing with the off the field stuff, to me that is classy.
I can't remember if it was you or somebody else posted the stats. Looking into it further, it comes down to OU's attempts at scoring more points. They can be 20 points up in the 4th with 2 minutes to go and a first down. Instead of kneeling it, they'll run. They'll put the ball in the hands of a low fumble back and try to score. UT might score more points but the games that I've seen where there's just a couple minutes left and they have the ball, they'll knee it. I guess running up the score is different in college. Basically you keep trying to score until you know you could have the last possession. Then you knee it. Which OU doesn't do. Thank the BCS for this, BTW.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
One time, my car wouldn't start. A dead battery can render your car unable to start. I therefore concluded that my car had a dead battery.
slow99 is offline  
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
The Decent Guy
 
Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Posts: 8,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
I can't remember if it was you or somebody else posted the stats. Looking into it further, it comes down to OU's attempts at scoring more points. They can be 20 points up in the 4th with 2 minutes to go and a first down. Instead of kneeling it, they'll run. They'll put the ball in the hands of a low fumble back and try to score. UT might score more points but the games that I've seen where there's just a couple minutes left and they have the ball, they'll knee it. I guess running up the score is different in college. Basically you keep trying to score until you know you could have the last possession. Then you knee it. Which OU doesn't do. Thank the BCS for this, BTW.
lol...it wasn't me that posted anything that helps OU. I just use that because it irks UT fans.

Cartman is offline  
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
lol...it wasn't me that posted anything that helps OU. I just use that because it irks UT fans.
Ok. Just saying. UT typically kneels the ball when there's no time left. Unless OU is in a one-score situation, they won't.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
I'd like to talk shit about what Arkansas does to make it to the National Championship game, but...they're never in contention so we have no way of knowing.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:07 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertnut View Post
I'd like to talk shit about what Arkansas does to make it to the National Championship game, but...they're never in contention so we have no way of knowing.
I guess you live in AK? That's why you made the post? If so...I guess kinda disregard what I said. You just have to understand that I'm in Texas and saw an out of state post and wondered how this made "national" news.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
I guess you live in AK? That's why you made the post? If so...I guess kinda disregard what I said. You just have to understand that I'm in Texas and saw an out of state post and wondered how this made "national" news.
I'm pretty sure that Vertnut doesn't live in Alaska.
slow99 is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Banned
 
poopnut2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: On the Fence
Posts: 20,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Vertnut doesn't live in Alaska.

Whoops....AR. I thought that would be Arizona...which in the back of my head knew was AZ...so I don't know. No excuse.

On a side note, Alaska would be cool to live in for about 3 or 4 months a year. My grandparents have taken a few cruises up there and told me that you haven't breathed until you take a breath in Alaska. I've been as close as Banff, Canada, but I was 10 years old, and can't remember.
poopnut2 is offline  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Genetically Blessed
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: An Investment Bank
Posts: 13,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopnut2 View Post
Whoops....AR. I thought that would be Arizona...which in the back of my head knew was AZ...so I don't know. No excuse.

On a side note, Alaska would be cool to live in for about 3 or 4 months a year. My grandparents have taken a few cruises up there and told me that you haven't breathed until you take a breath in Alaska. I've been as close as Banff, Canada, but I was 10 years old, and can't remember.
Yeah, I've heard that Alaska is the shit.
slow99 is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:40 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow99 View Post
One time, my car wouldn't start. A dead battery can render your car unable to start. I therefore concluded that my car had a dead battery.
Logical conclusion. Is that the kind of logic they teach at the University of Texas?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Ellis County
Posts: 18,370
WTF did I miss? I took a dig at Cartman's hogs...that's it. Alaska? WTF?

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Vertnut is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 11:48 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Apparently you're not wanted in Texas but you're too good to live in Arkansas, so the only logical place to put you is Alaska.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 PM
Lifer
 
Avery'sDad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Red Oak
Posts: 1,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
You know, in my mind, what he did is worse. Had he knelt down immediately, or gone down on the first hit, that would've been class. It's like he's saying, "I'm better than all of you, and having just shown it with that incredible run, I'll stop right here to save you some embarrassment on the scoreboard. But we all know what really happened."
When I read the story I was thinking how the hell is that classy. He only kneeled down when everybody yelled at him not to score.

The story should have been. "Local jerk who didn't make to the bigger colleges tries to run up the score in a game that is already over and only kneels when his own players yell at him to stop"
Avery'sDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome