Steroids in the NFL - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Steroids in the NFL

Williams and Williams in Minnesota and now Smith and .... that other guy in New Orleans.

Goodell said none of the players' suspensions are being enforced due to the "competitive imbalance" the suspensions would create? How does baseball get taken to the cleaner by the press, the public and the US Congress and football does the same thing and it's shrugged off like Donte Stallworth running over a man because he's high and drunk.

Is this what we've come to expect from football?

/rant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Lifer

I agree its total BS, If there going to enforce it in the MLB then they need to in the NFL.

1967 Camaro SS/RS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Texas Rangers #1

If the steroids scandal had hit the NFL first, I think we would hear alot more about it, but since we've been hammered non stop with steroids in the major leagues, pretty much everyone just assumes that some/most pro athletes are on some performance enhancing drug. It's sad, but that's were we are now.

I don't agree with allowing the players to continue to play if they have been caught, just because it would create an "imbalance" for their team. If that is the case, then no one should be suspended or reprimanded for any drug/performance enhancing test failures... and any athletes that were (Shawn Merriman, Ricky Williams, etc.) should get some compensation back from the NFL for having their pay docked when they were suspended.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Lifer

Goodell said it wouldn't be enforced for now. Once the season is over and the court decides what to do about the two Williams then they'll go from there.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
Goodell said it wouldn't be enforced for now. Once the season is over and the court decides what to do about the two Williams then they'll go from there.
I just think it's a sham. They took the drugs so they would help them during the season, they should be disqualified for the season they were trying to have an unfair advantage in.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Lifer

Isn't this the case where the league incorrectly told both teams that the players could take said drugs and then blamed it on the teams? If that's the case then I think that's totally the league's fault.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Texan

Quote:
Isn't this the case where the league incorrectly told both teams that the players could take said drugs and then blamed it on the teams? If that's the case then I think that's totally the league's fault.
All the players tested positive for banned diuretics that are used to mask steroids.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 GT 2 View Post
All the players tested positive for banned diuretics that are used to mask steroids.
I haven't followed this closely, but didn't the Williams take a supplement that contained traces of a diuretic, not actually take the diuretic itself?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I haven't followed this closely, but didn't the Williams take a supplement that contained traces of a diuretic, not actually take the diuretic itself?
That's what I thought.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
That's what I thought.
I could have sworn that was the story I read. If I recall correctly, the supp they took was on the approved list, but the supp itself contained traces of a diuretic that was on the banned list....

*IF* that's the case, it's all on the NFL. They should be more clear about shit like this, especially considering how much of a hot topic this is these days.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Lifer

Yeah that's the case I think this is. And if that's the case then it's the NFL's fault imo.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
I could have sworn that was the story I read. If I recall correctly, the supp they took was on the approved list, but the supp itself contained traces of a diuretic that was on the banned list....

*IF* that's the case, it's all on the NFL. They should be more clear about shit like this, especially considering how much of a hot topic this is these days.
They took Starcapps which had traces of the banned substance but was not listed as being in the capsules. Starcapps had been approved by the league based on what was listed in them. That is why the Williams's have taken it to court. Will Smith and Charles Grant also tested positive for the same reasons, and I believe there were a few more but they decided to sit the suspensions out and move on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement